Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Anybody Seen My Baby?
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 29, 2023 09:13

DandelionPowderman
RisingStone
Along with Love Is Strong, people often claim Anybody Seen My Baby is one song that doesn’t work live. Regardless, I enjoyed both when they played them on stage, and hope they will revive them on the future performances.

And Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice…why did the lead singles from the modern Stones albums live a short life and then go discarded once the tour behind each album finished except for a sporadical appearance here and there, while the classics from the 60s and 70s remain in the setlist for ever? These four tunes are all good in my humble opinion, and by no means ‘deep cuts’ only a hardcore can appreciate. I think this is part of the reason the Stones are regarded as a legacy act. Not so modern Stones aren’t they?

They dusted off Mixed Emotions a couple times, though.

I know. That’s why I put, “except for a sporadical appearance here and there.”

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2023 09:15

Pheeew yeah ... Mixed Emotions live ...

Sweat on the boards hard working soul classic ... Lurv ya Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2023 10:55

Rockman
Anybody Seen My Baby .... ahead of its time ...
Way cool production .... Pounds from the speakers ....

Lurv the funky video ...
Featuring a young Angelina Jolie

Ahead if its time, yeah, at least for me back then! I recall it sounding a bit artificial, a kind of odd choices here and there: a bit of Michael Jackson to begin with (you know, "Billie Jean" and all that stuff), the rap part, the chorus and the guitars sounding more like classical but a bit too obvious Stones cliches (instead of k.d.long I thought the chorus was based more like on "Jumpin' Jack Flash", and I still think that Mick was initially up to, although picking up "Constant Craving", probably unconsciously, in the process). Probably my first impression was: a forced attempt to update their sound. Even the title of it made me going: WTF? (I liked the video, though.)

But like it happens with many great Stones tracks, it takes some time to see the brilliance in production. Now I think it all fits beautifully together, all those little details - like damn tasty guitar parts - work very well there. And the track breaths - it is no way 'over-produced' - there is a lot happening, but there is still a lot of space there. Sexy stuff. It sounds so unique compared to anything done by anyone - like the best Stones tracks do. If they were thinking making a hit for contemporary scene, they failed. But instead they made a track for eternal use, to stand listenings, to grow up. The father time has been really kind to it, working for it. The track transcends time and space.

It probably belongs to the corner of "Miss You" and "Undercover of The Night" in their singles history: picking up some contemporary sounds to fresh up their sound. But do that with a good taste so that the result sounds natural and convincing, even delicious (sometimes that is not the case, unfortunately). Thank god Mick aborted the idea of a solo album, and instead used his ideas and creative energy for the Stones here.

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-29 11:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 29, 2023 13:46

I love ASMB - I think most people probably do - but it must have a lot to do with its production as live it falls flat, a bit like Love Is Strong as above.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 29, 2023 15:16

DGA35
More Hot Rocks
lem motlow
How did they give KD Lang a credit on a song that sounds nothing like hers and on the same album they played “ Poppa was a rollin stone” with different lyrics and no one mentions it?

seeeeeeeeen myyyyyyyy baaaaaaayby

connnnnnnnn staaaant craaaaving

its the exact same melody line this is why from what I read that they gave her credit.

Exactly! I don't know how some people can't hear the similarity. As has been mentioned numerous times, she didn't threaten any lawsuit, they just gave the credit to her. It's weird that I think of that as a fairly new Stones song but it's now 26 years old!!

I've sung Constant Craving over ASMB countless times, and for the life of me I've never been able to match it up, so I think it's quite easy to NOT see the connection.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2023 15:51

VoodooLounge13
DGA35
More Hot Rocks
lem motlow
How did they give KD Lang a credit on a song that sounds nothing like hers and on the same album they played “ Poppa was a rollin stone” with different lyrics and no one mentions it?

its the exact same melody line this is why from what I read that they gave her credit.

Exactly! I don't know how some people can't hear the similarity. As has been mentioned numerous times, she didn't threaten any lawsuit, they just gave the credit to her. It's weird that I think of that as a fairly new Stones song but it's now 26 years old!!

I've sung Constant Craving over ASMB countless times, and for the life of me I've never been able to match it up, so I think it's quite easy to NOT see the connection.

Well, the melody line (and the tempo) is exactly the same. But it is, after all, just one line in a chorus. An important, a catchy one indeed, but still interesting that they were willingly, with no outer pressure, giving the co-credits. A right thing to do, for sure, but if that would have been the general norm and procedure there would be a helluva lot co-credits all over the board. Not just in their originals, but about anyone's.

Actually it would have been interesting to see what had happened if they would have not and the composers of "Constant Craving" had sued them. After the "Stairway To Heaven" case, most likely the Stones had won: it is the wholeness of the song that matters, you know, what kind of unique impression it as a whole makes, not its individual passages.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-29 16:01 by Doxa.

Date: November 30, 2023 02:23

k.d. lang and co-writer Ben Mink discuss 'Constant Craving' and 'Anybody Seen My Baby' in these two articles below.

Classic Track: “Constant Craving,” k.d. lang

kd lang and Ben Mink: how we made Constant Craving

Ben Mink has also been a sideman to Canadian music acts such as Murray McLauchlan and a member of FM (Canadian prog-rock band).

Mink is also known for his electric violin solo on the RUSH song 'Losing It'.

Ben Mink also collaborated with Geddy Lee on his 2000 solo album My Favourite Headache.

There's also the two Heart albums he produced, which are Red Velvet Car (2010) and Fanatic (2012).

Ben Mink released a solo album in 1980 called Foreign Exchange. The album has a song called 'Talk Is Cheap'. I had to mention that in relation to Keith Richards solo album with the same title.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 20:12 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 30, 2023 04:03

I don’t hear anywhere near enough similarity to have given them writing credit.It’s Only Rock n Roll sounds much more like Bang the Gong.Yer Blues has elements of Heartbreak Hotel .Please Please Me and Hey Baby etc.ASMB is a great song.Bridges to Babylon is a great album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 04:10 by Taylor1.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 30, 2023 05:46

Taylor1
I don’t hear anywhere near enough similarity to have given them writing credit.It’s Only Rock n Roll sounds much more like Bang the Gong.Yer Blues has elements of Heartbreak Hotel .Please Please Me and Hey Baby etc.ASMB is a great song.Bridges to Babylon is a great album

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-30 12:19 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2023 06:57

RisingStone
Along with Love Is Strong, people often claim Anybody Seen My Baby is one song that doesn’t work live. Regardless, I enjoyed both when they played them on stage, and hope they will revive them on the future performances.

And Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice…why did the lead singles from the modern Stones albums live a short life and then go discarded once the tour behind each album finished except for a sporadical appearance here and there, while the classics from the 60s and 70s remain in the setlist for ever? These four tunes are all good in my humble opinion, and by no means ‘deep cuts’ only a hardcore can appreciate. I think this is part of the reason the Stones are regarded as a legacy act. Not so modern Stones aren’t they?

Claims are right.

One Hit didn't work in 1989.

Some songs just don't come across live. Mick doesn't even bother to eumulate the studio performance live and that's its biggest failure.

Not very goodly; horrible, actually, but they insisted.

The other tunes you mentioned... they just didn't cut it live past their tours. No need to push recent tunes because even though 2 million copies were sold, the HOT ROCKS/REWIND crowd consists of the most millions of people seeing Stones shows so... they also push older songs on the same tour, She Was Hot - probably unknown in general.

If they only insisted on new songs from an album, current or older, instead of YGMR and SFTD etc.

Or even the deluxe reissue singles.

As much as Mick is anti- nostalgia (good/interesting tunes are just that, not nostalgia) he sure does love it.

Date: December 1, 2023 12:32

Never understood why they didn't modulate ASMB up a couple steps for live performance. It's a killer song but sounded terrible on tour.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 1, 2023 13:49

Doxa
VoodooLounge13
DGA35
More Hot Rocks
lem motlow

Well, the melody line (and the tempo) is exactly the same. But it is, after all, just one line in a chorus. An important, a catchy one indeed, but still interesting that they were willingly, with no outer pressure, giving the co-credits. A right thing to do, for sure, but if that would have been the general norm and procedure there would be a helluva lot co-credits all over the board. Not just in their originals, but about anyone's.

Actually it would have been interesting to see what had happened if they would have not and the composers of "Constant Craving" had sued them. After the "Stairway To Heaven" case, most likely the Stones had won: it is the wholeness of the song that matters, you know, what kind of unique impression it as a whole makes, not its individual passages.

- Doxa

At any rate, Ed Sheeran could learn a thing or two from the Stones in this respect.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home