Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Anybody Seen My Baby?
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 20, 2008 17:44

Totally agree with Gazza...song was dreadful live...Keith always says the Demo version blows away the B2B version...and I'm sure Keith cringes everytime he hears the rap part.

Song is mediocre at best...Out of Control and Saint of Me blow it away and especially live.

PECMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:04

the rap at the end is ridiculus. Otherwise I like it. I agree that the live performance is not very good though. what I don't like is Mick tries to "rap" with Bernard and it doesn't work, its just kind of embarrasing.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:05

it truly was embarrassingly bad on stage. at the time of the album release, the song seemed kinda chic/hip....looking back and listening to it now, it seems like a lame attempt to sound relevant/current.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:13

T&A
....looking back and listening to it now, it seems like a lame attempt to sound relevant/current.

I agree. On the other hand, "Might As Well Get Juiced" was a much more succsessful attempt at sounding current IMHO.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:14

Used to like it...Now I usually fast forward to "Lowdown"

Did liked it live back in the day.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:18

ryanpow
T&A
....looking back and listening to it now, it seems like a lame attempt to sound relevant/current.

I agree. On the other hand, "Might As Well Get Juiced" was a much more succsessful attempt at sounding current IMHO.

i realize others violently disagree - but Juiced is among the handful of truly GREAT songs the band has put out in the past-quarter century, imo. it's a song right outta EOMS...and the lone live version from msg '98 only left me wanting them to make it a live staple....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:28

I like ASMB more than Miss You and Emotional Rescue on Forty Licks in terms of it's freshness. It fits in very well with those worn out songs (MY, ER) and outshines the new songs - especially Keys To Your Love - with exception to Losing My Touch. Wasn't there some funky mix without the rap for that break?

I've always thought of it as the 1990s ER because of how Mick speak/sings it, the odd snort here and there. Great groove.

It works well on the album with Flip The Switch, Lowdown, You Don't Have To Mean It, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Too Tight, Thief In The Night and How Can I Stop. The other tunes are too trying to be current. ASMB is current yet still retains a sense of Stones reality. And is much better done.

What is the rap anyway? What does it say? The entire thing. "We came to rock Brooklyn, Queens, all of the Bronx, can't forget Manhattan and Staten Island...all over the world..everybody...all right bitch"?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2008 21:13

>> What does it say? The entire thing <<

We came to rock Brooklyn and Queens
And Manhattan and the Bronx
And Staten Island, I can't forget New Jersey
And Long Island and all over the world
We came to rock for everybody like this
- courtesy of [www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: October 20, 2008 22:38

That's hilarious! I always thought is said We came to rock everybody alright bitch!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 20, 2008 23:21

It has three electric guitars and only one acoustic. I think, they should try it the other way around. It has an "acoustic" feeling to me.

Date: October 20, 2008 23:52

Little late for the eh?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 21, 2008 00:11

A real good song!
Always liked it. One of thir best NEW tunes.

Good sound with some very nice and warm guitarplaying.
This song brought them back on the radio and sounded great anytime it came on!
The video was one of their best as well and had a lot of screenings too.!
Now and again they bring out an untypical Stonessong and mostly these are interesting and really good ones!

I always wondered that so many found it such a bad livetune.They started off quite weak and unsure but later on in Europe I heard some real good live renditions!
Still very underrated imo !!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 21, 2008 00:19

This one instantly takes me back to 1997 and the B2B tour. I always liked it, mainly for Mick's work on the chorus.

Never cared for the rap, although it wasn't a dealbreaker. I think the Dust Bros. later implied it was something they dropped in afterwards, and Mick simply went along with it.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 21, 2008 01:08

Gazza
performance wise - I dont think there was ever a Stones song in their history as a live band which was so consistently dreadful in concert. It stopped every show dead in it's tracks and was about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

The studio version though is a little gem that's greatly underrated. Especially the second half of it. Not a classic, but still bloody good.

And I still maintain that Waddy Wachtel's solo at the end is one of the most beautiful pieces of music on any Stones record in the last three decades.

Great point about the solo, GMan.

The rap portion was, I think, a nod towards the then current R n B trend of having a pointless/irrelevant/absurd/wretched/great/spiffing (delete according to poison preference) rap in the middle of the song. Back then hip hop and r n b were starting to cross-pollinate. And Jagger drafted Babyface to produce something off Bridges to Babylon (which was ultimately rejected), so my guess is the rap was his idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-21 01:14 by Nikolai.

Date: October 21, 2008 01:33

Love the song - very Jaggerish but so what. That's the beauty of those guys. Each song starts off as either Keith inspired or Mick inspired - then they get together and make something bigger and better. I love the Bridges album. Best in decades IMHO.

Date: October 21, 2008 03:30

On a different note it's their coolest video ever I think.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 21, 2008 03:43

Great song on the album indeed and not so great live unfortunately.
I never knew Watchel played the solo on the end though. It sounded like a solo Ronnie could have done. Anybody know why he played it instead of Ronnie?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: October 21, 2008 04:05

Cause Ronnie was drunk?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 21, 2008 04:46

I think their 90's stuff is very strong and underrated, VL is full of great songs and half of B2B is pretty good too.
ASMB is GREAT, the last minute or so is awesome.
It was their last hit, their last song with decent airplay on both radio and TV and it was 11 years ago!

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: October 21, 2008 07:00

georgelicks
I think their 90's stuff is very strong and underrated, VL is full of great songs and half of B2B is pretty good too.
ASMB is GREAT, the last minute or so is awesome.
It was their last hit, their last song with decent airplay on both radio and TV and it was 11 years ago!

Georgelicks - Are you able to post any of the chart information for ASMB please?

I recall in Australia it got airplay for about 1 - 2 weeks & the single & album was pretty much gone after that. That's just how I remember it.

How did the charts fare for this track in the USA / EUROPE?

I love the track & the album, especially SOM / ASMB, TITN, DHTMI, Gunface, AOM, OOC well all of it really.

Any chart info you could share on ASMB would be interesting & appreciated.

Thanks

Silverstones69

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 21, 2008 07:03

I like the song, it's eerie but actually fairly lighthearted. I dislike the rap for the opposite reason to most--I like rap music, but this rap sucks. Very halfhearted and an obvious bid for currency. But it only lasts a few seconds.

Good cut, but it's no "Juiced."

I also thought it was ron on the lead guitar--how do we know it's Waddy Wachtel? Is it also WW on "Saint of Me"? That's also a lovely part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-21 07:04 by cc.

Date: October 21, 2008 10:34

Brilliant recording. Mediocre song. The live versions from the last shows of the tour weren't that bad actually. Bremen comes to mind.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: October 21, 2008 12:20

This song on stage was being ruined by Keith .Totally absence of crunchy guitar present on record.Maybe it was Waddy`s track.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 21, 2008 13:14

>> This song on stage was being ruined by Keith <<

LoFL - the Chicago opening-night rendition wasn't!
that skinny little frontman cat - bless his face! - is so jittery it's downright funny :E
which doesn't suit this number too well. but i forgive him - he can't help being a bag of nerves on first nights

Date: October 21, 2008 13:15

<This song on stage was being ruined by Keith .Totally absence of crunchy guitar present on record.Maybe it was Waddy`s track.>

Keith plays quite similar to what he did on the studio recording. Don't blame him.

Date: October 21, 2008 13:17

<Anybody know why he played it instead of Ronnie?>

Actually, Ronnie plays on the track. And he plays the Keith-ish riffs.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 21, 2008 17:02

skipstone
On a different note it's their coolest video ever I think.

Absolutly

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 21, 2008 18:43

I remember the big disappointment when hearing Anybody Seen My Baby in 1997 - but after a couple of months; I suddenly thought it was great - which I still do

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 21, 2008 22:41

This song has gotten lost in the crowd.
When B2B was new in my player at the time of its release, I didn't understand why they picked this slurcher as the lead-off single to their album when in its place, they could have put in the spotlight great stuff like "Too Tight".
It dawned on me later that they wanted to keep up with the sign 0 the times and try their hands at Trip-Hop, hence the involvement of electronica producers the Dust Brothers, picking up the trend of sampling (rapper Biz Markie in this case) and basing their song on somebody else's melody, which was also popular at the time with DJs.
It took me a while to get to like this song, whereas "Saint Of Me" has been an instant hit, maybe because it's rather Big Beat than Trip-Hop.
Anyway, kudos to them for trying out the experiment. I still like it way much better than their faux-funk tunes of the "Rain Fall Down", Neo-Con and Jugular calibre.
Today, it's among the songs from B2B that I play only seldomly, because the radio has overplayed it a bit. You know, it's just got the right kind of smoothness to be played on the radio of the mid-2000s, when like Tom Petty said, the last DJ had to leave, and "now he got a new station down in Mexico and sometimes he'll kind of come in".
"Anybody Seen My Baby" is nice, it's pleasant, and it doesn't hurt anybody. It's a bit of a sad song, but not a soul tune. I couldn't say whether this tune is better suited to k.d. lang or the Stones.
These are too many words to say that it's OK but I've gotten kind of bored of it by now.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 21, 2008 23:19

I cant help it....but I do like it...really like it...but not all of the time....the euro live versions were so much better...so it could be done....i think its got soul...like the vid...and unlike ER...its serious heartbreak? is it? The studio version is together with ''Empty'' and Gunface''i know you dont like it Erik...but cheers!''...and Rainbows..the real gold ones i think of the fuc=ing empty 90 ties....RS speaking....that said ER is sooo goood!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-21 23:31 by rooster.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home