Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Anybody Seen My Baby?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 21, 2008 23:29

Nikolai, the Babyface production was an unreleased version of "Already Over Me." The Biz Markie sample was The Dust Brothers' "brilliant" contribution. Don Was' No-Biz edit is available for download courtesy of UrbanSteel on the Hot Stuff page. Sadly, since its an edit, the ending is shortened considerably, but it is nice hearing the song without the rap even if the keyboards and guitars sound a bit naked without a vocal track over them.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 21, 2008 23:36

Many members complaining about the Stones not trying to experiment with new sounds and styles since the 70's. Well here they did, and it worked out very well imo. A great "modern" Stones-song!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: October 21, 2008 23:44

I think its a great song.... but what´s up with that little rap???. It sucks! I want to hear the beautiful solopart that is in the background. Not that rapper guy.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 22, 2008 00:03

Love to hear Mick rap...like in MY.....i even wish the rap was longer....and it would be so nice...if the rap was about the baby instead of rocking the towns....a longer rap yes!....BTW the MY rap is magic!( studio and 78 live versions)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 22, 2008 00:06

When Mick does "rap's", or Speaks instead of singing, in other songs its cool. Like on Slave or the live vesion of Some girls for instance. But for some reason I don't like it on ASMB.

Date: October 22, 2008 00:12

ryanpow
When Mick does "rap's", or Speaks instead of singing, in other songs its cool. Like on Slave or the live vesion of Some girls for instance. But for some reason I don't like it on ASMB.
Yeah thats so true man!! And thats mainly because the rap in MY was actually about the girl (baby!!) that was not there...btw is jagger singing with the rapper on the stud version?

Date: October 22, 2008 00:16

rooster

W..btw is jagger singing with the rapper on the stud version?

No I don't think so.

Date: October 22, 2008 00:19

I always think i hear him in the background...its stupid...he should do his own fuc-ing raps

Date: October 22, 2008 00:24

Maybe if i listen to the three songs ( i like the rap in HS to!) miss you ,got the best rap

Date: October 22, 2008 00:24

And...to much blood!!

Date: October 22, 2008 00:38

That rap in Miss you..ending..with baby why you wait......thats war horse power! the rap in ASMB could have been on topic! But hell....its a great song!

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 22, 2008 00:41

I have to agree with Gazza that as a live cut, it very sadly, just did not work; at least on the evidence of bootlegs.

Such a pity, as it's a truly great track with a brilliant performance by Jagger.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 22, 2008 05:55

Never liked Anybody Seen My Baby. Too slick, and the rap section is probably the most cringe-inducing thing to appear on a Stones album. Maybe their worst choice ever for a first single off an album.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: October 22, 2008 18:32

Ok album but I think too man guitar players. They didn't Waddy to play what to back up Keith. I thought he did not need to be on it. They had enough guests on it. Why it can't be the Stones themselves like on the Some Girls Album. Probably can't do it anymore. But they are still my favorite rock and roll band and will always be.

drummer_dude

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 22, 2008 18:53

The rap in this song and in Miss You shouldn't even be compared cause all the rap part of this song is a sample from an actual rap song. And I don't even consider Mick to be rapping in Miss You.

My opinion on this song is the studio version is ok, would have been better with a guitar solo instead of the horrible samples. Live this song was just awful, I remember them showing clips on the news while they were doing this song and it was so bad, almost sounds like the band is just going to stop playing in some parts but the backing vocals keep it going. And Mick couldn't get the tone of the verses down at all. This seems to happen in songs where they put his mic way up in the studio or use effects. Same thing with Love is Strong.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 22, 2008 20:35

Mick doesn't "rap" and has never "rapped". Don't make these lame attempts to consider his talking to be "rap". There is a distinct difference between "rap" "music" and what Mick does when he talks - you can understand Mick. "Rap" "music" you can't understand, yet alone all the lame subject matter of it.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 22, 2008 23:37

baxlap
Never liked Anybody Seen My Baby. Too slick, and the rap section is probably the most cringe-inducing thing to appear on a Stones album. Maybe their worst choice ever for a first single off an album.

As far as spoken words and the tendency to cringe, it's the "fine Arab charger" that gets me, though that song has some merit, too.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2008 00:53

baxlap

Far better choice than Emotional Rescue or Streets of Love for starters.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:02

Gazza
baxlap

Far better choice than Emotional Rescue or Streets of Love for starters.

Completely agree on Emotional Rescue. But keep in mind that SOL was a double A-sided single, and that Rough Justice is awesome. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 23, 2008 01:04

No it isn't.

'Jumpin Jack Flash' and 'Gimme Shelter' are awesome.

'Rough Justice' is 'Stones by numbers'.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:07

or "Stones by dollars"

Date: October 23, 2008 01:08

Gazza
No it isn't.

'Jumpin Jack Flash' and 'Gimme Shelter' are awesome.

'Rough Justice' is 'Stones by numbers'.

You think so? I really dig it. Great rythm, great rythm guitar, great slide, good drumming, great singing. Lyrics probably not worked on enough, but who cares when we got all that other stuff?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 23, 2008 01:46

I do, unfortunately.

Its as if they got most of the ingredients right to make a very good Stones rock n roll song, but forgot to sprinkle some "Factor X" on top to make it rise into something memorable.

It was a nice feeling to throw a new Stones CD on after eight years and hear that teasing stop-start intro which made you think "aaah - they're BACK!" but whilst its far from a stinker, the song doesnt really get out of second gear.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 23, 2008 02:02

RJ sounded to me on first listen what it has sounded like on every subsequent listen - a complete throwaway. riffless, soulless, childish trite. worst album lead-off song of theirs...and it sets the tone for what follows....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:23

I like Rough Justice. It kicks, the lyrics are obviously totally tongue in cheek, the kind of stuff AC/DC sings about - it's the absurdity of it that makes it work for me. I think it's a fantastic song - it SNARLS and it's one of their better songs in quite a while - up there with Flip The Switch, Sad Sad Sad, those types of fast heavy tunes from the recent years, as well as some earlier ones like Whip and Crazy Mama...

Ronnie's slide is rough (no pun intended) and obviously it was thought to be good enough because he does hit some really raunchy notes. I like it - it's very live sounding. Much better than You Got Me Rocking, that's for sure.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:58

skipstone
I like Rough Justice. It kicks, the lyrics are obviously totally tongue in cheek, the kind of stuff AC/DC sings about - it's the absurdity of it that makes it work for me. I think it's a fantastic song - it SNARLS and it's one of their better songs in quite a while - up there with Flip The Switch, Sad Sad Sad, those types of fast heavy tunes from the recent years, as well as some earlier ones like Whip and Crazy Mama...

Ronnie's slide is rough (no pun intended) and obviously it was thought to be good enough because he does hit some really raunchy notes. I like it - it's very live sounding. Much better than You Got Me Rocking, that's for sure.

really? my understanding is that they merely lifted the YGMR solo and grafted it onto RJ....

Date: October 23, 2008 04:15

T&A
skipstone

really? my understanding is that they merely lifted the YGMR solo and grafted it onto RJ....

...But then everything is like that isn't it? Send It To Me is the same as Neighbours. The harp solo on Mother Of A Man is the same as on Out Of Control. All their 3 chord blues songs are the same. The Storm is the same as Back Of My Hand. Anybody Seen My Baby is the same as Constant Craving. Let It Bleed is the same as Dead Flowers. Gimme Shelter is the same as One Hit To The Body. I Go Wild is the same as Sparks Will Fly etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. That's just not true. Two songs can share a similarity, and not be the same.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 23, 2008 05:21

I think that Rough Justice is better than YGMR. When I first heard it It I had a really poseitive feeling about it. I tought "All right the stones are still rocking"... I was't expecting it to be the best thing since Sympathy for the Devil.

I think the reason I prefer RJ to you got me rocking is with the latter song they were trying too hard to make it an anthemic rocker. it has that bulit in sing along "Hey Hey", its a bit forced... Rough Justice isn't tied down with that.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-23 05:28 by ryanpow.

Date: October 23, 2008 05:39

Gazza
but whilst its far from a stinker, the song doesnt really get out of second gear.

the same has been said about "dance Little Sister"

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 23, 2008 07:33

The biggest bummer about Rough Justice is the production. It doesn't have any snarl. Imagine if it had been recorded like Lowdown or Hand of Fate to name two.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home