Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Anybody Seen My Baby?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 8, 2014 08:20

DandelionPowderman
I like You Got Me Rocking on VL. Don't think they used more than 10 minutes to make Rip This Joint either. But it swings. Live however, YGMR is a bore.

I have problems with the rockers on B2B; FTS, TT. Lowdown is ok. That's why I compared with similar songs on VL. There are better rockers than RJ on every album, from SW to first album, imo.

YGMR certainly is a bore. It's all about feel and inspiration (or the lack thereof). On Exile they had it. By the time of VL and the later records they didn't, and it was calculated. They relied on craft rather than inspiration. You can spend 10 minutes coming up with brilliance or 10 minutes coming up with derivative crap. I am pretty comfortable in knowing which is which. Reminds me a lot of Dylan's records since Time Out Of Mind or so, where craft replaced inspiration. Dylan himslef said he had to learn to do consciously what he used to do unconsciously. Same goes for the Stones. They were on fire creatively on Exile, and had to rely on craft and formula for most of the post Steel Wheels tunes. Doesn't mean some pleasant stuff doesn't result, after all it's a great formula - and a great band - but you can't compare Exile to ABB in any artistic or qualitative sense, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 08:21 by 71Tele.

Date: February 8, 2014 15:44

What just kills ASMB is the rap. Had they not done the rap, this song IMO would be held in a LOT higher esteem. I think it is a very good track. Like everything about it. (except the rAP). I also don't think that they needed to give KD Lang co-writing credit. That is a fairly common melodic line on top of that chord.

Date: February 8, 2014 16:01

+1

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: February 9, 2014 06:43

What I liked about this song is that this was the Stones' venture in rap. They have always branched out into the "trend" of the day...disco, punk, reggae, etc...and this was their rap song.

Date: February 9, 2014 10:39

Miss You was their rap song, imo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2014 10:53

Well Yeah .... but don't forget this 12"er ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2014 10:57

"Don't saw of me leg..."

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 9, 2014 14:09

Love Angelina Jolie in video

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 9, 2014 16:43

Great song. Wonderful atmospheric production with the eerie keyboards and Keith's crunching licks. I really can't hear Constant Craving in this at all...a very strange event in Stonedom where they give her writing credit "just in case..." Weird. But I like it and even can get through the rap break...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 26, 2023 06:43

new official lyric video

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 26, 2023 07:42

How did they give KD Lang a credit on a song that sounds nothing like hers and on the same album they played “ Poppa was a rollin stone” with different lyrics and no one mentions it?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 26, 2023 13:46

lem motlow
How did they give KD Lang a credit on a song that sounds nothing like hers and on the same album they played “ Poppa was a rollin stone” with different lyrics and no one mentions it?
You are spot on.There are so many songs that sound similar .How about for example Yer Blues and Heartbreak Hotel.Tonight’s the Night and Sweet Virginia.Candle in the Wind and Ruby Tuesday?IORR and Bang the Gong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-26 13:53 by Taylor1.

Date: March 26, 2023 14:07

I always liked the chorus of the song. Very melodic vocal line. Almost Abba-esque.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 26, 2023 14:40

Tonight´s the night and Sweet Virginia? Candle in the wind and Ruby Tuesday? IORR and Get it on? Help...I need lots of help, after reading this...cool smiley

Date: March 26, 2023 14:48

The Stones definitely listened to contemporaries winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-26 15:10 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 26, 2023 16:31

Nice catchy tune, I like it all, even the rap bit.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 27, 2023 18:08

lem motlow

The melody of ASMB is, most likely in a legal aspect, which involves duration, if I remember right, exactly the same as KD Lang's song. But a bass riff...

It's a bit muddy, how the legal aspects get blurred here and there.

There was talk about Out Of Control being Pappa, even Keith.

Out of Control has that bass riff from Papa Was a Rolling Stone... (H)ey, if anybody can do that (joke), it's us (laughs). Mick played the harmonica solo on that one. He's getting better, man.

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 27, 2023 18:34

lem motlow

seeeeeeeeen myyyyyyyy baaaaaaayby

connnnnnnnn staaaant craaaaving

its the exact same melody line this is why from what I read that they gave her credit.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 27, 2023 19:14

i dont know why they weren´t sued by this rap they took for the ASMB song

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 28, 2023 20:54

rogerriffin

Well, there are no farting noises on ASMB so what exactly should he sue?

More seriously, I think that even if this guy had tried, he would have had a hard time to convince even risk-friendly lawyers of at least a slight chance to win...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 28, 2023 21:32

rogerriffin

I think the irony is that the rappers (in)famously sampled portions of old hits, you know, like rapping all over it, or using them as a chorus, etc. But this time the rap part is used as a sample.tongue sticking out smiley

The dude in question, Biz Markie, actually was sued for such a thing, and him losing the case would determine the sampling business from then on. The sample needs 'clearence', that is, the process of obtaining permission from the copyright owners of the original recording. His next album was called ALL SAMPLES CLEARED...

I don't think it is a co-incidence that several years later the Stones used particularly his recording as a sample. I am pretty sure it was cleared. Or otherwise the Stones were true bad-asses by letting him eat his own shit...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-28 21:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 28, 2023 22:11

More Hot Rocks
lem motlow

its the exact same melody line this is why from what I read that they gave her credit.

Exactly! I don't know how some people can't hear the similarity. As has been mentioned numerous times, she didn't threaten any lawsuit, they just gave the credit to her. It's weird that I think of that as a fairly new Stones song but it's now 26 years old!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 28, 2023 23:36

DGA35
More Hot Rocks
lem motlow

Exactly! I don't know how some people can't hear the similarity. As has been mentioned numerous times, she didn't threaten any lawsuit, they just gave the credit to her. It's weird that I think of that as a fairly new Stones song but it's now 26 years old!!

Well, k.d. lang said she was "completely honoured and flattered"...

But yeah, true about those 26 years... Even this thread is already 15 years old.

But about the song... I never was that into it, but I have learned to like it more and more along the years. Nowadays I could say that it is one of my favourite tracks from the post-TATTOO YOU years. It is one of those very rare latter-day songs that I can occasionally hear on the radio or at some bars, etc. (not really that often at home, though). It always sounds fresh and terrific. Gives good vibes. Mick's delivery really stands out, and I think it altogether is a nice mix of the contemporary sounds of the 90's with the classical Stones sound. I don't think they really can do that cocktail much better (or be more 'experimental' or 'updating their sound', if you like).

Interestingly, I am not the only one that seems to enjoy listening it: almost 50 million streams on Spotify, and making it #19 in their most listened songs chart, is a pretty exceptional performance for a latter-day Stones tune. Actually their most popular tune for the last 42 years (and if we leave "Ghost Town" out, with a huge margin). Strangely it didn't even make HONK.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-28 23:46 by Doxa.

Date: March 29, 2023 01:07

Anybody Seen My Baby .... ahead of its time ...
Way cool production .... Pounds from the speakers ....

Lurv the funky video ...
Featuring a young Angelina Jolie

ROCKMAN

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 29, 2023 03:02

I liked the song the first time I heard it.

It didn't work live but is very good on the studio recording.

Little guitar parts like right after "holding onto her was just impossible"...then the major guitar chord, suspended chord and back to the major chord. Common riff but sounds so good here.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 29, 2023 03:47

Bridges is one of my favorite Stones albums.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 29, 2023 05:14

Along with Love Is Strong, people often claim Anybody Seen My Baby is one song that doesn’t work live. Regardless, I enjoyed both when they played them on stage, and hope they will revive them on the future performances.

And Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice…why did the lead singles from the modern Stones albums live a short life and then go discarded once the tour behind each album finished except for a sporadical appearance here and there, while the classics from the 60s and 70s remain in the setlist for ever? These four tunes are all good in my humble opinion, and by no means ‘deep cuts’ only a hardcore can appreciate. I think this is part of the reason the Stones are regarded as a legacy act. Not so modern Stones aren’t they?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-29 05:33 by RisingStone.

Date: March 29, 2023 06:08

Mixed Emotions .... hard working soul classic ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 29, 2023 07:39

rogerriffin

Because they didn't take it, they incorporated it.

Date: March 29, 2023 09:05

RisingStone
Along with Love Is Strong, people often claim Anybody Seen My Baby is one song that doesn’t work live. Regardless, I enjoyed both when they played them on stage, and hope they will revive them on the future performances.

And Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice…why did the lead singles from the modern Stones albums live a short life and then go discarded once the tour behind each album finished except for a sporadical appearance here and there, while the classics from the 60s and 70s remain in the setlist for ever? These four tunes are all good in my humble opinion, and by no means ‘deep cuts’ only a hardcore can appreciate. I think this is part of the reason the Stones are regarded as a legacy act. Not so modern Stones aren’t they?

They dusted off Mixed Emotions a couple times, though.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home