Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Angie
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 16, 2008 13:28

georgelicks
The studio version is too perfect, no live version is better than the original.

That is true. But if we think the live versions as a rank of their own, I think it is one the few cases when the Stones bettered the versions in the later career (that is, during the Las Vegas era). I think they never found the mentality to deliver it right in their hot rocking 70's. I always find their versions from 1973 to 76 almost like apologies for recording such a sentimantal piece of s..t. Especially Mick had problems how to sing it, and he ended up riduculing it (especially LA Forum '75 versions). With voice couching, Chuck Leavell taking the musical leadership, or whatever etc. these problems seemed to hide away from 1995 on. Or the guy grew up.. grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 13:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 16, 2008 15:32

Ruby Friday
Those who says they hate this song, must be kidding !!??!! Angie is the ULTIMATE ballad, nothing over, nothing beside, as some have said above, the piano, the guitars, the drums and Micks beautiful voice is so perfect fitted together.
The only time I have heard it live was in Oslo 1990 in a stadium, Angie is no Stadium song, the studio version is too perfect for that ! But like a "MTV Unplugged " thing could maybe have brought justies to the wonderful song.

Not kidding in the least. I dread whenever it comes on the radio, which indeed it often does, and I always skip it on GHS. I loathe this song. Along with a few other well known 'classics'. Beast of Burden #2, and Shattered #3. and of course Rambler in at #4. This has been much discussed over the years here, and I always take a beating for it, but my skin is much tougher now than when I first used to say it! smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2008 16:22

The worst versions were the brutal, non-sensitive 1990-versions imo. What were they thinking?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 16, 2008 16:30

Right, those were not too nice.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 11, 2010 05:38

Does anyone know whether there are early, roughdraft, demo, or alternate versions of Angie? If so, what are they like? I would love to hear any versions.

How was it decided to add strings? would it have been a Mick decision? The strings seem so strange to me.

Anyone know any stories about the writing/recording of Angie, beyond: (1) Mick/Keith attempted to mix it b/c Jimmy Miller too fvcked up; and (2) the usual Keith tales that it was written about Dandelion/Angie his daughter but Mick wrote most of it?

Also, there's so much underneath the vocals. I used to think it was Keith intermittently hooting and whooooing but listened tonight and almost sounds like there's more than that.

thx!
swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-11 05:39 by swiss.

Posted by: robertcharles ()
Date: May 11, 2010 05:49

I wan,t to hear Keith singing Angie?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 11, 2010 05:58

Without vocals & guitars, just Bill, Charlie, Nicky & the strings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-11 06:01 by stones78.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 11, 2010 06:47

don kirshner 1973.....Angie mesmerized me.....and have never been the same since

Date: May 11, 2010 06:53

Stones78 - thanks for posting.

Nice bass part and elegant Chas.

But those strings O_o

Date: May 11, 2010 06:57

Rip This
don kirshner 1973.....Angie mesmerized me.....and have never been the same since

Rip This, I saw that too! It was transformative. I was 9. I went downstairs late night by myself, didn't even turn on the lights, watched it with our dog. Mick was rivetting. I tried to tell my mother about it the next day but didn't have the words. She shook her hear disapprovingly, called him "Mick Decadence" - and probably prayed for my immortal soul.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 11, 2010 06:58

Wow an Angie thread pops up after almost 2 yrs.... For the record....Lots of people don't seem to like Angie...But put me in the plus side of this song... Which I don't think comes near warhorse status. In fact I'd have to double check my setlists to find out when the last time this one was played.grinning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: May 11, 2010 09:21

And who was Maureen anyway, as to what Keith said about why he eventually named the song "Angie" (after that of his own daughter)? Maureen McCormick (The Brady Bunch's Marcia), perhaps?

~Ben

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 11, 2010 09:46

stones78

Without vocals & guitars, just Bill, Charlie, Nicky & the strings.

What a joke, that´s not Bill & Charlie.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 11, 2010 11:58

What's not to love? This is one of most beautiful songs ever. Great powerful lyrics.

"All your kisses still taste sweet"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 11, 2010 12:12

Angie is a stunningly beautiful song, where the Glimmer Twins emerge as former pupils becoming masters in the studio. A very earthy and touching song with perfect production. Nicky, as always, is inspired to provide one of the most defining aspects of the song. His beautiful wintery runs. Mick, though, really gives such a heart rending and passionate vocal. Using every device that is his strength as a vocalist. From drawling, vamping, pleading, and nuanced singing. He hits it out of the park on so many levels. He inhabits this Keith song as a fan, and you can almost hear him say, "I can't wait until I get my hands on this one!" Then Keith and Mick T providing beautiful acoustics that are like satin sheets for Mick's performance. And you know what? This was a different kind of song for them to lead off with a single! Hard rocking 70's and they put our a AM friendly ballad that oozes debauchery. This is when the stones use beauty to mystify and add that death glow to further define their lifestyles.
What's not to love on this one!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2010 12:17

Take a bow whitem8.....beautifully stated....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 11, 2010 12:22

thanks Rock! Shine on bro.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:47

swiss

Anyone know any stories about the writing/recording of Angie, beyond: (1) Mick/Keith attempted to mix it b/c Jimmy Miller too fvcked up; and (2) the usual Keith tales that it was written about Dandelion/Angie his daughter but Mick wrote most of it

I don´t know when that story began that it is for/about Keith´s daughter. In an interview in the early 70ies Keith said he doesn´t know, why Mick called it Angie. I think Mick and Keith don´t know either anymore, who is it about.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:58

I think Mick and Keith don´t know either anymore, who is it about.....

Jump Back liner notes............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: May 12, 2010 00:45

Beautiful song. Love both the album version and brussels 73.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2010 01:36

It's better than Streets Of Love or Always Suffering - but that's about it. Total shite.

Date: May 12, 2010 03:31

skipstone
It's better than Streets Of Love or Always Suffering - but that's about it. Total shite.

wow...that's harsh!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2010 07:49

Well, I just don't like the song!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2010 11:46

Rockman

+1

- Doxa

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: May 12, 2010 11:55

Agree with Rockman and Doxa - whitem8 - that was written beautifully, and was beautiful to read - well done.

Date: May 12, 2010 16:33

Wow! Thanks all. Nice to be positive and revel in the music and not get into the day in day out criticisms that seem to roll too easily here.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 12, 2010 23:33

Doxa
Rockman

+1

- Doxa

+2

Well stated whitem8

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 13, 2010 00:27

whitem8

What's not to love on this one!

I agree with most of your post, but since you ask....

The one thing I don't like about "Angie" is that it is just too long.

It doesn't have the focus of the Stones best work. Unlike the classic Stones ballads--"Lady Jane" "Ruby Tuesday" "Wild Horses" --that are so precise, and all the parts fit together like a Swiss watch, "Angie" just kind of meanders and gets lost. There's a beauty, but it repeats and repeats and the production doesn't add or build anything to justify it's length.

Like some other GHS tracks, it could lose at least a minute and be way better for it.

On this one the great Jimmy Miller dropped the ball as producer, and it's no wonder they didn't work with him again.

Date: May 13, 2010 03:52

Actually that wasn't a question, it was a statement, hence the exclamation point. I don't think it is too long. How can a warm summer breeze on the beach ever be too long. And I don't think Jimmy had much to do with GHS, according to the Glimmers he was pretty out of it. I think this was the boys crafting a wonderful flowing bed of wilted roses that is both sweet yet with that hint of death like a fall morning. The song is punctuated mid stream by Nicky's beautiful piano solo that is so simple yet so cloyingly beautiful. Then back to the chorus. And then the strings and back to the chorus again. Wonderful. "Angie, I still love you BAYBYY..."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:24

VoodooLounge13
complete rubbish. Always hated this song always will. Don't understand the love for it. The worst song IMO that they've ever written.

Wow. The "worst song they have ever written"? Worse than all of "Dirty Work"? Worse than all of "Bridges To Babylon"? Worse than "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)"?

That's bad.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home