Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Angie
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 13, 2008 20:46

billwebster
It's kind of to the Stones what "Baby One More Time" is to Britney Spears: it's too annoyingly catchy.

What? If you mean that seriously, then you must think that the rest of the Spears' songs are quallity rock songs... Surely you just want to make us laugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-13 20:47 by Happy24.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 13, 2008 22:43

baxlap
Nice acoustic lines at the beginning, but otherwise I can do without it. Some would argue that they jumped the shark with this one.

Yep. It has it's moments but it just drags on and on.

It's at least a minute too long.

The first time that Miller carving story appeared was in Crawdaddy magazine in 1975.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 14, 2008 22:58

I can recall a couple of times hearing this song on the radio being played Back To Back with BB Kings "The Thrill Is Gone" and they sound great together like that. One element they share is the strings in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-14 22:58 by ryanpow.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 14, 2008 23:09

complete rubbish. Always hated this song always will. Don't understand the love for it. The worst song IMO that they've ever written.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2008 23:34

I thought Keith said that this album wound up with him and Mick more or less producing it while the wasted Miller spent his time cutting swastizkas in the control board with a knife hence the terrible mixing job by the inexperienced Glimmer Twins that marred the album at the time. Keith said they had completely wore Miller out by this time- "He came in a lion and went out a sheep"! Anybody else read/hear this?-scotkeef-

Yes,it's in a RS book somewhere.

Keith could hardly stand on his feet these days,let alone doing a mixing job.
And he has worn himself out,that's for shure.

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: October 14, 2008 23:39

Great song. It was probably the first Stones song I ever heard. And it took years before I knew it was the stones. Me being around 10 years old in the late 80´s. Mid 90´s when I got into the stones I found out that the song was indeed the stones. smiling smiley

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 14, 2008 23:40

Monumental classic who so called hard core fans find it highly uncool to dig.

I have a theory: Same kinda fans who loathe Dandelion also despise this track.

Never gets tired of it; hope they will play if more often.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 14, 2008 23:59

Possibly my favorite Stones song! I like the studio version where Mick sings the lines You can say we're satisfied and let me whisper in your ear high versus live where he sings it low.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 15, 2008 00:02

Angie is a beautiful ballad - and just like Dancing With Mr D.....nothing can compare with Brussels 1973 live version, in my opinion.....
1975 version was kind of flat - at least compared to the following number; Wild Horses....and in 1982; it was very good
Never really got into the more recent live versions....like the "Stripped" one...the feeling is not the same; maybe it's got something to do with the Am7 instead of Am - just like the Stripped "Wild Horses" - the "m7" doesn't suit the song; only Leavell's piano

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 15, 2008 00:14

I like it, and I like Dandelion.

Bro, we are all different here, but I agree there seems to be group of some size here that thinks any song other than a rocker is an ill-conceived sell out or otherwise to be condemned (ok, there are some within this group of "purists" that will grudgingly tolerate the occasional blues or R & B cover)--

If the Stones listened to them, we'd have no reggae, no country, and no dance numbers, but especially nothing melodic and/or sentimental.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2008 00:47

Napoli July 17 1982 .... The build the flow ... Alright Ronnie ...Gene

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 15, 2008 01:30

this is a perfect piece of music. nothing to complain about.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 15, 2008 15:42

Baboon Bro
Monumental classic who so called hard core fans find it highly uncool to dig.

I have a theory: Same kinda fans who loathe Dandelion also despise this track.

Never gets tired of it; hope they will play if more often.

I love Dandelion!!

Date: October 15, 2008 16:03

<Angie & Beast of Burden: two Keith songs that surprised me as I'd originally thought they were Micks.>

Same thing with Ruby Tuesday

Date: October 15, 2008 16:05

<Same kinda fans who loathe Dandelion also despise this track.>

What's wrong with Dandelion???

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2008 16:33

I love Angie. It's always been one of the strongest ballads from the seventies.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 15, 2008 16:54

I think the 1982 Napoli version is fantastic!

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: October 15, 2008 17:11

Those who says they hate this song, must be kidding !!??!! Angie is the ULTIMATE ballad, nothing over, nothing beside, as some have said above, the piano, the guitars, the drums and Micks beautiful voice is so perfect fitted together.
The only time I have heard it live was in Oslo 1990 in a stadium, Angie is no Stadium song, the studio version is too perfect for that ! But like a "MTV Unplugged " thing could maybe have brought justies to the wonderful song.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 15, 2008 17:15

The 1973 live versions I've heard blow the studio version away. It should stay on the hits comps and never be played live. There are much better songs to play live.

Posted by: Art ()
Date: October 16, 2008 05:20

I like the song,depending on the mood.
I swear this song was in a made for TV moview in the late 70's, but I have no clue what moview. I believe it was played in a scene where the girl was in a hospital bed dying.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 16, 2008 05:38

The studio version is too perfect, no live version is better than the original.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 16, 2008 06:33

i loved it. it was great to have it on hit radio all the time. it stood out.
now it's kinda cliche in retrospect a lotta times but i think it's a fine fine song and lovely melody and shows the tenderest-hearted keith amidst the well known savagery of his git playing and combustible personality at the time... the acoustics are great. yeah it's way poppy and smaltzy, yeah it's a little too smooth... but it's kinda lovely too, has a downhome country element; some of the descriptions here are great, about the melody lines of different instruments etc..this is keith's song and it leaves it's mark...
i loved the live verson hbo special jan '03 msg...
i think of it fondly, as i do of many of their straight ahead ballads like ATGB and others...it's not the main meat of the machine but it's a grace note for sure imo.

Date: October 16, 2008 09:59

A little sourish feelin' when he takes down the notes on
"I hate that sadness in yer ey-es" these days.

Date: October 16, 2008 10:07

<A little sourish feelin' when he takes down the notes on
"I hate that sadness in yer ey-es" these days.>

Surprisingly, he hit the high notes on the Four Flicks DVD (MSG) smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2008 10:17

Gotta get back to For Flicks, havent seen it for years.
I believe he can hit them again; its just his non-risk-mentality.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 16, 2008 10:56

This has nothing to do w/the music but that moment in the video (Mick standing w/hat) when he turns to Charlie in anticipation of his hi-hat accent must be the campiest moment in a Stones video ever.

(As for the music... it's somehow one of their perfect recordings. Not that it's one of my favorite songs but it gels in a flawless manner.)

Date: October 16, 2008 10:57

Silvertrain is purdy camp too ainnit?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 16, 2008 11:06

>Silvertrain is purdy camp too ainnit?

I was talking about a particular moment, not 4 solid minutes of unadulterated camp! Sontag herself would have to parse the ST video methinks (or maybe Fran Lebowitz).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 16, 2008 12:34

One of the biggest Stones songs ever, no doubt it. If asked democratically, it would make top five of all time most well-known Stones signature songs. It was also one of their last big hits, In fact, it occupies a a big space. Without it, The Stones repertuare and legacy would be seemingly thinner. It is one of the Stones songs - with "Ruby Tuesday" - one can show to people who think that Jagger/Richards are only capable of writing simple riff rockers.

Actually, one of the finest moments the Stones have accomplished in the studio are unique sounding moments, never to be repeated again. Just think of "Sympathy For The Devil" or "Gimme Shelter" - there is no songs that resemble these cuts in their repertuare. The same is with "Angie", or another big number from the 70's "Miss You". I think the true genious of the Stones can be heard in tracks like these - those are unique, novel numbers (the band ain't any bloody Status Quo, after all). The saucy- sugar-like touch of "Angie" just ices the cake. It is one of the most convincing Jagger vocals ever - he really gives to a concept of a "rock ballad" a new meaning. With a feminine, vulnerable, different voice - contra the nasty, angry, offensive well-known one known of "Brown Sugar", "Satisfaction", "Street Fighting Man", etc - Jagger plays with his own image, takes a huge risky, and comes out as a winner. Only Jagger - and no one else - could have sung "Angie" with such a wonderful delivery.

Personally, I still find it catchy tune when it is played in the radio - and quite often it still is!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 12:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 16, 2008 12:38

Agree!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home