Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 86
Re: Add photos of your rarities....
Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: March 20, 2009 13:56

Andreas, the button just says 'small faces' in tiny writting! It is still a great deal so don't worry. The button is likely to turn up separately the box won't. I lost the pin on the back of the badge and the scissors in my first ever set when my very kind friend carried it in his handluggage to take care of it but airport security took the scissors and broke the pin off the badge! Gutted :-(

Date: March 20, 2009 13:59

Back on signed guitars for a moment. Here is a promo Universal records customised US Fender Telecaster signed by the band and Martin Scorsese:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:02

WOOOO!!!! ..... So there ain't alotta Small Faces fans amongst airport security ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:07

Matt, your signed guitars are really great (beside the fully signed I love your Ronnie signed eg. the one with doodle too)!

P.S. I assume you have pretty much space for all your stuff .... :-)

Andreas

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:20

Hey, have a look at this auction:

[cgi.ebay.it]

Date: March 20, 2009 14:27

straycat58

[cgi.ebay.it]

Thanks Vanni, I did'nt know about this auction. As a collector of the Debut album from around the world this is actually a must have for me .... BUT .... definitely over my budget :-)

Andreas

Date: March 20, 2009 14:43

I wish I had the space! I live in London which although that helps give me great access I live in a tiny 600 square foot 1850's cottage (which is pretty rare in London!). It is almost never tidy as stuff is always arriving. I have stuff in a storage unit, at my parents house and in NYC too though.

Agreed on the signed guitars. The Woody ones are very special/personal to me.

Probably a cool thread to do would be everyones favourite one memorabilia item they own. It would be a really accessible thread, it could be someone's first concert ticket, their first LP, their favourite LP, even a newspaper review of a gig they went to....

Among my 10,000+ items mine is a really easy choice. Simply the greatest gift any Stones concert lover could ever be given. As they say in America it's "good all season". Better than a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's chocolate factory.... Beyond amazing to recieve with countless magical memories of its use.

Matt

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:46

This is not the first time this printers block has been on E-bay for an astronomical price.

Date: March 20, 2009 14:54

Absolutely not worth anything like 75,000 (in my opinion). You can buy a lot really, really great stuff for that. It's a complete joke. The seller has probably spent more on listing fees than it is worth.

Date: March 20, 2009 15:04

mattleeuk
I wish I had the space! I live in London which although that helps give me great access I live in a tiny 600 square foot 1850's cottage (which is pretty rare in London!). It is almost never tidy as stuff is always arriving. I have stuff in a storage unit, at my parents house and in NYC too though.

Understand, I have the problem to have space, but not enough time and at least I'm located in Germany and not so close to the items and our fav's as you in the UK. I'm travelling a lot but also there is not always the time to search for a record store ...

mattleeuk

Probably a cool thread to do would be everyones favourite one memorabilia item they own. It would be a really accessible thread, it could be someone's first concert ticket, their first LP, their favourite LP, even a newspaper review of a gig they went to....

Among my 10,000+ items mine is a really easy choice. Simply the greatest gift any Stones concert lover could ever be given. As they say in America it's "good all season". Better than a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's chocolate factory.... Beyond amazing to recieve with countless magical memories of its use.

Matt

Matt, YOU should start that thread you mention ... (it's a good idea), but everyone has to choose only one of their memorabilia ...

mattleeuk
Absolutely not worth anything like 75,000 (in my opinion). You can buy a lot really, really great stuff for that. It's a complete joke. The seller has probably spent more on listing fees than it is worth.

I fully agree !

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 20, 2009 15:19

straycat58

[cgi.ebay.it]

Ouch....$75,000...such a deal...

I could never pick just one item....Record Collection IS singular....

JR...

Date: March 20, 2009 15:45

Some colorized William Stout Art from Stones bootlegs...I love Keith's grey-green skin tone on Welcome to New York...

JR

Date: March 20, 2009 16:00

Some Nice Splattery Vinyl---

JR

Date: March 20, 2009 16:00

yes it's out of my budget as well. Anyway it's an interesting item.

I'm going to receive an acetate in the next days (hopefully) which brings some doubts on the RCA 1964 November 2 sessions.

It's an Off the hook backed by Down home girl on a Downey US. California acetate.

As soon as I'll receive it I'll inform about the versions included. Nevertheless mydoubt is the following:
Down home girl belongs to the November 1964 RCA sessions and this is in line with the acetate; so I expect it will be the same version as the official one.

But Off the hook was recorded at the Regent Studios (according to Zentgraf) and then included as backside of Rooster on the single that was issued in November (day 13 for all the fonts but day 6 if we look at the date pressed on the UK demo).

So, I wonder which version of Off the hook is the one on this acetate, apparently recorded on November 2 together with Down home girl.

Ok, I'll come back to you as soon as I receive the item.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 16:02 by straycat58.

Date: March 20, 2009 16:19

straycat58
yes it's out of my budget as well. Anyway it's an interesting item.

I'm going to receive an acetate in the next days (hopefully) which brings some doubts on the RCA 1964 November 2 sessions.

It's an Off the hook backed by Down home girl on a Downey US. California acetate.

As soon as I'll receive it I'll inform about the versions included. Nevertheless mydoubt is the following:
Down home girl belongs to the November 1964 RCA sessions and this is in line with the acetate; so I expect it will be the same version as the official one.

But Off the hook was recorded at the Regent Studios (according to Zentgraf) and then included as backside of Rooster on the single that was issued in November (day 13 for all the fonts but day 6 if we look at the date pressed on the UK demo).

So, I wonder which version of Off the hook is the one on this acetate, apparently recorded on November 2 together with Down home girl.

Ok, I'll come back to you as soon as I receive the item.

Stray,

Hate to bust your bubble, but I had those acetates many years ago, and sold them (after I taped them). Just regular released versions. For your sake, I hope you are wrong....Acetates without Decca, Bell Sound, London or Apple are a big gamble...

Hope you didnt pay too much...

JR

Date: March 20, 2009 17:16

aaargh... John, just lost 1 year of life reading your post. I believed there were no counterfeit of stones acetates already around. You killed me!

anyway, I just sent a mail to your address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 17:23 by straycat58.

Date: March 20, 2009 17:37

Vanni,

You have mail...

Sorry about that.

JR

Posted by: Tim2 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 18:01

Hello folks,

Re: acetates: for having worked within the record biz and cut a few myself, beware... they are easy to make, not costly, and I believe there are a lot of fakes around... a lot were made for demos as well at the time... a faded Decca sticker, etc is not complicated to print and neatly stick neither today... so my advice is: do not spend a lot on this stuff.
I got myself fooled once or two with fake tests as well despite a long experience (buying through the net / pix).
Same thing for boots which costs almost nothing to produce, and plants in the East part of Europe still work hard as of today.
I have very little time now but if someone wishes top open a topic on counterfeits, that would be good: they are just too much around now... all known very rare LPs seem to exist as perfect repros now, new stuff coming every day : the latest Spanished colored LP or 'Shine a Light' so-called LPs to name obvious stuff, but I guess many collectors have some really bad experiences they could/should share. Not even speaking of all those fake promos on CDs that 'never' existed... I am sure plenty of you have things to say on the topic.

Date: March 20, 2009 18:49

Yes Tim, I 100% agree with your proposal. It's time we dedicate special space to this topic.
And you should create a new CD-ROM dedicated to acetates only.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 20, 2009 22:55

stone-relics

Stray,

Hate to bust your bubble, but I had those acetates many years ago, and sold them (after I taped them). Just regular released versions. For your sake, I hope you are wrong....Acetates without Decca, Bell Sound, London or Apple are a big gamble...

Hope you didnt pay too much...

JR

After reading your post and the one from Tim2 I'd like to say that it's not too hard to differ between the real thing and a fake - at least as long as you're having it in hand. All my acetates are metal ones with the exception of a Spanish Steel Wheels-acetate which comes on pure vinyl but the price was low and I couldn't care less if it's a fake or not. It can't be touched when offered on Ebay but at least the moment you get it you can be sure, can't you?

I never came accross a faked metal one but maybe I wasn't able to identify it as a fake. Have you guys ever received such an (metal) item where you can be sure that it's a fake?

We have a record-plant over here where I live and with a little bit of imagination and the help of google it might be easy to print on an (they are sold seperately) artificial aged piece of paper-sticker but in the end it's (thin) vinyl which will be shiny and glossy for the next few decades. No way to sell it as an original or maybe I'm too naive??

Date: March 21, 2009 00:38

I'm perplexed silkcut.
Until now I thought that the best way to recognize fake acetates was, apart the metal laquer, the label shape, whether it was vintage or not. Without a matrix, we have no instruments after all.
But after John comments, I really feel confused. Anyway, I'll wait for this record and let you know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 00:39 by straycat58.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: March 21, 2009 15:40

Here are a couple of my LP's. I have been wondering about the "Songs Of" LP, what was the reason for this one?

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: March 21, 2009 15:42

Here is a Dirty Work shop stand. A big one so I really don't know where to keep it.....

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 16:08 by Jan Richards.

Date: March 21, 2009 15:46

Two old C-casettes, well not that old maybe. But anyhow:
The one to the left is the normal one but the one to the right, that one is named "Bridges" only. Sold as new in Saudi Arabia.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 16:07 by Jan Richards.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: March 21, 2009 17:15

Please: Someone here could do a guide to recognize a fake acetate and an authentic one.
I was starting collecting acetates and now don't no if I have one authentic...

I believe that the metal laquer was impossible to copy.

Also, JR told me in the Collectors forum at www.stonesvikings.com that apart from the Decca, Apple, Bell Sound etc ones, there are some "regional acetates" in countries like Germany, Spain, France....

Straycat58: I had thought to bid in your Off The Hook two weeks ago, but finally I spent the money on other LPs. Sorry (It could happen to me)

Date: March 21, 2009 17:57

Hi Ricky, let me say that I think JR listed the most common recording co. but the list is not exhaustive.
For example there's the famous IBC acetate, Regent Sound, Trident Studios, Emidisc, just to mention some I saw around in pix. And I remember a Dandelion on Audiodisc plus a selection of Between the buttons tracks on the label United Recordings.
Unless... they 're all fakes.

Back to the metal laquers, I recently met a Beatles collector who told me that there are many beatles fake acetates on eBay and doing one copy can cost around 400€. The fact is that the only possibility to detect if an acetate is fake is, in my opinion, the aproximative age of the item which we can only understand by the label.
I'm of the opinion that Stones fake acetates arrived recently, after the 90's; so let's say that we should "touch" the item, smell it, and try to give an age to it.
Between an acetate of 1964 and a recent one tehre should be the same discolouration and consumption due to age, as there's for any official vinyl.

But if somebody here knows other methods, please give us his advice.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: March 21, 2009 22:07

Many thanks for your answer straycat58... One more: Do you consider of confidence Transco? I saw an acetate of Tumbling Dice on this "company".

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 22, 2009 01:25

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 22, 2009 01:44

Date: March 22, 2009 02:27

Ricky
Do you consider of confidence Transco? I saw an acetate of Tumbling Dice on this "company".

no idea, sorry.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 86

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home