Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Celebrating 'Goats Head Soup' - 35 Years Old
Posted by: Live! ()
Date: August 30, 2008 23:46

Released on August 31, 1973.
I keep on returning to this album...I love it!

Track				Version	Time	Album Reference
Dancing With Mr D			I	4:40	Mad Shadows (Bootleg CD)
				II	4:50	GHS (LP/CD)
100 Years Ago			-	3:56	GHS (LP/CD)
				Unmixed	4:03	Acetates (Bootleg CD)
Coming Down Again			-	5:53	GHS (LP/CD)
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)	-	3:26	GHS (LP/CD)
Angie				-	4:30	GHS (LP/CD)
Silver Train			I	3:38	From The Archives (Bootleg LP)
				II	3:57	Mad Shadows (Bootleg CD)
				III	4:26	GHS (LP/CD)
				Unmixed	4:28	Acetates (Bootleg CD)
Hide Your Love			-	4:11	GHS (LP/CD)
				Unmixed	4:11	Acetates (Bootleg CD)
Winter				-	5:29	GHS (LP/CD)
Can You Hear The Music		-	5:30	GHS (LP/CD)
Star Star				I	4:25	GHS (LP/CD)
				II	4:25	GHS (Cleaned Up Version, US LP)
- Thanks to Das Weissbuch by Dieter Hoffmann

More details on Wikipedia [Redirect]

Re: Celebrating 'Goats Head Soup' - 35 Years Old
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 30, 2008 23:54

Fantastic music here. STAR STAR rocks really hard.

I started college in Sept 1973 and this was the first album I bought my freshman year.

Great memories are attached to GHS.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 31, 2008 01:11

There are songs on GHS i really like,especially Can You Hear The Music.
But as a song and opener Mr D is really weak.

Was it ever played live after 73 ?

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 31, 2008 01:14

i love about half of goats head soup.

the other half is ok, nothing special really.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 31, 2008 01:15

Love it ...Pleasure for the heart and it's got Keith's Angie hinging the flip from side one ta side two...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 31, 2008 01:53

I have always loved GHS since the first time i played it thru.About 1990.
People say it is a weak album,I dont think so.It's the Stones in Jamaica in 1972,that is where there head was at at the time and I dig it.
100 Years Ago
Winter
Star Star,what else is there to say,I think alot of Stones fans get to hung up on comparing it to Exile,too bad,because both albums stand on there on.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: August 31, 2008 02:44

The 1st Stones "new release" I ever bought - still remains dear to my heart even tho it's not my favorite.

Date: August 31, 2008 03:19

This may be sacrilege but I've always connected more with 1973's GHS than with 1972's Exile. There's way more imagery and atmosphere to Exile but GHS has some really beautiful guitar playing - the whole album is more subtle.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 31, 2008 03:37

dont forget the two classics from this album,ANGIE and HEARTBREAKER,there are other classics on this album such as WINTER, 100 YEARS, STAR STAR AND SILVER TRAIN,but those just dont get enough air play for people to get to know them

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2008 04:01

Found this on shidoobee:

Goats Head Soup

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: August 31, 2008 04:03

cool smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 31, 2008 04:07

melillo
dont forget the two classics from this album,ANGIE and HEARTBREAKER,there are other classics on this album such as WINTER, 100 YEARS, STAR STAR AND SILVER TRAIN,but those just dont get enough air play for people to get to know them

Theres a good reason why Star Star doesnt get much airplay!

Definitely a step down quality wise from the 4 masterpieces that had preceded it, which makes it an overlooked release. A bit unfortunate as its a good enough album judged on it's own merits.

Its also the worst mixed studio album the Stones ever released, which doesnt help. It really did take the Mickboy remaster to make me appreciate it more.

There's a few throwaways or pieces which havent aged well, but it's high points are truly magnificent. "Winter" is one of the most beautiful songs the band have ever recorded and showcases Taylor at his best - "Comin' Down Again" is an absolute gem of a song which really deserves to be better known (and also performed occasionally!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-31 04:31 by Gazza.

Date: August 31, 2008 04:11

Love winter thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-31 04:14 by Harlix.

Date: August 31, 2008 04:12

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2008 04:16

I've always loved the album. My older brother bought it when it came out,
and put the pic of the goat (see pic above) on his bedroom door.
With that, and the smell of weed drifting from under his door,
my parents had reason to be alarmed. lol.

Date: August 31, 2008 04:25

*LOL* Hairball grinning smiley I love this album and ill guess its where my Stonesstory started only 13 years old........

smoking smiley

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 31, 2008 04:30

<<But as a song and opener Mr D is really weak. Was it ever played live after 73 ?>>

No, last appearance; Berlin Oct 19 1973

It took me a long time to get into this record. Eventually it has become one of my fave Stones records...the best tracks imo are Winter and Coming Down Again...and Hide Your Love.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 31, 2008 05:17

Gazza
melillo

Theres a good reason why Star Star doesnt get much airplay!

Definitely a step down quality wise from the 4 masterpieces that had preceded it, which makes it an overlooked release. A bit unfortunate as its a good enough album judged on it's own merits.

Its also the worst mixed studio album the Stones ever released, which doesnt help. It really did take the Mickboy remaster to make me appreciate it more.

There's a few throwaways or pieces which havent aged well, but it's high points are truly magnificent. "Winter" is one of the most beautiful songs the band have ever recorded and showcases Taylor at his best - "Comin' Down Again" is an absolute gem of a song which really deserves to be better known (and also performed occasionally!).

Funny you mention the mixes. I don't think it's badly mixed, just oddly mixed.
They kinda went for a mono-ish type mix (As is IORR). The Stones were, of course,
never a hi-fi snobs' fan. IT also could be the times (1973).
AS I think back to a few records released at that time, none seemed to have
a nice, crisp mix like, say, Some Girls or Tattoo You.
Albums like Red Rose Speedway, Living In The Material World, even Quadrophenia
don't have a mix that really jumps out of the speakers.
Most mid-70s records just didn't.
I do agree with you on the Mickboy version.
Also, I have a soft spot for this record as it was the first I bought
and is the reason for this madness.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 31, 2008 05:41

After a bunch of compilations this is the first real album I bought.
I heard 'Angie' on radio Luxemburg. These days all you hear are rock classics on the radio. Back in the 80s, that was not the case. You only heard shitty disco music. And I was too young to understand Joy Division and the Cure, that could be heard in the evenings.
We were living on the country side, and there were no good record shops. So when I got to a town just to visit my grandma I took the opportunity and asked the people in the record shop which record featured 'Angie'. It was 1982, and to this day GHS is my favourite stones record.
I'll probably play it regularly until I'm out of here. The record is one big highlight.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 31, 2008 05:41

I am in the "I love Goats Head Soup" category. Didn't even own this one until a couple of years ago,when I decided I needed to plug this hole in the collection. Mainly because I love "Winter". But I was quickly,pleasantly surprised to find the whole album quite good. I'm among those who worship the song Winter. But "Can You Hear The Music" is another gem in my opinion.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 31, 2008 06:09

GHS is so special because it has a certain mood that runs through the whole record. I've never quite been able to classify it, but when you want to hear GHS, there isn't another record in their catalog quite like it.

Same with Between the Buttons. I defy you to find the album that fits that same mood.

Not so for a lot of their catalogue:
If you just listened to Beggars, you go to Let It Bleed.
If you were digging Emotional Rescue head to Tattoo You.

That's what makes GHS so special, imo

Date: August 31, 2008 06:29

Mick Jagger - Dynamic Sound Studio Kingston 1972 - Adrian Boot

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 31, 2008 11:10

Goats Head Soup lacks the focus of the previous 4 albums but in some ways i don't believe that's altogether a bad thing because there is a certain lethargy within the sound which over repeated listens is quite intoxicating. It's also quite melancholy in places with some really beautiful musicianship as well as wonderful vocals. An album like that would never be made today, because music has become a lot more corporate, with less opportunities to be adventurous. As a group of individual songs it may not compare with some of the Stones earlier efforts,but for possessing soul and beauty it's right at the top of the pile. My view is the production perfectly compliments the hazy feel of its contents, which is another thing which would never happen in today's high tech world. It's an album based on feel primarily, and in many ways is the very antithesis of the very instant, and ultimately extremely shallow Some Girls - it has far more depth.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 31, 2008 11:55

I love the Goats Head Soup album. Dancing With Mr D is really pale compared to the European Tour 1973 versions - but the rest is top-notch; even Can You Hear The Music....which seems like an unpopular tune on this board. What if they'd included You Should Have Seen Her Ass and Save Me on GHS....? Maybe they should have done just that.
I agree with Gazza about the mix; it's too muddy and dark - which is probably the reason why it was Jimmy Millers last RS album.

Date: August 31, 2008 12:05

You Should Have Seen Her Ass

YEAH that thing rocks harder than a barrel of horny monkeys
on coke-dipped peanuts........AND I still wanna now the fvrckin' lyrics!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 31, 2008 12:25

Ha ha, yeah - the lyrics; such a classic Jaggerish way of singing before getting the lyrics together. ALmost like a person who don't understand English, but still try to fake the audience as good as he can when doing vocals

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 31, 2008 12:44

My favourite, really. Yes, I understand - in my head - the qualities of 68-72, but my heart choses GHS. I had my first girlfriend at the time...and you just never forget the combination...To me, it IS the most romantic Stones-album.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 31, 2008 13:19

I love how this album keeps gaining momentum as a fans' favourite. For many years lots of Stones fans I know derided it as the beginning of the end of their classic years. I disagree. They just moved into new territory, perhaps influenced a little bit by the singer-songwriter genre that was so popular back then. I have to agree with Gazza though on Star Star being not up to scratch. It was the first time that they wrote such an overtly 'join the dots' Chuck Berry-styled rocker...almost a cartoon parody of their own style. But one duff song amid an album of gems such as the dreamy Can You Hear The Music, the reflective, wistful Winter and Coming Down Again, the r'n'b swagger of Hide Your Love, and of course the classic rock of 100 Years Ago.

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: August 31, 2008 15:20

[de.wikipedia.org]

Bad mood because of rape of Wyman's girlfriend?

Intro to MrD is lovely rollin'

Thypical Beatles Fan: "i like the stones, i like 'Angie'"

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: August 31, 2008 15:56

I always liked Charlie's drumming and the wah-wah (if that's the effect) on 100 Years Ago. I remember that my cousin had the 8-track and that was all she would listen to in her car.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home