Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: O/T: Gustav
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 1, 2008 16:04

The best to all of you out there

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 1, 2008 16:55

Take care, EG, and all in the path. Gotcha in our prayers.

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: September 1, 2008 17:38

Seems that Gustav is in level 2 at the moment.
Texas crude oil futures, are goin' down about 3.60%.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 2, 2008 01:59

Baboon Bro
God bless. Sure ya gonna make it, Edith. Keep cool.

How about the other hurricane; on its way to Lukester-land!?

Hannah is the next one on the way.Probably hit closer to Elmo-Land than Lukester's mouintain hideout Bro. Another one behind that,Ike pointed towards Florida. Meanwhile the worst isn't over in LA. Plaquemines Parish south of NO is being evacuated.(those who didn't leave already). Because of fear that the levee there may fail.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 2, 2008 02:39

I'm cool in the mountains. Thanks for asking BaboonMan. Hurricane Hugo came through here in 1989. Other than that we just watch 'em on TV.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 2, 2008 03:36

It figures that they way over hyped this one but sometimes you never know. However with Katrina it was a massive storm with a well defined eye, which Gustav never really appeared to be.

If anything, it allowed the city officials to cordinate evacuation procedures for future storms. Which I think they were itching to do anyways to prove to everyone that they are in control. (The Republican governor that is) Don't think for a moment that there was not any politics involved with the hype and evacuation.

Calling it the storm of the century was pure rubbish as its path did not lead to any destructive scenes that Katrina laid to waste. Katrina destroyed the gulf coast from Mississippi to Lousiana. Gustav never came close to that beast.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 2, 2008 14:31

I'm glad that the hurricane did not live up to its potential but there is a downside to that also . The next time there is potential for abig one the folks who evacuated this time may be a bit reluctant to leave feeling that last time was an example of The Boy Who Cried Wolf .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 3, 2008 00:10

Howdy ya'll!

I'm still in Jackson, MS, at a public library right now.
This computer is slower than molasses in January. Took me five minutes to log on here.
Waiting on the word to get back into New Orleans. Last I heard it could be Thursday at the earliest.

We dodged a bullet, IMO. It could have maintained strength at landfall if conditions permitted.
I'm not sorry I evacuated, and if another category three or better in the Gulf was heading my way again, I'd leave again for sure.
Anyone see the video of the waves topping the floodwall at the Industrial Canal? That's only a few miles from my home.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. See ya'll again when I get back home.

Cheers!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 3, 2008 00:26

Nice to see ya well, Señor Grove... smileys with beer
I aint on this wavelength some are here, that Guistav is overrated etc..
Have had "minor" flood & my folks have had their cellar ruined three times
ion two years & I know it aint no kids play, these things.
Lots of raion here too now, but nothin at all like your disasters.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 3, 2008 01:20

>>
This computer is slower than molasses in January. Took me five minutes to log on here.<<

Glad youre doing well, Edith.

now get them lasses to leave go at ya, since your're in a public library!
I'm sure it took ya 5 minutes - wait is that all ?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 3, 2008 01:21

Edith Grove
Howdy ya'll!

This computer is slower than molasses in January. Took me five minutes to log on here.
Waiting on the word to get back into New Orleans. Last I heard it could be Thursday at the earliest.

We dodged a bullet, IMO. It could have maintained strength at landfall if conditions permitted.
I'm not sorry I evacuated, and if another category three or better in the Gulf was heading my way again, I'd leave again for sure.
Anyone see the video of the waves topping the floodwall at the Industrial Canal? That's only a few miles from my home.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. See ya'll again when I get back home.

Cheers!

It's always good to hear from you Mr. Grove, but especially after an unsettling hurrimotherfvckingcane. I did see the video of waves lapping over the Industrial Canal. The levee looked like it could rupture.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 3, 2008 02:14

Great to hear from you EG. What Stones songs you listening to to keep you going? Dare I suggest Gimme Shelter sounding too real to mention right now?

Date: September 3, 2008 02:58

Nice to hear your chillin in Jackson EG.Doin the Country Honk? "I'm sittin' in a bar tippling a jar in jackson".Library,my ass........As for Gustav. I don't think that it was a bad idea to evacuate people. But then to tell them they can't come back for 3 more days. That I have a problem with. Let people get back to their lives. Now I think they are trying to justify the evacuation by not letting people come back.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 3, 2008 03:05

This one is dedicated to Ebenezer.. Sorry - Edith Grove over in Jackson.....

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 3, 2008 04:00

Edith Grove
See ya'll again when I get back home.Cheers!

Glad you kept dry. Your butt whuppin' will be waiting when you get back home!

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 3, 2008 04:40

Glad you're safe.

Date: September 3, 2008 05:19

SomeTorontoGirl
Edith Grove

With friends like you,who needs nemesis'moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 3, 2008 05:29

sweetcharmedlife
With friends like you,who needs nemesis'moody smiley

Just defending what's left of my honour... cool smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 3, 2008 11:10

Great to see our friends are OK

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 3, 2008 18:04

Well the surge wasn't as high as Katrina in Mandeville. But yesterday it was still hanging around. I went kayacking through yards and over the road just for shits and giggles.

My house did not flood - none of the surge they predicted for the North Shore ever came true - that I am aware of at this time. Power is dodgy, at a friend's house and they have power somehow. Dunno if our home does or not - it should, we're on the same grid as the fire department. I think the winds got up to around 70. Don't know for sure yet.

My plants, for the most part, came through pretty good. One banana plant broke, some of leaning over but nothing got smashed. And no surge at home.

Those waves "overtopping" that tiny wall in the Industrial Canal - when are they gonna make something better? That barge gets loose and it's all over. And the MR-GO is still open. Brilliant.

We came home on...Monday, in the evening. Got home just fine. No one was out, no wires down - at least the way we came home. Dusk to dawn curfew is still in effect.

Overtopping. Dodged the bullet. Packing winds. Cone of uncertainty. The dumbest sayings are always during hurricanes. If you go over something, that's the top right? So the surge topped the levees. What is it the rest of the time, underbottoming? Ha ha!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 3, 2008 21:09

Bye bye Gustav,hello skipstone,Edith Grove and all the others ,remember the
Keith oracle : "It´s good to be here,it´s..."smoking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 4, 2008 04:36

It's good to be HOME!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 6, 2008 03:00

SomeTorontoGirl
Edith Grove

OK, I'm home now. confused smiley

Arrived home yesterday.
Electricity was working, but no internet and no cable TV, therefore, I consumed mass quantities of Heineken!

Most of New Orleans fared pretty well, lots of fallen trees, electricity outages, etc.

Southwest of New Orleans is another story.
Lots of homes destroyed. A few co-workers of mine live in this area and received major damage to their homes.
I went back to work today but, obviously, I did not see any of these co-workers.
I think today was the first day that residents were allowed back in that area to look at their property.
It has taken since Monday to clear the roads there, and residents are only allowed in during daylight hours, then must leave again.

Drummer_dude lives in this area, and I notice he hasn't posted since before the hurricane. He also lost his mother just a few months ago.
I'm hoping he'll be on here shortly and let us know he's OK.

Date: September 6, 2008 04:50

Edith Grove
SomeTorontoGirl
Edith Grove

OK, I'm home now. confused smiley

Arrived home yesterday.
Electricity was working, but no internet and no cable TV, therefore, I consumed mass quantities of Heineken!

Most of New Orleans fared pretty well, lots of fallen trees, electricity outages, etc.

Southwest of New Orleans is another story.
Lots of homes destroyed. A few co-workers of mine live in this area and received major damage to their homes.
I went back to work today but, obviously, I did not see any of these co-workers.
I think today was the first day that residents were allowed back in that area to look at their property.
It has taken since Monday to clear the roads there, and residents are only allowed in during daylight hours, then must leave again.

Drummer_dude lives in this area, and I notice he hasn't posted since before the hurricane. He also lost his mother just a few months ago.
I'm hoping he'll be on here shortly and let us know he's OK.

Welcome back EG. Glad to hear NO made it through pretty well. But yes very serious damage in other parts. I guess Baton Rouge got hit pretty hard.LSU's stadium was damaged and they cancelled their game Sat. Best wishes to Drummer Dude and anybody else hit hard by this. Hanna doesn't look too bad. But Ike looks like it could be serious trouble....But Grover, drinking mass quantities of Heineken is never a bad idea.smileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 6, 2008 06:12

I'm glad you made it though OK Skipstone and Edith Grove. I hope Drummer dude did as well. I don't like Ike!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home