Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 28, 2009 20:42

UrbanSteel
Exile on 2 cd's ?

to better make more money, my dear....

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: May 28, 2009 20:55

''they have boosted the volume and used the original US vinyl mix on "Star Star" which attempts to disguise the "pussy clean" line'' (unquote)

- Well, that does it for me. I'll never buy these, if 'Deluxe' means 'edited.' How revolting. I'll keep my "Exile' vinyl copy and my Virgin single disc 'Exile' remaster, thank you kindly.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 28, 2009 20:59

Perhaps it's the Japan-promo ....

All these albums will be /are released as SHM-CDs by UMC in Japan, too.

But Exile was never been released by Virgin Records in 1972, ...???

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: May 28, 2009 21:46

no but it (Exile) was re-released on Virgin in 1994

Date: May 28, 2009 22:52

Taylor Era
no but it (Exile) was re-released on Virgin in 1994

Yes, but asked about these text seen on the sreens posted by UrbanSteel:

Fake or mistake by UMC Japan???

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 28, 2009 23:12

Well, turning EXILE into a 2-disc set is preserving the original vinyl release, I suppose. As a boon for the band and bean-counters everywhere, it would also see the album's RIAA certification revert to multi-platinum (as it was certified in the waning days of vinyl) from platinum (which it was re-certified as when the RIAA counted the title as a single disc CD instead of a double disc LP). It would also offer a means of adding video content to each disc instead of releasing the anticipated CD/DVD package. Either way, it means a higher SRP for Universal and Promotone. Its not surprising that the promo incorrectly shows a July release date as promos are often produced in advance, such discrepancies are not uncommon. As for the error about listing the title as a 1972 Virgin release instead of Atlantic, this isn't the first time we've seen such sloppiness. The GOATS HEAD SOUP remaster lists "Angie" as being published by ABKCO instead of PromoPub or Colgems-EMI.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2009 01:21

My vote goes to a 4-cd edition of Exile. One disc per side winking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:18

And why is it being release on 2 records? Virgin and CBS did it on one.

Ha ha....first release by Virgin. That's a good one.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 29, 2009 04:13

please let this thread die --- 45 pages...HAVE MERCY BABY!!!

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: May 29, 2009 05:05

Best thread ever!!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 29, 2009 18:26

Rocky Dijon
Well, turning EXILE into a 2-disc set is preserving the original vinyl release, I suppose. As a boon for the band and bean-counters everywhere, it would also see the album's RIAA certification revert to multi-platinum (as it was certified in the waning days of vinyl) from platinum (which it was re-certified as when the RIAA counted the title as a single disc CD instead of a double disc LP). It would also offer a means of adding video content to each disc instead of releasing the anticipated CD/DVD package. Either way, it means a higher SRP for Universal and Promotone. Its not surprising that the promo incorrectly shows a July release date as promos are often produced in advance, such discrepancies are not uncommon. As for the error about listing the title as a 1972 Virgin release instead of Atlantic, this isn't the first time we've seen such sloppiness. The GOATS HEAD SOUP remaster lists "Angie" as being published by ABKCO instead of PromoPub or Colgems-EMI.

Oh Yeh? So Universal's loyalties obviously lie more with Klein & Co !

Date: May 29, 2009 19:07

Rocky Dijon

I've this new remastered Goats Head Soup released by UMC,
This is a scan from the inlay:

And later on we can find:
Track 5 (P) 1993 Promotone B.V. under exclusive license to Universal International Music B.V.

But nothing about ABKCO !!!

Date: May 29, 2009 20:10

... but after all, surely there is a way to get "Angie" by ABKCO, too, same way as Miss You, Happy, Love Is Strong, Mixed Emotions and some more:

All these tracks you can find on Forty Licks, published by ABKCO, Virgin etc

Date: May 29, 2009 20:43

Westminister and ABKCO are/were joint publishers of Jagger/Richards songs from 1963-1970 depending on the territory. Promopub (publishing division of Promotone) published Jagger/Richards songs from 1972-1977. Colgems/EMI Music took over administration of the Promopub titles and all subsequent Jagger/Richards songs published from 1978-1984. Promopub was reactivated for new Jagger/Richards songs (and a fair amount of their solo songwriting efforts) from 1985-present. In any event, you shouldn't see Westminister/ABKCO listed as publishing anything after the handful of tracks on EXILE written before 1971 (Sweet Virginia, Loving Cup, All Down the Line, Shine a Light, and formerly Stop Breaking Down until Robert Johnson's estate sorted out his publishing rights).

Date: May 29, 2009 21:00

source: [www.forpiano.com]

and many more sources all over www ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 21:04 by HighwireC.

Date: May 29, 2009 21:13

Thanks. Never knew Westminister's publishing rights extended beyond 1970. Its not that way in North America.

Date: May 29, 2009 21:27

Nevermind. Didn't know nothing about Westminster Music Limited before ... smileys with beer

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 30, 2009 00:20

perhaps I scanned thru these 45 pages of posts too quickly, but what specific distortion are folks alluding too? There is distortion on som of these orig. masters. I'm of the mind set that tap hiss should not be removed from the master when transferred to cd. With only SF, GHS & IORR so far, i'd note GHS especially is full of distortion, sonic oddness, ghost vocals, etc...& all that remains - re pussy clean maybe they used the orig american master???

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 30, 2009 22:02

Schaltone BV of Holland.............another Stones publishing company??

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 30, 2009 22:54

john r
perhaps I scanned thru these 45 pages of posts too quickly, but what specific distortion are folks alluding too? There is distortion on some of these orig. masters. I'm of the mind set that tap hiss should not be removed from the master when transferred to cd. With only SF, GHS & IORR so far, i'd note GHS especially is full of distortion, sonic oddness, ghost vocals, etc..

Do a comparison between the Virgin CD's and the new remasters on a nice set of headphones. They've managed to take distortion that was buried in the mix and put it in the forefront (especially on SF & GHS). With the exception of the distortion, the mixes are definitely cleaner and way louder.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 30, 2009 23:38

ajc68
john r
perhaps I scanned thru these 45 pages of posts too quickly, but what specific distortion are folks alluding too? There is distortion on some of these orig. masters. I'm of the mind set that tap hiss should not be removed from the master when transferred to cd. With only SF, GHS & IORR so far, i'd note GHS especially is full of distortion, sonic oddness, ghost vocals, etc..

Do a comparison between the Virgin CD's and the new remasters on a nice set of headphones. They've managed to take distortion that was buried in the mix and put it in the forefront (especially on SF & GHS). With the exception of the distortion, the mixes are definitely cleaner and way louder.

Here is a quote from a reviewer on Amazon (and I'm not saying he's right, I'm just quoting him)...

"At around 2:55 or thereabouts to about 3:05 into "Star Star" the volume gets turned up to a distortion level and then is slowly brought back down. To me this was VERY noticeable and sounds awful. How doesn't anyone at Universal notice this? It sounds almost like someone did an 'oops' and hit a knob and hoped nobody would notice as they slowly brought it back down to a normal level."

Has anybody noticed this?

Drew

Date: May 31, 2009 00:10

drewmaster
ajc68
john r

Here is a quote from a reviewer on Amazon (and I'm not saying he's right, I'm just quoting him)...

"At around 2:55 or thereabouts to about 3:05 into "Star Star" the volume gets turned up to a distortion level and then is slowly brought back down. To me this was VERY noticeable and sounds awful. How doesn't anyone at Universal notice this? It sounds almost like someone did an 'oops' and hit a knob and hoped nobody would notice as they slowly brought it back down to a normal level."

Drew

Yes, there is a difference to the remastered version released by Virgin/EMI, but it isn't loud, it's some kind of "live-loop-effect" to my ears ...

Date: May 31, 2009 00:13

HighwireC
drewmaster
ajc68
john r

Drew

Yes, there is a difference to the remastered version released by Virgin/EMI, but it isn't loud, it's some kind of "live-loop-effect" to my ears ...

What is a "live-loop-effect"??

Drew

Date: May 31, 2009 00:19

hmmm, it sounds like a little "applause" but not by audience, some "noise" to start a new verse ..., it gives a little kick ..., can't discribe it better ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-31 00:20 by HighwireC.

Date: May 31, 2009 00:22

HighwireC
hmmm, it sounds like a little "applause" but not by audience, some "noise" to start a new verse ..., it gives a little kick ..., can't discribe it better ...

Is it on the original vinyl?

Drew

Date: May 31, 2009 00:25

drewmaster
HighwireC

Drew

Ha, can't see it ...cool smiley and can't listen to it, too, because my LP-Player is broken ...eye rolling smiley

Date: May 31, 2009 00:29

HighwireC
drewmaster
HighwireC

Drew

Ha, can't see it ...cool smiley and can't listen to it, too, because my LP-Player is broken ...eye rolling smiley

No worries. Ok, we need some help here! Would someone who happens to own both the original GHS on vinyl and the newly-remastered Universal CD please compare and tell us if they both have this little "loop effect", or is it unique to the CD? Thanks!

Drew

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 31, 2009 04:35

On Suck On The Jugular there is distortion of Mick's vocals. But that was done during the recording.

What people are talking about with the distortion of the UMG reissues is OVERALL. You play it loud, it's possibly OK. You play it really loud it distorts. The ceiling was extended - and they took that space and filled it up. That is not dynamics, that is brickwalling. And that is what they did. So these reissues will be the worst ever releases in The Rolling Stones history of their catalog.

And as word continues to get around, they will not sell anything close to CBS or Virgin's reissues. Nobody wants something they can't listen to - except for rap "music" fans.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 31, 2009 06:57

skipstone, PLEASE, what is meant by "brickwalling"? I'm still sorting thru my impressions of SF, GHS, IORR, & B&B, each playrf 2, to 4 times...The fact my system has been set up in a diffeerent room as I'm back caretaking my mom at her house means everything (speaker placement etc)is still in need of tweaking...As I've said, my own aesthetic means I want engineers to not f*** with the source, in transfer from analog (well...) to digital medium; always preserve the essence of the 1st generation master as shaped by artist, producer, and engineers before delivered to the record co. for release - whatever idiosycracies, flaws tape hiss or 'distortion' there may be on tape - otherwise we have such stupid revisionism as the Zappa '90s Ryko disasters, or Jon Astley's butchering of Clapton's 'Rainbow Concert", originally a dense murky druggy yet fascinating document, surgically cut, neutered into an antiseptic, dishonest audio lie. Or the Allmans Fillmore album digitized into that frustrating "Fillmore Concerts" Polygram foisted on us in the early 90s. Heck, I still prefer Bowie's Raw Power to Iggy's remix (which might make a useful 2nd disc 'altmix' in a 'deluxe' editon). Exceptions include say longer versions of edited tracks when aesthetically superior i.e. 'Slave'. Or, natch, bonus stuff appended after the orig album. To me IORR is clearly livelier, more detailed, and overall less lumpy than original vunyl and subsequent CDs. Yet I find Stu's piano on the title track a bit less easy to follow than on the Virgin...perhaps a room/placement issue? The guitars sure are better delineated from the murk...The packaging of remains utterly unacceptable. Sonically however, I'm sometimes impressed - play 'Melody' or 'Fool To Cry' or' Cherry' and 'Negrita' and tell me my ears are telling lies!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2009 11:38

"play 'Melody' or 'Fool To Cry' or' Cherry' and 'Negrita' and tell me my ears are telling lies!"
They're not. Acc. to our expert Nikolai B&B is the "best" of the lot so far...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home