Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: The Rolling Stones' Worse Concert?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 18, 2008 17:47

How about attendance? Probably their least attended stadium show EVER was the Louisiana Supe in 1994 - less than 25,000 people showed up...they haven't been back since. And Heartbreaker sucked - it's NEVER been a good song live. It SUCKS. I don't know why they continue to do it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2008 17:47

Winning Ugly VXII
How cold could it have been in West Palm Beach,Florida on November 30th ??

I think they took the stage very late at night. Festival show wasnt it?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 18, 2008 17:51

Gazza
Winning Ugly VXII
How cold could it have been in West Palm Beach,Florida on November 30th ??

I think they took the stage very late at night. Festival show wasnt it?

Yeah---lotsa bands there, they closed, and it WAS cold. Freak cold front sank WAY down south.

JR

Date: August 18, 2008 18:34

<And Heartbreaker sucked - it's NEVER been a good song live. It SUCKS>

Did you forget the version on Brussels Affair? If that one sucks, you gotta find a new band smiling smiley

Date: August 18, 2008 18:40

Yeahsssss I've heard lots of different tour versions of Heartbreaker. They're all pretty bad.

Date: August 18, 2008 18:55

I agree, but the one on Brussels is at least decent smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2008 03:43

Yes, it is decent - but it's just, simply put, not good. Dancing With Mr D is good - it's funky. But Heartbreaker...ugh.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 19, 2008 11:07

Most of the 81/82 tour footage and bootlegs I have heard are not so...uhm...good. In fact it's horrible IMO.

The show in Frankfurt 2007 was pretty lame. Low attendance and the band really sucked that night. It was the worst Stones show I have ever been to.

Date: August 19, 2008 12:11

You guys must be listening to the wrong 1981 releases.I'll quote my earlier post :

" I recommend some of the many 1981 soundboards that surfaced a couple of years ago.They are light years ahead of Still Life.Saint Paul 1981,Cedar Falls 1981,Louisville '81,Lexington '81.Just listen to "Let It Bleed" from any of these shows (not Philadelphia or Phoenix as they messed it up at those shows).That's trademark Rolling Stones.Also,Imagination from the last month of the '81 tour was excellent. "

The guitar sound on these CD's is far from weak.To clarify things these discs are from the Dog & Cat and Empress Valley labels.They are different from what has always been out there.These soundboard tapes have just surfaced within the last few years.The Hartford shows are right up there as well.One of the two Hartford '81 shows was in circulation for years as a soundboard (not quite complete) but,the other was available only as a fair audience recording.Now,the other show (I'm pretty sure that it's the first of the two shows -) is available as a soundboard (usually packaged with the other concert) and it is excellent quality.

I'm not saying that it was the best tour the Stones have ever played but,people here are selling it way short.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 19, 2008 16:11

Winning Ugly VXII
You guys must be listening to the wrong 1981 releases.I'll quote my earlier post :

" I recommend some of the many 1981 soundboards that surfaced a couple of years ago.They are light years ahead of Still Life.Saint Paul 1981,Cedar Falls 1981,Louisville '81,Lexington '81.Just listen to "Let It Bleed" from any of these shows (not Philadelphia or Phoenix as they messed it up at those shows).That's trademark Rolling Stones.Also,Imagination from the last month of the '81 tour was excellent. "

The guitar sound on these CD's is far from weak.To clarify things these discs are from the Dog & Cat and Empress Valley labels.They are different from what has always been out there.These soundboard tapes have just surfaced within the last few years.The Hartford shows are right up there as well.One of the two Hartford '81 shows was in circulation for years as a soundboard (not quite complete) but,the other was available only as a fair audience recording.Now,the other show (I'm pretty sure that it's the first of the two shows -) is available as a soundboard (usually packaged with the other concert) and it is excellent quality.

I'm not saying that it was the best tour the Stones have ever played but,people here are selling it way short.

True words from winning ugly and it must be said again: Hampton 18th is a real
excellent one !

By the way , skipstone : Dancin with Mr D from Brussels 73 "good and funky"and
Heartbreaker not ???? Don´t know your sources but if anything from Brussels 73
is funky it´s definitely Heartbreaker !!! ( I agree that other live versions of it are, hmmmm, weak,lame,not so good - ok ,bad,but this one is a killerversion)

Counterattack ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Skipstone ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 19:07 by shortfatfanny.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 21, 2008 19:09

Skipstone,what´s the matter ????

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 19:34

skipstone
How about attendance? Probably their least attended stadium show EVER was the Louisiana Supe in 1994 - less than 25,000 people showed up...they haven't been back since. And Heartbreaker sucked - it's NEVER been a good song live. It SUCKS. I don't know why they continue to do it.

Cleveland 94 may have had worse attendance. I don't remember well, but probably less than 20,000 people were in an 80,000 seat stadium. Lots of space on the field and a nearly empty upper deck.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: August 24, 2008 04:43

i was at the afternoon show in oshawa in 1979 and they were pretty sloppy. although i don't remember them being as bad as they are on the blind date bootleg which i believe is from the evening show. at the time i thught they were holding back for the evening show while a freind of mine who was at the evening show thought they had spent themselves at the afternoon show.

the buffalo show at the end of the 75 was pretty messy too - jagger was tits up drunk, keith & ronnie wired on lsd.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 24, 2008 21:37

Winning Ugly VXII
sweetcharmedlife
The 3rd London O2 show.

No way.Everyone said this was a solid show.It was definitely not their worst show ever.

I think it was quite mediocre, in all fairness. The second one was ace, tough.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 24, 2008 21:41

from what IVe heard of Wembley 82 it sounds pretty bad. I don't know if its the mix or the band or what. The tempo sounds off and the horns are distracting.

Date: August 24, 2008 21:51

madrid 2007 was bad due keith

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: August 24, 2008 22:23

skipstone
And Heartbreaker sucked - it's NEVER been a good song live. It SUCKS. I don't know why they continue to do it.

Heared it two times: Munich 2003 and Werchter 2007 - both versions were really great and big surprises. Don't want to hear it too often but 2 times in 12 shows is quite good.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 24, 2008 22:49

Orbit
Attended:
Hague 98 (show OK, terrible weather)
Twickenham 2 2003 (nosebleed seats, poor sound - tape sounds better but all seems a bit untogether)

Twick 2 2003 was also one of my most disapointing shows, although the Stade de France was really bad for me too, more due to the sound quality where I was. The 2006 stadium shows at Twicks were far better and restored my faith in the band as a live entity. (and then the O2 shows blew me away...)
I don't have many bootlegs of early stones shows but I'd have thought that some of those must have been pretty bad. I mean, if they couldn't hear themselves, how could they play to their best?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-24 22:58 by sjs12.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 24, 2008 22:54

cc
changing the setlist just wasn't an issue before the current age of wide sharing of shows via the internet and the nonsensical sport of setlist-watching.

Agree entirely. Although I think they should vary the setlist a bit in the same city - which they do seem to do.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 24, 2008 23:36

I've seen the Stones back to back in the same city in Boulder in '81, LA in 89, Portland in '98, and Vegas in '02 and they always did it a little different each night like sjs12 said. Vegas '02 was, of course, a club show then an arena show so it was the most different but the others all had a few different songs to make it interesting and worth it. When I saw Paul Mccartney in Vegas in '02 it was so good that I had to go back the next night to see what he'd do different and it was EXACTLY the same. May as well been a Broadway show or even a movie. Unfortunatly, that sort of ruined both shows for me. I wish I hadn't gone back that next night. I never felt that way about the Stones.
My worst Stones show was Denver '94. I had good seats but I couldn't hear the guitars. Plus out of sheer luck and coincedence I got to see the sound check all by myself from the fifth row in a pretty much empty stadium. After that I think maybe the show itself couldn't top the sound check for me.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:53

A lot of the 1978 Some Girls tour got bad reviews, particularly early shows. I saw them in Buffalo early in the tour and they were great. I just think people were expecting a show based on established songs, and not so much new material. I know a ton of people who were so turned off by the show, they never attended another Stones concert. I loved the new material and loved the show (though it was short).

Part of the problem of any Stones show is the bar is set very high - first by their reputation as the world's greatest band....and now by the huge ticket price.

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: August 25, 2008 21:03

schillid
Winning Ugly VXII
Zack
schillid
Philly 81
first show...

Yes!

It's certainly an entertaining show to listen to because it's so sloppy, and Ronnie going on about his lost ring. Tops was a disaster, and Satisfaction was deliciously horrible!

I'm not sure but I remember one show from 81 where during Let it Bleed they couldn't find the bridge (James Brown call your office!) and it just kept going and going . . . and going.

It was probably Phoenix,maybe Philly.

I was at the first Philly show in 1981. Lots of trainwrecks... I couldn't believe it was THE Rolling Stones.

They destroyed LIB... Mick stopped the song in the middle of a verse, and said to Ronnie something like: "No, it goes to F there."
And Ronnie said to Mick: "Oh... I thought it goes back to C." Then they finished what was left of that number.

The day wasn't a total loss... I drew this picture that afternoon:

yaa i was too and there and i agree 100%...

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: August 25, 2008 21:05

nice pic by the way

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 8, 2009 23:57

Stockholm'98 : poor gig overall & listen to the free-jazz version of JJF.
In other words the brass guys had to play improvised licks to cover the guitarists's asses.
A train wreck gloriously captured by the Crystal Cat gang winking smiley

Date: February 9, 2009 00:03

Missed this thread back then. Dunno where I was. Not online, obviously.

I've never been impressed with ANY of the live versions of Heartbreaker I've heard. That's all. I've said it elsewhere - they can play a very true excellent version of Monkey Man after all these years but Heartbreaker sounds like they're trying to fly a plane into the ground without getting airborne first.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 9, 2009 00:30

Hm...Heartbreaker -73 not good? I think it is absolutely wonderful!!! -75 and on - different story indeed as far as I´m concerned.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 9, 2009 00:51

Nashville 97 was bad. BtB tour with 30 degree temps and 40 mph winds blowing the sound. It pretty much sucked.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 9, 2009 00:57

Tantekäthe
I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..). Keith Richards could not be bothered, he delivered a lick here and a hook there, otherwise he was just posing and mugging, and his guitar performance in "Sympathy" (which was the usual bore, btw) was just atrocious. I really wondered what must happen before they finally will be booed off the stage. The average concert goer does not seem to care.

I have to agree, unfortunately. Everything Tantekäthe writes is gospel truth. Cologne 2006 was dreadful. Ronnie was a complete catastrophe. After this show I wanted him fired from the band - he was that foolish and unprofessional and I was that angry and disappointed. I felt like shooting the bastard. Thank God he improved in later shows and even came to save the 2007 leg of the Euro-Bang tour...on that one Keith was usually the culprit...

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: February 9, 2009 05:10

To me the worst concert I've seen we're the Gothenburg 1982 show.

The reasons for that were back then and still are.

01. The bad sound.
02. Mick's singing.
03. The setlist.
04. After J Geils Band had finished their warm up act
everyone was excited and the Stones couldn't match up to that one!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 9, 2009 09:04

The worts one i´ve seen

helsinki-2003 and hamburg-98

best ones i´ve seen:Cirkus krone-2003,Gothenburg-90,Hershey-05

Worst by audio:Munster-76,Boulder-78,Glasgow-90,all 2006 show.

Best by audio:Anything from 1969-1982.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home