Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: The Rolling Stones' Worse Concert?
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 9, 2009 11:46

Werchter 2007 was really low level at sometimes, SFTD being one of the worst versions I ever heard.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 9, 2009 12:12

OK:
1. HYDE PARK 1969
2. OPENING NIGHT PHILADELPHIA 1981

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2009 15:06

marko
The worts one i´ve seen

helsinki-2003 and hamburg-98

best ones i´ve seen:Cirkus krone-2003,Gothenburg-90,Hershey-05

Worst by audio:Munster-76,Boulder-78,Glasgow-90,all 2006 show.

Best by audio:Anything from 1969-1982.

Funny, I was at Glasgow in 1990 and remember it as being a really good show.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 9, 2009 15:46

I will not judge a concert from a bootleg. Unless you are in the room, you cannot judge. Unmixed, poorly mixed and sterile soundboards are great to collect and to hear the band at a particular time, but no substitute for how they sounded in the space.

Of the shows I have attended, they have been flat (SarsStock), poor sound (Buffalo 1978), etc, but never horrible.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 9, 2009 17:03

Werchter 2007

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: February 9, 2009 18:01

Didn't dig Anaheim '78 that much. But remember it was one of their first big outdoor shows, so it took them awhile to get it down.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 9, 2009 20:00

Sleepy City
OK, none of us have seen or heard every RS show, but of the shows we have visual &/or audio evidence for, what do you think was their worse performance?

I'd have to go for Knebworth '76 myself. Jagger was still doing his growling/slurring voice (used extensively on the 1975/76 tours), & the band sounded very sloppy (probably the best thing about the show was that they dug out quite a few oldies that they hadn't played in a while). And what the f*ck was Jagger on that night?

I think Knebworth was one of their best concerts!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 9, 2009 20:32

Turd On The Run
Tantekäthe
I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..). Keith Richards could not be bothered, he delivered a lick here and a hook there, otherwise he was just posing and mugging, and his guitar performance in "Sympathy" (which was the usual bore, btw) was just atrocious. I really wondered what must happen before they finally will be booed off the stage. The average concert goer does not seem to care.

I have to agree, unfortunately. Everything Tantekäthe writes is gospel truth. Cologne 2006 was dreadful. Ronnie was a complete catastrophe. After this show I wanted him fired from the band - he was that foolish and unprofessional and I was that angry and disappointed. I felt like shooting the bastard. Thank God he improved in later shows and even came to save the 2007 leg of the Euro-Bang tour...on that one Keith was usually the culprit...

And Ronnie even admitted it: "I hit rock bottom that night" or something like that. The bootleg proves it, especially in the softer songs: A guitarrist who plays rubbish and Keith who had become a non-playing player, Blondie low in the mix. The Stones: THE guitar band without guitars...

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: February 9, 2009 20:43

finally somebody mentioned hyde park! far and away the worst I've ever heard the stones. tuning was atrocious!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:09

Wow, a previous poster listed Nashville '97. It was cold as the night [evening] went on, but the best sound I'd ever heard at a concert, from where we were sitting everything was crystal clear, fabulous.
I've heard Memphis Pyramid show in '99 had good sound, but for us everything was muddy as all get out.

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:19

Gaylord Entertainment Center (NASHVILLE, TN)
November 25, 2002

(For a brief period I questioned my sanity for ever paying that much for a ticket to see a rocknroll show and wandered if I'd ever bother to ever pay more that $25 to see any band or musician again in my life).

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:22

gmanp
Wow, a previous poster listed Nashville '97. It was cold as the night [evening] went on, but the best sound I'd ever heard at a concert, from where we were sitting everything was crystal clear, fabulous.
I've heard Memphis Pyramid show in '99 had good sound, but for us everything was muddy as all get out.

I actually thought the Vanderbilt Stadium (Nashville '97) show was one of the best I've seen. I saw them do FAR AWAY EYES for the first time that night, and the sound was great from where I was sitting...I mean standing.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:24

Frankfurt was a mess. A @#$%& terrible show.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:35

ANYTHING FROM 1978

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:57

From4tilLate
finally somebody mentioned hyde park! far and away the worst I've ever heard the stones. tuning was atrocious!

But Jagger was tremendous.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2009 01:24

"I have heard just about every show that commonly circulates, and the one that sticks in my mind is Paris, Olympia, from the licks tour. They couldnt get anything right. I am still scratching my head why they put it on Four Flicks, but with the zillions of edits they did, it came out about a c-. But if you listen to the uncut audience tape....oh my....they guy I got it from, called it Band of SH@T"

My thought go the 50-sth chick who, before my very eyes, coughed up 800 Euros (= 1040 USD) to enter the Olympia on that fateful 2003 day.
May she find some peace of mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-10 02:43 by dcba.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 10, 2009 01:39

Bimmelzerbott
Soundwise because the roof was closed but not musicwise (listen to the boot) - I hated being there (especially getting a new ticket in the heat outside for hours).

Date: February 10, 2009 02:19

I enjoyed Nashville '97, even tho Ronnie was MIA.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 10, 2009 02:34

"tuning was atrocious!"

Did they not hear they were THAT outta tune?

Date: February 10, 2009 02:56

ablett
"tuning was atrocious!"

Did they not hear they were THAT outta tune?

That's what intrigues me! I'm a fair guitarist, certainly no Keith in his prime, but even I can tune on the fly. It's not THAT hard. But it's like Keith didn't even TRY to do that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 10, 2009 03:37

buffalo7478
I will not judge a concert from a bootleg. Unless you are in the room, you cannot judge. Unmixed, poorly mixed and sterile soundboards are great to collect and to hear the band at a particular time, but no substitute for how they sounded in the space.

It works both ways. I wasnt at Oakland in 1969 or Brussels in 1973, yet I can safely say those were fantastic shows.

Date: February 10, 2009 05:27

I agree with your point on great shows, Gazza. The band can be so good the whole vibe of the gig comes thru, even if the recording is less than great. You can tell the band is on fire in Brussels. Keith and Mick Taylor seem to be at a peak, on the same night.

I just don't want to say a show sucked, when all I have is a (maybe) poor-average recording, and can't really get where the band was musically, or maybe even energy level. I love soundboards because I can hear most of the band well (though not always the case). But I cannot always get a feel for the audience and their energy in response to the band. And after reading and seeing what so many bands (including the Stones) do with overdubs..not sure I'd ever trust an official live release for how a band really sounds live (though some, including J Geils, sounded great live and on official release).

I really hope someone does not come on and say that Brussels 73 was overdubbed (if I'm not mistaken part of a cop I have is from an FM broadcast).

Date: February 10, 2009 09:02

JJHMick
Bimmelzerbott
Soundwise because the roof was closed but not musicwise (listen to the boot) - I hated being there (especially getting a new ticket in the heat outside for hours).

I dunno it. For me it was not only bad because of the sound problems they (obviously) had. It just wasn't right. The whole atmosphere was completely different from any other Stones concert I've been to since 1990. I hated it, and IMO opinion they played like shit, esp. Keith and Ronnie. They were so bad I couldn't believe it. A girl I met hours before the show purchased a FOS ticket for 1,100 Euros. Despite that I'd never pay that much money for any concert I would probably commit suicide after I spent that money for such a amazingly poor show. The Stones should pay them fans for attending shows like these and not the other way round.

Frankfurt 2007 was an assault to human ears.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2009 16:00

"I will not judge a concert from a bootleg. Unless you are in the room, you cannot judge"
Funny comment cos it's PRECISELY the reason people started bying boots in the late 60's : to hear their fav band as they really were, before the in-the-studio overdubs and posh/sterile remixing.
I'll take Atlantic City'89 over Flashpoint any day for example.

With current technologies (DAT/MD & HQ tiny mikes) you get a level of quality never had before if you're a taper. Modern tapes FAITHFULLY reproduce what was played that night. If the Stones sucked, c'mon don't blame the taper!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 10, 2009 16:41

Frankfurt 2007 was an idiotic concert, it was badly organized (roof and ticketchaos), Keith's playing was indiscussible. The crowd was very generous though, the Stones can be happy to have such fans. To me this night was real disappointment.

Date: February 10, 2009 19:32

JJHMick
Turd On The Run
Tantekäthe
I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..). Keith Richards could not be bothered, he delivered a lick here and a hook there, otherwise he was just posing and mugging, and his guitar performance in "Sympathy" (which was the usual bore, btw) was just atrocious. I really wondered what must happen before they finally will be booed off the stage. The average concert goer does not seem to care.

I have to agree, unfortunately. Everything Tantekäthe writes is gospel truth. Cologne 2006 was dreadful. Ronnie was a complete catastrophe. After this show I wanted him fired from the band - he was that foolish and unprofessional and I was that angry and disappointed. I felt like shooting the bastard. Thank God he improved in later shows and even came to save the 2007 leg of the Euro-Bang tour...on that one Keith was usually the culprit...

And Ronnie even admitted it: "I hit rock bottom that night" or something like that. The bootleg proves it, especially in the softer songs: A guitarrist who plays rubbish and Keith who had become a non-playing player, Blondie low in the mix. The Stones: THE guitar band without guitars...

I've been to the Cologne show as well and believe me, this show was still about 157 times better than the mess they delivered in Frankfurt a year later.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 10, 2009 22:35

10/27/06,atlantic city nj, when for the first time in my life the stones stiffed .mick,s voice hurt -pure b.s. .he was saving it for the beacon for sal.one hell of a lousy crappy rainy night that cost a lot of money for the big goose egg

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 11, 2009 00:35

The Greek
10/27/06,atlantic city nj, when for the first time in my life the stones stiffed .mick,s voice hurt -pure b.s. .he was saving it for the beacon for sal.one hell of a lousy crappy rainy night that cost a lot of money for the big goose egg
You should of came back three weeks later. One of the best Stones shows I ever saw. I live near Buffalo, NY. Got up day of the resheduled concert at 4 AM. Drove all day to Atlantic City, My wife and I checked into a hotel, went to the show, went back to the hotel. Then the next morning drove back to Buffalo. Worth every dollar. That was me and my wife on the cover of The Atlantic City Newspaper the next day after the show was postponed talking about how much money we spent. Don't feel bad we met people from California and China that couldn't make it back!

Date: February 11, 2009 01:44

I disagree DCBA

Have you ever seen a show at Rogers Center (formerly Skydome) in Toronto? I have seen the Stones there 4 times, and had friends sitting n other parts of the venue. Each time we came away with different experiences. Depending on where you are (or the taper was) you can hear a very different concert.

The best boot I have heard of the last Stones show in Toronto is a 'matrix' made by Ruby Cat Girl. She did a great job, because her product sounds much better than either of the other sources I have heard, which are thin and echoing. I had great sound where I sat, but had friends in other parts of the arena who couldn't even tell what song the band was playing as the sound was so bad.

Does that mean it was a bad show? Or a different experience for different people?

(One thing I cannot figure out is that for all the gear the band brings, and how many times they have played some venues, the sound can still suck...maybe time to spend less on fireworks and more on speakers, mics and mixing).

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: February 11, 2009 02:49

minneapolis dec '94-----the first half i think the band was half frozen as it was 9 degrees outside and it took them all the way to faraway eyes to finally thaw out----

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home