Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: The Rolling Stones' Worse Concert?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 15, 2008 15:31

based on audio evidence :

Hyde Park
Most of the 1976 tour
Philadelphia 78
the first 2 months of the Bigger Bang tour in 2005 and a few of the European shows in 2007 (Werchter, helsinki)

Basing a review on an edited and remixed live album (Still Life) taken from multiple nights is a bit strange. There are some very ropey shows on that tour, but many absolutely magnificent ones as well - the Hampton telecast was terrific.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 15, 2008 15:52

Well said Gazza. I wrote somewhere before that I didn't like 81/82 either, when I knew it only from the LSTNT movie. But Hampton rules, it is one of their best concerts ever.

And I also agrree with Hyde Park being really bad (but I really like to watch it now and then - it is an interesting document). I never understood, why they released this rather then the fabulous Ladies and Gentlemen. If L a G got the same restoration treatment as Gimme Shelter, it would be the ultimate Stones' video. But Hyde Park?

From the shows I have seen - Prague 2003 was the worst from the musical point of view, but it was the day afer the celebration of Mick's 60th birthday, so the band was obviously tired, but what an atmospere this show had! It was actually great, eventhough Keith f#$%^ed up the BS intro or when Charlie started Midnight Rambler, Keith started Tumbling Dice and so on... But what the hell, I sang Happy Birthday to Mick! So this being "the worst" concert of mine, I can't complain, can I?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-15 15:53 by Happy24.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: August 15, 2008 15:59

Attended:
Hague 98 (show OK, terrible weather)
Twickenham 2 2003 (nosebleed seats, poor sound - tape sounds better but all seems a bit untogether)

Audio:
Hyde Park
1976 - Kiel? (on a VGP release, can't remember without checking) but one of the German shows from May 1976 has the two guitarists playing in a different key to the rest of the band for the last half hour, ouch! Otherwise 76 I generally like, even Knebworth has a lot of charm - great set list etc.
Hampton VA 21/6/78 (Keith, please tune your guitar)
Philadelphia 25/9/81
Helsinki 2007

+ whilst I agree with Gazza's comments about reviewing Still Life (above) just how ropey is the 1966 Got Live album compared to the tremendous EP from the year before?

Posted by: jane tarzan ()
Date: August 15, 2008 16:10

Doxa
jane tarzan
Of all the 15 Stones shows I've seen, only the 2007 Helsinki was bad. Others have been at least good or even fantastic. Helsinki -07 was a disaster. Best has been 2003 in Helsinki. They were full of life and playing soooooo goood.....

You cannot be serious? Helsinki 2003 was the mother of all stadium autopilot shows ever. The starting number "Brown Sugar" was not recognizable until the chorus due to messy Keith ,who not just typically screwed up the intro, but decided to play in a dfferent key (or a different song?) than the others. Ronnie was just clowning, and actually didn't play a note in the fisrts numbers at all. I know, i was next to him, staring his 'work', and wondering shocked aloud that 'how on earth this man can be called a (decent) guitar god?'. Throughout the show the band played without any spark and energy, They sounded so awful, and lifeless, just like some cover band who is not quite familiar with the material. Their warming-up act, ZZ TOP (who were added in the last minute to the list to get the place crowded, and the band I find most boring) was much better, and the crowd seemed to respond much better to them.

After the show I decided that I never attend a Rolling Stones stadium show again (of course, fortunately I couldn't keep the promise.). I forced myself to go to arena show in Glasgow to prove myself that my hero band is not such a farce. I gave them another chance, so to say, or chance the clean the shit taste of my mouth away, left be the Helsinki "performance". And THEY USED IT MIGHTY FINE!!!!

The Helsinki show 2003 is the only time I ever felt like being betrayed by the quality of the music or the performance in the Rolling Stones concert.

- Doxa

...some of us like daughters, some like mothers and some like porridge...There's one for each train!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 15, 2008 16:46

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Out of the ones I've heard on bootleg, I'd go for Edmonton 1997. But you can probably ask somebody who was there, and they'll tell you that it rocked

Bizarre choice, Kent. I've a soundboard of that show (taken from a video feed I think) and its a terrific concert.

Maybe the fact that unmixed soundboards tend to be a bit 'dry' in terms of audience atmosphere detracts from the listening experience, but i distinctly remember that show (the first half of it anyway) as being pretty excellent - with marvellous renditions of 19th Nervous Breakdown and Out of Control

The source I've seen it on is the Salut Edmonton bootleg DVD (The sound is there, but it's muddy and everything sounds uninspired. Add a camera that doesn't move one inch all the way in the back of the stadium). It just goes to show that it's very hard to judge from bootlegs. That's just the worst one I remember seeing. Of course I could hear a good boot of the same show and love every bit of it.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 15, 2008 17:05

JumpingKentFlash
Out of the ones I've heard on bootleg, I'd go for Edmonton 1997. But you can probably ask somebody who was there, and they'll tell you that it rocked

Which bootleg do you have??Edmonton 1997 mono soundboard "Canada Dry" sounds great to me with one of the best ever versions of " Out of Control ".

Date: August 15, 2008 17:10

Silver Dagger
steffiestones
the concert on the still life album

Too right Steff. Still Life? More like No Life. Couldn't stand the 81/82 tour. Everything played too damn fast. So for me the two Wembley 82 shows.

As someone posted on the first page,that isn't a concert but tracks from six or seven different concerts.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 15, 2008 17:12

I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..). Keith Richards could not be bothered, he delivered a lick here and a hook there, otherwise he was just posing and mugging, and his guitar performance in "Sympathy" (which was the usual bore, btw) was just atrocious. I really wondered what must happen before they finally will be booed off the stage. The average concert goer does not seem to care.

Date: August 15, 2008 17:18

I recommend some of the many 1981 soundboards that surfaced a couple of years ago.They are light years ahead of Still Life.Saint Paul 1981,Cedar Falls 1981,Louisville '81,Lexington '81.Just listen to "Let It Bleed" from any of these shows (not Philadelphia or Phoenix as they messed it up at those shows).That's trademark Rolling Stones.Also,Imagination from the last month of the '81 tour was excellent.

Date: August 15, 2008 17:39

Back to the topic,I agree 100% that Cologne 2006 (7-23-'06) was the worst Stones concert in many years.One of the few highlights was "As Tears Go By".Most of the rest of it was a low point for the modern Stones.

Knebworth '76 and Hyde Park '69 had their problems but they also each had their share of good highlights : Knebworth = Wild Horses,Route 66,Hot Stuff etc. / Hyde Park = Mercy Mercy , No Expectations etc.. On the other hand,Philadelphia '78 and Cleveland '78 would be better off to be completely forgotten which is a little strange because many of the other 1978 shows (Detroit,Kentucky etc.) were at the other extreme - well played,excellent performances.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: August 15, 2008 17:40

Happy24
mr edward
RollingStonesFan
The second part of the show in Werchter 2007 was rellay bad...and Paint It Black out of it was a desaster!

And so was Satisfaction. That concert was the first time I was dissapointed at a Stones gig.

Interesting - the videos of SMU and IGC from this show are really great. But it is true that I read some bad reviews of this how before... So it is probably a great work of Hammilton (director)

Well, during the first hour of the show I though: "This must be the greatest Stones-concert ever!" Start Me Up, Shattered...really everything was great. The band was much better than in 2006 in Europe.
BUT then came Keiths part and we saw that he was totaly drunken. His part was very bad and so was the rest of the show. You could feel, how Mick was angry but he couldn't rescue the show.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 15, 2008 17:52

Philly 81
first show...

Posted by: JK ()
Date: August 15, 2008 18:02

JumpingKentFlash

Yes, it rocked. Craaazy Maama....

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 15, 2008 18:10

camper88
I"m surprised that no one's said Altamont,

So they missed a few chords in Helsinki, so Mick was acting mighty strange in Knebworth, so '81 and '82 were a bit lifeless; how many people have to die before it's considered their worst concert?

Great film, bad concert.

Altamont was a tragic event (a bloke was killed!). The bits and pieces of the show that managed to make it to film were actually quite good.

"Worst concert?" can't say that I've seen a show that would fit that category. Have I seen or listened to a Rolling Stones concert where the band or individual in the band had an off night? Without question! However, the show was still very entertaining.

I can remember one show where a nameless member looked rather intoxicated and their musicianship was not at 100% however, the overall experience was quite fun and worth every penny.

CBII

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 15, 2008 18:14

Happy24
Well said Gazza. I wrote somewhere before that I didn't like 81/82 either, when I knew it only from the LSTNT movie. But Hampton rules, it is one of their best concerts ever.

Shee-it! Am I missing something here? My evidence is exactly based on that lousy LSTNT movie. And not liking them much at Wembley in 82 so I never looked beyond that movie. Is Hampton really that good? What are the highlights? Think I'll order a copy immediately in that case so thanks for the tip guys.

Actually while I'm on this thread I don't really collect Stones live gigs after 1978 with the odd exception. What are the best shows on DVD from 81 onwards. I have Chicago with Muddy Waters 81, Brixton 95, Double Door 97, Shepherd's Bush 99, Four Flicks and ABB, MSG 2005 and 02 Arena 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-15 18:27 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 15, 2008 18:14

@ Winnig Ugly and Tantekäthe:

I usually hate to get involved in those best/worst show/song/album/tour discussions but I'll have to comment on the Cologne 2006 show now. Agree that it was not their best show musically with some fvck ups, especially LSTNT and Sympathy, Mick coming in late for Start Me Up, BUT... personally I don't go to see a concert and want to hear every song 100% clean and tidy, that's what records are good for. The band was in a very good mood that evening, Mick talking a lot to the audience, the guitars were loud and they seemed very inspired, just "on" that night. Sloppy performance but loads of energy. A winderful concert experience for me.

Posted by: jane tarzan ()
Date: August 15, 2008 18:34

camper88

...So they missed a few chords in Helsinki, so Mick was acting mighty strange in Knebworth, so '81 and '82 were a bit lifeless...

Agree, but the few chords Keith missed were the only ones he was supposed to play that night...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 15, 2008 18:56

therollingmanu

I usually hate to get involved in those best/worst show/song/album/tour discussions but I'll have to comment on the Cologne 2006 show now. Agree that it was not their best show musically with some fvck ups, especially LSTNT and Sympathy, Mick coming in late for Start Me Up, BUT... personally I don't go to see a concert and want to hear every song 100% clean and tidy, that's what records are good for. The band was in a very good mood that evening, Mick talking a lot to the audience, the guitars were loud and they seemed very inspired, just "on" that night. Sloppy performance but loads of energy. A winderful concert experience for me.
Listen to the bootleg and you will agree with winning ugly, tantekäthe and me...

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:05

JJHMick
therollingmanu

Listen to the bootleg and you will agree with winning ugly, tantekäthe and me...

I own the bootleg. And on what should I agree? All I said is, that I know they fvcked up on a few songs but the crowd was very enthusiastic and that it was a great concert in my opinion.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:09

I agree with schillid. As bad as Philly '78 was, the first show there in '81 was even worse! Some of the mistakes are such whoppers that one could think that they hadn't rehearsed.

Cologne was the Worst!
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:18

To quote Tantekathe: "I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..)."

I remember reading an interview with Ronnie after this show, in which he basically said he was "scared straight" by his performance, which was God-awful according to all accounts.

No one should compare this with Philly 78 or 81 when the tour was just starting, and the guitar players, anyway, played their asses off!!

p.s. I was in Philly for the 78 show, and that performance, visually, anyway, would have blown the roof off anything the Stones have done in the past couple of years...

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:44

Knebworth 76 has a big, big treasure (and I seem to be the only one who "knows" this!) - the Hand of Fate version. It's magic. And If you can't rock me - Get Off of my cloud is also good there.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:51

Ringo
Knebworth 76 has a big, big treasure (and I seem to be the only one who "knows" this!) - the Hand of Fate version. It's magic. And If you can't rock me - Get Off of my cloud is also good there.

That Knebworth version of lets spent the night is really charming, i know its crazy but i like that version.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:59

I love the knebworth show althrought they @#$%& up Lets spend the night together totally-
T think Hyde Park 1969 was really bad...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 15, 2008 20:12

camper88
I"m surprised that no one's said Altamont,

So they missed a few chords in Helsinki, so Mick was acting mighty strange in Knebworth, so '81 and '82 were a bit lifeless; how many people have to die before it's considered their worst concert?

Great film, bad concert.

Don't be so preachy. 30 people weirding out and 300K having a smashin time. And it was the best show of the 1969 tour.

Re: Cologne was the Worst!
Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 15, 2008 20:15

UGot2Rollme
p.s. I was in Philly for the 78 show, and that performance, visually, anyway, would have blown the roof off anything the Stones have done in the past couple of years...

can you describe? I thought that tour was stripped down so that there wasn't much of a visual show...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 15, 2008 20:21

Based on some of the boots I've heard from various tours, I still think the 1975-76 tour they sounded their worst overall - mainly Mick's grunting and yowling for "singing".

I think SFTD has become rote - by the numbers - and way over the top. What worked fantastically in 1989-90 should have been left on that tour. It's too clunky now. It barely does anything and Mick is always over the top with the drama.

I am curious to hear how bad the shows that have been mentioned here are! Are there boots of the first 1981 show and the 2007 Helsinki? Sounds awful but for some reason it's fun to have the screw ups.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 15, 2008 20:24

All but 13 show from 1981 circulate, most in ok soundboard quality.

JR

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: August 15, 2008 20:32

many of the reports here on iorr say werchter last year sucked.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: August 15, 2008 21:15

A short clip of Keith in Helsinki (2007)

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home