Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick's Spontanaeity
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 22, 2011 23:34

I always wonder what he says at the end of Loving Cup. It seems to be a pure ad-lib.

Btw, what a great thread! Thanks,hbwriter.

Date: February 23, 2011 00:13

hbwriter
I just caught a couple in If you Really Want To Be My Friend - other bands might have edited them out--but they're real -- Mick responding to Blue Magic's b/g vox - I swear, his amazing soul is found in those moments; when he just crackles with reaction and instinctive hum, when the music just seems to possess him and take over.
Lord, thank you. Finally someone else who loves that performance. I have always thought of "friend" and "Let it Loose" as a pair. Some of Jagger's best ad libbing and taking it all the way home; in a end rave-up, up against the gospel back-ups. The back and forth on "Friend"..I love it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2011 00:32

i like "friend" - but don't hear any real similarities to "loose." i love blue magic - they had some killer songs back in the day - let the SIDESHOW begin...hurry, hurry....

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 23, 2011 00:41

There is a little screm Mick does near the beginning of the steel guitar solo on "Torn And Frayed" that I just love. It's not very loud and buried in the mix so you need to listen carefully...but it's magical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 01:21 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 23, 2011 01:36

All of " Let it Loose" and " Worried About You". Pure from the gut singing and I'd have to say a lot of spontanaeity.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 23, 2011 05:16

proudmary
I always wonder what he says at the end of Loving Cup. It seems to be a pure ad-lib.

Btw, what a great thread! Thanks,hbwriter.

'Let down your shorts baby...and spill the holy wine....'
That the one I can hear...

Date: February 23, 2011 05:22

Palace Revolution 2000
hbwriter
I just caught a couple in If you Really Want To Be My Friend - other bands might have edited them out--but they're real -- Mick responding to Blue Magic's b/g vox - I swear, his amazing soul is found in those moments; when he just crackles with reaction and instinctive hum, when the music just seems to possess him and take over.
Lord, thank you. Finally someone else who loves that performance. I have always thought of "friend" and "Let it Loose" as a pair. Some of Jagger's best ad libbing and taking it all the way home; in a end rave-up, up against the gospel back-ups. The back and forth on "Friend"..I love it.

I would add Winter to that list. Jagger's Jaggerisms are all over these songs...
I love the sighs at the end of Friend, each on the downbeat, like he's emotionally spent after all those declarations of devotion.
Great thread, people always deny Jagger any sincerity points, but adlibs, real ones, come from the gut.

Posted by: black ()
Date: February 23, 2011 05:34

What about this?

time is on my side 81

Remember, I will always be around
One day you're gonna come back [Incomprehensible]
Do you know that you can shine for me, just screamin' out
Go, go, go

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: February 24, 2011 18:22

that's how strong my love is

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 24, 2011 23:41

hbwriter
The "Whoooooooooooooo" at the end of studio Rocks Off

i'd go with the "oh yeah" at the beginning of Rocks Off

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 25, 2011 00:15

Two other examples from Exile: On Stop Breaking Down, the 'c'mon c'mon' just before the second to the last stanza and the 'one more time' call out before the last one. And on Tumbling Dice, during the outre, he starts to go 'mmmmmmm' when the back-up girls kick in. Very sexy. Also, Winter is one long adlib in the last part of the song. And Hand of Fate is another great one.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: February 25, 2011 01:38

jamesfdouglas
The coda of Fingerprint File is priceless!

Goin Home...

-

yes yes yes...

when he sucks in his teeth all sexy-like on Goin' Home, I am too through...

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 01:40 by stateofshock.

Date: February 25, 2011 01:50

gimmelittledrink
Two other examples from Exile: On Stop Breaking Down, the 'c'mon c'mon' just before the second to the last stanza and the 'one more time' call out before the last one. And on Tumbling Dice, during the outre, he starts to go 'mmmmmmm' when the back-up girls kick in. quote]

Good ones...
what about in Can't You Hear Me Knocking, that 'Yeah' right as Charlie kicks in.....
or speaking of sexy, the way he says 'Alright....' at the end of the verses in Bitch.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 25, 2011 01:54

black
What about this?

time is on my side 81

Remember, I will always be around
One day you're gonna come back [Incomprehensible]
Do you know that you can shine for me, just screamin' out
Go, go, go

You're gonna be comin' back walkin' through that certain door is how it sounds to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 01:55 by skipstone.

Date: February 25, 2011 10:30

skipstone
... through that certain door is how it sounds to me.

...'same old door'??!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: February 25, 2011 11:10

MississippiBullfrog
skipstone
... through that certain door is how it sounds to me.

...'same old door'??!

"same door"
No "old".

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 13:53

yes! THAT'S what make mick unique!

The ending part of Tumbling Dice live version for example!

the mick casual singing: "come little closer yah, now gimme little help nah yaaah thats what u gotta do, yah got to, gotta keep on rolling, sweet beibe sweet darlin' na yahyah etc..

Or the ending part of "Through the lonely nights"
"sometimes beibeahh i wanna cry cry cry, nahnahnah"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 25, 2011 14:42

hbwriter
I don't think any other singer in history has created more little bits of spontaneous magic on record simply by reacting to the music in the moment. The little whoops, hollers, yelps, laughs, etc. that Mick has peppered so many recordings with, for me, give those Stones records an element that make them more real and timeless. The end of Brown Sugar, the reaction to Clayton in Gimme Shelter--any favorites of yours you'd care to call out?

Been listen to Van the Man?smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 25, 2011 14:59

While I agree with many of the examples I always that he sounded a bit forced compared to Peter Tosh when they ad lib at the end of you gotta walk

How far you been walkin' now about hundred miles
You still got some more to walk
I know, I got a little more to go

I'm gettin' kind of tired but I got to keep on walkin'
I'm walkin' barefoot
You've got to walk and don't look back

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: February 25, 2011 15:23

His singing and adlibs in Tops and No Use in Crying is the sh&t too!!

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 25, 2011 15:55

"...there I go now. coming home now baby, yeah there I go now, coming home now baby. Yeah I'm coming home 'cos I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road, on down the road, on down the road, yeah, yeah..."

Date: February 25, 2011 16:04

..."cry on, baby..." (to Mick Taylor, right before the solo for Love in Vain, from "L&G" )

..."play it, Keith!" (to Keith - obviously; right before the solo for Little by Little, debut album)

(I hope I quote him correctly, cause it's a bit from the top of my head here... been a while since I heared both pieces, and I can't check it from where I am right now.)

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2011 18:50

Come On
hbwriter
I don't think any other singer in history has created more little bits of spontaneous magic on record simply by reacting to the music in the moment. The little whoops, hollers, yelps, laughs, etc. that Mick has peppered so many recordings with, for me, give those Stones records an element that make them more real and timeless. The end of Brown Sugar, the reaction to Clayton in Gimme Shelter--any favorites of yours you'd care to call out?

good call

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:06

I'm so glad someone else feels this way about this particular song . I've always felt that Jaggers vocal was soulful and heartfelt . Could he be singing about Keith possibly . It's very direct and when Keith drops in his background vocal just before that tasty lead from Taylor just shoots me down .

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:09

StonesTod
Come On
hbwriter

good call

Van's a fine singer and he's done a handful of important(ish) songs, but please ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 19:11 by texas fan.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:10

In case you were wondering which song I'm talking about it's If You Really Want To Be Ma Friend ,,

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home