Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick's Spontanaeity
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 3, 2008 18:07

get off my cloud was a precursor i think of what was to come--some of the smiles and inflections just brought it to life

Date: August 6, 2008 05:33

any more??

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 6, 2008 05:43

On "Hey Negrita" someone's doing a "come on boy" in the background, but I'm not sure it's Mick?

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 05:53

Mr Jimmy
Even on recent recordings! I love the "Ahhhh" at the beginning of Shattered on SAL! It shows he's inspired.

You nailed it - if I had to pick just 1 from SAL, then that is it for sure! You just know when Mick belts that spine tingler "Ahhh" out, you are gonna be in for one killer version of a live Shattered!

He has so many on every album really when you listen to them, which is one of the main reasons why they are & he is the greatest ever!

Definately in my top 2 or 3 reasons as to why the Stones are my favourite ever & what makes them the greatest ever.

It's what Mick adds & brings to each song /album.

Mick Spontaniety = Unmatched Brilliance.

Date: August 6, 2008 08:47

Silver--beautifully phrased

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 09:58

Cheers "HB".

Your thread opener is so on the money.

We're certainly on the same page on this subject.

I could dead set make a list of a Mick moment from virtually every song he does - I have had this exact discussion with my other Stones fiends many times & we do agreee on this subject overwhelmingly.

I might have to pick out my 3 or 4 faves & get back to you on this.

It would be a tough choice for me, but maybe this weekend I can devote some Stones downtime to nailing my more favourite Mick moments & get back to you.

One thing is for sure, it will be a lot of fun to do this while enjoying a lot of chilled beer!

Here's 1 that comes to mind straight away. The last 30 seconds / 1 minute of "You Got Me Rocking" - I just love his outro where he "Yeahh's & growls & come on's & can't stop me's...." his way right to the end while that mighty riff is being played to the death by Keith mixed in amongst Ronnies slide & Charlie's echoing drums - ABSOLUTELY SUPREME!!!! But again, it's Mick who puts the icing on the ending of that one. No other singer in history thinks of stuff like that, ever or could even try to have a go at it!!!

Mick owns the copyright & all the others just wish.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 6, 2008 11:51

I'd mention the break in "Sex Drive", where there's a stop, a growl by Mick, and a FANTASTIC snare drum shot by Charlie... and all the outro following makes you want to dance your ass off...!!!! But yes, there are so many other examples, like "Love Is Strong"'s outro, the one in "Gunface" (so aggressive!)...

I think only James Brown could match Mick in such stuff!!!!!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 6, 2008 12:09

What about his performance during "That's How Strong My Love Is" at Cirkus, Stockholm 2003... Screaming, begging, crying, whispering. Everyone listening - and watching - in awe. I've seen him perform it several times - but this one was amazing. Don't know why his emotions suddenly took him to an artistic height.
If you haven't got the boot from that show - go get it!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 6, 2008 15:37

I remember reading a "Dust Brothers" interview at the time of B to B.
It was commented that Mick's outrageous breathing is one of the things that gives his vocals impact and makes them so unique.

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: August 6, 2008 16:47

The end of I Got the Blues-inspired emotional screaming with impeccable timing and phrasing.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 6, 2008 18:35

Regarding Mick's live performance spontenaeity (or lack thereof). This observation actually is from my mother who took me & my 2 brothers and some friends and another mom to see the Stones at the Spectrum in Philly in 1969.

As we drove home after the show, We were all excited by what we had just seen and heard and we couldn't stop talking. Particularly Mick Jagger getting us so worked up and scared when he crouched down and removed his belt and --- WHAM ! -- smacked the stage as the entire band blasted us.

A few days or weeks later, me mum was reading the newspaper article reviewing a different Stones show in another city. When she read the part about Midnight Rambler... how Mick had removed his belt and crouched down and hit the stage. That's when Mom pointed out the un-spontenaeity... the careful choreograohy that MJ has honed.

Mom was right. Again.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: August 6, 2008 19:04

Great thread!

Personal faves are:
1. "aaah, eh hehey" at the top of Stray Cat Blues
2. "who's listenin? Ah, I don't really know" + all the strangulated whelps & sensual whispers etc throughout Fingerprint File
3. the "ow ow ow ow ow"s at the end of Monkey Man & the classic part where it sounds (to me) like he's puking: "I'm a monkeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyaaaaggghhhhh!"

Also the whole scat singing a la Van Morrison on Winter.

Date: August 6, 2008 19:08

Schillid--all respect to your mom, but come on smiling smiley We're talking about vocal stylings, not the stagecraft--they put on a "show" remember? And shows have certain routines.

Date: August 6, 2008 19:20

Show some respect winking smiley ! Although it wouldn't be that uncommon today, how many mothers took the kids to see the Rolling Stones back then?

Yes I know this thread is about vocal styling ...
The title of "spontanaeity" made me remember that.

Date: August 6, 2008 19:25

Schillid--my bad in not acknowledging--your mom broke the mold back then for sure--well done smiling smiley

Date: August 6, 2008 19:27

All is forgiven.
Have some nice chicken soup.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 20:11

i wonder that nobody has mentioned here Goin' Home. That's Jagger at his best.

Date: August 6, 2008 23:43

Hock--that is a great one

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 6, 2008 23:51

hockenheim95
i wonder that nobody has mentioned here Goin' Home. That's Jagger at his best.

Check the 4th post of the thread my friend.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: August 7, 2008 17:04

And what about all that great background on sweet virginia during the sax break?

Date: August 7, 2008 17:17

The punk-ish attitude in If You Can't Rock Me.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 7, 2008 17:36

micks voice riffs in CYHMK studio version are classic

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 7, 2008 20:50

the Mick throwing a bit of Hey Jude into SFtD at Baltimore in 69 deserves a mention -
now that was some kind of wild impassioned outburst :E

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:11

Ah, the outro on Let It Bleed - when my band does that I really nail those! People flip out - it sounds just like the record! I tend to sound like Jagger when I sing so it's fun doing Stones tunes...but that one, he really lets it go and it's a vein bulging face popping sweat dripping lung exhuasting blast!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:15

I agree skipstone, singing like Mick is LOTS of fun!
People love when I do it (unless they're iorr.org's army of Powergoat-haters!)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 22:12

Towards the end of Street Fightin' Man from a Brussels Affair. The band is on fire and Mick lets out this scream.....

Date: August 8, 2008 08:55

Tops--that shriek is a favorite of mine too

and how about what he does on the studio version of bitch during the breaks?

Date: August 8, 2008 17:08

on the video i tossed together, more of Mick's spontaneous brilliance...

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 8, 2008 19:01

The all-time live classic - Midnight rambler from Brussels 1973 has some incredible spontaneous singing, especially the repeated 'Come on - AWWWW!' followed by 'A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a'.
It's never been repeated like that although there are other great live versions of that song.

Date: August 9, 2008 17:13

Yes--and Brussels is full of moments

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home