Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Mick's Spontanaeity
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: August 9, 2008 17:50

"Hey, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!"....I'll take you to the tops!

aww sugar...............

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 9, 2008 20:04

This is a GREAT thread. HBWriter, kudos to you for starting it. Mick's spontaneity is indeed a major element of what makes the Stones' music so startlingly alive and magical. Mick's coos and shrieks and moans and growls and whispers and pleas and groans and shouts and whoops and screams and sobs and sighs add immeasurably to the incredible alchemy that makes the Stones better than anybody else, yet people rarely talk about this.

All of these sound effects are the aural equivalent of the countless visual delights (dance moves, facial expressions, etc) that Mick give us when he is performing. Even though Mick's musical judgement can become questionable ("Primitive Cool", anyone?), nobody can even approach his genius as a PERFORMER. I don't mean to fawn, but we are blessed to be living when the greatest performer EVER (past, present, or future) walks among us.

Drew

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 9, 2008 20:50

Drew--you nailed this, better said than I could have put it--if that's fawning, then fawn on

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2008 00:06

All of Under The Radar but esp The HUH! at 1.20 ....

And the complete control of....

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All alooooooong
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gggggggonnnne?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 10, 2008 00:08

the last part of ''let it loose''smileys with beer

Date: August 10, 2008 00:28

Jump On Top Of Me.....The Storm....Im' Gonna Drive ....

...........................................................Mick Jagger 1994

ROCKMAN

Date: August 10, 2008 02:29

rooster--agree--exile may be the example, as an album, of mick's soulful ad lib abilities

Date: August 10, 2008 02:29

On IOR--I love that "you know" before "people tell me you are a vulture"

Date: August 10, 2008 19:18

and of course--winter--it just soars

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 10, 2008 19:44

Mick says "like" a lot in that B-side quip.

Like, you know?

Date: August 11, 2008 16:33

like, really?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2008 18:10

Well, like, actually, like yes. Like, more so than ever like.

Date: August 15, 2008 23:01

Just heard Bitch on the radio--the ad libs are on beautiful display

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: August 16, 2008 17:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-23 20:51 by parislocksmith.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 16, 2008 20:57

<...singing along to Taylors guitar.> Yes, I agree.

I am always impressed with Jagger's stage awareness during this era and how connected he was with Taylor's playing. It started very early in the '69 tour (e.g., LIV) and continued to the end. Way more than Keith he coaxed, prodded, encouraged, praised and prompted Taylor and was generally connected to the music through Taylor's playing. Pick any show and I can point to numerous examples of something he says that coincides with something Taylor plays. I have not felt that keen Jagger/band connection in ther post Taylor era. It is simply a different band.

Listen to the Brussels TD, particularly the closing minutes. Is everything Jagger says about Taylor? "Keep on doin' that!" It's Jagger and Taylor that drive that brilliant performance to its thrilling close. I wonder how that feels on stage. Do they know when they knock off one of the great performances in band history?

Posted by: Neil F ()
Date: August 16, 2008 21:36

I've always liked the end of Monkey Man...I'm a monkey, man (sounds like he is purging is insides). MMMMmmmonkey Mann...

Date: August 16, 2008 21:39

PMK--what a terrific post--

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 19, 2008 19:06

Speaking of that Brussels performance of TD...I've been thinning out my Stones recordings to clear room on the shelf, removing duplicates and poorer versions, keeping best sources, stuff like that. I have so many versions of the Brussels/Wembley songs! The best recording of that song that I know of is the Nasty Remixes (perhaps also called Nasty Music Remastered). The test is simple: Listen to Taylor's guitar during the closing instrumental. It is more prominent in the mix than on other recordings, but when Taylor joins Keith and plays the well known closing phrase between the second and third performance of that phrase Taylor joins them with a wonderful run of linking notes. A pure spontaneous skillful Taylor touch. If you can clearly hear those notes, you have the best sounding version of that song (and probably of the rest of the songs as well).

And to stay on topic here, listen to Jagger as well. Is he "into" that performance or what?

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 20, 2008 15:00

Nobody has mentioned his growling and yelling at the end of "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" so far, which imho is surpassed only by his performance on "Let It Bleed".

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 20, 2008 23:40

Laugh I Nearly Died has some great stuff from Mick. the way he stetches out "Laugh I nearly di-i-i-i-i-i-i-e-e-d" Its a side to him we haven't heard since Tatoo You (second half).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 23:41 by ryanpow.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 21, 2008 07:32

'81 Boulder, CO. Folsom Field is'nt as big as other stadiums and they don't have the big colorful screens that cover the speakers. Stage right, in the middle of Mick's walkway is some kinda cargo rope/jungle gym type thing hanging up & during one song Jagger climbed up it & then stuck his legs thru the ropes & hung upside down! Roadies ran on stage worried he might fall but of course he had no trouble with the contraption. I saw both shows and he didn't touch the ropes the other one. It seemed completely spontanious and it was fantastic.

Date: August 23, 2008 22:49

physical spontaneity as well smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2008 02:27

thumbprint
'81 Boulder, CO. Folsom Field is'nt as big as other stadiums and they don't have the big colorful screens that cover the speakers. Stage right, in the middle of Mick's walkway is some kinda cargo rope/jungle gym type thing hanging up & during one song Jagger climbed up it & then stuck his legs thru the ropes & hung upside down! Roadies ran on stage worried he might fall but of course he had no trouble with the contraption. I saw both shows and he didn't touch the ropes the other one. It seemed completely spontanious and it was fantastic.

do you remember what song it was during? It would be interesting to know.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 24, 2008 03:09

Thanks for asking. I really don't remember, but it may have been YCAGWYW. It was during a long instrumental break. I was wondering if anyone else remembers this? Was it the 1st or 2nd show? Wasn't it CLASSIC? I was also wondering if there were any other shows that year in stadiums when they did'nt have the big screens up over the speakers? That was a big part of that tours identity, even making the cover of Still Life. Anyone?

Date: August 24, 2008 03:29

YCAGWYW is a good guess. On that song and Beast Of Burden at the Hampton show he goes up on the air-lift thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-24 03:29 by ryanpow.

Date: August 24, 2008 06:44

Mick's helpin' vocals on Peter Wolf's Nothing But The Wheel...Sounds like it fell of second side of EXILE ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 24, 2008 20:49

.....i really like it when Mick does country and on Nothing But The Wheel I LOVE his back up vocal...a true gem that is lost on millions.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 28, 2008 07:42

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Slave (unless I missed it)...What is he saying at the break? It sounds like "go bo diddley go". It is so cool. It seems like this would be a simple one to play live and would make good use of the back-up vocalists.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 28, 2008 10:01

Paint it, black.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 28, 2008 12:58

"Dance, Dance Little Sssssister..."

And his falsetto "oohh aahhs" in Back To Zero (a most forgettable effort otherwise).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-28 13:04 by Greenblues.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home