Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Which was cooler, the Stones on 5th Ave. or the Beatles on the roof?
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 11:05

As a huge fan of both The Beatles and The Stones, I say The Beatles - I was born after The Beatles split up, so just the thought of being a part of any Beatles's gig is more exciting than anything else (well, almost :-). And as others pointed out - it is a performance from a period when they hadn't toured, they played new music...there are many reasons.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 11:11

As a big fan of both bands, just one song vs. the last live show of a group with several great new songs. The Beatles are giving a glimpse of what would have been if McCartney's dream came to fruition. There was a really cool thread a while back imagining a '69 or '70 Beatles set list. Imagine that, well the Roof Top showed what it would have been. Great rootsy rock.
And then fast forward and imagine the energy and hype in Manhattan with The Stones blasting Brown Sugar through the streets. Whew, so was anyone there? Any of you NYC natives catch a glimpse or heard a hint of it? Tell the stories man!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 8, 2012 16:49

Naturalust
shortfatfanny

by Ronnie Wood

wow that is GREAT artwork! Now Ronnie has finally found his callin' in this life....

sorry, i don't get it - ronnie, as a painter, is terrible, imo. way too 'busy'

To answer the question - The Beatles rooftop was far 'cooler' than the Stones 5th ave. For the simple reason that theirs came first, and the Stones felt the need to try and trump it (not saying they didn't trump it in terms of a show, but as far as 'coolness' goes, you got to give that to the band w/ that came up w/ the wacky idea first).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 16:52 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 8, 2012 19:42

Too each their own I guess. I like the painting for the very reason it is busy. Lots to look at. Good image from afar and detail to keep you interested for a long time. But art appreciatioon is certainly a personal thing and I respect your opinion.

First way probably Jerry Lee Lewis then, No? That must have predated the Beatles.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 19:42 by Naturalust.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 8, 2012 20:00

Without a doubt !
For me The Stones live on the flatbed truck in New York, 5th Avenue .

Because that's one of the 1st article /review I read about the Stones, in a French magazine called " L'Express" nb 1255 when I was 14.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 8, 2012 20:59

Beatles on the roof.

Woody' s art is cool. Love to have some. Very talented guy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 8, 2012 22:34

LeonidP
Naturalust
shortfatfanny

by Ronnie Wood

wow that is GREAT artwork! Now Ronnie has finally found his callin' in this life....

To answer the question - The Beatles rooftop was far 'cooler' than the Stones 5th ave. For the simple reason that theirs came first, and the Stones felt the need to try and trump it (not saying they didn't trump it in terms of a show, but as far as 'coolness' goes, you got to give that to the band w/ that came up w/ the wacky idea first).

Great painting.

and I have to say Leonid, I dont think the Beatles were any concern of the Stones when they pulled of the truck concert. So they weren't trumping anybody

Date: April 9, 2012 03:35

Munichhilton
Great painting.

Really? Personally I'd be embarrassed to own such a piece - but I guess as Naturalust said, to each his own.

Munichhilton
and I have to say Leonid, I dont think the Beatles were any concern of the Stones when they pulled of the truck concert. So they weren't trumping anybody

I'm 100% certain that the Beatles were in the Stones thoughts when they did their stunt.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: April 9, 2012 03:47

LeonidP

I'm 100% certain that the Beatles were in the Stones thoughts when they did their stunt.

No, the idea came from New Orleans where jazz bands does this from time to time...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 9, 2012 04:11

A flatbed truck driving down 5th Ave, come on! The Beatles couldn't have pulled that off.

I dig the Beatles. They are, to me, bubblegum though.

Date: April 9, 2012 04:25

Steen G
LeonidP

No, the idea came from New Orleans where jazz bands does this from time to time...

No, the idea was to do something wacky like the Beatles did - clearly and documented, in several books on stones (including Bill's, I believe)

Date: April 9, 2012 04:49

MingSubu
A flatbed truck driving down 5th Ave, come on! The Beatles couldn't have pulled that off.

The fact you say they are bubblegum shows that in fact you don't actually "dig" The Beatles and that you don't get them as well. They couldn't have pulled off the truck scene, mostly because the truck would have been overrun by crazy fans and flipped over.

Date: April 9, 2012 05:09

Don' think the Beatles and Stones episodes are very related. The Stones did this very intentional, as a promo stunt for upcoming tour. It was basically a press conference on one of the busiest most central avenues on the planet, with journalists in waiting.
The Beatles really just wanted to play a gig; it was an open ended affair. had they not been shut down they'd kept going.

Now someone who flatout aped BOTH of them is U2. Played a flatbed truck set in NYC, AND on a rooftop gig in LA.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 9, 2012 05:28

My write-in....

one if by land....

Date: April 9, 2012 05:36

whitem8
MingSubu

The fact you say they are bubblegum shows that in fact you don't actually "dig" The Beatles and that you don't get them as well. They couldn't have pulled off the truck scene, mostly because the truck would have been overrun by crazy fans and flipped over.

Agreed, certainly they could have pulled it off. I thought of saying something too, but some comments are so absurd that they're not really worth responding to.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 9, 2012 06:16

whitem8
MingSubu

In fact? What jibber-jabber.

Relax, I know you were insulted by my opinion, but hey you seem like an ok person. I'll let you slide.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 9, 2012 06:32

da stones

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: April 9, 2012 09:26

The only way the Beatles could have toped flat bed truck is if they would have fallen off the roof.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 9, 2012 17:48

whitem8
MingSubu

Ha

Posted by: jimmyjo ()
Date: April 10, 2012 00:34

Jefferson Airplane gave the first rooftop concert, Godard filmed that. It was greater than the Stones on 5th Ave or the beatles on the abbeyroad roof smiling smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 10, 2012 00:52

Britney
I'll have to check the weatherreport for both events...

According to this website I found, the average temperature in London for Jan 1969 was 6.4 C (43 degrees F). The highest that month was 13 C (55 degrees F).

Date: April 10, 2012 03:00

jimmyjo
Jefferson Airplane gave the first rooftop concert, Godard filmed that. It was greater than the Stones on 5th Ave or the beatles on the abbeyroad roof smiling smiley

It wasn't on the roof of Abbey Road, but on the roof of their Apple office.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 10, 2012 04:45

LeonidP
Naturalust
shortfatfanny

by Ronnie Wood

Maybe but look at Mick Jagger in the painting. Damn he looks damn cool, cooler than life, like he seems to be, and sexy as hell. I'm straight as an arrow but that representation of Mick is sweet and beautiful even compared to paintings of fine ladies. Androgonous as ever and I believe he captured it well.

Importantly, all the other guys appear are dead still and dreaming with Mick pumping the vibe with his pose. You just know the music they were playing that instant was superb. Muse (Mick) musing with a passion and just driving Creativity (Keith) while cultivating Melody (Ronnie) and Rhythm (Charlie) in the process.... or something like that.... peace

Date: April 10, 2012 10:45

Stones. No doubt.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 10, 2012 18:23

jimmyjo
Jefferson Airplane gave the first rooftop concert,
Buddy Holly And The Crickets played on a rooftop years before. And someone probably did it before them, as well.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 10, 2012 22:29

The Beatles...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: April 12, 2012 23:51

"Which was cooler, the Stones on 5th Ave. or the Beatles on the roof?"

A cat on a hot tin roof.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2012 03:03

GumbootCloggeroo
jimmyjo
Jefferson Airplane gave the first rooftop concert,
Buddy Holly And The Crickets played on a rooftop years before. And someone probably did it before them, as well.

Julius Caesar started it all...that guy was a rock star!

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: April 13, 2012 03:22

The rooftop. The Beatles always seemed to be a notch above the Stones in just about everything they did.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2012 00:42

Come On
The Beatles...

Bobby Darin

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1561
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home