Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Gas price and next Stones tour
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 8, 2008 05:53

Not to be political but thats what happens when two big oil guys get their hands on the power.

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: July 8, 2008 07:09

My problem is that I just LOVE driving and listening to the Stones. I feel deprived of that special pleasure.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 8, 2008 14:04

Claiming only the liberals care about the envoronment is a bit far fetched - especially the day after president Bush signed the G8-deal, where they agree to reduce carbon emission by 50 % before 2050...
I can say quite a few things about pres. Bush. Liberal is not one of them, though.
The whining about gas prices is a bit petty. The environment's worth a lot more than 60 bucks a week in gas prices... How about an electric car? And if you think BMWs are environmentally friendly... Try the hybrid - Toyota Prius - or other models.
Just stop the whining. You put yourselves in this position. Act smarter this time. Now - what are you going to do???

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 9, 2008 02:54

WOW! And I thought American mass transit really sucks!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 9, 2008 04:04

largelingerie
My problem is that I just LOVE driving and listening to the Stones. I feel deprived of that special pleasure.

You can always buy a moped and an ipod. You will save tons of money on gas lol.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 9, 2008 04:20

maybe the stones could give a gas voucher with each ticket purchase like the car companies are doing with auto purchases

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 9, 2008 04:31

Edith Grove
WOW! And I thought American mass transit really sucks!

I sent a friend of mine who lives in Japan the youtube video. He said this situation is very rare. He also stated that the subways, overall where much more crowded when he lived in Germany, a little difficult for me to believe.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 9, 2008 05:58

.... relax, put the your air conditioning on if you have one, you might have a head-on three blocks away, unless of course you run out of gas before hand,,,,, go out in style... some of ya are talking like its the latest invention of expensive comfort. put a 7-11 ice crusher on the dash board if your that tight.......

... by the way, there are many envirenments in the states where stickin' a hole in the ground and bringing up black gold to market is not very expensive, easy to do, and can be done within a month easily... the appalachian area for one has oil fields of 7-800 ft deep on up, , in drill terms, those are shallow wells where a simple old mack truck 24 foot rig with 6" casing will make you well (no pum intended) for your life time. leasing the land is simple, for all those relatively poor people up in those darn hills have been made very well off with royalities . im talking, penn. tenn., west virginia, kentucky, ohio, down in georgia, and the likes, all around.. not even discussing all the other states with ample oil fields. a couple of you posters are from down that way, , talk to those farmers in the hills with dinosaur pumps in the middle of there corn fields, who leased there land back in 70s-80s when the tax incentives where there to 'wild cat'.... your probably gonna see many of americas' wells un-capped soon. they were capped cause it was so much cheaper to by over seas, simple eco math for the benefit of the usa..... . ....... one more comment, if ya come across one of those old wishin' wells from the late 1800s, throw some change in, someone will come by and scoop it out that could really use it..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-09 06:02 by soundcheck.

Date: July 9, 2008 12:48

soundcheck
... by the way, there are many envirenments in the states where stickin' a hole in the ground and bringing up black gold to market is not very expensive, easy to do, and can be done within a month easily... the appalachian area for one has oil fields of 7-800 ft deep on up, , in drill terms, those are shallow wells where a simple old mack truck 24 foot rig with 6" casing will make you well (no pum intended) for your life time. leasing the land is simple, for all those relatively poor people up in those darn hills have been made very well off with royalities . im talking, penn. tenn., west virginia, kentucky, ohio, down in georgia, and the likes, all around.. not even discussing all the other states with ample oil fields. a couple of you posters are from down that way, , talk to those farmers in the hills with dinosaur pumps in the middle of there corn fields, who leased there land back in 70s-80s when the tax incentives where there to 'wild cat'.... your probably gonna see many of americas' wells un-capped soon. they were capped cause it was so much cheaper to by over seas, simple eco math for the benefit of the usa..... . ....... one more comment, if ya come across one of those old wishin' wells from the late 1800s, throw some change in, someone will come by and scoop it out that could really use it..............

Come and listen to the story 'bout a man named Jed,
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed
tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 9, 2008 17:20

Just stop the whining. You put yourselves in this position. Act smarter this time. Now - what are you going to do???[/quote]
The average American that has no more power than the vote(and the last two elections brings questions to that) did not put themselves in this position-the leadership has. If Reagan had not immediately reversed the Carter energy policies after taking over maybe we wouldnt be in this mess. To blame it on people who are driving ten year old vehicles because thats all they can afford and live week to week shows an enormous amount of ignorance of real life for working Americans(but then Bush hasnt any idea of the real world either).

Date: July 9, 2008 19:45

scottkeef
Just stop the whining. You put yourselves in this position. Act smarter this time. Now - what are you going to do???
The average American that has no more power than the vote(and the last two elections brings questions to that) did not put themselves in this position-the leadership has. If Reagan had not immediately reversed the Carter energy policies after taking over maybe we wouldnt be in this mess. To blame it on people who are driving ten year old vehicles because thats all they can afford and live week to week shows an enormous amount of ignorance of real life for working Americans(but then Bush hasnt any idea of the real world either).[/quote]

man you are out of touch. there are many american families that have one car per person! most americans drive everywhere for anything.... americans pay less for gas than most any country (only countries where people pay less i think are places live venezuela which have a lot of oil and basically subsidize it)...

you don't think people have the power to consume a bit less gas???

this argument about the "all they can afford.." is a bit tired.. there are plenty of americans driving SUVs out there who can afford to buy a more fuel efficient car...you make it sound like the US is some develping country where people live on 430 dollars a year.. we know thats not the case...

bottom line: americans tend to look at cheap gas as some sort of right much like owning a gun (another stupidity)...i have had friends that couldn't have cared less about their SUVs fuel inefficiency.. what? they are not responsible??

to just blame the "government" is silly... as someone said "people have the governments they deserve".. the politicians dont' come from mars and ultimately people are responsible for their actions..

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 9, 2008 21:24

A friend of mine has a friend (he recently died) who had a band and wrote a hilarious song called Vote Like A Fag. It's really funny.

Voting. YAWN. When I yawn at the dentist it doesn't matter. But voting is such a joke. "Oh it's important." No it's not. It's a moot point.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2008 21:27

As Billy Connolly put it - "Dont vote - it only encourages them".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-09 21:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: July 9, 2008 21:44

To get back to the original question, NASCAR fans in the USA are as fanatical as Stones are fans around the world. Michigan Int'l Speedway has sold out 300,000 seats, 4 times a year, going back many years. The last race in June had about 120,000 people. That drop is directly related to gas prices. Even thousands who had bought (expensive) tickets opted to stay home instead of burning up expensive gas to get there. So I think it will have an effect on trips to any future Stones concerts.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 10, 2008 00:48

SCOTTKEEF, I knew I really liked you, deep down! How is it that when YOU say what I say it's OK! You're not accused of being just another Bush hater! Yes, I hate Bush but with DAMN GOOD REASONS! Not just because he's Republican, but because he's ruined this country on all levels.Frank, in the 70's the oil crisis was short-lived, in this case it IS all about Bush greed and Bush making his buddies billionaires. End of story. You can say all you want that Americans need to do this,and we need to do that, and we need to try to solve our energy woes! I say yes to part of that but BULLSHIT To most of the pointing of fingers at the poor folks caught in the middle....like Scottkeef said! And he said it well! Many of those squeezed the hardest are not able to buy food let alone change the course of history and the energy situation. Get real and stop blaming those who have few choices! Place blame where it belongs, with the fat cats who are getting fatter by the minute. For those that think that's ok, I say you must be either wealthy or living in Wonderland.

Date: July 10, 2008 01:16

Yes, we do have a meeting of the minds here, mickschix. And to stoned in washington dc. Yessir I do believe people have the power to consume a bit less gas. I know myself and all my friends are! With minimum wage barely amounting to poverty level income for families, people driving SUVs are not even in the category I'm talking about. They're well off!! I have a sneaking suspicion what side of the economic fence you fall on by your comments and no, I dont think its a bad thing to be financially succesful. But all the points you made are as old and tired Republican excuses as you accuse me of having in favor of the lower rung of society. Contrary to right wing beliefs, poor people are not always that way because they choose to be or are lacking in intelligence or disire to better themselves and give their children a better life.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 10, 2008 02:32

47 million americans don´t have health insurance, and God knows how many people that are homeless etc, etc. Is´nt that a bigger problem than fuelprices? I really don´t get it, americans pay a fourth of what we pay here in Europe for gas, and some make it sound like the whole US nation is going under because of this fact.
I don´t ask this with the intention of p*ssing someone off, that is absolutely not my intention. But I just don´t get it.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: July 10, 2008 02:41

scottkeef
Yes, we do have a meeting of the minds here, mickschix. And to stoned in washington dc. Yessir I do believe people have the power to consume a bit less gas. I know myself and all my friends are! With minimum wage barely amounting to poverty level income for families, people driving SUVs are not even in the category I'm talking about. They're well off!! I have a sneaking suspicion what side of the economic fence you fall on by your comments and no, I dont think its a bad thing to be financially succesful. But all the points you made are as old and tired Republican excuses as you accuse me of having in favor of the lower rung of society. Contrary to right wing beliefs, poor people are not always that way because they choose to be or are lacking in intelligence or disire to better themselves and give their children a better life.

ha ha i'm being called a rich rightwinger! this is classic stuff. you could not be MORE wrong on EVERYTHING!

who said anything even approaching right wing beliefs (other than you!)?

all i'm saying is people in the US drive far more than people anywhere else, own far more cars on average, and pay far less for gas! and have one of the highest average incomes..

these are facts and your attempts to divide people up along right wing/left wing lines.. THATS WHATS TIRED MY FRIEND.. you ought to listen a bit more to your candidate Barack Obama instead of just regurtitating this tired truthiness..

Date: July 10, 2008 02:49

mickijaggeroo
47 million americans don´t have health insurance, and God knows how many people that are homeless etc, etc. Is´nt that a bigger problem than fuelprices? I really don´t get it, americans pay a fourth of what we pay here in Europe for gas, and some make it sound like the whole US nation is going under because of this fact.
I don´t ask this with the intention of p*ssing someone off, that is absolutely not my intention. But I just don´t get it.

not to americans.. to americans the right to cheap gas and being able to drive 600 miles to the beach on weekends is a godgiven right much like owning assault rifles..THATS what americans want.. cheap gas...

health care on the other hand.. not so much.. the right to health care- you see- to most americans is communism...we can't have that communism here in america my friend..

i think people whining about gas prices is asinine .. we still pay less than most any country.. the problem isn't the price of gas but the fact that in the US we have organized our lifestyles in such a way that we drive way too @#$%& much... there is no other country in the world where large amounts of people regularly drive distances such as Washington DC - Miami... thats the problem... there's no other country in the world were people regularly commute to work 2 hours each! thats the problem..

people need to wise up and blaming the government or the "fat cats" is just silly.. can govt do something to encourage changes in lifestyle? sure of course they can and they are going to do that but americans need to just realize that the days of being in your car HOURS of each day are over..its time do be a little smarter.. govt will hopefully enact some policies to incentivize changes in behavior..

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 10, 2008 03:22

Jesus H. Christmas Debra try and get some perspective. Most people in this thread were well behaved until you started your Bush bashing. How long has Bush been in office? Nearly eight years my dear. How long has gas been going through the roof? One year? People like you make yourselves look silly when you are so blinded by your hatred that you blame the man for everything. What else can we blame him for? Too much rain? Blame Bush. You got a box of stale Oreos at the supermarket? Blame Bush. Your favorite tv show was cancelled? Must be Bushy working behing the scenes. Gosh dangit get a grip.

Gas prices are up all over the world Debra. Please get a grip and take my advice. Roll dowhill instead of keeping your foot on the gas lol.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 10, 2008 03:51

Gas was $1.64 when Bush took office.

Gas is cheap in the U.S. When I saw $4.29 somewhere north of St Louis or Kentucky the other night and I got home to Louisiana where it's $3.97 the first thing out of my mouth was "They're giving it away!"

If I need to go somewhere I will drive. Whatever the cost.

That does not have anything to do with whether or not I will go to a concert. If the Stones are playing the nearest city faraway (St Louis, Atlanta), I'm not going no matter what. It's not that important for me.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. It's a luxury in a sense.

I think the aspect with the price of gasoline in the U.S is look at how many people live in the U.S. It seems reasonable that it would be lower due to the amount. But the demand is high. So there you go. More people driving every day.

Europeans who haven't been to the U.S. think "Oh let's go to Disney." Well, for a lot of people, Disney is very far away. And why would anyone want to go there anyway? It's stupid.

Date: July 10, 2008 04:40

Ok then. I'll just pedal down the road for some Boones Farm, spark one up and return to reality!!(If only for a little while)

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 10, 2008 06:26

We're noticing the Jump At The Pump here too. I got a new car six weeks ago and prices seemed to have spiked as soon as I drove off the lot. The tank is 1/3 larger and the consumption slightly higher, so the cost of a fill up is taking some time to get used to - but I know Europe etc has had it worse for some time. Took a bit of a drive yesterday and used the cruise control for the first time - it cut the consumption by about 25% so will use it whenever possible on the highway, but much of my driving is in the city. I don't drive enough as a rule for this to be an issue yet, but for the first time I am including gas in my household budget.

Would it make a difference for a Stones tour? Depends on how the flight prices are affected - and whether I have any self control. So... unlikely!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:00

The price of gazoline i.e. petrol i.e. oil is controlled by the market not by politicians. Please do not use this thread as an excuse to promote politics, whatever your view is. Political discussions on IORR always get out of hand and will be closed.

If the price of travel i.e. driving your car on the next Stones tour is a main worry now then you have too few problems in life. Which is great in one way, I am sure people with little food or who wake up in an unsafe environment every morning would love to have such a problem as the main one.

I mean I take the bus on Wiltshire if I am in LA. Even in LA there is a bus. And a train to Anaheim and so on. So people can stay in their cars with expensive gas and queue up all day. I go public. I take the bus with all the people who clean the houses and do the gardens of people in LA who never take the bus. I never drive a car on tour, unless the shows are in remote places like Glendale or Sunrise/Fort Lauderdale, which is not so often.

For work it is a different issue. I take my car and the customers get to pay for the price of oil. If the price of oil is up they have to pay more. Privately I should walk more anyway, and to be honest, what is there to do with oil prices anyway? Too many people do want oil in the world, and it - oil - is going too fast. You simply have to live with the fact that oil is expensive, and I have to live with the fact that my own country makes awfully lots of money on oil. Nothing I can do about it, edxcept moving to Swefden may be, but that is not an option for me, I like 17. mai.

Bjornulf

Date: July 10, 2008 09:07

.... how about jed clampet. ..
''listen to a man name jed, poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed, then one day he was shootin' for some food/ and up from the ground comes a bubble crude,, oil that is, texas tea,, black gold..

ya all know the rest, theres always hope.......... if ya got a rifle.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 10, 2008 09:32

When I posted that thread, I was thinking to airfares to see the Stones, not to commuting.

My point was: we were used to get some affordable ticket for a Paris NY, about 500$-600$, are we more likely to pay 1,200$ to fly to see the Stones at the MSG?

Personally, I have a big chance: I work at home, I use a scooter in town and I have no car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 09:43 by The Joker.

Date: July 10, 2008 12:49

The Joker
When I posted that thread, I was thinking to airfares to see the Stones, not to commuting.

Book early whenever you can.
I booked my Christmas travel Monday evening for a fare that about equals weekend travel right now.

Date: July 10, 2008 22:03

mickijaggeroo

.... with that statement, your saying your paying $18-20 dollars a gallon of gasoline, which anyone in there right mind knows is not true. and anyone in the united states of america (legal or not) can go to a hospital and be treated for free, let alone all the family practice centers and urgent cares that are free, on a sliding scale due to ones income. no one gets turned away with a tooth ache or a brain tumor if they like the stones or not.. ..... your not pissing me off or any other knowledged american who lives here, but makes it difficult to have a sensable on going conversation.....

edith grove, oh yeah, time ta go huntin' alright, pack yer bags and move on out to beverly hills, , by the way, theres a few dericks camouflaged/sound proofed off of sunset blvd, one not far from the capital records building...

Date: July 10, 2008 23:03

I think maybe it hurts Americans pocketbooks so much more(gas prices) because (at least in texas)everything is so spread out.For instance there is no public method of transportation where I reside. Not even cab service. Its the 4th to last poorest county in the state and only a couple of counties out of DFW. Its kinda a myth here that anyone can be treated for free. Texas is last in the country for social services now. we used to at least count on Miss. to keep us out of last but no more! I personally know of people sent home to die out of lack of funds or ins. Not trying to argue with anyone-just giving a perspective from my area.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 10, 2008 23:58

soundcheck
mickijaggeroo

.... with that statement, your saying your paying $18-20 dollars a gallon of gasoline, which anyone in there right mind knows is not true. and anyone in the united states of america (legal or not) can go to a hospital and be treated for free, let alone all the family practice centers and urgent cares that are free, on a sliding scale due to ones income. no one gets turned away with a tooth ache or a brain tumor if they like the stones or not.. ..... your not pissing me off or any other knowledged american who lives here, but makes it difficult to have a sensable on going conversation.....

edith grove, oh yeah, time ta go huntin' alright, pack yer bags and move on out to beverly hills, , by the way, theres a few dericks camouflaged/sound proofed off of sunset blvd, one not far from the capital records building...

No, my, I confess, math is wrong: A gallon costs as I read from one example above (skipstones post); $4.29 approx. A dollar costs 6 swedish kronor.
So one gallon would cost 4.29 x 6 = 25.7 swedish kronor, OK?
We don´t use the gallon here, we use litres, and one gallon equals 3.78 litres.
And for one litre we pay cirka 13.5 swedish kronor.
3.78 x 13.5 = 50 swedish kronor=8.35$, so the conclusion is, we pay double of what you pay....So I based my "fourth" statement on how it used to be up until recently, sorry. winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-11 00:03 by mickijaggeroo.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home