Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Gas price and next Stones tour
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 6, 2008 17:55

Do you think it will hurt our tiny travelling self-indulgences?

Re: Gas price and next Stones tour
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 6, 2008 18:05

No

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 6, 2008 18:10

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 6, 2008 18:36

Prices over here have traditionally been 2-3 times what Americans pay. And American wages are higher.

So, I cant see why Americans get worked up about it so much, to be honest.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: July 6, 2008 18:43

Not at all.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 6, 2008 19:20

No - and Gazza's comments are spot on (as usual)!

Posted by: stein ()
Date: July 6, 2008 20:25

No, gas are cheaper today than 10 years ago if you compare to usual income.
Travelling to other countrys are cheaper as well long as we have a strong currency here. A year ago we payed 12,5 nkr for a pound, today we pay only 10. and we payed 6,5 for us today only 5 nkr.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 6, 2008 21:26

I'll tell you why we get so worked up about gas prices! One, there is no reason for it here in the USA except for those who KNOW, it all has to do with Bush refusing to harvest oil that is ready to pump right off of our own shores. He choses to buy foreign oil because it helps his oil buddies continue to make trillions of dollars at the expense of the poor and middle class! Our own Senators tell it like it is on national tV! ( Joe Biden for one!). Second, in the USA we don't have villages, we have cities that are usually quite a distance away from one another. Americans usually cannot walk to work, to market, as you can in Europe. Our society is totally different from the European culture, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, Americans have become oil " pigs", using huge SUV's instead of more practical vehicles but the adjustments cannot be made by waving a magic wand. And , yes, I think the entire economy has beeb hurt tremendously by the cost of fuel in the USA so it could certainly impact the Stones tour in a negative way. Everything has increased in price due to the rising cost of oil! People are losing their family homes, food costs are crazy! Jobs are lost daily, those of us that have jobs are pinched with gas costing 3 times what it should, some cannot afford to drive to find a job. It is really ridiculous and all due to Republican greed.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: July 6, 2008 21:40

Both the Democrats and the Republicans have been bought off by the oil companies for years.
get a grip

Date: July 6, 2008 22:10

Aren't high Euro fuel prices due, in large part, to taxes?
And do not several countries in Europe have low-cost or no-cost health care and good public transportation?
I suppose it all depends on how certain changes affect your personal situation.
In my case, and most of you know I'm American, a large percentage of my income goes towards my health insurance, and that insurance has a very high deductible.
I am lucky to enjoy pretty good health, so I pay for literally every dollar of my health care with my insurance only kicking in if something major happens to me.
Many people on my side of the pond cannot afford health insurance and the higher fuel costs, along with a lack of an integrated public transportation system, especially between towns, only adds to that problem.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 6, 2008 22:54

Gazza
Prices over here have traditionally been 2-3 times what Americans pay. And American wages are higher.

So, I cant see why Americans get worked up about it so much, to be honest.

Our wages use to be higher, but with the poor dollar, not sure if it is any more. I hear that London Cabbies make between 75,000 and 100,000 pounds a year. If true making $150,000 to $200,000 in the US are "Professional" wages.

...and yes, Europe has always paid a lot more for gas than the US...and your cars get far better gas mileage and yes, that is our own fault.

Date: July 6, 2008 22:59

BluzDude
I hear that London Cabbies make between 75,000 and 100,000 pounds a year.

Sounds good, but how far does that go in London anyway? That's one expensive city!

Date: July 6, 2008 23:04

Edith Grove
BluzDude

Sounds good, but how far does that go in London anyway? That's one expensive city!

It sure is! When I took a tour of London last August, the guide Proudly stated that London was now the most expensive city in the world.

Date: July 6, 2008 23:11

Doc, maybe both parties are not totally innocent but you cannot even come close to the level of sleaziness that the Republicans have achieved of late! Not even CLOSE!

Date: July 6, 2008 23:53

mickschix
Doc, maybe both parties are not totally innocent but you cannot even come close to the level of sleaziness that the Republicans have achieved of late! Not even CLOSE!

Having managed and worked political campaigns on both sides of the isle, I can tell you that there is plenty of corruption on both sides. The republicans are not worse, especially if you compare it to the crap that LBJ pulled. Democratic Corruption gets surpressed because....well I won't bother to tell you because you won't believe it...and why are we getting political here anyway?

Date: July 7, 2008 00:46

I certainly didn't start this thread but gas prices are tied to politics in the good ole USA. I can't resist expressing my opinion on this topic. And I really would have a tough time believing that only Democratic corruption is suppressed! PLEASE! I too have strong political ties and have campaigned for many years so I am not unaware of the dirty deeds.
Back to the Stones, I think the economic climate in this country will surely affect ticket sales; how can it not? Concerts are a luxury and many folks are having an impossible time affording essentials, let alone something they can easily skip. ( Well, not EASILY!) Unless the Stones decide to come down on prices they will have a harder time filling the concerts halls, IMO. I'd like to see a HUGE decrease, a sort of " thank you to fans" kinda pricing. I think we'll see a cow jump over the moon before we see a cut in ticket prices.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 7, 2008 01:17

Edith Grove
And do not several countries in Europe have low-cost or no-cost health care and good public transportation?----
Second, in the USA we don't have villages, we have cities that are usually quite a distance away from one another. Americans usually cannot walk to work, to market, as you can in Europe.

Health care here is financed by taxes. So it´s not low or no cost, but payed for by all through our income taxes. A very democratic system.
Secondly, you make it sound like Europe is like some big farmcountry with people walking to the fields, and buying their food etc in the local market (of course the markets are located in the middle of the villages)..I can´t think of anyone I know that lives so close to work, that they can walk there in no time.
However, the part about good public transportation is probably true. I don´t own a car, I use the bus or tram, and I save a lot of money, that I spend on all things Stones! smiling smiley You pay for a gallon (approx. 4 litres) what we pay for one litre. So who´s getting the short end of it?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 7, 2008 01:22

"I can´t think of anyone I know that lives so close to work, that they can walk there in no time."
Thats because you live in a big city, Ville. Many of us do (walk to work).
I bet Elmo & many other of the people at this board do to.

The world aint a Metropolis. SOme live in urban way, some in smalltowns.
They who live in the countryside often have the longest distances to work.

We are horrible role models for the kids, all of "us" that drive everywhere.

What good does it make that we mock USA in everything, also the
shady sides of development, like bad/junk food & mass comsumption
& bad health coz we aint moving our bodies?

Sorry I did tend to get a little political there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 01:22 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 7, 2008 01:31

Gazza, one reason (besides those stated by mickschix) is that I think we drive more over here in the US, for longer distances. Why is that? Many reasons, including a lack of good public transportation. Some live fairly far away from their jobs, by choice, yes, but not an easy path to re-negotiate.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: July 7, 2008 01:31

high fuel prices are passed on to every other product. if there is a stones tour you will pay more for everything, as everything is brought in by truck.

Date: July 7, 2008 01:34

I did not mock USA. I just corrected what I thought was a wrongfully painted picture. Of course I could walk to work, but note what I said "...in no time", wich is impossible. It would take me an hour and a half one way. Of course it would bring good health etc, but the day only has 24 hours...so much to do, so little time Bus does the job in a little over 25 minutes.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: July 7, 2008 01:47

mickijaggeroo
Edith Grove
And do not several countries in Europe have low-cost or no-cost health care and good public transportation?----
Second, in the USA we don't have villages, we have cities that are usually quite a distance away from one another. Americans usually cannot walk to work, to market, as you can in Europe.

Health care here is financed by taxes. So it´s not low or no cost, but payed for by all through our income taxes. A very democratic system.
Secondly, you make it sound like Europe is like some big farmcountry with people walking to the fields, and buying their food etc in the local market (of course the markets are located in the middle of the villages)..I can´t think of anyone I know that lives so close to work, that they can walk there in no time.
However, the part about good public transportation is probably true. I don´t own a car, I use the bus or tram, and I save a lot of money, that I spend on all things Stones! smiling smiley You pay for a gallon (approx. 4 litres) what we pay for one litre. So who´s getting the short end of it?

Vilhelm, first let me point out that the second line you quoted me for was written by someone else on this thread.
Second, it was my intention to point out that some of us enjoy benefits that are financed by high taxes,
while others have to pay for those benefits while enjoying lower taxes. At the end of the day, there is no free lunch for anyone.

I was not my intent to prove right or wrong, and certainly not my intent to insult anyone.
I apologize if I came across this way.

Date: July 7, 2008 01:53

EG, you certainly did not insult me. Takes a bit more for that...thank God smiling smiley
It´s me that should apologize, for getting you wrong. And you´re certainly right, there´s no free lunches to be had...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 7, 2008 01:56

BluzDude

I'm not entering into the politics here but let's set something strait. I don't know what London Cabbies earn but I'd be surprised is it was £75k - £100k!!!!

The current average wage in UK is about £26,000. That includes a contribution from the "super-rich" elite who earn millions. A vast majority of the British population earn less than this figure. The average family income is around £32,000.

If London cabbies earn 3-4 times the national wage then good luck to them!

Date: July 7, 2008 01:59

Cheers, Vilhelm! smileys with beer

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2008 02:07

maybe it wont hurt you guys in other countries, but if the gas prices dont come down in the US by the next stones tour it will surely flop, how you can disagree is beyond me, $4 a gallon may not sound like much to you but it is a disgrace over here and the economy is a mess with people losing jobs left and right, mick and the boys better consider this before treking the states again

Date: July 7, 2008 02:29

angee
Gazza, one reason (besides those stated by mickschix) is that I think we drive more over here in the US, for longer distances. Why is that? Many reasons, including a lack of good public transportation. Some live fairly far away from their jobs, by choice, yes, but not an easy path to re-negotiate.

what - hundreds of miles? Theres only so far most people are realistically going to be able to drive to and from work each day.

people in england commute long distances too.

Date: July 7, 2008 02:31

melillo
maybe it wont hurt you guys in other countries, but if the gas prices dont come down in the US by the next stones tour it will surely flop, how you can disagree is beyond me, $4 a gallon may not sound like much to you but it is a disgrace over here and the economy is a mess with people losing jobs left and right, mick and the boys better consider this before treking the states again

Try £5 a gallon, which is close to $10.

Its always been higher here, and wages have always been lower.

They've somehow managed to always be able to tour here despite that, and the fact that other household prices are higher. Americans in general have more disposable income than is the case in Europe,

You're hardly the only economy in the world which has rising costs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 02:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 7, 2008 02:33

Wow,who needs Helter Skelter for political talk?...Still seems to be plenty around here.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 7, 2008 02:57

Gazza
melillo

Try £5 a gallon, which is close to $10.

Its always been higher here, and wages have always been lower.

They've somehow managed to always be able to tour here despite that, and the fact that other household prices are higher. Americans in general have more disposable income than is the case in Europe,

You're hardly the only economy in the world which has rising costs.

Gazza, you are speaking from a point of common sense. Many Americans go to Europe (on credit) and worry about paying for it later...that's no common sense.

The economic situation is global.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home