Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: When did The Rolling Stones Jump the Shark?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 12, 2008 23:14

I remember reading in ROLLING STONE about the Licks rehearsals and how someone suggested Flight 505 and that they were working on Slave. My first thought was I hope this makes some kind of release when it's been played for quite a few shows.

But no. Instead we got If I Was A Dancer and the usual crap - some of it outstanding - along with some fantastic gems, of course. As a tease they put the rehearsal of Slave in the doc.

Their most inventive tour ever to me. Would I have gone to a show if they came to New Orleans? If I could afford it. But there's no need to be concerned about seeing the Stones ever again.

Which brings up a strange point - they won't play New Orleans ONCE but they'll play Chicago how many times? Goddamn. They need to skip Chicago until at least the very final tour and at least come back to New Orleans one more time dammit.

So maybe in a new way they jumped for me with their ignoration of New Orleans starting in 1997. They got a lot of air and still haven't landed.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2008 16:37

stoned in washington dc
JumpingKentFlash
stoned in washington dc
i think they haven't jumped yet but they have sort of forgotten where they come from in my opinion... which is chuck berry rock and roll.

.... And Elmore James, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Elvis etc. etc. I don't think you can say that they're Berry rock 'n rollers. They're so much more than that.

they're not only berry rock and rollers but they are berry rock and rollers first and foremost.. that is undeniable...

I think that they WERE Berry rock 'n rollers. I'm not sure that they are today. When was the last time they did a Chuck Berry tune? 1999? The only way their love for Berry is upheld these days, are when they do IORR and Star Star really. Those a probably the most Berryesque tunes they do now. Don't get me wrong. I'd love them to do a Berry cover (Little Queenie was a gas in 1998). But I'd also love them to do so much other stuff than Berry tunes. So it's up to them I think. It was very nice to catch I'll Go Crazy last year. Actually I think that it would be way cool to do an album of covers. Just think of the tunes they've done in the past tours that aren't on record. I'll Go Crazy, Get Up Stand Up, Mr. Pitiful, The Night Time Is The Right Time, I Can't Turn You Loose, The Nearness Of You. They could all go on a cover album. Throw in some other tracks too (Like Chuck Berry - There's still some great Berry tunes they haven't done. Imagine Keith doing A Cottage For Sale (Even though it's not Berry's song I think), and a simplistic version of Havana Moon), and just think about a Stones rendition of Who Do You Love. That REALLY killed in Miami, 1994.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 13, 2008 16:41

Sometime around 1978

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 13, 2008 18:40

When they started inviting Sheryl Crow on stage.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 13, 2008 20:15

I'll take Sheryl over Dave Matthewws and Christinia Agoola and Amy Drunkhouse and...

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 29, 2008 09:26

I think the litmus test is, have you been embarassed for the Stones? I can't really say that I have (although Keith's croakin' vocals are getting close!) Even the silly 80's videos were a product of their time. Of course "Undercover"is cheesy now, but I kind of thought it was cool when I first saw it!
I think jumpin the shark implies that the product is never the same again. The Stones have made some missteps to be sure, but still redeem themselves over and over with their incredible body of work.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 29, 2008 10:19

Many of we folks who frequent these pages are too close to be objective I suppose. The band is almost like one of your kids. It doesn't matter waht they do, you'll forgive them anything and still love them.
The real litmus test is the respect they still have amongst real music fans accross three or four generations. It's still there.

Date: July 29, 2008 12:57

When they released Jump On Top Of Me as a b-side??

smiling bouncing smileyRe: When did The Rolling Stones Jump the Shark?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 29, 2008 13:01

Theif in the Night
When they released Jump On Top Of Me as a b-side??

Nah, surely it was the release of 'Jump Back'.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 29, 2008 16:44

When 1991 was an entire re-hash of 1989-1990.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: July 29, 2008 19:28

when sweet neo con was included for the bigger bang cd.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home