Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: When did The Rolling Stones Jump the Shark?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 7, 2008 01:40

Edward Twining
The 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll' single is much more the point in case where the Stones begin to jump the shark, or at least tread water.

how so?

while I think the IORR album is quite weak, the single has a great groove and interesting lyrics (and only 2 Stones play on it, mick and keith). It nods to the current style, glam rock, without jumping the shark, IMO.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 7, 2008 02:18

The last time they played San Jose. Their was a rogue zamboni with a fin on the loose and they had to move pretty fast to get out of the way.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 7, 2008 02:19

I'd have to concur with the folks who say they jumped the shark with Angie. Since then, it's been "ONLY rock 'n' roll," as opposed to a life-affirming passion.

The Rolling Stones used to be perceived as a threat to social order. Would you let your daughter marry a Rolling Stone with their lack of respect for your petty morals? Since Angie, they've become firmly entrenched in the establishment. Mick's about as threatening as an aerobics instructor, and Keef lives in bloody suburban Connecticut. However, Charlie Watts still never misses a beat.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2008 02:22

probably jumped the shark with black n blue. a meaningless no direction collection of music, minus hand of fate

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: July 7, 2008 05:44

How about when Street of Love was used in a story line in a soap on U.S. tv. I can't remember the name of the show ,maybe Days of our Lives . I amazed that they did that....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 7, 2008 09:43

They are the bleadin' shark ;^)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2008 14:44

bassaleman
How about when Street of Love was used in a story line in a soap on U.S. tv. I can't remember the name of the show ,maybe Days of our Lives . I amazed that they did that....

It was indeed Days of Our Lives.

I had managed to erase that atrocity from my subconscious until you reminded me.

An all time low in the credibility stakes.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 7, 2008 16:21

Sharks will cry ......

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 7, 2008 16:49

if you mean "passed their peak" of course they are. if you mean ridiculuos , nah not yet. still a few miles in the tank, especially if the drive carefully

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: July 7, 2008 20:54

Gazza, so sorry, I know how you feel! I do think I picked the winner of this thread.........

Date: July 7, 2008 21:57

I think you did. Whilst Ive collected hundreds of hours of Stones video material over the last 25 years, thats actually one piece of film I didnt bother trying to track down. I've still never seen it and have no intention of doing so. The descriptions I read on the Stones boards of how it was used in the show was horrific enough.

I think of it as something similar to how the Gorgon is portrayed in Greek mythology. If I ever dared look at it, I'd probably turn to stone.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:57

As early as sacking Ian Stewart from the official line-up and releasing that whimsical version of Come On as a debut single. Still, I love 'm more than any other band in the world.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 7, 2008 23:11

From4tilLate
For me, they got skis in the air with the Steel Wheels tour and cleared the shark fully when Bill left.
Tommy
next year will mark the 20th anniversary of the death of the rolling stones and the birth of the vegas stones.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:37

JumpingKentFlash
Edith Grove
JumpingKentFlash
What does jump the shark mean?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks! If it means "passing your peak", they haven't done it yet IMO.

Good lord, what have you been smoking?!?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:45

Streets Of Love being issued as a single yet alone being on the record is terrible. Rock And A Hard Place and Angie as well. They've had a few jumps...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 8, 2008 02:25

sweetcharmedlife
The last time they played San Jose. Their was a rogue zamboni with a fin on the loose and they had to move pretty fast to get out of the way.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

that's right. It aint called the Shark Tank for nothing.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 8, 2008 03:47

ryanpow
sweetcharmedlife

that's right. It aint called the Shark Tank for nothing.

Yep and the place was definitely jumping.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 8, 2008 04:53

Nanker Phlegm
if you mean "passed their peak" of course they are. if you mean ridiculuos , nah not yet. still a few miles in the tank, especially if the drive carefully

I agree. The Streets Of Love/Days Of Our Lives things wasn't one of their finer moments but I would guess that not too many people saw it or even heard about it and many of those that did quickly forgot about it. It won't define them so I can't call it a jumping the shark moment.

Someone mentioned Black And Blue. That would be my choice if it weren't for the fact they rebounded two years later with Some Girls. They had many moments which had he potential to be jumping the shark moments (Black And Blue, ER, DW) but they rebounded after those moments.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 8, 2008 05:24

Maybe if they used a song - almost any song - that was better than Shits Of Love, it may have actually been noticed. Although most of the people that watch those shows are either unemployed, Section 8, retired or stay at home parents - I'm guessing.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: July 8, 2008 06:31

lets get serious they jumped the shark in 68 then again in 72 in 81 89 and 94 perhaps when bigger bang came out

for a band that was supposed to last 2 or 3 years im surprised there are sharks enough!

OLDKR

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 8, 2008 07:03

>My point with "Jumping the Shark" was that with Jimmy Miller and up to "Angie" the Stones musically produced songs that were not "middle of the road."

How is that so different from "As Tears Go By"?

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: July 8, 2008 07:07

And now I've got "Mack the Knife" stuck in my head with this full-blown image of Mick crooning it in Vegas. Could be worse, I guess!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 8, 2008 17:54

The Stones jumped the shark several times in their career: in 1964/65 when they turned from a blues band to a beat and pop band, in 1968 when they became the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world, in 1973 when they focused on glimmer and entertainment, in 1978 when they became a half punk and half disco band, in 1985/86 when they nearly split ... Musically speaking the last jump was in 1983 with Undercover. Everything that followed didn't have much influence on the Stones' music. I guess that's why they mostly focus on songs from the 60s/70s at their concerts.

Date: July 8, 2008 17:56

largelingerie
And now I've got "Mack the Knife" stuck in my head with this full-blown image of Mick crooning it in Vegas.

Give it five years!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 19:30 by Gazza.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:25

Mick Taylor's departure jumped the shark. They were never as good. Maybe they were already on their way downt the crapper, but still...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:31

I vote for the cherry picker and football get-up from the "tattoo you" tour.
It was fun and cool....but......jumped the shark.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:32

I don't think it was a single jump...a kind of equestrian ride with multiple jumps.

1. Dirty Work: their first truly bad record since the start of their amaizing run in the late 60s of great records (OK...Emotional Rescue was a mini-jump). They released a record with no effort, no emotion, poor songwriting in virtually every track.

2. 1989: Going Vegas. Not sure if they played Vegas on that tour, but they became more of a 'show' or an 'act' than a band - though I still enjoyed them live on the tour and several tours after this - but they lost their edge and covered it with lots of extra people and a huge stage show

3. 1998-99: Crazy ticket prices. Good for them, bad for the fan...and any young fans needed to keep the band relevant and vital.

I love the music, and have seen some great shows, but they need to jump back over and really write and play with some passion again. Keith needs to drive the band...not provide fill...but his 'glad to be here...' just reeks of a guy who is going thru the motions.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:40

It can probably be said they've jumped the shark a few times. I think around 1973 into 1974 with the corny videos for some of the Goat's Head Soup songs and then IORR, they kind of looked foolish and IORR just seemed like your typical rock theme song (like Old Time of Rock n Roll, We will Rock you, ect..) The album itself was much weaker than anything else they released in the 70s.

Live they started to in 75 with the outrageous stages and props. However it seemed to all at once jump the shark in 89 with the tour, stage, extra musicians, polished sound and so on. There have been glimpses of scaling down back to the roots in 1995, and in 1999 with the more stripped down sound and then during Licks where they did great varied set lists and played different size venues.. But then with ABB it came right back to being the huge stadium spectecle with standard set lists, more gimmicks and higher ticket prices... and a new album they barely played, which made it worse.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 8, 2008 22:27

One thing you can say about the stones is that they have never got pretentious. They got a little cheezier and or somewhat vegas style in some respects. but not pretentious, like "where gunna change the world, or make you think we're so cool and sophisticated"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 22:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 8, 2008 22:30

"Mick Taylor's departure jumped the shark. They were never as good. Maybe they were already on their way downt the crapper, but still..."

Load of old cobswollop!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home