Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some Girls...Released 30 Years Ago Today
Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: June 9, 2008 20:13

And what an album it was/is....My second Stones album after Black and Blue...Still a classic album IMO...One of my favorites....I remember buying the original and then the cover had to be changed

Re: Some Girls...Released 30 Years Ago Today
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 9, 2008 22:27

Funny, I listened to it today without realising about it. Weird...

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 9, 2008 22:29

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 13:22 by vudicus.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2008 22:32

i feel old, too....but, then i am old. not as old as the ancient stones, but still....

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 9, 2008 23:21

I taped that album on two sides of a Maxell XL90 and listened to it over and over again, all through the summer of '78, in a beat up Dodge Challenger I drove in my college years. I'm on my third Dodge Challenger (a beautiful resto with a kick ass sound system and a carbon footprint that would give Al Gore a much deserved heart attack) and one of my favorite listens is still my own "Some Girls" CD mix with the long "Miss You" substituted at the front and "Everything's Turning To Gold" tacked on at the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-10 17:16 by R.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:02

I got one with the original cover. Bought it when it came out. I was a tender 21 at the time, playing in a road band. That's when we learned the "new single from the Stones". The disco crowds ate it up.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:20

I remember being 19 and racing down to the record store the day it came out. My copy had the original cover of course. Ahh...the great feeling of the Stones being back, with a big new single constantly on the radio, and incredible playing from Keith & the new guy.

A couple of pals stopped by and I told them at the front door that I had "Some Girls" in my rec room. They pushed past me in a hurry to have a look, but I think they were little disappointed.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 10, 2008 02:41

My first Stones album, then saw them live for the first time the following month.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 02:56

I remember that day like it was yesterday...

Got off work, bought the album and went over a friends house for a first listen.

We were happy that day.

Posted by: dariog ()
Date: June 10, 2008 03:48

june 10 first date of the tour in lakeland florida stones never played there again......

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:37

It's unbelievable...what an album......

and also unbelievable that it only has been 14 years between "No. 1" and "Some Girls".

I mean, 14 years, that's from "Voodoo Lounge (1994)" to "A Bigger Bang" (2008)....

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: June 10, 2008 09:24

Jesus, I disappear, chase a stupid dream already failed before, crawl into bed, back out, rediscover life, head back to the board, AND GET IT HIT WITH THIS? COME ON GUYS LMAO ARE YOU TRYNG TO DEPRESS ME AGAIN? tongue sticking out smiley Has it really been 30 years? THIRTY FRIGGIN YEARS??No wonder yesterday after climbing 5 flights of stairs my right knee started to ache! Thank goodness the xanax is in the other room and maybe better up the lexapro dose hahahahhahahha!

All joking aside, I remember eagerly heading home with the album and getting side tracked by a phone call. It is all too clear. "Party Tonight." Later, new album still in plastic, off with a terrific girl I loved whose face I can see and name I forget for some cheap wine, sinsemilla, and was it qualuudes or placidyls?? smileys with beer
is it any wonder those minor details get blurred? Well there we are, about 6-8 of us in an old farm house, well weathered, candle lit (bright lights would not only affect our mellow mood but expose the wonderful feeling for what it was, a bunch of firked up kids) and the album goes on and the volume is cranked. Absolute flat affect and response. There was even debate, side 2 or not? I do remember the album quickly replaced when over by Dylan's Blood on The Tracks.

Maybe the album was too aggressive for the mix of intoxicants that night. It did not go on my list of must plays right away. Still, I trudged off to the 78 Cleveland show, which to my mind is still the WORST Stones event I have ever been to, and was treated to a bad short show largely composed of songs I really did not know or apprciate. Suddenly my Avaatars had feet of clay. I did not listen to the album much after that for quite a long while.

And for many years I accepted it as a CLASSIC because somehow everyone else said it was. Honestly though, it was not until the Handsome Girls boots came out that I ever began to really grasp what was going on. Now I have heard Miss You so many times live it has lost its luster, but I can start at song two and listen to the whole album straight through and apprecaite today the bands raw return to Rock and Roll. Challenged by the PUNKS, they rose and in some ways recreated themselves. It has taken me many years to understand finally what all the talk is about, but I do, I do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-10 09:26 by kahoosier.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 09:52

The BEST Rolling Stones album.Very good sound, fine mix.Lots of great guitar works, hypnotic harp (Sugar Blue).CLASSIC!!!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:58

Some Girls was the first Stones album I bought. I loved Miss You and bought the album soon after it came out - in the original cover. I was 11.

Since then I've had a fixation with it. I think I must have about ten different vinyl pressings of it (red and orange vinyl, Japanese, US etc etc), five different CD versions, and a whole bunch of related bootlegs. It's not their last great album, nor is it - arguably - their greatest album, but it's my favourite one.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 10, 2008 11:08

I bought the original cover LP the day it came out, and the 12in Pink Miss You - first 12 in single I bought; first pink record since I was 5 years old; and what a great exteneded version of Miss You....I can still remember the department store where I bought it!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 10, 2008 11:14

Its the one album I play regularly

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: June 10, 2008 13:32

Man what a summer it waas. Hard to believe its been 30 years already. This is still one of my favorite albums. Ahhh, Tracey... wonder where you are now....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 10, 2008 13:34

The album regardless of the stuff posted in books was actually released on Monday, June 5. Yes, release dates were on Mondays years ago....Not only was the album played in full on Boston radio stations that day, but I remember getting it at the Harvard Coop that morning.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 10, 2008 14:18

WoW - is it already 30 years since my friend's father burst into his room and shouted "TURN DOWN THAT RACKET"!! (well -he said it in Danish - but besides that)

Let's drink to that smileys with beer

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 10, 2008 15:57

ablett
Its the one album I play regularly

.......could not have said it better.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:33

A minor and completely palatable masterpiece. It is fun, high class crap with a certain feel, but crap nonetheless. You "get it" right away. Be doing something else when you put it on because it is not worth a close second listen. There is much less going on there than meets the ear. Unfortunately, it is by far and away the high point of the Woody era.

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:34

awesome..awesome....awesome album....always playing tracks at work....there sick of me around my desk but i don't care...can't get enough.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:37

Good effort, Some Girls, but I always skip over so many tracks, Miss You, Beast, etc. Cant hold a candle to Beggars, Bleed, Ya Yas or Exile, though.

JR

Date: June 10, 2008 19:40

your correct about exile JR ...must admit not too much stuff i don't like...so i can't disagree much..

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:42

I love it... ;-) One of the few perfect albums for me.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:43

I noticed they played on average 8 songs from the record on that tour. Great set lists.

Date: June 10, 2008 19:46

your right skipstone...great gigs

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:58

The guitars were good on the LP. They were on fire.

Date: June 10, 2008 20:01

oh for sure b-n-b........my fellow campers this weekend r gonna hear it many times.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 10, 2008 20:42

....a review from one of their harshest critics.

The Stones' best album since Exile on Main Street is also their easiest since Let It Bleed or before. They haven't gone for a knockdown uptempo classic, a "Brown Sugar" or "Jumping Jack Flash"--just straight rock and roll unencumbered by horn sections or Billy Preston. Even Jagger takes a relatively direct approach, and if he retains any credibility for you after six years of dicking around, there should be no agonizing over whether you like this record, no waiting for tunes to kick in. Lyrically, there are some bad moments--especially on the title cut, which is too f*cking indirect to suit me--but in general the abrasiveness seems personal, earned, unposed, and the vulnerability more genuine than ever. Also, the band is a real good one--especially the drummer. (Grade - A)

- © R. Christgau/Village Voice

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home