Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"SOME GIRLS" Album - I Love Its Production
Date: May 15, 2008 20:47

I love the way "Some Girls" sounds. It's very well produced, IMO, or at least it's produced the way I like albums to be produced. I think it's especially great when it comes to the way the drums and the bass sound.

What do you think?

Re: "SOME GIRLS" Album - I Love Its Production
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 15, 2008 21:24

The mix is dreadful. Black and Blue has a sensational mix, as does IORR. SG sounds muddy muddy muddy and tinny tinny tinny.thumbs down

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 15, 2008 22:11

Black and Blue AND Some Girls sounds great. Probably the best sounding ones of all albums.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 15, 2008 22:14

The best sound - Sticky Fingers. But SG go second, very close to the Exile. (You gotta love that sound, I Just Want to See His Face and so so so on)!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 15, 2008 22:14

And I hate the sound of Goats Head Soup and IORR. Yeah.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 15, 2008 22:16

it has a unique sound, thats for shure! but i prefer B&B.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 15, 2008 22:16

Sticky Fingers has great sound too, agreed.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 15, 2008 23:21

I thought Some Girls sounds to compressed. No dynamic range, IT'S JUST THE OPPOSITE OF BLACK AND BLUE

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 15, 2008 23:36

It's a very slick album. It sounds good. It's fun. I like Ronnie's solo on Shattered. But it's not worth a close listen. You get it all in glance. There is a lot less going on there than it sounds.

Date: May 15, 2008 23:36

it just never sounds really loud! its compressed!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 15, 2008 23:45

Try the Mono Vinyl of Let IT Bleed....that is sound...

JR

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 15, 2008 23:46

If I think of an overall sound impression it's Ronnie's Gimme Some Neck that sounds "freshest".

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 15, 2008 23:51

Where's the love for what's widely considered the best-ever Stones album aside from the Big Four?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 16, 2008 00:01

I've always thought the album is one of the few stones albums that doesnt sound good on cd. Although thr CBS cd sounds slightly warmer than the Virgin re-issue, they both sound way too thin and tinny for my tastes.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 16, 2008 00:38

stone-relics

JR
I agree ,its a killer. Now if someone would just put the ultra rare MONO SF album on cd......................HEH HEH!

Date: May 16, 2008 00:58

Could someone please upload the mono edition of "Let It Bleed"? I've never heard it and would love to. Thanks in advance!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 16, 2008 01:31

If someone doesnt upload it for you let me know.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 16, 2008 01:57

scottkeef
stone-relics

JR
I agree ,its a killer. Now if someone would just put the ultra rare MONO SF album on cd......................HEH HEH!

I only have it on tape...dont have the technology to do a digital transfer. But the digitazation kinda ruins these mono mixes anyway. Tape, Acetate or rare Mono LP....thats the way to go. Luckily, I have them all...

JR

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 16, 2008 03:21

I think some girls sounds great too. Its not as Lush sounding as Black N Blue which is also excellent, but I think the production is perfect for the kind of songs on Some girls. the songs are more immideate and straight ahead.

speaking of bill.. I was noticing recently how great he sounds on the Emotional Rescue album.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 16, 2008 03:48

IORR is by far the worst. Lacks punch, sounds like the whole band is underwater. Black and Blue is ridiculously good. How do things sound so different?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2008 04:20

Emotional Rescue sounds incredible, as does Tattoo You considering the sources of all the past albums those tunes were recorded for.

Some Girls has its own unique sound but I don't think it's meaty like any of the other 70s albums. In fact, it sounds rather thin.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 16, 2008 04:59

I love the SG mix. You can hear every instrument well. You can play it loud and it just gets better.

It does sound a little thin, I think Bill's bass and Charlie's bass drum could have been deeper sounding to give the songs a more meaty sound but consider the style of tunes it works great as is. The cost of getting Bill more out front without sounding to bass heavy.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2008 05:55

It's a very crisp sounding album. I think ER sounds better in the sense of how SG could have sounded. It's crisp and meaty.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 16, 2008 08:29

Amused
And I hate the sound of Goats Head Soup and IORR. Yeah.

Me too. It´s the two albums with the worst drum- (snare) sound ever
done by them.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 16, 2008 09:55

GHS sounds like it was recorded from the other side of much thicker veils than those of the cover art ! Misty and out of focus...almost like a sort "soft digital" sound...years ahead of that subsequent mightmare ;^)

Exile is thick, murky and foggy...but you can walk into the fog and let every little detail loom into focus...eventually.
[You can even today hear stuff happening on Exile that you haeven't really noticed before !]

Some Girls is nice in that it's a very "Stonesy" and messy mix with lots of subtle strands and depth...but some rather iffy guitar tone.

B&B is a glossy "Hi Fi" production which is just too accessable. Not enough happening...it's like once you've heard it, you've heard it.
Not that you won't want to listen to it again [there's good material on it]...but you won't hear or appreciate anything new on repeated listenings.

IORR is a bit like B&B...but less immediate and glossy.

Maybe doesn't make much sense...but that's my take on some the albums discussed above ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 09:56 by Spud.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 10:07

"GHS sounds like it was recorded from the other side of much thicker veils than those of the cover art ! Misty and out of focus...almost like a sort "soft digital" sound...years ahead of that subsequent mightmare ;^)

Exile is thick, murky and foggy...but you can walk into the fog and let every little detail loom into focus...eventually.
[You can even today hear stuff happening on Exile that you haeven't really noticed before !]

Some Girls is nice in that it's a very "Stonesy" and messy mix with lots of subtle strands and depth...but some rather iffy guitar tone.

B&B is a glossy "Hi Fi" production which is just too accessable. Not enough happening...it's like once you've heard it, you've heard it.
Not that you won't want to listen to it again [there's good material on it]...but you won't hear or appreciate anything new on repeated listenings.

IORR is a bit like B&B...but less immediate and glossy.

Maybe doesn't make much sense...but that's my take on some the albums discussed above ;^)"

Very good review! And I love all, that's why The Stones is not booring.

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: May 16, 2008 10:33

pmk251
It's a very slick album. It sounds good. It's fun. I like Ronnie's solo on Shattered. But it's not worth a close listen. You get it all in glance. There is a lot less going on there than it sounds.

From the sleeve notes, I think you will find the Shattered solo is Keith

Date: May 16, 2008 12:08

skipstone
It's a very crisp sounding album. I think ER sounds better in the sense of how SG could have sounded. It's crisp and meaty.

exactly. SG should have sounded like ER. but SG has the better songs...

Date: May 16, 2008 12:15

Black And Blue, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed all have fantastic sound. Some Girls too, but the production is heavily influenced by the punk wave, hence the "mud" (which I think suits the album just fine smiling smiley )

Date: May 16, 2008 12:16

The mix on IORR is crazy. Totally unpredictable and uneven (not in a good way, imo)...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2164
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home