Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"High Roller" written by Jagger/Richards
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 28, 2008 06:03

I read somewhere they gave this to Leslie West and Mick plays guitar on the track.

Does anyone have this they could post or lyrics? or any info?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: "High Roller" written by Jagger/Richards
Date: October 29, 2009 15:53

I read somewhere they gave this to Leslie West and Mick plays guitar on the track.

Does anyone have this they could post or lyrics? or any info?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 29, 2009 15:56

link:

[www.answers.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 29, 2009 16:05

from a 2007 interview by Rick Landers:

"West moved in heady circles that included Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Jack Bruce, Ahmet Ertugen, Van Halen, Billy Joel and Tom Dowd. Leslie and Mick once joined forces to write a song as he explained in an early interview, "We ended up writing a song ["High Roller" together for the album The Great Fatsby [1975, Phantom Records]. It was almost like “Brown Sugar” backwards. You’d swear it was the Stones.”"

Date: October 29, 2009 16:06

click to listen...here:

[www.tower.com]

Date: October 29, 2009 16:26

Any other songs Mick and Keith gave away? I know there are alot from the sixties!!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 29, 2009 16:34

Thanks for the link. I am going to have to get this cd. He also does a great version of "If I Were A Carpenter" on it.

Mike - formerly in Georgia, now in the sunshine state of Florida.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-29 16:36 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 30, 2009 00:55

Marhsall
Any other songs Mick and Keith gave away? I know there are alot from the sixties!!

Between 1963 and 1973 Mick and Keith wrote quite a few songs that were recorded by other artists, many of which were not released officially by The Stones in the UK at the time, although some turned up on American albums and singles and some which later turned up on on "Metamorphosis". Other versions were released before The Stones' own (eg Sister Morphine, Wild Horses and Silver Train).

Here are some of them:
Will You Be My Lover Tonight - George Bean
It Should Be You - George Bean
That Girl Belongs To Yesterday - Gene Pitney
Shang A Doo Lang - Adrienne Poster
Give Me Your Hand - Teddy Green
As Tears Go By - Marianne Faithfull
So Much In Love - The Mighty Avengers
You Must Be The One - The Greenbeats
All I Want Is My Baby - Bobby Jameson
Each And Every Day - Bobby Jameson, Thee
I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys - The Toggery Five
Blue Turns To Grey - Tracey Day, Dick and Deedee, Cliff Richard
Congratulations - West 5
Surprise, Surprise - Lulu and The Luvvers
Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind - Vashti
Sleepy City - The Mighty Avengers
Wastin' Time - Jimmy Tarbuck
So Much In Love - Charles Dickens
Sitting On A Fence - Twice As Much
Ride On Baby - Chris Farlowe
Sister Morphine - Marianne Faithfull
Wild Horses - The Flying Burrito Brothers
Silver Train - Johnny Winter
Act Together - Ronnie Wood
Sure the One You Need - Ronnie Wood
High Roller - Leslie West

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-30 01:02 by Deltics.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: October 30, 2009 01:53

sweet neo con

"West moved in heady circles that included Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Jack Bruce, Ahmet Ertugen, Van Halen, Billy Joel and Tom Dowd. Leslie and Mick once joined forces to write a song as he explained in an early interview, "We ended up writing a song ["High Roller" together for the album The Great Fatsby [1975, Phantom Records]. It was almost like “Brown Sugar” backwards. You’d swear it was the Stones.”"

That sugests a collaboration between West and Jagger resulted in the finished song. it might be stretching it a bit to say it was a Stones song 'given-away'. Or of course Jagger (with Richards help?) had the bones of it (a demo even..) before he and West got to work on it... or was it the other way round?

Posted by: jahlove ()
Date: October 30, 2009 05:59

Pay Pack and Follow album by John Phillips in the early to mid 70s was produced by Mick and Keith. Phillips was apparently so paralyzed by drugs that Mick and Keith had to finish writing the songs.,,,,It seems more of a Stones album with John Phillips singing lead.

Date: October 30, 2009 14:40

I made a special radio program about Mountain, at the end I played this song,

This is the MP3 file for the whole radio program and includes the WHOLE SONG!! [www.rocksoff.org]

And this is the index, so if you want to listen that song just skip and go directly, warning it's in Spanish

This is very special as this is the only song composed by Mick and Keith WITH others for a non-stones album that is not on a Stones album

This is Keith and Corky Laing (Mountain's drummer)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-30 15:12 by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2009 14:47

thanks Voodoo Chile honey! when was that photo taken, please and thank you?
and do you know who took it?

Date: October 30, 2009 15:17

Hi with ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssoul! smileys with beer

The picture is from my book "Nantucket Sleighride" writtem by Leslie and Corky comes from this sessions and was taken by David Krebbs

Leslie was a good friend of John Lennon and Mick Jagger, in that book there are some funny stories about parties in NYC with the three of them,a special "birthday surprise" for Leslie and more

Mountain was one of my fav bands back then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-30 15:18 by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2009 15:31

>> The picture is from my book "Nantucket Sleighride" writtem by Leslie and Corky comes from this sessions and was taken by David Krebbs <<

thanks my dear! does the book give a date for the shot? judging by Keith's look i'm guessing 78/79 -
but Keith has a way of looking however he wants, whenever he wants, so i'd rather ask [passing popcorn]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 30, 2009 17:31

April Wine (who opened at El Mocambo) also has a song called "Roller":

"She's a roller, a high roller, baby, she is"

Date: October 31, 2009 08:29

The sessiones were in October 1974 (Electric Lady Studios, NYC) and this picture is circa 1977

BTW, Mick Jagger plays guitar in Honky Tonk Woman too (track 1 side cool smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:14

This song showed up on my facebook feed this morning. I’d never heard of it... Jagger co-wrote and plays guitar on it. It has an unmistakable seventies Stones sound (and throw in some Faces as well or maybe that’s just Leslie West being Leslie West – don’t really know much about the cat). Highly recommended. It’s as least as good as anything on Pay, Pack and Follow and frankly beats the hell out of everything on B&L.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 21, 2017 11:16

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
I made a special radio program about Mountain, at the end I played this song,

This is the MP3 file for the whole radio program and includes the WHOLE SONG!! [www.rocksoff.org]

And this is the index, so if you want to listen that song just skip and go directly, warning it's in Spanish

This is very special as this is the only song composed by Mick and Keith WITH others for a non-stones album that is not on a Stones album

"Almost hear you sigh" was another track written by "Jagger/Richards" + Jordan for Keith first album but in fact available on "Steel Wheels".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:01

sweet neo con

He wasn't kidding. It is similar, especially the riff. Hilariously sounds like Brown Sugar, Soul Survivor and AC/DC's Wanna Be A Rock'N'Roll Singer or It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Want To Rock'N'Roll).

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 21, 2017 15:06

I thought Start Me Up was Brown Sugar backwards? winking smiley

Date: February 21, 2017 15:30

Technically, Sad Sad Sad is Brown Sugar backwards.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:12

IMHO the song High Roller was made up in the studio and all contributing musicians got a writing credit, plus an absent Richards - as it was always Jagger/Richards in those days.

N

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:18

I really liked the first Mountain album.
With West Bruce and Laing they did a loong Play with Fire version.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:58

Ragus Nworb is Brown Sugar backwards! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:39

This was a track Mick worked up in the studio with Leslie West and friends. Keith's credit was their agreement at the time just like Mick's credit on "Sure the One You Need" and "Act Together." This continued until after the release of SHE'S THE BOSS when Keith objected to his credit on "Lonely at the Top." From 1985 on, the Jagger/Richards credit is applied only to Stones records. This also impacted releases of older material. "Zulu Warrior" by John Phillips did not credit Keith, only Mick. "Seperately" by Mick Taylor only credits Keith, not Jagger as Taylor's co-writer. The other title of interest might be "Just Wanna Hold" by Mick Jones of Foreigner. Jones wrote the song with Jagger and Ian Hunter, but the release was close to STEEL WHEELS so the non-compete clause meant Mick had to take the pseudonym of Michael Phillips on the song.

Date: February 21, 2017 19:57

Keith objected to his credit on Lonely at the Top? I've never seen that!

Date: February 21, 2017 21:38

I think it's in the Musician cover story from 1986. Keith says he didn't want his name on the album since he had no control over what came out. After that the Jagger/Richards credit was only ever applied to Stones material.

When promoting THE VERY BEST OF MICK JAGGER in 2007, Mick was quick to point out he did not recollect Keith had anything to do with writing "Memo From Turner." Just my own supposing here, but I think it's safe to say they prefer the way things have been for the past 32 years. They are two successful creative individuals who are forced to acknowledge they need one another to achieve the level of success and acceptance they desire. The flip side of that is always going to be petty resentment. While I think Keith is the MAIN OFFENDER in that area, Mick is hardly without fault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 21:43 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 21, 2017 23:01

Very thorough info from Sir Dijon, once again! I for one had never heard of that Mick co-write on the Mick Jones song. Pretty unusual for Mick too, do we know how that collaboration came about ? Was it a non-compete clause or because Keith was horrified by the outcome ? ;-)

[www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 21, 2017 23:33

HIGH ROLLER

video: [youtu.be]

Is Mick doing the simple UH UH UHH UUH TAA THAA TA riffing?

Awright!

That was fun.

NEXT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 23:35 by RipThisBone.

Date: February 21, 2017 23:58

gotdablouse
I for one had never heard of that Mick co-write on the Mick Jones song. Pretty unusual for Mick too, do we know how that collaboration came about ? Was it a non-compete clause or because Keith was horrified by the outcome ? ;-)

[www.youtube.com]

I know the story behind it is in Bill German's BEGGARS BANQUET or CONNECTION. I think it was something like Jagger and Mick Jones met up at a party and then Mick stopped by the studio at the same time as Ian Hunter and the three of them knocked it out pretty quickly. Lyrically the chorus calls to mind "Wannna Hold You" just as "Secrets" recalled the lyrics to the chorus of "All About You." The non-compete clause was something Keith had to get around when the Winos backed him for his International Rock Awards Lifetime Achievement presentation just before mixing started for STEEL WHEELS. As for the song itself, I always thought Mick collaborated with the wrong Mick Jones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home