Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mixed Emotions
Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: April 28, 2008 22:53

i liked steel wheels when it first came out, it was the first album the stones done with me as a fan, but as much as i tried i just couldnt take to mixed emotions, its just not a very good song, hearts for sale and terrifying were the others on the album i didnt rate.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 28, 2008 23:47

Unlike most others here I thought ME was characterless rubbish when it first came out.

But the textures, the structure, the production, the simple directness, coupled with looping and saoring vocals soon turned me around. A definite grower.

Keith stroking character into what is really a one-chord wonder. And you'd think - how the hell can you make the bass intersting on this fairly level musical plain - but Bill does it where few others could have.

It's the contrast between the driving (but not too fast) level rhythm, (no hurry) of the verses, and the more urgent and soaring/looping of Jagger and Woods in the choruses.

The 12" version is killer Keith.

LIS? Simply no comparison. Shouldn't have a look in on this thread!
From the sublime simplicity of 1989 to the ridiculous banality of a nursery-rhyme tune and lyrics of 1994.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 02:36 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2008 23:54

Hmmm... what is nice in these 'song-threads' is that you find interesting different views on the songs, and those makes you willing to relisten them in a new way, and perhaps, even change your fixed beliefs about them!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 23:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 28, 2008 23:57

I havent always been as keen on it as now.
But I find steadily new depths & new power in it.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:39

Hold On To Your Hat was much better, IMHO.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:44

To each his own; but the Hat tune is a real low-watermark imho.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:49

ME is good but it is a comeback song. They laugh and sing. A promo for the comeback. The "Stones".

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:49

Zack
I liked the part where Keith and Mick were standing side by side working on the song and Keith pointed at his guitar and said "needs another chord in there."

Everything for the camera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 00:50 by LA FORUM.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 29, 2008 01:50

Doxa
Baboon Bro
When you listen to it you don't need to use the usual 'forgive the 80's production' factor... Dylan's OH MERCY is another one.

- Doxa

That's cause Daniel Lanois is a $%&#ing genuis!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:10

I agree Hold on to Your Hat is a cheap Rip This Joint immitation...ME is much better.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:34

But on 'Hat' Keith's lead guitar work is just phenomenal. Fast and mean. Such tone.

And some Charlie's beefy bits at the end make it worth the ride.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: April 29, 2008 03:58

It's too pop sounding for my taste. Sound a bit contrived too almost like let's write a single.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 29, 2008 11:35

Great rhythm guitar playing by Keith. The sound of the record is too harsh due to primitive digital recording. On the radio they played two Stones tracks back to back this morning. She's like a rainbow en then ME. Rainbow sounded warm and fat. ME sounded much thinner, recorded more than 20 years later!

Date: April 29, 2008 12:12

I liked the song when it came out, but I didn't fancy Keith's guitar sound. Too clean and polished. Same goes for Ronnie's sound.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 12:22

The only album I really don't like is Steel Wheels. I hate ME.It's the 80's parody of The Rolling Stones.

Date: April 29, 2008 13:05

great song

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 29, 2008 17:42

I remember seeing the video thinking "What the fu*ck is Keith wearing?" The clothes sucked for that tour.

OK but the song - it was promising. I thought I'd NEVER get to see the Stones. I saw the press conference. I was elated. Then the single came out - wow, it's on. NEW SONTES! Here we go. Radio single, video single - never did find the 5" single but did find the 3" as well as the 45. Then the album came out. Loved it. It was new. I don't think Mixed Emotions was so much of a song about getting back together but more about let's continue please...get on with it. So the song has a positive spin on it. But the video is difficult. It's too...soft. Too smiley.

The remix is interesting but a bit over the top in simplicity. I'd rather listen to the remix of One Hit or Harlem Shuffle or even Miss You or I Go Wild, which is really more of a full mix than a remix. Unedited.

ME - the verses in the major and the chorus in the minor is what Mick was talking about it being difficult to do, go from major to minor. Which is odd because he has no trouble on the record, ha ha.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home