Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mixed Emotions
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:15

One of the lads most underrated tune ever? Or.. ?

Re: Mixed Emotions
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:29

I really liked the song when it first came out because it was very similar to stuff I wrote. I remember they played it live when it first came out, then the song seemed to have disappeared.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:30

Your completely right Baboon.....................

Here is an other one

Date: April 28, 2008 03:37

Probably my highest moment (when I entered my f-ir-s-t & o-n-l-y
Stones concert sofar) last summer in Brno when they cranked out LIS..

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:49

Didn't Mick state something on A DVD or somewhere that he likes it but its difficult song to sing live. Chorus irregular tempo or something similar?? MEZ

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:20

It's a cool song, but MEZ is right - the verse/chorus change is hard to get down live.

Nice commentary on the state of Mick and Keith circa 1989.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:21

I like Steel Wheels but was never a big fan of this song. I gained some interest in it when Rarities came out- I like the Rarities version better than the SW version.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:24

Me too Frank. I like most of the remixes better. Maybe because tooooooooo familiar with the studio versions.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:56

.... its the mix alright,, good song, poorly made, ill'ly released with one of jaggers worst vocals i can think of, almost like a sabotage trick its so upfront obnoxious which ruins/burrys the good stuff.. a simple case they bit off more than they could chew with that one............ the love is strong video is a fun one, jollie with her gravitational pull for a little bonus of history....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 28, 2008 06:05

I like this song, I remember it as a kid from the Steel wheels tour commercials. I prefer the live version from Atlantic City. I can see how it would be difficult to sing but Mick managed to do a good job with it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 06:33

Great song! classic chorus, and my favorite off Steel Wheels, less polished and not overproduced like the majority of the songs on Steel Wheels... Liked the guitar hook as well with some great lyrics about Mick and Keith.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 28, 2008 06:43

Brought the band back on the radio when Steel Wheels came out. I like it!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2008 07:21

In the video - When Mick sings "Let's bury the hatchet" and does that arm wave, you know that world war 3 was over. When I see it I feel awesome. Great moment in Stones history.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 28, 2008 10:15

Powerful; can understans you veteran fans might be somewhat weary of it,
I actually first got aqcuinted to this tune for real in early/mid-90s.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: April 28, 2008 11:41

i like the song, but wouldn´t go so far to call it the "most underrated tune ever" - it was there 1st single from SW and a couple of times played, so....the version i like more than the album version is the maxi-single version, were Keith is singing too.....

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:02

i think jaggers workout-dress is very sexy! ;-)

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Date: April 28, 2008 14:57

wandering spirit
i like the song, but wouldn´t go so far to call it the "most underrated tune ever" - it was there 1st single from SW and a couple of times played, so....the version i like more than the album version is the maxi-single version, were Keith is singing too.....

Available at modern media somewhere? Or could someone post it (Buy/Sell/Trade), if run out of stock?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2008 17:48

I remember so well when those songs (ME; LIS) came out - both them sounded quite pleasing, like a promise that this will be another 'big Stones song' - which they never turned out to be. The catchiness of both of them died quite quickly and I think neither of them is survived very well - throwaway songs, really.

The video of ME flirted nicely with nostalgy - at that time that was so warm-sounding and -looking (with the wanna be-catchy chorus) etc. to see them pose, especially Mick and Keith, happily together (like the moment of sharing the mic in SAL) - but now it looks like just another horrible 80's sleazy production. The video - like the song - of LIS tries to reconstruct the classical elements of danger and sex associated with The Stones, but I think it sounds and looks quite boring and cliche-like nowadays,

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 17:50 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2008 17:53

I think it's one of the most powerful moments in the rock history of the 80s..
Let go that sentence dont mean too much, yet...
Once again: Aint it a good thing to put things in right perspective?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 28, 2008 17:55

Great track!!

Superb layered guitars and lovely harmonies with a strong hook line. Love it to bits and could not understand why it wasn't chosen for inclusion in Live At The Max.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2008 18:22

Baboon Bro

I think Keith's TALK IS CHEAP is very shining piece of art in that context. When you listen to it you don't need to use the usual 'forgive the 80's production' factor... Dylan's OH MERCY is another one.

- Doxa

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:02

Mick & Keith sharing the microphone on this video.

Sounds better to me now than in '89.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:24

good song not great, hence never being played again

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:30

Instrumentally strong, like pretty much the whole album.
Still, like sooooo many of their modern songs, I find the lyrics lack a certain 'cool' factor. Kinda weak, forgettable. Where's the sing-a-long-ability? Am I gonna throw on this on during a party? Nope. There's better (and worse) on Steel Wheels, imo (and better albums in the modern era).

The video is designed as "Yay, we're friends, see? let's all hug, get new haircuts and rehearse, team!" to get everyone prepped for "Stones v2.0".

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:57

The bass work is special

Darryll wouldn't have had a clue.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 28, 2008 20:06

I liked the part where Keith and Mick were standing side by side working on the song and Keith pointed at his guitar and said "needs another chord in there."

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 28, 2008 20:11

Doxa
Baboon Bro

I think Keith's TALK IS CHEAP is very shining piece of art in that context. When you listen to it you don't need to use the usual 'forgive the 80's production' factor... Dylan's OH MERCY is another one.

- Doxa

I don't know, there's a harshness to the sound of both of those albums that wouldn't have been there in the 70s. Oh Mercy also sounds fairly rushed... good but overrated at the time, I think.

I really like "Mixed Emotions"... I don't understand why it's not more favorably recalled. It's a good riff and tune with a poignant theme and very complete production. I have to think it's because it never took off live that it's forgotten. Really I think the band has been mostly skittish with new material since the Europe '73 tour.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 28, 2008 20:15

Excuse me but Dylan's Oh Mercy is very, very 80s. All the Lanois reverb stuff. Spoils it for me now - but very 'in' at the time.

I prefer the production on his In The Groove - much of which is similar to the direct, raw, no frills of Talk is Cheap.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: April 28, 2008 22:08

Fantastic song!

I would love it if the Stones would make an example of the mix of the bass and drums on this album (Steel Wheels).. it's superb... great mix.
Since Darryl participated, they buried the bass, on every album, well.. except maybe Bridges (with Anybody Seen and Out Of Control, where the bass is the riff).

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 22:50

In 1989 it was cool to have the Stones back on the radio and MTV but I don't think too much of this track. Very poppy, weak lyrics. I would never go out of my way to listen to it again.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2222
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home