Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: To all the SAL and Stones complainers
Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 1, 2008 23:54

ablett
So Barn Owl, no source to your claim that Blondie overdubbed Live Licks

Millions of Stones clips on youtube but no Blondie on Electric???

I'm sure Blondie plays at times throughout the stones gig (as Simon Townshend does at the Who) but don't give the impression he plays most of the guitar parts and RW/KR pose....

And please, sarcasm and all that......

See Justin's post above!

And if that ain't proof enough, try using your ears!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:05

"Keith = 47%
Ronnie = 47%
Blondie = ~6%"

Not exactly the new great Stones Axe man eh!

Still no source for the Live Licks quote then eh chap?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:09

Yep, just goes to show that the band should've gotten one up on the Beatles and quit after Brian died.

Date: May 2, 2008 00:14

this a stones bad?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:17

If one wants to compare SAL to the other live albums about new tracks from the record they were promoting...maybe Live Licks is the best represented since Forty Licks was a new release even though it was mostly a re-release package etc...

Ya-Ya's has - they were what, basically promoting Beggars and Bleed right? Well there's 2 from Beggars on it, not including JJF. 3? from Bleed on it and the rest are, ugh, I can't remember now.

Love You Live consisted of IOR'N'R and BAB tracks, 2 from each as I recall...

Still Life was ER and TY so 1 from ER and, oh damn, 1 from TY...

Flashpoint had...3 from Steel Wheels on it?

I won't go into Stripped...

No Security presented the Bridges tunes quite well I thought. What, 4? That's pretty good.

So Shine A Light doesn't have any Bang tunes on it. Nor did they perform any Bang tunes at either show. So in one way it was a catalog showcase seeing they did more tunes from Some Girls and Exile than any other album, their two, possibly, biggest albums of their post-ABKCO career as far as popularity (I know Sticky Fingers wasn't included with exception to Brown Sugar but that's a warhorse now innit).

It would have - dreaming here, wish list, whatever - been nice to have a live album with all the Bang tracks they actually did perform on it plus a few odd tunes along the lines of Live Licks disc 2 along with...my Stones live album greediness coming out...the SAL album.

Please, by all means, correct the amounts if I got them wrong. I think the point gets across, whatever the point was.

Date: May 2, 2008 00:17

ablett
"Keith = 47%
Ronnie = 47%
Blondie = ~6%"

Not exactly the new great Stones Axe man eh!

Still no source for the Live Licks quote then eh chap?

So for two points, does Blondie Chaplin play electric guitar to cover Keith and Ronnie's inept arses?

Answer: YES!!

As for the overdubs, well I'm more than happy to remind you that it has been well discussed on these very pages, though no doubt you've had your "selective memory" button switched on.

Still, you seem to have great difficulty believing anything that's not on youtube.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:19

I seem to have missed the overdubs...talk about SAL.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:26

ablett
So Barn Owl, no source to your claim that Blondie overdubbed Live Licks

Millions of Stones clips on youtube but no Blondie on Electric???

I'm sure Blondie plays at times throughout the stones gig (as Simon Townshend does at the Who) but don't give the impression he plays most of the guitar parts and RW/KR pose....

And please, sarcasm and all that......

Why would there be clips of Blondie playing electric guitar when he DOESNT DO SO ONSTAGE?? I've seen it with my own eyes that he does it.

Theres plenty of guitar overdubs on the Austin show on Biggest Bang. Its quite evident at times, especially when watching the B stage.

Its interesting that on the credits for the DVD it states "Additional Recordings by Pierre de Beauport and Dave Rouze". Pierre is Keith's guitar tech and has played on Stones records before. I think he may have even played onstage with them before during Keiths set some years ago but I cant remember for sure. A google search indicates that Rouze is also a very prominent guitar technician. Why are technicians credited as doing overdubs on an official release?

As for Live Licks/Four Flicks. Its basically the same material on both and theres definitely some overdubbed guitars on it. However, the Stones were on the road until one month before the DVD's release and theres no record of them having done any studio activity during the European tour (unlike 1998 when Keith used a few days before the Paris show to add some overdubs for No Security), so its quite feasible that someone else may have added some parts. I cant be 100% sure though.

I certainly wouldnt suggest Keith and Ronnie are largely not playing onstage, but there's definitely more 'filling in' on electric guitar by others of late - ie Chaplin - than what is 'officially' visible. What Justin says above about his role is pretty much correct. My own opinion on the onstage/offstage acosutic/electric thing is that its less of a big deal to see an extra musician playing acoustic than it would be to see someone filling in on electric in a band who are recognised as an 'electric guitar'-dominated band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-02 00:28 by Gazza.

Date: May 2, 2008 00:28

6% covers their "inept arses"? Get a life???

I've no selective memory. I'd just like to see the facts that Blondie overdubbed Live Licks which you can't obviously prove.....

And, show me one You tube video that Blondie plays the main electric guitar riffs?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:38

Ablett, Barn Owl is simply trying to raise your hackles. You're better off not giving a hoot about it. smiling smiley

Date: May 2, 2008 00:50

I know. But it's a shame a grown man (?) can't prove what he says?

I aint a "yes-man" but the continuos griping does get tedious.....

SAL has its faults but after 40 odd years I think its a damn good product.

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: May 2, 2008 01:10

But a topic entitled "To all the SAL and Stones complainers" is going to attract naysayers as well as those nodding their heads in agreement.

One of the risks of posting on forums.

Why not just eradicate all negative posts regarding the Stones in their current incarnation?

Although if some of the thought police represented here had their way the naysayers themselves would have to be eradicated as well.

Date: May 2, 2008 01:24

I don't want naysayers eradicated (well some maybe!) just stand by what you say and prove it....

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 2, 2008 01:42

I'm sure when Blondie isn't covering for Keith it is the Roswell aliens playing remotely from area 51 to cover all of his other mistakes. Some effing loons in this thread.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: May 2, 2008 01:46

Tell me about it!

Date: May 2, 2008 02:06

ablett
6% covers their "inept arses"? Get a life???

I've no selective memory. I'd just like to see the facts that Blondie overdubbed Live Licks which you can't obviously prove.....

And, show me one You tube video that Blondie plays the main electric guitar riffs?

It's a helluva lot more than 6%!

I maybe only an owl, but even I can calculate that for the B-Stage set alone, that amounts to around 15% of the total playing time.

So let me spell it loud and clear for you. Blondie is papering over some very large and severe cracks in the guitarists' ability to deliver; which basically means that he is covering their arses!

I can write it in welsh if you like. Would that help?

Date: May 2, 2008 02:14

15%? Are you having a laugh?

Not quite the whole show eh?

You still are unable to prove the Live Licks overdubs???

Or the video?

Your assumption or fact.;... prove it!

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: May 2, 2008 02:33

reading this lot is far better than watching SAL and all the 4dvd sets (yawn) combined, keep up the biff ladies.......

Date: May 2, 2008 02:36

Words of wisdom from ERC6761 once again!

Nowt to say for a change....

Sad!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2008 02:38

ablett
15%? Are you having a laugh?

Not quite the whole show eh?

He never said or implied that it was the 'whole show'

He did say that the "b-stage alone" is 15% of the show, however, which is basically correct.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 2, 2008 03:11

This is quite entertaining.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 2, 2008 03:36

You can tell who the trolls are by reading this thread. It's so obvious. Anyone that criticizes SAL AND all of the four dvd sets isn't being objective imo and is just trolling.

I also find it interesting that the people who say Keith's performances suck are the same nitwits that claim Blondie is covering for Keith. Well then how is Keith's playing bad if he isn't playing? Nitwits.

If Gazza said Blondie covered for Keith at a show he saw I believe him but others here tend to exaggerate the amount of covering that is going on. The problem with all the trolls/naysayers or whatever you want to call them is that they routinely turn a molehill into a mountain and exaggerate all the shortcomings of the band.

Date: May 2, 2008 03:44

So basically Frank, if you happen to disagree with something that somebody says, you think it best to simply not believe them.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 2, 2008 03:48

Barn Owl
So basically Frank, if you happen to disagree with something that somebody says, you think it best to simply not believe them.

So who does he believe, apart from himself?

Date: May 2, 2008 03:52

Where did I say that Barn Owl? I said I believed Gazza. It's the people who constantly gripe and moan like yourself that have no credibility. You guys make it sound as if Keith is playing an unplugged air guitar while Blondie hides in the shadows playing all his parts. You overexaggerate things and yes therefore imo you and your ilk have no credibility.

Date: May 2, 2008 03:55

LOGIE
Barn Owl

Well I certainly don't believe you Logie since you whine, gripe and complain like an old lady. Perhaps a binky will help you buddy lol.

Date: May 2, 2008 03:57

ablett
I don't want naysayers eradicated (well some maybe!) just stand by what you say and prove it....

it seems that the only person unable to prove or stand by anything is yourself.

...and that hole that you've dug for yourself is just getting deeper and deeper.

Date: May 2, 2008 04:00

FrankM
LOGIE
Barn Owl

Well I certainly don't believe you Logie since you whine, gripe and complain like an old lady. Perhaps a binky will help you buddy lol.

Nothing wrong with good, honest critical debate. Throw the sycophants overboard!!!

Date: May 2, 2008 04:02

Yeah about as deep as the hole in your head Logie. You prove Blondie is playing a significant amount of Keith's guitar parts ya nitwit. The burden is on you. Go ahead and prove it.

Then you can go island hopping and prove Elvis is still alive. Nitwit.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: May 2, 2008 04:06

FrankM
You can tell who the trolls are by reading this thread. It's so obvious. Anyone that criticizes SAL AND all of the four dvd sets isn't being objective imo and is just trolling.

I also find it interesting that the people who say Keith's performances suck are the same nitwits that claim Blondie is covering for Keith. Well then how is Keith's playing bad if he isn't playing? Nitwits.

If Gazza said Blondie covered for Keith at a show he saw I believe him but others here tend to exaggerate the amount of covering that is going on. The problem with all the trolls/naysayers or whatever you want to call them is that they routinely turn a molehill into a mountain and exaggerate all the shortcomings of the band.

"anyone that criticizes all of the four DVD sets isn't being objective".......

OK that pretty much says it all doesn't it. Objectivity is based around positive, happy reviews etc??

Why not think before you type

Its only rock n troll but, I like it.............

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home