Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T - RIP Mickey Waller - drummer extraordinaire
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 6, 2008 21:16

legendary 60's drummer, of Cyril Davies, Jeff Beck, Steampacket, fame
has sadly passed away.

here's the info, from an email mail-out from the EelPie Club:-

".....Mickey Waller, one of the country's
greatest '60's rock drummers, passed away last week. He was a great
supporter of The Eel Pie Club and we will miss him. In his honour, The
Eel Pie Club will be paying tribute to him on Wednesday 11 June, with a
gig featuring Tom Nolan and The Bluescasters plus special guests and
friends of Mickey. Profits from this gig and a raffle will be donated
to
charity (we are not sure which one yet)."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Re: O.T - RIP Mickey Waller - drummer extraordinaire
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2008 21:21

Sad to hear - Ronnie's partner with the Jeff Beck Group and many Rod Stewart recordings. That's his dog barking at the beginning of "Sweet Little Rock And oller".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-06 21:37 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 6, 2008 21:29

Drink one for the Mick...

Rest in peace..

JR

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 6, 2008 21:44

So sorry to hear of this. Mickey had that "cajun"(thats how I described it) style of heavy on the snare and high hat that was so distinctive and really popped. I always thought Jimmmy Page kinda patterned LZ after the Jeff Beck Group in that one had a strong singer with inovative bass playing and killer guitar with a hard hitting drummer. I know Waller had a different style than Bonham but he definately rocked hard! Mickey contributed to Rods early sound as much as anyone ans who could forget that great drum work on Becks "Plimsoul". The world is much for the worse without you,Mickey.

Date: May 7, 2008 10:53

I've often heard it said, that Mickey,
sat in with The Stones, in the early days.

15th March 1964, Invicta Ballroom, Chatham , Kent, an example,
as indicated in this thread:-
[www.iorr.org]

any other examples, known?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 7, 2008 11:02

love & light to Mick Waller - thanks & praises, love & light

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 7, 2008 13:47

One and only time i saw him play was at the Art Wood tribute along with so many other legends.Wore a fleece jacket on a pretty warm day and must admit he was unrecognisable from photo's i've seen from his 60's and 70's heydays.Met a couple of guys at the gig who chatted to him and he came over as a realy nice,likeable guy they said.May he play at the next big rock gig they hold in heaven with the likes of Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin,James Brown and Jim Morrisson. R.I.P. Mickey.

Date: May 7, 2008 14:17

yes, i had the pleasure of meeting him,at the tribute as well.
He signed my copy of the commemorative programme.

I last saw him at The EelPie Club Xmas party.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 15:51 by Spud.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: May 7, 2008 17:24

Sad news indeed. The only time I saw him play was at the Art Wood tribute last year - a small old man in TWO fleeces, but played like a genius.

Hope you're enjoying a party Mickey.

Bill Wyman's book mentions the Chatham gig and says he was paid £16 for it. He was also mentioned in it as being part of the new band Brian Jones was setting up at the time of his death.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 7, 2008 21:28

RIP, I'll play some of his work today in memory:
Jeff Beck Group, "Truth" (expanded)
"Beck-Ola" ('Sweet Little Angel')
Rod Stewart, 'The RS Album', 'Gasoline Alley', 'Every Picture Tells A Story', 'Never A Dull Moment'
Ron Wood, 'Mystifies Me'
'Hay Tumble' ("Mahoney's Last Stand")
John Baldry, 'Complete Reprise Recordings'
...and before the JBG - did he play w/ Brian Augur's Trinity? I know he was in the band with Rod & Baldry mid 60s...and on Leigh Stephens' (Blue Cheer) solo debut.
As for the summer '69 Brian Jones reference, I alway wondered why no authors/journalists asked him about these oft-mentioned rehearsals - are they apocryphal?

Date: May 8, 2008 10:28

john r
did he play w/ Brian Augur's Trinity?

yes - according to wikipedia.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 8, 2008 10:42

john r
RIP, I'll play some of his work today in memory:
Jeff Beck Group, "Truth" (expanded)
"Beck-Ola" ('Sweet Little Angel')
Rod Stewart, 'The RS Album', 'Gasoline Alley', 'Every Picture Tells A Story', 'Never A Dull Moment'
Ron Wood, 'Mystifies Me'
'Hay Tumble' ("Mahoney's Last Stand")
John Baldry, 'Complete Reprise Recordings'
...and before the JBG - did he play w/ Brian Augur's Trinity? I know he was in the band with Rod & Baldry mid 60s...and on Leigh Stephens' (Blue Cheer) solo debut.
As for the summer '69 Brian Jones reference, I alway wondered why no authors/journalists asked him about these oft-mentioned rehearsals - are they apocryphal?

oh yes this man must get extra praise from all the angels.
he walloped those things. and such a big part of the sweet country downhome vibe that rod and ron created,,,
for me at the time released, and even now, it's just too hard to describe what a holy gift those Jeff Beck albums are. I agree that Zep took that heaviness to heart when he branched out so brilliantly (yardbirds both!)...
It's like they invented heavy metal right there. it was untouchable and unprecedented. it was loose and ferocious. rod messing up the words to elvis songs and it never mattered...those records are for all time brilliant, and that cat had a distinct wallop to his sound and approach,,,and could kick Beck and Ron in the ass...and still have the control to keep it all together and rock the world on the radio...
I wish I had known more about him in recent years. what a champ.
i hope his spirit knows great peace. with his accomplishments he must, imo, be considered one of the all time greats.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 8, 2008 10:56

I remember that Mickey used to get upset because he'd tell people that he was Rod's drummer but nobody believed him because Kenney mimed his parts on TOTP.

He was a fabulous drummer. I Ain't Superstitious, (I Know) I'm Losing You, Every Picture the list goes on. A sad loss.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: May 8, 2008 11:14

APOCRYPHAL adj 1. of questionable authenticity. 2.(sometimes cap) of or like the Apocrypha. 3. untrue, counterfeit.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 8, 2008 19:14

Braincapers
I remember that Mickey used to get upset because he'd tell people that he was Rod's drummer but nobody believed him because Kenney mimed his parts on TOTP.

He was a fabulous drummer. I Ain't Superstitious, (I Know) I'm Losing You, Every Picture the list goes on. A sad loss.
With all respect to Mickey(and I have a lot for him) are you sure "I'm Losing You" is his? Its Kenny according to the album liner notes.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 8, 2008 19:32

The good ones go to the great gig beyond the ozone,embarrassing farts like Rod S go on for ever

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 8, 2008 21:45

scottkeef
Braincapers

With all respect to Mickey(and I have a lot for him) are you sure "I'm Losing You" is his? Its Kenny according to the album liner notes.

In which case I stand corrected and apologise.

The bit about Waller being annoyed at watching Jones play his parts comes from his comments to Ray Coleman in his biography of Rod. If that's wrong I apologise for that too!

Contrite of Croydon

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 8, 2008 22:38

Waller and Kenny are both great drummers, with distinct styles. Each contributed mightily to Rods (and Kenny, Small Faces and Faces') classics. And Waller was much more deliberate, steadier, and funkier than (his replacement in JBG) Tony Newman's anarchic Bonham-on-acid on "Beck-Ola" (Newman was appropriate to THAT car crash of an album, of course)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home