Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: To all the SAL and Stones complainers
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 2, 2008 15:21

"So for two points, does Blondie Chaplin play electric guitar to cover Keith and Ronnie's inept arses?

Answer: YES!!"

Would you say I'm exaggerating what some are saying on this thread?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2008 15:27

Not the same as saying he 'covers them throughout' or (as youve alleged earlier) that 'theyre unable to play'.

Theres a significant difference between being 'unable to play' and 'unable to play like you used to'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-02 15:30 by Gazza.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 2, 2008 15:27

But why is it wrong ? ...and why is it such a big deal ?

Date: May 2, 2008 15:28

Splitting hairs Gaz......

Date: May 2, 2008 15:32

Nope. I honestly think youre making a mountain out of a molehill. Chaplin plays because Keith obviously feels the need to have him there. He's obviously not the guitar monster he used to be - but by the same token, acknowledging that he can do with someone to play a few fills doesnt mean that he's technically incompetent either. Its not a black and white issue.

Date: May 2, 2008 15:34

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 2, 2008 16:59

Actually, if you listen to LSTNT from Still Life, during the bridge there are, somehow, THREE guitars playing.

Of course, one of them is obviously an overdub.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 2, 2008 17:01

Can some kindly soul please pass this back to FrankM for me?

He spat it out a few hours ago.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 2, 2008 17:52

And here is the new IORR tshirt

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: May 2, 2008 17:53

Excellent!

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 2, 2008 17:57

NickB

...yes, definetly another one for the sycophant category.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 2, 2008 18:01

Gazza
Nope. I honestly think youre making a mountain out of a molehill. Chaplin plays because Keith obviously feels the need to have him there. He's obviously not the guitar monster he used to be - but by the same token, acknowledging that he can do with someone to play a few fills doesnt mean that he's technically incompetent either. Its not a black and white issue.

smiling smiley

Date: May 2, 2008 18:21

Barn Owl
NickB

I could never be accused of being a sycophant thankyou.

NickB

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 2, 2008 18:24

NickB

Ewan McGregor?

Date: May 2, 2008 18:36

Oh I bet Ewan would be over the moon with that comparison.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 2, 2008 18:40

NickB
Barn Owl
NickB

I could never be accused of being a sycophant thankyou.

...in which case you have my deepest apologies, NickB.

Date: May 2, 2008 18:42

Thanks Barn Owl. I only posted it for a laugh.

NickB

Date: May 3, 2008 00:16

ablett

"Move along, Mr Ablett....nothing to see here...." drinking smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 3, 2008 03:17

Ahaha good one Logie. I was thinking about posting a pic of a binky but you beat me to the punch.

So if I understand correctly Blondie fills in a little here and there throughout the show but in no way carries the show. That is the point I was trying to make. I don't think anyone is so naive as to believe that Keith is the player he was thirty years ago but it is also insane to suggest he just stands there like a puppet while Blondie does all the work.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 3, 2008 05:58

Just my take on it - from watching the movie and listening to the record it sure as shit is Keith playing the guitar that sounds like Keith. If Blondie is in the mix I sure as hell haven't been able to hear it.

Date: May 3, 2008 06:10

Yeah, although it would appear that SAL is pretty much or exclusively overdub free.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 3, 2008 06:19

I thought Blondie just strums an acoustic. Someone posted a 2007 pic saying it was him, out fromt, playing electric. I dunno - that pic was fuzzy.

But we all know - SAL was from 2006. I've not yet seen it, but have the CD. In the movie - do we ever see Blondie playing guitar? If so, acoustic? Electric?

What's the deal? I've commented on how I feel about it - but all this "Blondie plays everything" nonsense is a bit much - even for me. Come on! Where's the proof??

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 3, 2008 06:29

Yes, he plays electric on some songs...but its done offstage/in the wings

No one has suggested he 'plays everything'... some serious exaggeration of other people's words being done on this thread.

Seeing Blondie in SAL? For Christ sake, you can barely see Charlie Watts in SAL, let alone the backing musicians.

Date: May 3, 2008 06:32

There's a lack of Charle in a LOT of vids.

What's the editing like? Quick cuts like their recent DVDs? Will it be worth buying on DVD?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 3, 2008 06:40

jamesfdouglas
There's a lack of Charle in a LOT of vids.

What's the editing like? Quick cuts like their recent DVDs? Will it be worth buying on DVD?

Theres also a lack of Keith & Ronnie in SAL compared to most Stones vids. Its very much The Mick Jagger Show.

Some of the fast jump cuts are a bit annoying at times - that seems to be the norm with concert films these days unfortunately. Once in a while you get a relatively long lingering shot and when they focus on those, they're quite priceless.

Worth buying on DVD? Of course.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 3, 2008 06:57

Yeah i think it is a good flick,good sound,i only wish i could see that first run by Woody in some girls you know that deep tone one? Anyway it seemed to be an average night for ABB, nothing like the band is on stage and it's one of the night's though.

Date: May 3, 2008 07:06

Not a lot of actual 'band' shots then, eh? Too bad.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 3, 2008 07:19

Yes a definite buy of course. The sound is really good and some of the camera angles are priceless.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 3, 2008 16:13

.........in most markets in the USA Shine A Light has pretty much all but disappeared from cinema screens. DVD should be coming out soon.

Date: May 3, 2008 16:25

jamesfdouglas
I thought Blondie just strums an acoustic. Someone posted a 2007 pic saying it was him, out fromt, playing electric. I dunno - that pic was fuzzy.

But we all know - SAL was from 2006. I've not yet seen it, but have the CD. In the movie - do we ever see Blondie playing guitar? If so, acoustic? Electric?

What's the deal? I've commented on how I feel about it - but all this "Blondie plays everything" nonsense is a bit much - even for me. Come on! Where's the proof??

Now calm down James. NOBODY in this thread, or anywhere else, has ever said that Blondie plays on "everything", or for that matter anything even approaching a majority of the set, so I haven't a clue as to where you have got this impression from; though perhaps the histrionics and dummy-throwing tantrums of ablett and Frank have thrown you in this particular direction.

But proof? Well take my word for it from just ONE example. For the Stones' first gig at the O2 last August, I was in Block 101 Seat 20 ( I can provide the stub RIGHT HERE if you want) and I was literally a few feet away from Blondie playing electric and accoustic guitars, playing percussion, singing, harmonising, and in some cases, performing a combination of several of these activities within the same song!

However, to some of the more sycophantic believers on this board, the news that Keith and Ron need a little help from their friends is something they find difficult to come to terms with (hence the tantrums and denials).

Is it a big deal? Twenty years ago perhaps, but not any more. After all, musicianship tends to come bottom of the list of priorities for a lot of Stones fans these days.

Lighting, big screens, aerobics, and the chance to say "I was there" are far greater considerations.

Oh, and I nearly forgot... the sheer SIZE of the crowd!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-03 16:27 by Barn Owl.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home