Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Keith Richards says David Bowie is 'all Pose'
Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:05

35 Years of using cocaine,that's the worst pose I can imagine.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:06

Anyone who can put out an album as utterly brilliant as Young Americans has to be more than just a pose, though I would admit that as a live performer, he doesn't really have too much going for him.

His singing is almost as bad as Keith's!

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:17

LOGIE
Anyone who can put out an album as utterly brilliant as Young Americans has to be more than just a pose, though I would admit that as a live performer, he doesn't really have too much going for him.

His singing is almost as bad as Keith's!

I don.t know which show you're referring to but certainly not one of the several great ones I've been to.
He's a great live singer IMO!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:27

Always had a hunch that Keith didn't like Bowie's stuff. It's certainly not the same as the music Keef makes. He (Keef) always slags music that's not a) very old or b) the Stones. smiling smiley
I like it however. I think it's great.
To each his own.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-25 16:28 by JumpingKentFlash.

Date: April 25, 2008 16:30

melillo
keith has been posing since steel wheels, lets be honest

Another one who wasn't in London last year.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:30

Bowie a poser? Never in a million years!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:50

bowie is awesome! a true artist! of course he delivered alot of crap, but he tried new things. sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. and live he is just incredible.
his band and his singing is just fu.cking amazing!

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: April 25, 2008 18:12

Bowie's influence on popular culture has far exceeded Keith's. Perhaps even the Stones. Between 1970 and 1983 his grasp on popular culture was unsurpassed. Moreso than any rockstar before or since, including Elvis, The Beatles and The Stones. Music, Fashion, Art and Film are still being influenced by him and to top it all off he still sings great, looks great and writes current, influential, exciting albums. Jealousy on Keiths behalf, I think.

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: April 25, 2008 18:42

Yes I agree!!

Date: April 25, 2008 18:44

iamthedj
Bowie's influence on popular culture has far exceeded Keith's. Perhaps even the Stones. Between 1970 and 1983 his grasp on popular culture was unsurpassed. Moreso than any rockstar before or since, including Elvis, The Beatles and The Stones. Music, Fashion, Art and Film are still being influenced by him and to top it all off he still sings great, looks great and writes current, influential, exciting albums. Jealousy on Keiths behalf, I think.

That said, I'd rather listen to the Stones if I had to choose. And BTW: Without the Beatles, the Stones and Elvis, we wouldn't have heard Bowie like what we're used to. He was haevily influenced by them.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 25, 2008 18:49

Some of THE MAN'S better recent work (as we all know he hasn't been very active so it's not that easy finding this stuff)

LIFE ON MARS (VH-1 Awards - Fashion Rocks) 2005

FIVE YEARS (with Arcade Fire - 2006)

WATERLOO SUNSET (with Ray Davies - 2003)

MY DEATH (with Mike Garson - GQ Awards)

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: April 25, 2008 18:53

All Da Young & Friendly Dudes

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:10

JumpingKentFlash
melillo

dont have to see him in london dude, he was posing in jersey and new york and thats enough evidence for me, thanks

Date: April 25, 2008 19:29

melillo
JumpingKentFlash
melillo

dont have to see him in london dude, he was posing in jersey and new york and thats enough evidence for me, thanks

You say "Let's be honest". OK. Let's. I saw 4 ABB shows. Brno he had downtime for sure, but in Horsens, Copenhagen and London he was great. Great licks (Copenhagen especially), great rythm playing (Horsens especially) and great overall (London). So 4 shows and he wasn't quite up to it at one of them. Seems to me like you must get to Europe next time around mate. And I'll be seeing you there. smiling smiley
He played great on the SW/UJ tour, though a bit Claptonish for me. He was never better than 94/95 I think. 97/98 was great too. Licks - Only saw one show, but he was really great there. And this tour he was good too I think. Sometimes either Ronnie or Keith has downtime. So the other one picks up the slack. Catch them on a night where both are on form (Seen this a couple of times, most notably in Copenhagen last year) and you're in for the gig of your life. Keith rules.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:29

We all Know Keith. He likes once in while to say things like that..you gotta love the guy the way he is.
I bet he knows a lot more Bowie songs, and i bet he love them too.
Personallu, i really think Bowie is one of the greatest composers, singers and showman ever.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:53

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:06

chippy
All Da Young & Friendly Dudes

maybe keith holds grudges (?) is that stating the obvious? winking smiley

just a theory but.....wasn't keith hoping that the stones
would "unite" for Live Aid?....but then Mick chose to do his own thing...
......and the Jagger/Bowie song/video got some attention etc.....therefore
anything that threatens Keith's band (The Stones) becomes a target for
his criticism. ???

the Richards/Woods/Dylan thing was thrown together at the last minute...right?
Even though it was a trainwreck was this Keith's way of saying "take that!" to Mick.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-25 20:07 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:07

But Bowie rarely really connects emotionally, though does he, yes he has intellect and he has masses of talent for writing songs and singing (to a point), and unlike Keith i do enjoy more of his work than just the one song, but i think his contrived and affected vocals and the intellectualising of his art with his meticulous attention to his changes of direction and image renders him rather artificial and plastic, i feel, and that's pretty much what Keith's getting at - i don't believe the Stones share those traits, although of course Jagger especially likes to pose, but it comes down to a question of degree - with Bowie it's a pre-conceived obsession which renders sincerity very much redundant. I think David Bowie's talented but terribly overrated - Lou Reed's more the real deal wher that genre of music is concerned.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:17

... i recall the day'suffragette city' was released, some LA station dj played it 12 times in a row, thats not a typing error....... pounding the airwaves ......... the guy got fired or was promoted...

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:22

keith is a @#$%& poser as well, see his performance of you got the silver in sal

Date: April 25, 2008 20:22

soundcheck
... i recall the day'suffragette city' was released, some LA station dj played it 12 times in a row, thats not a typing error....... pounding the airwaves ......... the guy got fired or was promoted...

Suff City is my karaoke song! winking smiley

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:34

.... how about the time bowie shows up on the johnny carson show and 'stands' there and sings 'ashes to ashes'..... and afterwards there is just silence for the longest time, the camera pans carson and he was in augh like everyone in the place.....

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:53

Bowies music, is as Edward says above, more of the intellectual kind, since many years, the Stones is still music for the crotch. Altough I immensly enjoy both, things directed at your crotch feels better smiling smiley But Bowie rocks from time to time, from his later albums, I really like Heathen.
I´ve met both Bowie and the Stones, so I must say in Bowies defense, he´s a true gentleman (not that the Stones are´nt, but Bowies more accesible). Took me 35 years to meet the Stones, Bowie one week winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-25 21:37 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:57

mickijaggeroo - please excuse me for correcting your English, but it's kind of an important word in your above post. You should be using "crotch", not "crutch". Different meaning entirely. Just thought you would want to know, please don't take offense.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:57

It is Keiths right not to like Bowie. You just know that Bowie is not Keiths favorite kind of music. I would find Jaggers opinion much more intresting... as he is intrested in all kinds of music... unlike Keith.

Ofcourse Keith is wrong.
But it's like asking Bob Dylans opinion about Def Leppard lyrics.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:58

mickijaggeroo
Bowies music, is as Edward says above, more of the intellectual kind, since many years, the Stones is still music for the crutch. Altough I immensly enjoy both, things directed at your crutch feels better (except kicks and such)smiling smiley But Bowie rocks from time to time, from his later albums, I really like Heathen.
I´ve met both Bowie and the Stones, so I must say in Bowies defense, he´s a true gentleman (not that the Stones are´nt, but Bowies more accesible). Took me 35 years to meet the Stones, Bowie one week winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:03

deardoctor
keith is a @#$%& poser as well, see his performance of you got the silver in sal

I don't consider his performance of YGTS on SAL posing (though he did in many other songs - as he does these days). I remember thinking that he didn't seem to really know what to do with himself in that setting, with only a mic in his hand. I know he was performing the song towards the end of the ABB tour without guitar in hand, but the stage was bigger and he probably didn't feel as though he had to work it. For the film, he had to perform for those few minutes and looked kinda lost, roaming somewhat aimlessly.

If he didn't have an appreciation of how Mick works the stage before (which he probably did), he probably does now.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:03

Keith might have a new career, as a comedian.

Date: April 25, 2008 21:09

CindyC
mickijaggeroo - please excuse me for correcting your English, but it's kind of an important word in your above post. You should be using "crotch", not "crutch". Different meaning entirely. Just thought you would want to know, please don't take offense.

Cindy.....I've used my crotch AS a crutch. SNC aka Tripod

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:13

SNC - your wife is a lucky, lucky lady

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home