Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Keith Richards says David Bowie is 'all Pose'
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:14

Well, this comment from Keith is not a surprise for me. That's what one can expect of Keith these days.
He'd probably say the same about Jagger, if they hadn't been in the same band for 45 years. ...or come to think of it, he called Jagger a poser the other day, didn't he?
I've been re-listening to all of Bowies LPs from the 70s the last week...fantastic stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-25 21:18 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:28

I've listened to Heathen (2002) today, great album. Is Keith living on an island?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:37

barbabang
Is Keith living on an island?

yes, probably quite literally! And not coincidentally, reggae was the last new music he approved of (besides Justin Timberlake).

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:37

CindyC
mickijaggeroo - please excuse me for correcting your English, but it's kind of an important word in your above post. You should be using "crotch", not "crutch". Different meaning entirely. Just thought you would want to know, please don't take offense.

No problem, I adjusted my post.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 25, 2008 22:03

Glad someone around here is a "crotch" expert - good spot CC smiling smiley ....I'm more a "crutch" expert these days... :^)

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 22:08

Well, the joke´s on me, but that´s alright.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 25, 2008 22:10

CindyC
SNC - your wife is a lucky, lucky lady

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: April 25, 2008 23:45

I've never been a huge Bowie fan, but the man is extremely talented, and a poser he is not. I wonder about Keith sometimes!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: April 26, 2008 02:21

I find that comment Keith made very disappointing. But you can expect that from Keith. I don't think he cares what people think. Bowie is a much more talented and better living person than he is.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 26, 2008 02:53

JumpingKentFlash
melillo
JumpingKentFlash
melillo
keith has been posing since steel wheels, lets be honest

Another one who wasn't in London last year.

dont have to see him in london dude, he was posing in jersey and new york and thats enough evidence for me, thanks

You say "Let's be honest". OK. Let's. I saw 4 ABB shows. Brno he had downtime for sure, but in Horsens, Copenhagen and London he was great. Great licks (Copenhagen especially), great rythm playing (Horsens especially) and great overall (London). So 4 shows and he wasn't quite up to it at one of them. Seems to me like you must get to Europe next time around mate. And I'll be seeing you there. smiling smiley
He played great on the SW/UJ tour, though a bit Claptonish for me. He was never better than 94/95 I think. 97/98 was great too. Licks - Only saw one show, but he was really great there. And this tour he was good too I think. Sometimes either Ronnie or Keith has downtime. So the other one picks up the slack. Catch them on a night where both are on form (Seen this a couple of times, most notably in Copenhagen last year) and you're in for the gig of your life. Keith rules.

I dont mean he cant play, i said he has been posing since steel wheels , not that he hasnt played well

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 02:54

i agree with keith in that david as musician does not interest me, but being an all pose, coming form keith, is a joke

Posted by: bluestar ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:26

I can't blame Keith for not being interested in 70's and beyond music - it's so lame. Only Keith has the taste and nerve to tell it like it is - if he's asked, Led Zeppelin, the Who and Bowie, etc. just don't make it. Bowie is just a media creation who evidently fooled a lot of people.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:30

bluestar
I can't blame Keith for not being interested in 70's and beyond music - it's so lame. Only Keith has the taste and nerve to tell it like it is - if he's asked, Led Zeppelin, the Who and Bowie, etc. just don't make it. Bowie is just a media creation who evidently fooled a lot of people.

SAY WHAT?? Did you fall off a tree and hit your head on something?

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: April 26, 2008 04:38

Keith is the ultimate "poser" of rock´n roll - and we like it !!

And sorry I wouldn´t take these interviews so seriously - it´s all meant to be entertaining - I think Keith knows exactely what´s going on and appreciates all kinds of music that comes from the heart, including Bowie and so on.....

But may be he shouldn´t be so stuck in the old days and be more open to what´s going on in the music scene he once initiated.......

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 3, 2008 16:32

Listening to Bowie songs right now......I think Keith could
probably do an excellent version of CHANGES.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 20, 2008 21:54

Edward Twining
But Bowie rarely really connects emotionally, though does he, yes he has intellect and he has masses of talent for writing songs and singing (to a point), and unlike Keith i do enjoy more of his work than just the one song, but i think his contrived and affected vocals and the intellectualising of his art with his meticulous attention to his changes of direction and image renders him rather artificial and plastic, i feel, and that's pretty much what Keith's getting at - i don't believe the Stones share those traits, although of course Jagger especially likes to pose, but it comes down to a question of degree - with Bowie it's a pre-conceived obsession which renders sincerity very much redundant. I think David Bowie's talented but terribly overrated - Lou Reed's more the real deal wher that genre of music is concerned.

'Scuse me folks, I've only just now stumbled upon this discussion from three months back. I'd just say that Bowie himself has always recognised that's he's not rock-n-roll and has always loved Jagger and Iggy amongst others for being able to do that. But I wouldn't agree about lack of sincerity. When Bowie made Young Americans he was obsessed with soul music. He then picked up on German electro music such as Krauftwerk and Can which led him on to Low and Heroes. Thus I could agree that he develops what others started and does so with immaculate taste, rather than doing anythging original. He would say so himself. But I do believe that it is sincere.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 20, 2008 23:16

Bowies all pose????

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 21, 2008 06:50

I think Keith had a few and he had just come from the Rock n Roll Hall of Wax Museum

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 21, 2008 10:45

Well, in a way Keith's right. Bowie's showbizz persona depends largely on his posing and alter ego's. Whaddayathink Ziggy?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 21, 2008 12:33

keith is 100% right here.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 21, 2008 14:02

I don't know, Keith never put down our band "PUS".... not exactly sure if he ever heard us though cause we mainly played backyard BBQ's and such other events on that scale.....

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 21, 2008 15:12

Well, I've seen Bowie many times and have never known him mess up a song from being too busy posing. I couldn't say the same for Keith in recent years.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: July 21, 2008 15:17

Keith was wrong to complain about posing - though what's wrong with posing?

But he was right otherwise, in that Bowie is a lot of style (and posing) but not much substance. His earlier tracks were better, but he had some good musicians then that gave the tunes a rockier sound (eg Mick Ronson).

But I think this is the problem with someone who is just a singer, in that they are subject to abilities of the available musicians at the time. Which is why I like the Stones as you get five musicians, not just a singer plus four session musicians backing them.

This is also why my appreciation of Amy Winehouse only goes so far. If she had a band full characters just like her (!), rather than just her plus her bland backing band, they would be much better and more intersting to listen to.

Countless other singers are limited by this IMO, eg Madonna, Kylie, etc. Proper bands rule then?

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home