Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: keith solo albums
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:14

If you should buy only 1 Keith - get the live one. Most songs are from TIC, there's some Stones nuggets, and Sarah Dash burning though Time Is On My Side.

THAT is the one I'd suggest - if you're only buying one.
Live Keith at his Very Best.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stones1984 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 18:20

i got the two studio albums last week and i am totally in love with them both, really different to what i expected for some reason. keith has such a lovley voice thou, its would have been great to see him in solo concert, im so envious of anyone who did that :0) i have the palladium dvd on order so at least i will be able to watch that, if anyone has any dvd boots that they would be willing to share pls let me know, i cant trade cus i dont have anything to trade with yet but happy to pay

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 18:40

stones1984
if anyone has any dvd boots that they would be willing to share pls let me know, i cant trade cus i dont have anything to trade with yet but happy to pay

Hi 1984

This site has a very good quality DVD boot of Keith/ Winos on the Main Offender tour. As enjoyable, if not more than the Palladium show imo. A snip at $12

[www.stellarproducts.biz]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 20:07

IMO Main Offender is far superior to Talk is Cheap. Better songs, better grooves and riffs......it easily can be seen as the predecessor to Voodoo Lounge, on which he must have used the same guitars because the sound is VERY similar, and since VL is my all-time favorite Stones album, it only follows that MO would be my favorite Solo album! 999, Eileen, Wicked As It Seems, Runnin Too Deep are all classics!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 1, 2008 18:01

Any chance of Keith's 1977 Toronto tapes seeing the light?

Have any been bootlegged or re-recorded for Stones albums or appeard on compilations. I believe they were a mixture of his own work and standards, some country ones.

Would be fascinating to hear 'em

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 1, 2008 19:34

CharliMoon
I'm sure I'm in the minority with my opinion here, but I really have to admit I prefer Main Offender to Talk Is Cheap. (......)
And then, of course, Eileen. A keith solo classic, I'd say. Demon is great as well.

Well - I'd like to join the minority, then. I think MO is the stronger album - though they are both very strong in their own way. I think MO has more of a band feel,it sounds more like Keef and the Winos are developing a sound of their own - as opposed to sounding like Stones without Jagger. (Which is funny in a way because of Jagger's solos I prefer "Wandering Spirit" which IMHO is his most stonesy effort).

However - "Eileen" is one song I could never get my ears wrapped around.I think it is pretty weak and incosistent with the rest of the mood on MO. But by the looks of the other posts this put me in an even smaller minority >grinning smiley<

"Demon" is a killer track, thoughthumbs up

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 1, 2008 19:48

Yes, Demon is great too. Really to me the weakest track on Main Offender is Body Talks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 1, 2008 21:51

I think Body Talks' got lots of groove. I think Will But You Won't is the weakest on the album. I never got that one.

But I think 999, Words Of Wonder, Wicked As It Seems, Hate It When You Leave and Yap Yap are the strongest numbers on MO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 23:29 by GuĂ°ni Gunnarsson.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 1, 2008 22:02

mofur
I think MO has more of a band feel,it sounds more like Keef and the Winos are developing a sound of their own - as opposed to sounding like Stones without Jagger.

yeah, I think so too. Talk Is Cheap comes closer to being a mixed-bag, different guest-star on every cut kind of solo album, in the later mold of Santana. Not that it is that kind of album--there's a core sound and set of songs--but it hints at that kind.

Date: May 1, 2008 22:37

boy i remember december 1988 seeing keith and the winos at the brendan byrne arena .what a smoking hot show ,what a great band ,waddy wachtel on guitar, johnnie johnson on the piano and im almost positive the man himself bobby keys on sax .two stones songs that night ,before the make me run which was the first time i heard keith sing and our favorite HAPPY.this was so good i hope keith at some point hits the road with the winos or the barbarians which i did not have a chance to see play.talk about a day and night difference with mick's solo work !keith rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 2, 2008 03:53

Get "All The Kings Men" off amazon cheap. Keith and Levon Helms song "Deuce And A Quarter" is worth the price of the whole cd!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 2, 2008 03:58

'Main Offender' is less consistent in songwriting than 'Talk Is Cheap', but more consistent in mood. I definitely prefer the production of the former - it's richer and more "live" sounding. But they're fine albums, if both in need of a little trimming. It is easy to spot the gap in songwriting w/out Mick and the Stones; organic as it is, many songs on each album seem a tad unfinished. But unlike some Stones projects and much of Mick's solo stuff, the work feels true and honest. Keith thru and thru indeed.

The live record is a fun, slightly sloppy account of one live night with the Winos. There have beet better bootleg representations, IMO, but it's solid & carefree, even without the dynamics of a fine Stones show.

I agree with most of the posters here - get 'em all, and seek out some boots as well.

Re: Keith solo albums
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 2, 2008 10:44

>> Any chance of Keith's 1977 Toronto tapes seeing the light?
Have any been bootlegged <<

yes, they've been bootlegged quite widely, except for two unverified numbers.
they include no original stuff, all covers.
Keith also regularly performed two of the tunes - Apartment Number 9 and Worried Life Blues -
on the New Barbarians tour; they're on the official Barbarians CD (Buried Alive);
and another one - Say Its Not You - he did as a duet with George Jones
on an album called The Bradley Barn Sessions.

as for his guest appearances: yeah Deuce and a Quarter is a beauty!
so is Oh Lord Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb on Me, on a CD called Weird Nightmare.
so are his contributions to Tom Waits's albums. and so on. thanks & praises Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 12:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 2, 2008 12:30

Many thanks sssoul for your very full reply. Perhaps one day some of the numbers will be done for an "official" release

Date: May 4, 2008 23:03

Hi,sssoul!! I forgot about that great "Atomic Bomb" song. But wasnt "Say Its Not You" on the George Jones duets album? I think "You Win Again" went on the Hank cd(But I could be trippin' again)! jlowe, I think the 77 sessions are floating around for download, but if you cant find it let me know-maybe I can hook you up.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 4, 2008 23:24

the final version of VL can't compete in my opinion with both TIC and MO. Both VL and BTB don't do much to me, although not as bad as SW. Both TIC and MO are very pure rock albums. The VL sessions are mosre interesting to learn more about Keith. The Toronto sessions is a great release too, excellend sound too.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 4, 2008 23:27

At the time of Mick's Wandering Spirit all Stones had real good solo CD's out!

I burned 1 or 2 CD's from tracks off Mick's W. Spirit, Ron's great Slide on this and Keith two studio albums.

That was a fantastic mix!Heard it lots of times. Great stuff !!

Date: May 4, 2008 23:35

I've been listening to a Talk Is Cheap outtake called "She Put The Mark On Me". I think it's in one of UrbanSteel's posts.

Anyway, it's really cool track and it would have been nice to hear it finished. An excellent riff there.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2008 03:55

I also prefer Main Offender to Talk Is Cheap, although I like TIC as well.

Hate It When You Leave is the best song Keith has written in the last 30 years.

However, the Toronto solo sessions from early 1977 remains my favourite recording of any Stones solo material. In fact, its better than any Stones studio bootlegs and its certainly in my top 3 or 4 of ALL the 'unofficial' Stones material I own.

Date: May 5, 2008 04:00

scottkeef
Hi,sssoul!! I forgot about that great "Atomic Bomb" song. But wasnt "Say Its Not You" on the George Jones duets album? I think "You Win Again" went on the Hank cd(But I could be trippin' again)! jlowe, I think the 77 sessions are floating around for download, but if you cant find it let me know-maybe I can hook you up.

Youre correct. Its "You Win Again" on the Hank tribute CD

Date: May 5, 2008 05:43

Hey Gazza! Wass up, my buddy? And TIC is best on vinyl!!

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 5, 2008 15:09

I"m being unfair to Mick J there is One great song ,Party Doll (Mary Chapin Carpenters) cover wasnt bad either.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 5, 2008 16:07

NME's Terry Staunton took Keith's "Talk Is Cheap" to the cleaners with a 3/10 rating. Well he WOULD wouldn't he!

...while Q Magazine aren't exactly in raptures over the live video:

Date: May 5, 2008 16:30

Too Rude and Time Is On My Side slaughtered???

Priceless smiling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 6, 2008 07:04

>boy i remember december 1988 seeing keith and the winos at the brendan byrne arena .what a smoking hot show ,what a great band ,waddy wachtel on guitar, johnnie johnson on the piano and im almost positive the man himself bobby keys on sax

And the Replacements sang Happy Birthday for Keith!

To whoever posed the question I would add to the comments above: seek out the EILEEN ep. It's got 3 great live tracks (including Keith singing "Gimme Shelter"!) and "Keys To The Highway".

Date: May 6, 2008 12:03

IMO, TIC has much better songs albumwise. Songs like Hate It When You Leave, 999 and Wicked As It Seems are fantastic, but IMO, songs like Will but you won't and Running Too Deep are fillers compared to Struggle, It Means A Lot, You Don't Move Me and other rockers on TIC.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 7, 2008 10:17

>> But wasnt "Say Its Not You" on the George Jones duets album? I think "You Win Again" went on the Hank cd <<

yeah, of course - sorry, i must have been checking to see if anyone was paying attention. :E
you win some popcorn. again :E i'll edit that to avoid misleading future readers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 12:37 by with sssoul.

Date: May 7, 2008 15:04

scottkeef
Hey Gazza! Wass up, my buddy? And TIC is best on vinyl!!

aaahhh.. I love TIC too..dont get me wrong.

Never heard it on vinyl. I'd just bought my first CD player about 2 weeks before the album came out, so it was actually the first Stones CD of any kind I owned in that format.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:30

Alas, another victim of Philips and Sony ;^)
I worked in the HiFi industry througout the 80s and early 90s.
Spent much of that time trying to talk people out of buying those horrible CD player thingies ;^)

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: May 7, 2008 20:27

to bad they where not stones albums...would have been great...btw...they are both great

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home