Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How Keith Makes My Friends Laugh
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 8, 2008 12:55

DandelionPowderman
Quote:
DandelionPowderman

Well, to put it shortly - he's playing less notes and saves his fingers. And he's not using the blues scale properly anymore - as he used to (....)Today he only uses a couple of strings and a pattern he feels comfortable with. When he plays Berry-licks it's easier because he slides more than he bends. That is harder playing with single strings.

Not so easy to explain - sorry smiling smiley

still not quite shure what you mean. why isnt he using a pattern with the right notes then? he could even play the right notes on ONE string. it's really kind of a mistery to me, why he keeps on playing those licks that sound just terrible! he still nails the rhythm parts most of the time like no one else. but please keith: stop playing those out of key/time licks that lets you sound like a fool!

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: April 8, 2008 12:58

The mix is kind of wierd but I guess it has to do with pictures. I have only heard Shine a light but I believe the mix works different when I get to see it.

Another thing is that Stones has always been off. Most of their work has never been in sync with time but after a couple of years most people realize the quality in the work.

Anyway I agree that both playing and singing is no longer as strong as it used to be but I don't think I know any other artist to peek in their 60'ies.

Date: April 8, 2008 13:23

<still not quite shure what you mean. why isnt he using a pattern with the right notes then? he could even play the right notes on ONE string. it's really kind of a mistery to me, why he keeps on playing those licks that sound just terrible! he still nails the rhythm parts most of the time like no one else. but please keith: stop playing those out of key/time licks that lets you sound like a fool!>

He's not playing out of key, but he "lands" on bum notes from time to time that are out of key. The pattern is a small part of the pentatonic scale.

The reason for not using the pattern "with the right notes" may be that then he has to use the heavier strings. Maybe his fingers can't take that?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 8, 2008 15:36

DandelionPowderman
<I just don't like to see the all the stereotypical explanations for what Keith may or may not do/be able to do trotted out ad infinitum.>

You go ahead and play with that fingers...

And this aint a crisp picture either

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 8, 2008 15:46

Just heard SFTD on SAL cd- it ain't THAT bad!

Sure Keith uses very minimal notes and repeats them etc etc but to my ears it still sounds in time and it feels ok. Plus Ronnie rescues it slightly towards the end of the second solo.

It is clearly not 89/90-Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle version but it is not the trainwreck that i was expecting after seeing some of the comments on this board.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: April 8, 2008 16:14

it`s obvious keith is not playing the same way he did, SFTD should be out of the playlist since 1990. But for instance i was amazed by the way he plays she was hot. Very very good. So, keith cant `play certain solos anymore and that is natural. he is not the same person he was when he had 20, 30 or 40 years old.

Date: April 8, 2008 16:17

exactly.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 8, 2008 16:29

Been a Stonesfan forever. But I'm really getting mad about Keith.

Live most of the time I just can't listen to him anymore.
Only on Berry'esque riffs like M. Rambler he still delivers.
His solos are nothing but embarassing!
Man, you just don't move me anymore . .

I mean he's still playin to huge audiences and takes a lot of money for it.
So he should care a bit.

Apart from this the mix on SAL is very bad in parts although I really like some of the stuff! Dunno whether it's from the playin as well but there are real holes in the sound.
That never happened before on a Stones live album and they had so much time to work on this one!

Date: April 8, 2008 17:02

<And this aint a crisp picture either>

How crisp do you want it? smiling smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 8, 2008 17:09

Lots of theories here. Only Keith himself knows the answer to all this. What troubles me is. as mentioned in an earlier post, that he doesn't lay down a rhythm guitar when playing in standard tuning. He also soloes during Ronnies lead parts (which is quite annoying...).
I Don't expect him to get better and better, and he still delievers performances that makes me proud of having him as my all time guitar hero! Remember this is the man who recorded the original SFTD solo which is regarded as one of the best guitar solos ever!
He is the riffmaster, and I hope he still can make us some killer riffs!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 8, 2008 17:51

audun-eg wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------

He also solos during Ronnies lead parts (which is quite annoying...).

Very annoying when he did that during Ronnie's first solo part in Some Girls. Must be very tough for Ron too.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 8, 2008 17:53

I do like Connection. It's my bandmates that think it stinks. Although I like the tune I do agree with them in a way - it's not a very good song. I do like the Winos live version better.

My bandmates, they dig the Stones. They're still doing it. They're still going. It's just that there are some moments that are very questionable with, of all people, Keith. Do I like his singing? Yes. But Little T&A is terrible. I know Keith's solo on the record of SFTD is stunning. But live it's become a very poor choice of notes. F*cking hell, Ronnie is playing lines that we haven't heard since Love You Live on that tune!

Faraway Eyes - Keith lays some clams in that one too! There was a lot of laughter listening to Shine A Light. And it wasn't all Keith either. Mick got a few guffaws. His rushing of things, his nasaly delivery of things. So not Mick.

Somewhere there was a shift - Ronnie got better - or just woke up and got to be what he really is - a really good guitar player - and Keith is still cruising and being loaded enough to where it's somewhat of a mystery what he's doing on some songs.

He's a mess on Sympathy in the solo and lead lines but then comes along Midnight Rambler or Street Fighting Man or Monkey Man or whatever - rhythm riff induced tunes - and Keith is absolutely flawless. But give him a solo or some lead lines and it's just an abomination. What he does in She Was Hot is pretty bad. The leads, not the riffs.

And to say Keith's solo in Sympathy isn't that bad - you're right - so flip it over: It's not good. It's plainly obvious. He does that same line on almost every song.

It's all there in Shine A Light. I have all their live albums and some boots and blah blah blah and never has Keith sounded so off. It's very revealing. I don't need to get new friends. They just pointed out the obvious.

Date: April 8, 2008 17:54

barbabang
audun-eg wrote:

Very annoying when he did that during Ronnie's first solo part in Some Girls. Must be very tough for Ron too.

I bet Ronnie doesn't dare telling the old cat to lay off eitherwinking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 8, 2008 18:14

So some think his playing on SAL stinks

What does anyone think of his playing on the Austin DVD filmed only a week earlier.
Learning the Game rocked
Get Off My Cloud!
Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Keith did a great great job in Austin....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 8, 2008 18:20

audun-eg
barbabang
audun-eg wrote:

I bet Ronnie doesn't dare telling the old cat to lay off eitherwinking smiley

i get the feeling that RW has to bite his tongue often.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 8, 2008 19:21

Munichhilton
So some think his playing on SAL stinks

What does anyone think of his playing on the Austin DVD filmed only a week earlier.
Learning the Game rocked
Get Off My Cloud!
Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Keith did a great great job in Austin....

Well, of course, Learning The Game was good---it was in Open-G and Keith is slashing away at chords...there were no solos or noodling around. Keith can still nail down guitar work in Open g.

I would say since the Licks tour--Keith has begun trampling over Ronnie's solos. It's unbelievable...is Keith confusing this for "weaving"? Because it's hardly weaving when you hear two gutiarists trying to play 2 complete solos at the SAME TIME. Weaving is Ronnie playing a solo while Keith comes in bit by bit to fill in some gaps....and vice versa.

There were times during SAL when I was completely overwhelmed by all the notes flying around. My ears couldn't focus on who to listen to because when the weave is going good---I can definitely listen to both and it's beautiful.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 8, 2008 20:03

Justin

I would say since the Licks tour--Keith has begun trampling over Ronnie's solos. It's unbelievable...is Keith confusing this for "weaving"? Because it's hardly weaving when you hear two gutiarists trying to play 2 complete solos at the SAME TIME..

i think he tries to hide that he hasnt got a clue what to play sometimes. and then he just plays some fills, even if its in the middle of ronnies solo. it is really annoying. i think its an ok trick to cover blackouts from time to time, but then at least they should somehow fit and be in key. what also bothers me, is that in those moments he seems to be without any sense of music. i mean, you can play very few notes, but if you play them right they sound cool. but instead he keeps on repeating those hilarious wrong notes played without any feeling and any phrasing....sadsadsad.
but at the same time all that is forgotten when he nails an opening riff like no one else in the world!

Date: April 8, 2008 20:07

And that is why Keith should stick with being the Riff Master. Forget those silly one lick solo lines over and over - let Ronnie tear off. Get back to the riffage.

We need riffs. We need licks. That is what we want.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 8, 2008 20:08

I dunno. Anytime I say anything honest about how I feel about Keith's state, I get totally slammed here by people - as if I'm talking personal trash about them. I find that just weird.

But I 'll say this - I don't find anything funny about how Keith plays these days, and I won't even 'go there' about his singing. This has NOTHING to do with my respect for him. He was the man, and his legacy echoes so strongly that he could just smile, wave and proclaim how good it is to be in any location - and I'd accept it.

My friends think he's a pathetic joke, and they tell me often. That pisses me off! Anytime a non-fan 'goes there' - lookout!!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 8, 2008 20:19

I don't see anything wrong with expressing concern and disgust for what you see or hear. Respect is one thing - the truth is another. I respect Keith tremendously. It's just he's gotten lazy, sloppy and very messy and it really shows.

And people are noticing big time. Someone thinks Keith is great on SAL without actually admitting he doesn't do anything original within the contexts of his lead lines and how bad some of them are then they are just being Disney about it. It's a hard reality. No one is saying - I think - he should quit. Just sharpen up. That is the wish. We all know he is the king of riffs. And his lead playing has gotten dull.
That does not constitute not being a fan. There are no rules to being a fan. It's no different than saying that, for example, Their Satanic Majesties Request is a clunker of an album and Emotional Rescue isn't that far behind. And so on.

Doesn't mean The Rolling Stones suck.

They're human.

Date: April 8, 2008 20:27

guitarbastard
Justin

I would say since the Licks tour--Keith has begun trampling over Ronnie's solos. It's unbelievable...is Keith confusing this for "weaving"? Because it's hardly weaving when you hear two gutiarists trying to play 2 complete solos at the SAME TIME..

i think he tries to hide that he hasnt got a clue what to play sometimes. and then he just plays some fills, even if its in the middle of ronnies solo.

Been suspecting the same, but haven't had the nerve to say so. But then again; could that be because he's stone/drunk or he doesn't care to rehearse the songs?
Often noticed that during breaks that has other chords than the standard riff / chord section, he often wonders about, or doesn't play at all.

P.S totally agree with the fact that Keef doesn't need to play a single note anymore. His legacy's stronger than anyones, but it's always that "Gimme a glimmer" once more! (He surely still does with the open g riffs!)

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: April 8, 2008 20:36

But Keith does his noodling and playing around on songs that are not exactly rare or even hard. "Let it Bleed" ""Just My Imagination" or "Sympathy" are not songs that would be considered difficult songs that would suffer from lack of rehearsal.

The differnce with Keith before and now is that before: Keith LED the band and it felt like they played along with him. Now, there are moments where Keith is playing TO the band--and not leading it. The band is playing and he simply plays along with them.

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: April 8, 2008 20:38

Keith's playing has been discussed/debated on this board for well over two years.Before the references were boots and reports from live performances. Now we have it captured on a pristine soundtrack and I agree that for whatever reason(s) he is essentially repeating the same licks and fills in quite a few songs. But give him a blues number like Champagne and Reefer or the Berryesque tunes and he sounds fine. Who knows why it's happened and if it just happens on a given night or if it's every performance. If it's an ongoing permanent problem hopefully he and the band will adjust to it so that they can sound as good as they can. I don't think it has anything to do with being lazy, bored or sloppy. He has never been(aside from the famous SFTD solo) particularly well known for his lead guitar work and now that aspect of his playing is worse.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 8, 2008 20:43

that same bendable riff???? like Honky tonk...lol......its 2008 bro....
be glad we still got em....

Date: April 8, 2008 20:44

oldfan
But give him a blues number like Champagne and Reefer or the Berryesque tunes and he sounds fine.

He's barely heard anywhere on Champagne and Reefer though. Buddy took all the solos (as he should). Even so, yes, Keith can still laydown a great blues rhythm but even when they started playing "Rock Me Baby" on Licks---I expected so much more from his solo and fills and thus began his decline. His solos were inconsistent and repetitive. But yes, all the Berresque songs he still excells wonderfully. He's using more than one string usually and it sounds fuller and fatter. Berry solos are still as good as it always was, strangely enough.

Another issue is that Keith's guitar is WAAAAY too clean. There's nothing worse than having a couple bad notes echo in a completely clean guitar sound. Can't he distort it just a little bit just to give it a little bit more of a specific sound? That black Gibson sounds almost as clean as BB King playing...

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 8, 2008 20:46

yes and that darn same old back beat that charlie hits...my friends think that is funny...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 8, 2008 20:55

You guys mentioned some points that I think are very valid and in contrary to others I just don't see it as disrespectful or regard it as "bashing" to discuss Keith's playing.

What annoys me very much is that he hardly plays rhythm at all anymore and all he does is repeating the same solos and riffs over and over again, no matter what song they are playing. There are some exceptions, PIB, BS, SMU - basically the really big warhorses, I guess he could play them in his sleep.

I assume fingers are the reason for his repetitive solos, but what I don't understand is why he doesn't let Ronnie play the solos. It is highly annoying that he sometimes also starts his solos exactly when Ronnie starts his, or when it is completely out of place.

What I don't get either, is that he doesn't at least think of different solos for songs where the Berry style is really not fitting, such as "I'm Free" or "Just My Imagination".

Ronnie is really playing extremely well on SAL, in my opinion, and if Keith focused more on rhythm, the overall sound would just be MUCH better. But I guess this is also a question of his (big) ego...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 8, 2008 21:10

skipstone
I don't see anything wrong with expressing concern and disgust for what you see or hear. Respect is one thing - the truth is another. I respect Keith tremendously. It's just he's gotten lazy, sloppy and very messy and it really shows.

Hey... I'm with ya. It tends to personally offend people here though for some reason. Then, it gets kinda wierd. I mean, if unless your name is Keith Richards, why take it as a personal attack - then counter it with blatantly rude direct remarks at the one who's offereing their opnion???

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 8, 2008 21:24

oldfan
I don't think it has anything to do with being lazy, bored or sloppy. He has never been(aside from the famous SFTD solo) particularly well known for his lead guitar work and now that aspect of his playing is worse.

We totally agree on Keef never beeing an outstanding leadguitarist, technically. But he had soul and touch to his playing. The major concern is, however, that he almost never lays down a rock solid rythm-pattern anymore. And the fact that he isn't the boss on stage these days! On the 89/90, 94/95, 97/98 tours, (all the previous tours too, for that matter) Keith was the musical director, the man, so self confident, the master of his own music that was the spine in the stones entire performance. Nowadays you can even see Charlie smiling a little at the masters bummers. Charlie has even stated that he has to have Chuck in his monitors, besides Keith. Earlier he only had to hear what Keith was doing.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 8, 2008 21:38

Keith Richards is a rhythm guitarist, for the sake of order.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home