Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Japanese SHM Shine A Light with bonus track "Undercover Of The Night"
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: March 20, 2008 23:35

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 13:27 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Japanese SHM Shine A Light with bonus track "Undercover Of The Night"
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 21, 2008 00:51

Thanks Jos ,
but the question is WHY do the Japanese get bonus tracks .

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 21, 2008 00:58

I don't know if it's true but I was told that for imported CDs are cheaper in Japan than their domestic (Japanese) counterpart -- so they add a bonus track to encourage the Japanese to buy the locally-produced product rather than the EU or US version.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:57

@Glam
In my days in the promised land of the rising sun this was the case.
For Live Licks you could get a copy protected double CD without the bonus track, and you could get a not copy protected double CD with a bonus track. The first thing would be like 2200 yen, the second thing about 2600 yen.
The "Shine a light" with bonus track is not shown when you type rolling stones or shine a light in the search box at amazon.co.jp. That's because the title is written in a Japanese transcription, that does not use the normal alphabet, but so-called Katakana. But it is there, and again this version is more expensive. So indeed it seems that the Japanese versions are more expensive.
Also the japanese versions contain the lyrics to all songs. Even in the Japanese version of "Never mind" I once found that he doesn't sing "I feel stupid, it's contagious.".
But then, it's not all because in Japan many other stuff is available that you can't get over in Europe. Another example would be that box set with all the RS studio albums from 1971-1981.
Probably Toru A knows more about it.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:03

Glam...I'm 100% sure you are correct....peter

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 21, 2008 12:06

Glam's explanation makes sense.

Imported one is about JPY2920 (without a bonus track).

Regular-Double-CD...JPY3300
[www.hmv.co.jp]

SHM-CD...JPY3800 with trading card
[www.hmv.co.jp]

Both editions have Undercover Of The Night as a bonus.
Undercover Of The Night will also be a bonus track for iTune downloaders. (for all regions, I believe..)

But, release date of SAL is rescheduled to Apr 9 in Japan.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2008 12:17

okay, i figured it out, sort of!
went ahead and ordered it too, just to see what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-21 20:21 by with sssoul.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: March 21, 2008 13:12

Whale

For Live Licks you could get a copy protected double CD without the bonus track, and you could get a not copy protected double CD with a bonus track.

Didn't know there was a bonus tracks for the japanese edition of Live Lick!
Just bought this missing gem right now!

Always happy to learn things there.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 21, 2008 13:31

If the bonus track (Undercover of the Night) is on iTunes...hopefully
it can be purchased separately..not as complete album purchase.

I buy many iTunes tracks but when it comes to Stones releases...I tend
to purchase the actual cd.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 14:16

Just noticed that there is also a Scorcese intro on the Japanese one as well...

Date: March 21, 2008 14:43

And just wondering, as I'm shopping around HMV, does anyone have the new version of 40 Licks that has removed She's A Rainbow and added the Neptunes Remix of Sympathy instead????

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 21, 2008 15:59

How annoying - these Japanese bonus tracks really piss me off cause they're always non - war horse songs I really like. SAL has UNDERCOVER as mentioned above and LIVE LICKS had IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME - both favs of mine. How about making START ME UP a bonus track and giving us the hardly ever played live songs..... You gotta mix it/you gotta fix it/if it's bonus tracks/it's a BITCH.....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 21, 2008 16:08

This is ridiculous and annoying!

Date: March 21, 2008 16:19

HelterSkelter
How annoying - these Japanese bonus tracks really piss me off cause they're always non - war horse songs I really like. SAL has UNDERCOVER as mentioned above and LIVE LICKS had IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME - both favs of mine.

Don't talk me about that... a nightmare!
"No Security" has "Just Wanna Make Love To You", "Goddess" has "If Things Could Be Different", Alfie has another version of "Old Habits", etc...
Those japanese edition are the only one to get.

I even don't talk about the first pressing of "Undercover" with the different "Wanna Hold You", the great "first album" with the extended version of "Tell Me", the second album, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-21 16:25 by mitch.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 21, 2008 16:42

Wow mitch, I had no idea it goes that deep.... they should put out a RARITIES 2 for us non Japanese fans... sounds like there'd be at least a CD full of songs... THINK I'M GOING MAD can also be slapped on there.....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 21, 2008 16:55

Didn't Flashpoint have Angie? not sure....but I think I have it (mp3)
thanks to UrbanSteel. go to the buy/sell/trade side...UrbanSteel can fill
in the blanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: March 21, 2008 16:56

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 13:29 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 21, 2008 17:39

That's quite a collection of, ha ha, legal tracks! Does anyone have Harlem Shuffle? It's got to be pretty good since the July 7 boot is pretty good and they did a great job of that tune that tour.

Funny how the bootleg would spell Gimme Shelter wrong both times - it's not a boot unless something is spelled wrong somewhere.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 21, 2008 17:48

There is a great bootleg out there called Out Of Control that has all the above songs, or at least all of them up through 1998.

Date: March 21, 2008 18:05

Lostpoint is also a great boot that compiles all the tracks found on the several Flashpoint singles... 13 tracks.
To put on the shelve beside Flashpoint.

Date: March 21, 2008 19:00

X

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 13:29 by UrbanSteel.

Date: March 21, 2008 19:33

@Urbansteel
I stand defeated in the face of so much accuracy.
But like on most records it says gimme, right? Or am I a total retard?
Can't check it now, will check some other time.

Date: March 21, 2008 19:37

so for you collectors out there, do you buy the Japanese version, the regular 2CD version, and the single cd version too? I was just going to get the latter 2, but now I'll substitute the regular version for the Japanese one. I've never gotten the Japanese Licks - 40 or Live, Bridges, or Security because by the time I'd found out, I'd already bought the US version and couldn't see spending the $X for the one song.

I'd be interested to hear what others do - I know given the pictures I've seen from some collections that there are those that do buy them all.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 21, 2008 19:41

>>Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones Songfacts- Originally the title was spelt "Gimmie Shelter" but Mick's handwriting was awful and the record company missed the "i".<<

doesn't really make sense--why would they get it right the first time, but not later? The first time is when "the record company" would have been supposedly reading mick's handwriting, and sure enough, in the pictures it's spelled mick's supposed way. But "gimme" is a more sensible and accepted spelling for the contraction anyhow (why insert an "i" into "me"?).

Date: March 21, 2008 19:45

X

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 21, 2008 19:56

VoodooLounge13
so for you collectors out there, do you buy the Japanese version, the regular 2CD version, and the single CD version too? I was just going to get the latter 2, but now I'll substitute the regular version for the Japanese one. I've never gotten the Japanese Licks - 40 or Live, Bridges, or Security because by the time I'd found out, I'd already bought the US version and couldn't see spending the $X for the one song.

I'd be interested to hear what others do - I know given the pictures I've seen from some collections that there are those that do buy them all.
I have managed to get the Japanese No Security and Bridges to Babylon off ebay at a reasonable cost , Keith's Main Offender had Keys To The Highway as a bonus in Japan , managed to get that track on Eileen EP though , got a Japanese version of Alfie soundtrack but there is no bonus on my copy , was meant to be Old Habits ' with Sheryl Crow but it's not on there.
Whilst we are on about bonus tracks ,What is to story behind Ronnnie's Slide On Live my original copy is a jewel case UK version with 13 tracks , there is however a 15 track version in circulation , I though I had bought one last year but when it turned it was just the 13 track version in a digipack even though seller had listed 15 tracks, he did in all fairness refund my money when I pointed out the discrepancy,
Does anybody know where this 15 track version originates from

Date: March 21, 2008 19:56

@voodoolounge
I got the jap one, but I think I paid something like 40 euros with delivery included.
And then, it's gonna take a few days before it's here, and it'll already be here in the recordshops and I'm gonna have to resist and so on.

Date: March 21, 2008 20:02

I have the Eileen EP too. That's a great song - I actually put it on my Keef Greatest Hits compilation. My Alfie version has the Sheryl Crow song on it - now I don't remember where I got it. I think I ordered it online, as I was having trouble finding it locally. I'll have to check how many songs are on my Slide On Live.

Date: March 21, 2008 20:08

X

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 21, 2008 20:11

A couple of random comments:

GS on the original vinyl LIB is spelled "Gimmie". The second "i" was dropped (accidentally?) by the Maylses when the movie came out, and it's been that way ever since.

I did not see anyone mention that B2B has a bonus track on the Japanese version, a live version "Angie".

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home