Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Undercover
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 14, 2008 03:05

Yet another appreciation for this album... Am working late tonight and have this on. I LOVE this album!!!!!! Always have, always will. I stand by my position that it has many of the most brilliantly arranged and composed tunes they've ever done. Considering what else was happening in rock and roll in 1983, this album could have been a total disaster... but it triumphs. Great to listen to loud, great all around.

Re: Undercover
Date: March 14, 2008 03:22

I agree but,it is not quite as good as Exile.It does have other things going for it though.

I'm sure that people are foolishly going to jump in and trash Undercover because it is not from the '60's (Flowers is so great etc... and other b.s.) but,I sure as heck would rather hear the tracks from Undercover than junk like "Who's Been Sleeping Here?","Sittin' On A Fence" and the lot.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 14, 2008 03:45

Well Flowers does have some great stuff on it (Backstreet Girl, Ride On Baby etc.) but Undercover is a good album. All The Way Down is probably my favorite from the album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-15 03:05 by FrankM.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: March 14, 2008 03:51

it is by far the bands most underated album.

Date: March 14, 2008 03:59

all the way down is awesome. undercover is way better than dirty work

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 14, 2008 04:08

Thief, Frank, Ket and Keef-- Thank you for agreeing with me on the greatness of this record.

Occasionally, I need reassurance that there are other folks out there who love this album.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 14, 2008 04:14

I played the album over and over during months, I love every song, their most underrated album ever. Along with parts of Dirty Work, the last album from the old Stones.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 14, 2008 07:41

God this is a great disc. I remember playing it over and over again in College, so happy to hear a darker more dense disc...thought Tattoo You was a bit too glossy, and Emotional Rescue didn't rock enough...Undercover has a heavier guitar sound to it, and some very dark interesting undercurrents. Great disc! Love Tie You Up, and All the Way Down.

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: March 14, 2008 09:40

Any album that has Too Tough on it has to be a great album. I love all the songs on this one. The only Stones albums I hate are TSMR and Between The Buttons........1967 was a bad year for them, they should have skipped it all together(and see what happend).

Date: March 14, 2008 10:03

Undercover
She Was Hot
Tie You Up
Feel On Baby
Too Much Blood
Pretty Beat Up
Too Tough
All The Way Down

All great, great songs!

Date: March 14, 2008 10:06

yapyap5
Any album that has Too Tough on it has to be a great album. I love all the songs on this one. The only Stones albums I hate are TSMR and Between The Buttons........1967 was a bad year for them, they should have skipped it all together(and see what happend).

i like both 1967 albums

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 14, 2008 10:12

This is some panegyric thread. Well, you donĀ“t fool me...

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: March 14, 2008 10:14

Good deal for you. Wish I did, but just can't. I've tried, but its quite useless. Certain songs on TSMR are ok, but BTB is a total waste of time, the only really bad album, from start to finish, that they ever made. It has a Kazoo on it! Miss Amanda Jones, they put you in sorry company,it must suck being you.

Date: March 14, 2008 10:43

All Sold Out is great, but the album in general is poor, IMO. I'm talking about the original UK version without the tossed in hits.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: March 14, 2008 10:56

Sorry, I can't agree, Undercover and Dirty Work is in my opinion the weakest Stones albums. Of'couse Undercover has it's moments, but the best thing about it was the videos they made at that time, they are among the best in history.

Date: March 14, 2008 12:04

yapyap5
Good deal for you. Wish I did, but just can't. I've tried, but its quite useless. Certain songs on TSMR are ok, but BTB is a total waste of time, the only really bad album, from start to finish, that they ever made. It has a Kazoo on it! Miss Amanda Jones, they put you in sorry company,it must suck being you.

"connection", "all sold out", "complicated", "please go home" and "back street girl" are all great tunes. of course if you get the american version "lets spend the night together" and "ruby tuesday" are great but they removed 2 of the great songs.

TSMR is just awesome. i use to think it was horribly bad but i listened to it again and the only song i don't think is good is "on with the show" which sounds like a lame ripoff of "magical mystery tour"

Date: March 14, 2008 12:32

I forgot Connection and Backstreet Girl. Both great songs.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 14, 2008 20:38

Yet another appreciation for this album... Am working late tonight and have this on. I HATE this album!!!!!! I just realize that The Stones were nowhere, lost their touch during those years, troubled thousands of fans, were unable to produce a decent song, released trendy and "stupid" clips. Hopefully, the next decade would change that.

Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: March 14, 2008 20:46

The last GREAT Stones album!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 14, 2008 20:51

Undercover is an excellent album - lots of different things going on all over this lot. Perhaps one of their more inventive albums? In terms of what all is going on, it is all used wisely.

She Was Hot, Tie You Up, All The Way Down and Too Tough - excellent. The rest are pretty damn good too. Their last true adventure in the studio.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 14, 2008 20:56

She Was Hot, Tie You Up, All The Way Down and Too Tough - excellent.

I agree, skip!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: March 14, 2008 22:24

I agree three! Love the crunchy guitars on this one.
also Feel On baby & Wanna Hold you.
Wonder why it was not bigger of a hit. Coming off TY you would think that people would be hungry for the Stones two years later. And they updated their sound for the 80s with a harder rock sound etc. that I think would have a broader appeal. I guess it did not work but don't know why not.
(Somebody it going to say that it is obvious the songs are not good - but compared to what else was around in 1983 (not compared to '72) I don't think that is valid)

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:04

By the time Undercover (nov '83) was released, it was a huge disappointment. But 25 years later, it's really enjoyable (All The Way Down is a great song), much better than anything else they have released since then.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:47

livewithme
Wonder why it was not bigger of a hit. Coming off TY you would think that people would be hungry for the Stones two years later. And they updated their sound for the 80s with a harder rock sound etc. that I think would have a broader appeal. I guess it did not work but don't know why not.
(Somebody it going to say that it is obvious the songs are not good - but compared to what else was around in 1983 (not compared to '72) I don't think that is valid)

Some big albums were at their peak at the time: Thriller, Can't Slow Down and Synchronicity. The timing of release was wrong and the Stones were not that hot anymore.

Back to the album, even the band had a new appreciation recently: Undercover Of The Night, She Was Hot and Wanna Hold You were played on the last tour and Pretty Beat Up was rehearsed too.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:53

Only like the title track and Wanna Hold You. Can't stand She Was Hot, the rest seems mediocre. And I like 70% of Dirty Work a lot, go figure. I guess I'll get pretty beat up on this board for that comment, ha ha.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: March 15, 2008 05:01

yapyap5

Agree 100% about Too Tough. Why this wasn't a monster hit is beside me. If that song came out in the 60s it would have become a classic.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 15, 2008 06:19

I've ALWAYS loved this album. It gets unfairly lumped in my the following disaster of an album far too often.

It's the fist album in the Mick-Keith album 'tennis match' we've been seeing.
(these scores are GENERALIZATIONS)

Undercover - Mick
Dirty Work - Keith
Steel Wheels - Mick
Voodoo Lounge - Keith
Bridges - Mick
ABB - Keith

[thepowergoats.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home