Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Tired of Keith
Posted by: phelge ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:04

I never thought I'd say this but what the hell, Keith is starting to get on my nerves.

1) His endless recycling of old quotes "Mick is vain" etc., say something new for god's sake.

2) Slagging off other bands "Arctic Monkeys, Oasis.... crap", when he also admits to never listening to them. And ALWAYS having a pop at Led Zep, it's obvious he's just plain jealous.

3) The Louis Vuitton ad.

4) Creative bankruptcy .... hasn't written a REALLY great tune in ages.

5) His guitar playing ain't getting better.

6) His tired insistence on playing the rebel ..... how may times do you hear about him switching into "Keith" mode when it's time for an interview or photo op? Surely by now he has nothing more to prove, so why not grow up and stop pretending to be a vagabond, when in fact he's a cossetted multi-millionaire with an army of synchophantic lackies at his beck and call?

OBVIOULSY I still love him to bits but I just wish he'd stop the pretence and just be himself...... maybe he doesn't know how to.
And yes, these criticisms can also, in a large part, apply to Mick, but he stopped pretending to be an anti-establishment rebel a long time ago.

Re: Tired of Keith
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:15

At least he's telling kids to stay off drugs.
They are probably not listening, but at least that is something positive.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:28

Phelge, you're a brave man to say so on here! I think there is a lot in what you say, the Vuitton ad was a shock when I opened my paper this morning.

I can't help wondering what the reaction would be on IORR if Mick had done the ad...

Anyhow, you'd better batten down the hatches for a rough ride!

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:30

"Anyhow, you'd better batten down the hatches for a rough ride!"

Bring it on! I love the guy, always have, always will, lets NOT forget that!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:47

Its not something that keeps me awake at night......

But I do agree in some respects.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:52

Oh yea,

I love the man also but I also have to agree with most of your comments...
Still...Keith is my favourite Stone..

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 4, 2008 12:52

I agree, phelge.
And if we look at Mick, I'd say he's about the same only on point 3 and 4 on your list (i.e. selling out to companies and not really writing good stuff). Keith is indeed acting a bit childish, perhaps more so now than in the 70s.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:10

Phelge

I think many people here, as opposed to the less hardcore fans, quietly agree with you.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:13

5 and 6. are the more 'disturbing' for me

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:16

there's a movie to promote, so he's wheeled out, speaks the usual bollocks and advertises a luxury product.

tiresome stuff, indeed...and with very little of the intended 'shock-value',
couldn't he have claimed to have snorted another dead relative?
that would have got the world talking and giving free publicity to the movie...not that he dislikes Oasis.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:22

I think the role Keith plays is what he thinks is required by the fans - as a counterpart to Mick: Mick, the cool, but cold businessman - Keith, the anti-establishment, warm-hearted rebel. I even think that a lot (not all!) of those reported fights between him and Jagger are just shows to feed the image the fans have of them. But a closer look reveals that Keith is more businessman than a lot of fans believe and Mick is more warm-Hearted than it appears. Its certainly not ying and yang. They are both good guys, but theyre also both very professional and business-minded. I say BOTH!!!

In another thread (tired dog?) mentioned that despite Keith publicly talked negative about the mix of Might As Well Get Juiced that appeared on Bridges, he had no problem to have it as opening music during the No Security tour in 1999. thats a clever observation which describes certain things in a nutshell! If a musician really dislikes a certain tune, I would think that he would not want to hear it night after night just before hes going on stage, spoiling his mood and concentration. but Keith trashing BTB version of MAWGJ was good for image, like: "look here, I dont like these modern mixes of songs, its Micks thing! my own more conventional mix of MAWGJ is miles better, but Mick wanted this modern dancefloor shit on the album!" and fans who did not like MAWGJ thought: "good old Keith! he keeps the spirit of the Stones alive - while Mick is once more following modern trends!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-04 13:24 by alimente.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:33

agree on all points!!!
but still he will be my hero for all my live!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:45

Tired of keith? Tired of KEITH???!!!confused smiley

How can anyone be tired of Keith? Can't even imagine it!!!!
And regarding point 2), Keith Richards plays guitar for the Rolling Stones, so how in the world he could he be any envious of Led Zeppelin, which is a much lesser band and has stopped working 30 years ago?? Just because Led Zep have sold more records in the 70's? I don't think money is a problem for Keith!

GO KEITH!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-04 17:25 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: March 4, 2008 14:01

whats more he was abolutely crap on most ABB shows as per the reviews posted on this site. Compared to the likes of Clapton, Santana etc who are not only getting better with age, they conduct themselves with a certain amount of decorum. KR is not in the same league and is right plonker...........what next? Bring back Michael Parkinson out of retirement for a KR special (no doubt Rod Stewart performing the musical sequences as always)

Date: March 4, 2008 14:11

Now your talking tosh!

The ABB shows I went to were up there with the best and the actual reviews from people who actually went to a show were predominently excellent.

And I would'nt suggest that Satana or Clapton are getting better with age....

Compare the last Cream live CD with anything from their peak and you'll know what I mean...

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: March 4, 2008 14:17

I agree too,but when I see him I can't believe that he is just a pretender.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 4, 2008 14:19

What can you expect from a person who hasn´t been sober the last forty years? After all, he´s only human...

Date: March 4, 2008 14:20

What on earth???????

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: March 4, 2008 14:22

meaning what may i ask?

Date: March 4, 2008 14:26

meaning what to what???

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 4, 2008 14:28

1. It is part of the Jagger-Richards game. See the post with Jagger interviewed by Charlie Rose - asked about the continuous Keith's sarcasm, Jagger shows himself more sarcastic and fires back "it's obvious, he gets more press"

2. My opinion is Richards feels exasperation about LZ teasing their public - maybe he finds it a lack of respect for the public - this reunion tour is expected for 25 years, and in the meantime the Stones have done six world tours. So it sounds like "you play or you vanish for ever, but don't spoil the business staying in between with silly rumors".

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 4, 2008 15:05

barking paul
Phelge

I think many people here, as opposed to the less hardcore fans, quietly agree with you.

Not necessarily "quietly" !! Expressing views that we haven't all heard countless times before, and also perhaps generally saying his piece in a slightly less contentious manner, would be a welcome change when KR speaks these days ... imho. There's a fine line somewhere or other between voicing perfectly legit criticisms or personal opinions and overstepping the mark & sounding unnecessarily offensive and belligerent. He hasn't too often been on the right side of that line in recent times - given some of what he's said here n' there.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 4, 2008 15:09

when a man is tired of Keith, he is tired of life.

With apologies to Dr Johnson

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2008 15:26

phelge
I never thought I'd say this but what the hell, Keith is starting to get on my nerves.

1) His endless recycling of old quotes "Mick is vain" etc., say something new for god's sake.

2) Slagging off other bands "Arctic Monkeys, Oasis.... crap", when he also admits to never listening to them. And ALWAYS having a pop at Led Zep, it's obvious he's just plain jealous.

3) The Louis Vuitton ad.

6) His tired insistence on playing the rebel ..... how may times do you hear about him switching into "Keith" mode when it's time for an interview or photo op? Surely by now he has nothing more to prove, so why not grow up and stop pretending to be a vagabond, when in fact he's a cossetted multi-millionaire with an army of synchophantic lackies at his beck and call?

OBVIOULSY I still love him to bits but I just wish he'd stop the pretence and just be himself...... maybe he doesn't know how to.
And yes, these criticisms can also, in a large part, apply to Mick, but he stopped pretending to be an anti-establishment rebel a long time ago.

Like ablett says, I'd agree with a lot of it but it wont make me lose sleep.

I agree 100% with points 4 & 6. Agree in principle with 1 & 2 with reservations (the Uncut interview isnt THAT bad - for once - when it comes to having a dig at Mick. A lot of it has been taken out of context, although the way he overlooks the fact that Mick has carried him for the last few years is irritating - and whilst the bitterness at any act younger than himself is beyond tiresome, I doubt hes 'jealous' of LZ, nor does he need to be).

Couldnt care less about the Louis Vutton ad. I like the pic. The outrage of some on here at him 'selling out' all of a sudden is hilarious. Where have you all been for the last couple of decades? Its nothing new in terms of reduced credibility. Playing corporate shows for bankers and charging four figure sums for concert tickets whilst coming of with pish like "you can keep the money, pal" is far more of an insult to the intelligence than posing for a touched-up photo for an ad.

As for #5. I wouldnt realistically expect a man of 64 years of age with his track record, with his arthritis, who almost died a year or two ago and who is on medication to prevent seizures as a result of the head trauma he suffered as a result to be improving as a musician. For all his faults, thankfully the guy is still with us and able to entertain us.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 4, 2008 15:34

>>>If things don't change, why change the quotes?

>>>Keith is absolutely right.

3) The Louis Vuitton ad.
>>>So what? Does it really matter that much to you?

>>>He wrote RJ and TPIE. If that's not good enough, nothing will ever be.

>>>Honey, it ain't getting worse.

>>>Being a rock 'n roll rebel today is different than in 1972. If you wanna get people's piss boiling, you don't do drugs or drink a lot or f*** groupies. You do an advertisement. The bigger cooperation the better. Imagine Iggy Pop doing a McDonalds ad. People would get more angry and upset about that, than if he did drugs. Being a rockstar that behaves like in 1972 today, has gotten old.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2008 16:04

So, let me get this right. You're suggesting that Keith, the ultimate icon of rock n roll rebelllion - is consciously being more rebellious than ever by doing something as anti-rock n roll and anti-conventionally rebelliousness as he possibly can.smileys with beer

Thats an original slant, I'll give you that much. I suppose this means he'll accept a knighthood now just to be 'rebellious' ?

What next? Keith joins the religious right in denouncing rock n roll as satanic?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-04 16:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 4, 2008 16:12

Gazza
So, let me get this right. You're suggesting that Keith, the ultimate icon of rock n roll rebelllion - is consciously being more rebellious than ever by doing something as anti-rock n roll and anti-conventionally rebelliousness as he possibly can.smileys with beer

Thats an original slant, I'll give you that much. I suppose this means he'll accept a knighthood now just to be 'rebellious' ?

What next? Keith joins the religious right in denouncing rock n roll as satanic?

I don't think he does it consciously. I think he does it for the dough, the publicity and because he wants to. The last paragraph being the ultimate rock 'n roll rebellion.

BTW: You didn't get my text message yesterday?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 4, 2008 16:23

Gazza

______________ actually,, thats an interesting line ya just thru out, for there was a family feud relating to that in essence, awhile back in the state of conn. . basically bred the song, 'saint of me'.. many couples gropel with spiritual concepts etc later in life.. thats all im personally permitted to say.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 4, 2008 16:25

I agree with the bastardized Dr Johnson quote. For all his faults, Keith is Keith, the musical legacy is secure no matter what, and I would rather watch and listen to him grow old disgracefully than fade away. A bit more public warmth to Mick, who has covered his arse more than once over the years, might not go amiss though.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 4, 2008 16:40

Is that LV ad real? I thought it was a joke. Is it in the US or Europe or both? I don't read the papers so haven't seen it anyway. Plus I'm not in the target market ha ha

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home