Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tom Petty sounds good during Super Bowl
Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:36

I enjoyed the performance but wondered about fitting in with all the super hype that surrounds the Game ... I always get a kick out of the "extras" that come flooding out on the field to see the half time show (I think they get unlimited free Red Bulls) and I understand they were all given flashlights to wave spontaneously during "Free Fallin"

[tompettytour2008.blogspot.com]

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:36

The Sicilian
It was boring. "Running Down A Dream" was the only song with a heartbeat. One of the worst performances ever at halftime. No energy, no vibe, very slow and tired. Glad I won't be going to see that one this summer.

would you rather waste your money on The Sabres?

Posted by: holycrap ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:39

beat the hellout of that Stones Cover Band they had a few years ago

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:48

Hilarious......

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:54

My Stones
The Sicilian
It was boring. "Running Down A Dream" was the only song with a heartbeat. One of the worst performances ever at halftime. No energy, no vibe, very slow and tired. Glad I won't be going to see that one this summer.

I'll watch the games on tv. It's free. Darien Lake is an lousy venue anyways.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:55

Some on here see the negative in everything.

I'm not a shrink, but can you say "self-loathing"?

Boring, predictable set list - You won't be getting your obscure favorites at The Super Bowl. The Stones didn't do "Sway", did they? It's big hits to appeal to the masses.

Tom looked bored - What else is new. He's been looking like that since 1976 (at least).

Fake extras - I hate 'em too and they don't fool anyone. However, they're now part of our plastic world.

Sex Pistols? Dylan? Ain't gonna happen. Maybe Springsteen. As someone said, it least it was guitar players, not rappers or American Idol winners.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-04 18:03 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:30

EXACTLY, Elmo

what's all the naggin'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-04 18:10 by open-g.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:37

I've always been a big TP fan and I thoroughly enjoyed the halftime show. I can't quite figure out the negativity here. It's NOT a Tom Petty concert. Tom Petty was the halftime entertainment. By definition, that means 1) no more than 20 minutes and 2)you can bet your a** that they're gonna play their most popular 3-4 songs. I thought the Heartbreakers rocked and sounded really tight. Finally - given the state of rock n roll in the 21st century, I find it encouraging that an artist who started his career more than 30 years ago can play with integrity to the masses. I watched with my 13 year old son who is learning guitar. I taught him the chords to American Girl before the show and he was really into it.

Date: February 4, 2008 18:01

dj wrote:

I watched with my 13 year old son who is learning guitar

I did exactly the same thing. My son is a big TP fan and really enjoyed it.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-04 18:02 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 4, 2008 18:18

Eh, the chick who 'sang' the national anthem? Come on...what a drag. I wish they'd do away with that for all sporting events - especially the damn lip synched 'performances'.

The half time show was great.

Eh, if you didn't like it and you are complaining....was someone holding a gun to your head to watch it? What, the Stones show was better? From what I recall they were quite ragged...but it was still fun to watch.

The Sex Pistols. Please. Come on. I think there is some unsaid rule that one has to have talent to play the Super Bowl. Tom Petty rocks. He's not Mick Jagger, he's not Janet Jackson, he doesn't jump about - he sings and plays guitar and rocks. Go to the zoo if you want jumping around.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 4, 2008 19:13

I think it nice to see that Petty apreciates his Lead Guitarist and gives him
"space" to show his stuff. Campbell's pretty good

And I liked this set better than what the Stones thru out there - Albett!!

MLC

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: February 4, 2008 19:16

I loved the Tom Petty half-time show. I was surprised he did 3 songs off of his first solo album, Full Moon Fever from 1989, but that was his biggest album. Mike Campbell played the hell out those songs. American Girl is one of my all time favorites.

Their original bass player who left in 1982 was on stage after his replacement died from drugs after 20 years in the band.

If you want to see a great documentary, "Runnin' Down A Dream" on DVD shows Petty's whole career. What a cool guy and one of the best American song writers.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 4, 2008 19:29

I thought the band sounded good but was surprised that 3 out of 4 songs were from the same album, a Petty solo album no less. And "Runnin' Down a Dream" is a terrible song with a good guitar solo.

Petty struck me as having moved on from Dylan to Harrison, with the beard and the extremely mellow vibe.

but I was stunned when he hit the chorus in "Free Fallin'"--I'm pretty sure he was singing along to a tape of his vocal from the original studio cut. What do others think? His voice just did not have that power for the rest of the set.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 4, 2008 20:43

Eh....wait, I must retract what I said about talent at the Super Bowl because that wouldn't explain the Janet thing and Britney and quite a few others....

Um.

Well, LATELY it requires talent.

Does that work?

I dunno. It seemed he sang down on that chorus as opposed to letting it rip. That might be why you think it was a tape...but I've never known Tom Petty to cheat. He's old school. The national anthem and all those things, Star Spangled...those are all cheats...

Date: February 4, 2008 21:32

Lots of effects out there now to put one's voice on key, stack harmonies, etc.

Fairly cheap too.

Can't say if Tom was using one or not.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: February 4, 2008 21:32

The Sicilian
My Stones
The Sicilian

I'll watch the games on tv. It's free. Darien Lake is an lousy venue anyways.

I agree. Too many idiots running around getting drunk not caring about the band at all. I just picked up tickets for Buddy Guy at Seneca Niagara.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 4, 2008 21:51

I loved the half time show.....Tom Petty was excellent!!!

Everyone I've talked to loved Tom Petty's show. And I loved watching the Giants win!!!! whew, what a game!!!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 5, 2008 01:40

Next year they ought to have Brian Setzer and his Orchestra. They would rock the place and have a broader appeal, too.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 5, 2008 05:48

Elmo Lewis
Some on here see the negative in everything.

I'm not a shrink, but can you say "self-loathing"?

Boring, predictable set list - You won't be getting your obscure favorites at The Super Bowl. The Stones didn't do "Sway", did they? It's big hits to appeal to the masses.

Tom looked bored - What else is new. He's been looking like that since 1976 (at least).

Fake extras - I hate 'em too and they don't fool anyone. However, they're now part of our plastic world.

Sex Pistols? Dylan? Ain't gonna happen. Maybe Springsteen. As someone said, it least it was guitar players, not rappers or American Idol winners.

Elmo,you nailed it on the head. Petty smoked. Of course their won't be rarites. My only minor quibble was that he included I Won't Back Down. Not real big on that song. But a local radio station played the entire set again this morning and it sounded even better. Espicially since I was in a room full of non-Petty fans watching the game. Although he did win the tough crowd over with that hot version of Runnin Down a Dream. Hell at least he didn't do the dredded medley.
As for Springsteen doing it. Rumour has it, both he and The Eagles were approached and said no this year. Altough if Springsteen does ever play the Super Bowl. I hope he comes out and does a 12 Min. version of Tenth Ave Freezeout.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 5, 2008 06:01

Ah, Nemesis, wondered what happened to you after the game. Glad we don't have to scramble the paramedics to resuscitate ya!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 5, 2008 06:07

I'm touched Toronto. Yeah I have finished licking my wounds and ready to unleash my usual rants.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 5, 2008 06:45

When Petty came on it didn't take long to go back to the kitchen for more sandwiches. I got more enjoyment out of a popcorn fart.

I was hoping that George Harrison and Roy Orbison would reappear with all those phony seance lights in the coached crowd.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 5, 2008 07:17

Sicilian, you know, you remind me of a super smooth James Bond.... I bet the chicks love to hear those popcorn farts..... Sandwich !?!?!? what is that????

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 5, 2008 08:34

he should have played Refugee. thats a cool song!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 5, 2008 09:54

Mike Campbell's Doubleneck...what kind of guitar was it? It looked a bit like a Danelectro...didn't know if they made doublenecks

Date: February 5, 2008 21:00

My son thought it was a Danelectro. Nice look and sound, whatever it was.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home