Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Emotional Rescue vs Tattoo You
Posted by: bianca ()
Date: January 31, 2008 05:39

I remember when ER came out and was met with less then stellar reviews. And then a year later TY was hailed as a masterpiece (although I can't remember if it was common knowledge at the time that the material was from Some Girls and before).

There is little doubt that TY is a fantastic work of art. Rockers on side 1 and ballads on side 2. But I have always preferred ER. The only song I can't stand is the title track. I think the reason I prefer ER is that Jagger is much more casual. Very loose and confident. Absolutely on top of his game, I find TY a bit distant. The songs are beautifully crafted, but not as fun. Too well-produced.

I think if the first single from ER had been the brilliant She's So Cold, it would have been much more heralded. And had a few of the better tracks made it to ER that were later included on TY...we'd be talking about ER like we talk about Some Girls.

Re: Emotional Rescue vs Tattoo You
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 31, 2008 05:45

Don't let Stonestod read this (HUGE ER fan),but I never really connected with ER. TY was one of my favs growing up and after numerous returns to ER, it still loses me after a few weeks in the rotation.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 31, 2008 06:03

thats a tough one because althogh great, tatoo you is really a collection of old stuff. ER is a true album.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 31, 2008 06:07

Well I kind of consider those 3 albums SG,ER and TY a trilogy. Since it seems like they all came out of roughly the same sessions. Most days for me the preference would probably be Tattoo You. But I could also make a case for Emotional Rescue. With Some Girls being the 3rd of the trilogy...On most days,not all.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 31, 2008 06:17

bianca
I remember when ER came out and was met with less then stellar reviews..... And had a few of the better tracks made it to ER that were later included on TY...we'd be talking about ER like we talk about Some Girls.

No, I can't agree.... there's too many so-so tracks on ER where SG doesn't have any real throwaways besides "LIES". Half of ER is almost throw away - LET ME GO goes nowhere, INDIAN GIRL is nothing special, WHERE THE BOYS GO is throwaway, I don't agree that SHE'S SO COLD is that fantastic, SEND IT TO ME is cute but not that great... maybe they should have made a double album with a lot more outtakes.. needed to mix it up a lot more....

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 31, 2008 09:28

I think Emotional Rescue's title track is possibly the best track on the album. However, as a whole the album just doesn't come close to Tattoo You, although perhaps one could make a case that it tried to be a little more contempory with the music that was around at that time. Many of the tracks though are sketchy and shallow and don't stand up especially well to repeated listens, where i believe by and large Tattoo You does. Coincidently Tattoo You is the final album the Stones have released that has sufficient depth and resiliance - the later Stones releases tend to follow the Emotional Rescue template which was originally conceived on the It's Only Rock 'n' Roll album.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: January 31, 2008 09:50

For my money ER is probably the weakest album they ever did. It's pleasant enough - maybe too pleasant, i.e. it sounds pretty much like Stones by numbers.

Excepted from the above is "Dance" (always a favorite of mine) and "She's So Cold" and "All About You". The rest is just filler to me - prime filler, but filler nonetheless ;-)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 31, 2008 10:26

Till Tattoo You all albums are classic Rolling Stones for me. Different styles sounds, mixes but till 1981 all just great.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: January 31, 2008 10:40

According to my taste, ER is the last 100% rolling stones record.

I love the greasy sound of ER with many guitars, bass, drums, and one of the best Jagger on this record.

The later records have gems (like she was hot...) but have also very weak songs. ER is not bad (gems being SMU, worried about you, heaven) but have also weak songs (like neighbours which seems ridiculous).

But it is just a matter of taste.

Date: January 31, 2008 10:40

<The rest is just filler to me - prime filler, but filler nonetheless ;-)>

Interesting. My favourites are the ones you mention and Down In The Hole and Where The Boys Go. Summer Romance is also OK.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: January 31, 2008 10:52

ER is a true album and TY is a rarities album....you can compare ER with SG but nothing else.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 31, 2008 10:52

Tatto You is a great and strong album. Even if all songs weren't written at that time. Some of them are penned years earlier. Have always loved Tatto You, especially Start Me Up, Tops and Waiting On A Friend but I really like all of the songs.
Emotional Rescue doesn't work at all for me. In my opinions their weakest album through the years.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:18

bianca
I remember when ER came out and was met with less then stellar reviews. And then a year later TY was hailed as a masterpiece (although I can't remember if it was common knowledge at the time that the material was from Some Girls and before).

There is little doubt that TY is a fantastic work of art. Rockers on side 1 and ballads on side 2. But I have always preferred ER. The only song I can't stand is the title track. I think the reason I prefer ER is that Jagger is much more casual. Very loose and confident. Absolutely on top of his game, I find TY a bit distant. The songs are beautifully crafted, but not as fun. Too well-produced.

I think if the first single from ER had been the brilliant She's So Cold, it would have been much more heralded. And had a few of the better tracks made it to ER that were later included on TY...we'd be talking about ER like we talk about Some Girls.

I don't think ER would have had favourable reviews irrespective of what the first single had been. It's a mediocre album. Sure it has some outstading songs on it, but also has some unforgivable crap on it - Where The Boys Go, Indian Girl are D.I.R.E.

Tattoo You was and is mostly brilliant. Although it should have bothered The Stones that the weakest songs on the album were the new (i.e: non-vault) ones.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:23

they should do Tattoo You 2 and use the best songs from their solo efforts....

Date: January 31, 2008 11:42

<Where The Boys Go, Indian Girl are D.I.R.E.>

Indian Girl i agree with, but WTBG is IMO as strong as Hang Fire which I really dig.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 31, 2008 12:17

I always have a bit of trouble with the silly and unnecesary "and the girls all know", that somehow spoils the fun of listening to ER as an album.
The individual songs are alright though. Problem is that with every album since 1973 we just compare every new song with something they've done before.
Dance Pt 1? Well, I liked Hot Stuff better, but does it mean Dance isn't a good tune? Summer romance, hey that's no Respectable. Et cetera.

Still I would not go as far as saying I prefer ER over Tattoo You. I don't care if TY is made up of old songs or what. The songs are great and more than ER I think Tattoo You is a coherent album with no lesser moment, which is odd considering the way it was brought to life.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 31, 2008 14:57

jamesjagger
ER is a true album and TY is a rarities album....you can compare ER with SG but nothing else.

In that case, they should have done more 'rarities' albums down the years.

Cant see what the fuss is about because TY mostly consisted of songs that were worked on in earlier sessions. Many of them were still completed in 1980-81. Its not unusual for songs to be carried over for use in future projects because they didnt 'fit' on a previous record or because they werent finished at a deadline for the record to be made.

'Let It Bleed', 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Exile' all have numerous songs which were recorded during sessions for the album that preceded it. In some case, it was even two albums earlier.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 31, 2008 14:57

DandelionPowderman
<Where The Boys Go, Indian Girl are D.I.R.E.>

Indian Girl i agree with, but WTBG is IMO as strong as Hang Fire which I really dig.

Yeah. Boys ... sounds like bad Sham 69 (who were crap anyway), or a pisstake of Sham 69 (in which case it works brilliantly). At best it's the sort of thing Blur would later do on Park Life - a knees-up with faux cockney accents, only Blur did it better, and with as much sincerity as Damon Albarn is capable of faking.

Boys ... is plain lousy. This coming from the same guy who wrote that wonderfully chilling look at life through a bit of working class rough's eyes, Play With Fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 14:59 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 31, 2008 14:59

jamesjagger
they should do Tattoo You 2 and use the best songs from their solo efforts....

Their last four studio albums contain several songs that were originally earmarked for solo albums.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 31, 2008 16:09

Agree with Gazza, can't understand why people write Tattoo You off as "not a real album" cause songs were written in previous recording sessions. This is similar to how people want Taylor to have a writing credit for Shine A Light when this songs was first created before he was with the band..

Tattoo You blows away ER, not even close for me. Emotional Rescue (along with Fool To Cry) is one of my least favorite Stones singles. Nothing to do with the falsetto cause Worried About You is one of my favorites. Some of the fast paced punky songs on ER seem a little weak to me, however I love She's So Cold and Down In A Hole.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 31, 2008 16:14

ER: I love She's so cold and AAY is good. ER not bad. Let me go, is a good filler and the rest is crap. However I love the attitude of the album. And the production. It could have been a really great EP.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 31, 2008 17:54

ER is together with Undercover Stone's worst album. TY is so much better, and it doesn't matter that TY contains older material.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 31, 2008 18:18

E R has a great feel....a lets go out and drink feel + the hangover...have to say i still like that album same goes for TY....Undercover ....at the time i wasnt that hap with it....but i love it so strong now...undercover is like wine...the older the better

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: January 31, 2008 18:53

In opposite to Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue isn't that kind of 'overproduced', and that's exactly the reason why I think taht ER is far better than TY.

On ER they sounded like they hadn't to prove anything at all....simply lazy, simply great!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 31, 2008 18:53

a new era : the Lascivious Stones !
I love both.
this is not anymore rock'n'roll but many other things : mid tempo, falsetto, saxo, disco.
I love.
Heaven, waiting on a friend, donw in the hole, slave... some fresh ideas. I wish they'd do more like that

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 31, 2008 19:03

I dig both albums, but Tattoo You is more coherent body of work and a better listen.
But....both Emotional Rescue and Undercover are among the most underrated RS albums - among the common fan.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: January 31, 2008 19:06

I love ER but thnk it is Some Girls Lite. The songs that didn't make the cut for SG. Songs good but not quite as strong. I always thought if Start Me Up was on ER (it was ready to go) and replaced Indian Girl, ER would be considered right up there with SG.
Tatoo You is a little overrated because the Stones were so hot at the time with SMU being huge and the tour. I think Tops and Heaven mediocre, but Slave, T&A, Limo, Neighbors, Worried about You, Aint no use, Waiting on a Friend are all top notch songs. Hang Fire and SMU cool too. Clearly Tatoo You blows ER away.

Date: January 31, 2008 19:09

They sounded so relaxt during ER still so R&R....LMG is great!...and the song ER is dreamy funny and the girls like it....all about you is a gem...the out takes (We had it all,Yah is not dead..should have been there!)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 31, 2008 19:11

rooster
....all about you is a gem...the out takes (We had it all,Yah is not dead..should have been there!)

Yeah Rooster, it's easy to compile a top notch alternate Emotional Rescue from the bootlegs. Even "Send It To Me" is a whole lot better when it's unedited/diff. mixed.
And why didn't they include "I Need You" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 19:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 31, 2008 19:23

So true! Erik...and there is indeed a great song(wich could be better) send it to me!! Cheers!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home