Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-looking for the "ultimate" live grateful dead recording
Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: December 8, 2007 06:49

im 20 and just getting seriously into the grateful dead- im looking for one or a couple of shows that have a great, upbeat setlist, great sound quality preferably SBD, and long jams- any suggestions? ive been on archive.org and theres so many shows on there i have no idea where to start

Re: OT-looking for the "ultimate" live grateful dead recording
Date: December 8, 2007 07:53

look for the '73 stuff-alot of fantastic shit. there is no one "ultimate" dead show they were all so different but as far as long, sublime jams the '73 stuff always worked for me....

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 8, 2007 10:12

Bingo's the ultimate DEAD expert on IORR, when he see's this I'm sure he'll come on and give you some top advice (check to see if his E-mail is public or hidden). There's been a lot of past Dead topics too, I would do a few searches... might find some answers.....

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: December 8, 2007 13:14

Well - I've got one that has all the above mentioned qualities: "Steppin' Out With the Grateful Dead - England '72"

It's long - quadruple - and it has got everything!

It's from 2004 and out on Rhino Records (the back of the CD says Rhino/ www.dead.net - maybe worth checking out?)

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 8, 2007 13:36

People here know their stuff.
Indeed the very best shows are the european tours 1972, and the 1973 american shows.
Dick's picks vol. 1 is a great 73 show.
Then mofur makes a good suggestion. You can also just pick up the official release "Europe '72".
There is lots of other good stuff out there.
An impression can be had from various sites where you can download audience tapes.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 8, 2007 13:40

I really rate the first disc of Nightfall Of Diamonds.

There's a new set out soon from 1979 I believe.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: December 8, 2007 13:45

Whale Wrote:
> An impression can be had from various sites where
> you can download audience tapes.

The Dead might be the most bootlegged band?? (Maybe head-to-head with The Stones)

And the Dead really facilitated bootleggers - setting aside room for them close to the stage so that they could record. Pity,some of the equipment was not up to much back in the day. But still - what a gesture. (I've read somewhere that it stemmed from their lack of sales so they figured it could not harm them)

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: December 8, 2007 14:50

I've got the 5 CD live set "SO MANY ROADS 65 - 95) for sale.

start with saomething from around 73, LIVE/DEAD is a cracker but there are "fuller" versions around these days.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 8, 2007 20:01

I always recommend EUROPE 72, but the DEAD AHEAD from Radio City Music Hall in 1980 is also very good.

The only time I saw them with Jerry was October 1979 at the Cape Cod Coliseum, and either one of those two nights are worth tracking down if you check out the tape trading sites. Dead.net has just released a CD from that tour, called Road Trips Vol. I Fall '79.

Cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home