Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: Led Zep Press Conference @ O2 - 12 Sept. @ 4pm
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 14, 2007 13:07

Edith Grove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hooray, paulywaul!
>
> BTW, has this Goldsmith guy ever been involved
> with Stones shows in recent years?

Not "recent" years no, but he's promoted the Stones in the past, for sure.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 14, 2007 13:08

good for you Pauly.
i may well write to them myself on this matter.

though i'd wager, that the brokers we've listed above, do get ticket allocations.

Date: September 14, 2007 13:14

Adrian-L Wrote:
> good for you Pauly.
> i may well write to them myself on this matter.
>
> though i'd wager, that the brokers we've listed
> above, do get ticket allocations.

It would be nice to think that, for once, as this is such a one-off that the brokers are completely out of the equation and it is a genuine ballot for the fans. It is not as if there will be any tickets left unsold for Mr Goldsmith to worry about!

Date: September 14, 2007 13:19

Adrian-L & MOWAT,

I'm personally going to voice my complaints about these various sites both by writing in to the the HG Productions Margaret St address, but also through e-mail, using the link below taken from his website:

[www.harveygoldsmith.com]

Worth doing I guess, otherwise nuffink will EVER change ? Thanks for showing interest anyway.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 14, 2007 13:59

Well done Paul!!!!! I have just e-mailed to HG through the link and also put in my twopennysworth about Tickets going to genuine fans and not celebs,footballers wives,big brother no hopers etc who wouldn't even know Zeppelin was a big ballon type thing let alone the second greatest band that ever performed...........Maybe equal second with the Who!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2007 14:11

Edith Grove Wrote:
> Hooray, paulywaul!
>
> BTW, has this Goldsmith guy ever been involved
> with Stones shows in recent years?

He was certainly promoting them in 1990 and (I think) in 1982.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 14, 2007 15:11

He was the promoter for Europe 82,but I thought Cohl had taken over by 1990. Look how quickly they dumped Bill Graham once the whoremaster got involved.

sc uk

Date: September 14, 2007 15:17

Goldsmith was definitely involved in some way in 1990. I remember seeing him in Glasgow trying in vain to co-ordinate with the security people as scores of punters were scaling the fences to get on to the pitch!

they still have to work with local promoters even now. John Giddings does their UK concerts. He is also the promoter of the Isle of Wight festival, which is probably why he was able to get the Stones to play THAT event as opposed to the higher profile Glastonbury.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-14 15:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: September 14, 2007 15:49

When I registered I was given the choice of Seated or Standing.

Does this mean the floor will all be GA unseated for this show ?

Date: September 14, 2007 15:57

yes. same option as with Bruce.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 14, 2007 16:42

Good move Paulywaul but I just don't see Ticket Scalping ever going away. People will find a way. The Zep need to do a tour for this thing to get a bit under control - 1 show is insane IMO..... whatever the case, I'll wait for the DVD - saw them in the 70's - from 72 to 77 - about 7 times.... they'll be very good if they tour this show worldwide but the 70's magic can't come back - impossible...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 14, 2007 16:53

Shawn20 Wrote:
> The biggest event that never happened would have
> been a Beatles' reunion show in the 1970s.

Among the over-hyped and ultimately anti-climatic events that people in the 1970s paid $30 to watch live in movie theatres on giant closed-circuit TV screens, the Beatles reunion concert would have ranked somewhere between the great Snake River Canyon Jump and the time Muhammad Ali fought a Japanese wrestler.

Date: September 14, 2007 17:05

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Good move Paulywaul but I just don't see Ticket
> Scalping ever going away. People will find a way.
> The Zep need to do a tour for this thing to get a
> bit under control - 1 show is insane IMO.....
> whatever the case, I'll wait for the DVD - saw
> them in the 70's - from 72 to 77 - about 7
> times.... they'll be very good if they tour this
> show worldwide but the 70's magic can't come back
> - impossible...

Robert Plant doesn't have ANYTHING remotely resembling the voice he once had. I saw him open for the Who a couple times in 2002, and though he could still ocassionally put it into second gear, that fact is that Roger Daltrey, even with his own sub-par performances, blew Plant off the stage.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 14, 2007 17:11

ballot extended till wednesday noon.

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 14, 2007 17:14

tatters Wrote:

> Robert Plant doesn't have ANYTHING remotely
> resembling the voice he once had.

Keith isn't a fraction of the guitar player he use to be...but that didn't stop millions of people seeing this tour.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: September 14, 2007 21:54

Adrian L wrote
"ballot extended till wednesday noon".

Lol have they not collected enough email addreses.

Dont forget the Executive boxes or whatever they are called.

The companies that own them can legally sell their tickets if they are not giving them away to favoured clients.

Now where do they sell their tickets via the O2/TM or to scalpers ?.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 14, 2007 22:06

the nieces company has a box there, but all she has ever managed to blag is a Justin Timberlake ticket. !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 14, 2007 22:13

Plant lost his voice prior to the 1973 tour, but he kept going. It's only last last 10 years or so where he has been able to master what's left of his voice as evident of his most recent tour, where about half the songs performed were Zeppelin songs.

Date: September 15, 2007 03:22

Adrian-L Wrote:
> ballot extended till wednesday noon.
>
> [www.nme.com]

Aw great. Just what we all need. An extra two days to gather another 35 million applicants.

Date: September 15, 2007 04:47

This is all just part of their market research. They're collecting data. They want to know where the applications are coming from. That will help them decide which cities to visit when they tour.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 15, 2007 12:18

That's what I'm thinking as well, tatters.

Date: September 15, 2007 13:48

tatters Wrote:
> This is all just part of their market research.
> They're collecting data. They want to know where
> the applications are coming from. That will help
> them decide which cities to visit when they tour.

Good point, never thought of that. Good thing I was never emplyed in market research, don't think the company would've gone far !!

Posted by: Han ()
Date: September 15, 2007 14:23

From The Independent

Led Zeppelin: Stairway to purgatory

Led Zeppelin have decided to reform. It's a terrible idea, says the band's historian, Nigel Williamson
Published: 14 September 2007

The morning after Led Zeppelin received their Lifetime Achievement award at the Grammys in Los Angeles in 2005, I sat drinking tea with Robert Plant in the kitchen of Real World's studios in Box, Wiltshire. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones had attended the ceremony but Plant had decided to stay at home in order to rehearse with his current band, Strange Sensation.

Needless to say, his former colleagues weren't pleased by his failure to turn up and Page had publicly vented his displeasure. "I see Jimmy had a bit of a go at me for not being there," Plant told me. "But what can you do? What I'm doing now is more important to me. This veneration of one period of one's life is pointless. It's great to look back and smile. But middle-aged self congratulation is very dangerous."

Yet following recent reunions by The Police, Genesis, Crowded House, Spice Girls and Take That, it was announced this week that Plant, Page and Jones, together with Jason Bonham, son of the group's late drummer, John Bonham, will reunite for the first time since 1988, when they played a half-hour set at a 40th birthday celebration for Atlantic Records at Madison Square Garden in New York.

On that occasion Plant forgot the words of "Kashmir", Page lost his way in the middle of the guitar solo on "Heartbreaker" and the pair had an almighty row over whether they should play "Stairway To Heaven" (Plant didn't want to sing it and Page was adamant that the world expected it). In the end, they did play it but Plant subsequently denounced the gig as "foul" and Page admitted it was "one big disappointment".

Their only other reunion since the band's break-up following Bonham's death in 1980, when they played Live Aid in Philadelphia in 1985, was similarly disappointing.

Indeed, their performance was so poor that when Live Aid eventually came out in DVD format some 20 years later, Led Zeppelin refused to allow their contribution to be included in the package. Plant subsequently described their performance as "a @#$%& atrocity" and likened it to Frank Sinatra singing "My Way".

Forgive me, then, if I don't join the general euphoria that has greeted the announcement that the band they called The Hammer of the Gods are to tread the boards once more at the O2 Arena in east London in November. But don't get me wrong. I'm as much of a Led Zeppelin fan as the next man. I first saw them play at the Royal Albert Hall in January 1970 when I was a 16-year-old hippie with hair halfway down my back in a schoolboy imitation of Plant's leonine mane and which I shook with wild and woolly abandon when they played "Whole Lotta Love".

I bought all their albums as soon as they came out, was at their "comeback" concert at Knebworth in 1979 and I mourned Bonham's death and the band's consequent demise in 1980. But, to be completely frank, that's where Led Zeppelin should be left.

Recently, I spent six months writing The Rough Guide to Led Zeppelin, a labour of love that gave me the excuse to listen repeatedly to all of the old records again and to spend happy hours watching footage of them in their pomp as the greatest rock'*'roll band in the world on the Led Zeppelin DVD. It brought back some wonderful memories and, as Plant told me, "it's good to look back and smile". But you can't turn back the clock and put those memories back up on stage as if the last 27 years never happened.

When Page and Plant last got back together in the Nineties, they at least had something new to say. First on the MTV Unledded project, they reinvented favourites from the band's classic repertoire in startling new fashion with the addition of an Egyptian ensemble and the London Metropolitan Orchestra.

Jones was miffed not to be told about the recording, let alone invited to join them, but Plant, in particular, was desperate for it to be seen as a new project and not a reincarnation of Led Zeppelin.

Again without Jones, Page and Plant followed in 1997 with Walking into Clarksdale, an album of entirely new material, which they toured for a year. The record was widely regarded as a disappointment and a pale reflection of former glories, but at least they were trying. This time there is no new material and no pretence that getting back together is anything more than a blatantly sentimental exercise in cheap nostalgia.

So, given that their only two previous reunions have been disasters, why are they doing it? The attraction for Page is obvious. With only one solo album to his name (1988's Outrider) and a series of failed attempts to find a Zeppelin substitute in lacklustre collaborations with Paul Rodgers, David Coverdale and the Black Crowes, his post-Zeppelin career has never taken off.

In recent years, he has been more than content to live on his Zeppelin laurels, remastering the old albums, compiling DVDs and dusting down old tapes for live albums such as Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions and How the West Was Won. He's delighted every time Led Zeppelin are given some new award or honour and invariably turns up in person, beaming with pride and pleasure. The last time I interviewed him, in 2005, I asked whether he ever got frustrated that the world was only interested in his role in a band that broke up when he was only 36 years old. He seemed baffled by the question. "Not at all, because if you look at it from my point of view it was a great life in Zeppelin," he responded. I then asked if he planned to make a new record.

"What I need to be doing is making a new musical statement," he admitted. "Now's the time to do something that makes people say, 'I didn't think you'd do that but I can really see why you've done it.' We'll see what we come up with. I'm not retired yet if that's what you're thinking."

Two years on there's still no sign of a "new musical statement". There's just a Led Zeppelin reunion. And as for John Paul Jones, having been excluded from Page and Plant's joint ventures in the Nineties, he's probably just glad that his old colleagues could still remember his phone number.

The real surprise is Plant. Of all of the surviving Zeppelin members, he is the one who has remained a creative force. Next month he releases Raising Sand, a quite wonderful new album recorded in Nashville with the bluegrass singer Alison Krauss which has already been described by Uncut editor Allan Jones as "may be the best thing he's done in nigh on 30 years". Sadly, in the brouhaha surrounding the reunion, the record will probably sink without trace.

That said, of course I hope to be there on 26 November and I won't even moan about the £125 ticket price because, after all, it is for a charitable cause. But thank heavens it is a one-off and that the hotel managers of the world can rest easy that it's not a year-long global tour.

Nigel Williamson's 'Rough Guide To Led Zeppelin' is published by Penguin/Rough Guides at £9.99

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 15, 2007 14:27

MARKET RESEARCH !!! All that these applications will show or indeed confirm what we all know already is that people will travel from anywhere to see them.
its hardly solid data anyway. people who are not even remotly interested in LZ are applying on the remote chance of getting a tcket an making a few bob.

If i was being cynical I might say that its a PR job by Hardly Goldshite to present himself as the man who is trying to beat the touts.

Date: September 15, 2007 15:35

Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> MARKET RESEARCH !!! All that these applications
> will show or indeed confirm what we all know
> already is that people will travel from anywhere
> to see them.
> its hardly solid data anyway. people who are not
> even remotly interested in LZ are applying on the
> remote chance of getting a tcket an making a few
> bob.
>
> If i was being cynical I might say that its a PR
> job by Hardly Goldshite to present himself as the
> man who is trying to beat the touts.

<<< If i was being cynical I might say that its a PR job by Hardly Goldshite to present himself as the man who is trying to beat the touts >>>

You could well be bang on the button there. I called his office with the intention of giving them a list of these scalping "agencies" and I must say, the person I spoke to sounded depressingly uninterested in taking any info from me at all, she couldn't wait to end the conversation and get off the phone.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 15, 2007 17:23

I have been wondering as to whether Led Zeppelin will have the equivalent of a "Rattlesnake Club" where patronising hangers-on, desperate wannabies and awestruck star-spotters can congregate together, each pretending to be interested in each other's conversation as well as acting cool and detached whenever a Z-List celebrity walks by.

It would be so nice to walk up to Ronnie Wood at one of these gatherings and say, "Hey Woody...you know how much that last painting of yours is worth? F**k All!!!"

The always excellent Adrian L has a great expression for these types. Pond Life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-15 17:24 by Barn Owl.

Date: September 15, 2007 17:53

Barn Owl Wrote:
> I have been wondering as to whether Led Zeppelin
> will have the equivalent of a "Rattlesnake Club"
> where patronising hangers-on, desperate wannabies
> and awestruck star-spotters can congregate
> together, each pretending to be interested in each
> other's conversation as well as acting cool and
> detached whenever a Z-List celebrity walks by.
>
> It would be so nice to walk up to Ronnie Wood at
> one of these gatherings and say, "Hey Woody...you
> know how much that last painting of yours is
> worth? F**k All!!!"
>
> The always excellent Adrian L has a great
> expression for these types. Pond Life.

Ah, you're talking about the Stones' "Rattlesnake Inn", or as I prefer to think of it ... the "Alligator Grill" (which to my mind - as a name - has an altogether far more irreverent and agreeable ring to it). I'm afraid I couldn't really agree with you about Woody's paintings though. Apart from the fact that I actually seriously dislike a great many of them, three in particular that I DO like - I have limited edition screenprints of. You can argue perhaps that they weren't worth the $2000 or so I coughed up for each of them, but the inescapable fact is that they appear to be worth significantly more today than what I paid for them.

I fully accept your comments about "pond life". albeit that I'm pretty slimy (so my friends tell me), I don't think I quite fall into that category myself - if only for the fact there's been no cool or detachment when I've been in the ole "Alligator Grill", but rather a lot of getting shitfaced and making a bit of a c**t of myself !! God forbid you took it all seriously !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-15 19:10 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 16, 2007 10:13

"Still, it's hard to imagine that anything could ever be bigger than this. Not even a Pink Floyd concert with Waters and Gilmour, or an event where Ringo opened for Paul and then joined him onstage for a few songs, would come close to the level of hysteria we're seeing here."

Yeah...kinda sad, innit?

I think the "Stairway To Purgatory" article posted above says it all, really. People are treating this 'reunion' concert like it's the Second Coming and I think they are going to be very disappointed.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 16, 2007 14:34

Jesus Murphy Wrote:
> "Still, it's hard to imagine that anything could
> ever be bigger than this. Not even a Pink Floyd
> concert with Waters and Gilmour, or an event where
> Ringo opened for Paul and then joined him onstage
> for a few songs, would come close to the level of
> hysteria we're seeing here."
>
> Yeah...kinda sad, innit?
>
> I think the "Stairway To Purgatory" article posted
> above says it all, really. People are treating
> this 'reunion' concert like it's the Second Coming
> and I think they are going to be very
> disappointed.

Good point.

I mean, were the Page/Plant gigs, some ten years back, worth writing home about?

Date: September 16, 2007 16:39

LOGIE Wrote:
> Jesus Murphy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Still, it's hard to imagine that anything
> could
> > ever be bigger than this. Not even a Pink Floyd
> > concert with Waters and Gilmour, or an event
> where
> > Ringo opened for Paul and then joined him
> onstage
> > for a few songs, would come close to the level
> of
> > hysteria we're seeing here."
> >
> > Yeah...kinda sad, innit?
> >
> > I think the "Stairway To Purgatory" article
> posted
> > above says it all, really. People are treating
> > this 'reunion' concert like it's the Second
> Coming
> > and I think they are going to be very
> > disappointed.
>
>
> Good point.
>
> I mean, were the Page/Plant gigs, some ten years
> back, worth writing home about?

The Page/Plant show I saw in '98 was very, very good, but to me, THAT was the Led Zeppelin reunion tour. They toured behind a new studio album for the first time since 1979, played as a four-piece, and performed a setlist that, aside from a few of the new songs, was very similar to what Zep fans might have seen them play in 1972. Tickets sold very well, but there was no sense of HYSTERIA. Now, ten years later, they've added the "other guy", changed the tickets to read "Led Zeppelin" and everyone is going INSANE!

The power of a brand name is never to be underestimated. Just ask Roger Waters and David Gilmour about that. Also, hardly performing at all in the last 27 years has done wonders for the Zeppelin mystique. That mystique will not suffer now if they play one bad show together, but it would suffer horribly from a long, bad tour.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home