Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill & Charlie Magic ?
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: September 20, 2007 13:17

BILL MAGIC SET LIST
Posted by: Highwire.uk (IP Logged)
Date: September 20, 2007 01:14

Bills set lists just get better. Hope to see him on tour.
Also has anyone got any views on The Stones Magic
Most people go on about Mick & Keith but I have a feeling the real magic was Bill & Charlie, I dont mean they are the reason the boys do or did so well but I think since Bill left a large part of the magic in the music went with him.After all the music is the main thing. I exept DJ is a very good bass player but magic is not there imo.Anyway just a thought.I have seen the boys from the 60s to the o2 show, and yes they were brilliant but as I say apart of the magic is missing, not sure if its the same for new fans just listening to CDs.Or going to 100 show on 5 tours , But I would love to see and here BW back even just for 1 tour,now that would be special.
Some people will get this last remark 5 guys taking a bow looking at each other knowing they did a great show. 5 guys thats allways been The Rolling Stones.

Re: Bill & Charlie Magic ?
Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: September 20, 2007 13:18

Give me DJ anyday.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 20, 2007 13:40

well this has been discussed endlessly here in various posts.
my opinion is that wyman is a flat out genius organic rock and boogie player.
where he played on the neck; the peculularities of his physicality and what he did to adjust and how he held the instrument to easily access the higher frets; a lot of his live stuff is just virtuoso going for it, but entirely in the tradition...that early 'route 66' from '64 tells the whole story; wyman's place an an originator and original full stone can never be overestimated...
yes it's magic and it's beautiful and it's a powerful gift beyond the imagining...i don't expect a wyman appearance with the stones, the stones tudes being what they are about alla that stuff, but who knows...i don't wait for it or anticipate it or expect it, or even think it would necessarily be an epiphany unless some rehearsal and respect went into it which is extremely unlikely to ever happen in my opinion;
as far as jones; he's a no-starter and no-finisher for me and i'd like to see him replaced asap with a rock and roll bass player that has an organic boogie and rock and roll sensibility and drive...
that being said, he's got great class and stage presence and humility which i truly admire and i don't doubt his virtuosity in his element, but he is a stranger to real rock and roll, an onlooker...his bass playing with the stones is distinctly generic and unimaginative and misses the stuttering, staggering brilliant punctuation and flat out speed freak velocity of melody and impact that wyman has ALWAYS had since record number 1.
oh yeah, how could you ignore the rhythm section of the fabulous rolling stones...how could deny that beat and that melody and ferocity and stalwart grounded soaring brilliance...
out of respect for mr. jones, it's best not to make a comparison.
imo jones made a huge mistake right from the start proudly boasting he was not ther to 'copy bill'...
understandable if he wants to stake his own territory and be his own man, and absolutely strong of him to want to come in with that confidence...but a little respect, as ron has done with mickt's signature riffs, would have been appreciated...i've often bitched that if he's such a genius jazz virtuoso he should take five minutes and transcribe some of wyman's parts at least to immerse himself in that...he's just a generic guy loafing about on the highest profile sideman gig he'll ever get, and it's not even his genre or his real interest or his real talent...he does not have that magic...he's a support player but he's never shed generic, except for soem nice work on VL, but then he at least had a chance to give his own stamp to new stuff being recorded together when the band was very inspired with a great album's worth of songs...
and for that he's made history, and deservedly so...i don't want to bash him, and hope i have not...he's there and respected as such, but comparison's are hopeless...there is no 'charlie and darryl magic' per se...imo.
he does what he was hired to do; someone should have had a bigger vision.
actually keith did, but he let that one go...huge mistake.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 20, 2007 15:01

Very good post. Route 66, yes. Hot Stuff. Miss you. Charlie and Bill thru the 81 tour. Bill on Just my imagination from Hamton 1981 (just to name one). Bill on Bye Bye Johnny live 1972. He is missed.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 20, 2007 15:32

Just to balance the thread a bit...
Nothing´s magic with Bill.Very dull on stage, almost no communication with the band or the crowd. A great deal of irritating mistakes live. And most of the really good bass parts on the albums in the past was played by either Keith or Mick Taylor.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2007 15:36

Svartmer, you sound like a cameraman.
film cameras always seemed to overlook Bill (and other Stones who didn't move much)
which is too bad, because he sure was communicating something fierce & fine -
just like a Rolling Stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-20 16:16 by with sssoul.

Date: September 20, 2007 15:42

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Svartmer, you sound like a cameraman.
> film cameras always seemed to overlook Bill (and
> other Stones who didn't move much) which is too
> bad, because he sure was communicating something
> fierce & fine -
> just like a Rolling Stone.

Ok, if you say so...I never noticed that. And no, I´m not a cameraman...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 20, 2007 17:13

Svartmer Wrote:
> Just to balance the thread a bit...
> Nothing´s magic with Bill.Very dull on stage,
> almost no communication with the band or the
> crowd.

Strongly disagree with you. Bill and Charlie's....and Keiths...comnunication on stage is one of them magical things - they didn't need eyecontact or standing close to oneanother. It's all in the sound coming out of the speakers and some kind of secret understanding. Bill was a great sight on stage, as he was so cool and anonymous - the opposite of the basslines that kept the band together. It's facinating watching Bill on stage, like an Indian that's out hunting; standing completely still, while in reality he's hearing, smelling and watching...things that us mortals miss completely.

Date: September 20, 2007 17:21

Keith has always had a lot of eye contact with Charlie, but it wasn´t easy with Bill, staring right in front of him the whole gig. And for how long is it fascinating to watch an "anonymous guy standing completely still"? Ten seconds?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2007 17:22

>> Bill and Charlie's ... and Keith's ... comnunication on stage is one of them magical things -
they didn't need eyecontact or standing close to oneanother. It's all in the sound
coming out of the speakers and some kind of secret understanding. <<

thank you Erik - that's what i was trying to say: you bet they were communicating.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 20, 2007 17:27

Bill is a eternal rolling stones member. I love this guy. He is a grest musician and he is very important for the stones.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 20, 2007 23:04

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Svartmer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just to balance the thread a bit...
> > Nothing´s magic with Bill.Very dull on stage,
> > almost no communication with the band or the
> > crowd.
>
> Strongly disagree with you. Bill and
> Charlie's....and Keiths...comnunication on stage
> is one of them magical things - they didn't need
> eyecontact or standing close to oneanother. It's
> all in the sound coming out of the speakers and
> some kind of secret understanding. Bill was a
> great sight on stage, as he was so cool and
> anonymous - the opposite of the basslines that
> kept the band together. It's facinating watching
> Bill on stage, like an Indian that's out hunting;
> standing completely still, while in reality he's
> hearing, smelling and watching...things that us
> mortals miss completely.

ah, brilliant. thank you so much.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 21, 2007 00:33

In fairness to Darryl, over the years he has adopted a more "conventional" approach to playing the songs, while still putting his unique imprint on the overall sound.

I happen to like his playing better NOW as opposed to the VL tour.

There's no doubt that Bill & Charlie had a unique chemistry, but nothing is to be gained from yet another discussion of this subject.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 21, 2007 01:32

Svartmer Wrote:
> Just to balance the thread a bit...
> Nothing´s magic with Bill.Very dull on stage,
> almost no communication with the band or the
> crowd. A great deal of irritating mistakes live.
> And most of the really good bass parts on the
> albums in the past was played by either Keith or
> Mick Taylor.

Keith and Mick? No way. Keiths rock lines are good and suits the songs (JJF SFM) but take JJF. It's great live in 1981 thanks to Bill. Had he played like Keith it would have been pointless live. Dull and boring. He makes it swing. That said, Keith was great on Live with me. Sympathy? I dunno. It's better live with Bill in 1975.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 21, 2007 05:08

those charlie and bill bitch 73 and miss you 81-82 stand out in my mind, among many others of course, miss you from shattered in europe is outstanding, even mick seems to be digging charlie and bill on that one

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home