Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bill Wyman tour of Norway 2007
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 17, 2007 02:25

Look forward to your reports, BV.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 19, 2007 20:19

See tour dates and genereal info here: [iorr.org]
Also use the Rjukan link for more photos.
If you have info about the shows, crowd sizes or other
general info related to Bill Wyman on tour please
send e-mail to iorr@arena.no - Thanks!

Bjornulf

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 19, 2007 20:22

Set list looked interesting .
Wouldn't mind catching the show .
Are they planning any US dates ?

Date: September 19, 2007 20:30

Bill does not like to fly. In fact he hates it. That was one of the main reasons why he left the Stones. They use a bus to tour Norway, and they have always used a bus anywhere they have been touring in Europe. It is more or less crazy to tour with a bus from south to north in Norway - a distance like Chicago to Los Angeles or London to Milan, may be more, but when you don't like flying that's the option. I do know Bill went to USA one time after he left the Stones, to promote one of his books may be, and some shows, but I would say it would be your lucky day if he came to North America one more time. When he can do 17 shows in Norway he can probably do 500 in the rest of Europe. And they just love it - not because of the money, but because they have fun on stage.

The band is tight and great. Teyyr taylor and Andy Fairweather Low are great guitarists. The first clean and sharp, the other noisy like Pete Townsend. Bill is in the background as usual, not liking the spotligts. Beverly Skeete is doing some great singing in the same league as Lisa, and the Route 66 version is as Andy says with a true replica of the Keith Richards solo. I wanted to see more shows during the tour in Norway, but I am too busy. He will be here still 2-3 weeks so may be I have some more chances.

Bjornulf

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 19, 2007 21:10

Keep covering the Bill Wyman tour, he's great and underrated for sure. I totally dig the man after after having heard most of the boots from 1981 (on iorr). I dug him before, the bass on Hot Stuff alone would make anyone an addict to that thumpin bass, but the boots from 1981 made me understand Keiths anger with Bill when he left the band.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 19, 2007 21:15

I'm just amazed that any act could play 17 shows in Norway. With a small population, I just wouldn't think there would be enough demand to justify the costs involved with the tour. How many people have been showing up for these shows?

I heard last year that Bill is still refusing to sign any Stones albums or items at his shows. Is that true?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 19, 2007 22:03

No its not true; but folks plz do not bother him with
inadequate demands!!!

Norway is greasin' over with prosperity & money;
almost any act could play there. winking smiley
(But, gotta say, the Norsemen have good musical taste)

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: September 19, 2007 22:13

is bill signing any stones stuff?

Date: September 19, 2007 22:27

Why in Earth would anyone stick a Stones product up Bill's
ol' nose? Why is this important?

Date: September 19, 2007 22:43

Bill is generous and friendly when you ask him to sign. If it is an old Stones item he might sign it if you are lucky, like "Bill Wyman 2007", which means it is impossible to fake it like it was general and old, to fill in with the rest of the band later on. He sure is aware of all the pro's selling autographs these days on ebay etc. I have heard he does not sign old Stones stuff, and to be honest I don't see the point in asking him to sign stuff like Sticky Fingers from 1971 now 36 years later. If you do want his signature then you should own one of his records or books and you will have a great signature and also a nice chat if he is not too busy.

There were just 300 people in Oslo, which is a city with 500,000 people, and one million within 45 minutes driving distance. The place Sentrum Scene has a capacity of 1,000 or so. This was the 4th time Bill was in Oslo on his own, so you might say he has covered that market.

Rjukan is a mountain city 2 1/2 hours driving from Oslo. There were a full tent of some 300 people. In Horten I heard it was sold out and 700 people. I think he is successful in any smaller city that do appreciate such a great band of many talents, and if he is playing near you make sure you see his show. A fun band, fun crowd and a great experience. I am looking at his tour schedule every day and regret every day I have to stay at home rather than going out for a show within 2-4 hours driving from my home place. After Kongsvinger tomorrow his show will move 550 km and 9 hours driving north which makes it harder, have to fly, but may be I can see another show before this tour is over.

PS. In case you did not notice. Football city Trondheim, you know the city of Rosenborg, the team that played Chelsea 1-1 in London last night, will be visited by Bill on Saturday. It will be a party show in a large tent for sure!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 20, 2007 02:00

Kind of OT and kind of old news, but review of Bill's show at Jazzhouse, Copenhagen Sept 10: [www.berlingske.dk]

It's in Danish

English Summary:

It's basically a very good review rating the concert 5/6. Unfortunately not very detailed.

The show was sold out, with tix being sold at 85$

The reviewer states the setlist was good, the band was good, and especially Georgie Fame and Andy Fairweather Low did a good job. Though when Eddie Floyd stole the show, when he entered the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-20 05:05 by Sohoe.

BILL MAGIC SET LIST
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: September 20, 2007 01:14

Bills set lists just get better. Hope to see him on tour.
Also has anyone got any views on The Stones Magic
Most people go on about Mick & Keith but I have a feeling the real magic was Bill & Charlie, I dont mean they are the reason the boys do or did so well but I think since Bill left a large part of the magic in the music went with him.After all the music is the main thing. I exept DJ is a very good bass player but magic is not there imo.Anyway just a thought.I have seen the boys from the 60s to the o2 show, and yes they were brilliant but as I say apart of the magic is missing, not sure if its the same for new fans just listening to CDs.Or going to 100 show on 5 tours , But I would love to see and here BW back even just for 1 tour,now that would be special.
Some people will get this last remark 5 guys taking a bow looking at each other knowing they did a great show. 5 guys thats allways been The Rolling Stones.

Date: September 20, 2007 09:29

I have a feeling that there might be a contract or a legal poaper that is preventing Bill & Mick T or other multiple members of the Stones to tour together outsiude the RS band concept itself. If Bill and Mick T announced a tour together they would sell out any theathre in Europe right away. I would follow them on tour right away.

Bjornulf

Date: September 20, 2007 09:35

Eddie owned the stage & the show in 2005.
Lifted the Rhythm Kings up where they belong.

Date: September 20, 2007 09:55

Same on this tour. Eddie Floyd is a true entertainer.
He is constantly moving like Mick and makes everybody dance.

Bjornulf

Date: September 20, 2007 15:53

<The place Sentrum Scene has a capacity of 1,000 or so.>

Date: September 21, 2007 01:00

Melody NL 1998

BW Rhyhtm Kings

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 21, 2007 01:05

bv Wrote:
I could go to
> Copenhagen and throw bricks at the police

Please don't - we have enough of our own idiots doing just that. And with the Minister of Justice being who she is it will only mean that the police will be furnished with even more rights to break human rights ... and frankly my dear, I/we don't need that ;-)

Date: September 21, 2007 01:40

Wrong thread, still now when someone brings it up:
A Shame they put down Ungdomshuset. Awesome concerts
been goin' on there for at least some 25 (30?) years...
Bricks or not, I drink to the venue.

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: September 21, 2007 10:20

It's so sad that people don't turn up - in large numbers - at Bill's shows. The one in the capital of Oslo only had a crowd of a little more than 300. Bill and his fab band deserve a full house. Same thing happened in Kongsvinger. Norwegians are so... ungratefull, and thay obviously have difficulties moving their bums out of the TV-chairs and ugly recliners. Shame! I certainly hope the people in the Northern parts of Norway turn up in large numbers. We want to see full houses, and enthousiastic crowds.

Date: September 21, 2007 20:39

Albert Lee will be joining the Rhythm Kings on tour from Trondheim
Saturday 22nd to 26th and then again from 1st October until the end.
I.e. the shows in Trondheim, Oppdal and Mosjøen, then the
five shows in Sweden. See the update on the tour list: [iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Des ()
Date: September 21, 2007 21:01

I got an invite to get into the LZ ticket pool and noted they had the band down with some other impressive ones as backups.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 21, 2007 21:03

I have a 5th row ticket for Bill's concert in 7 days, which I'm unable to use - so I sent it to somebody who can attend that one.
Bought it weeks after it went for sale, and there's still plenty available....Bill doesn't deserve empty seats, it's a shame.

Date: September 21, 2007 21:29

I think he is aimin' at a new market;
and, if so, thus ought to be tolerant to half-empty venues.
Same yesteryesteryear in my (former home-)town.

Date: September 21, 2007 21:43

He is playing the culture houses of many smaller cities in Norway. May be their capacity is 600 and there are 300 coming. Not a big problem really as the 300 people get a great show. As for Oslo he probably spent too much time there, it was the 4th show in ten or so years and not really big news. Except for the Stones fans coming to see their legend heroes including Bill, there are hundreds of "lengend" groups around, also probably a bunch playing in Las Vegas and Atlantic City and many other similar places at all times.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 21, 2007 22:21

Bill in Gothenburg 2007, setlist and photos: [www.stonesvikings.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-25 19:05 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: September 24, 2007 23:02

Albert Lee joined the Rhythm Kings in Trondheim Saturday, and will be with the band until the 26th, and then again from 1st October until the end. I.e. the shows in Trondheim, Oppdal and Mosjøen, then the five shows in Sweden. This picture is from Oppdal last nigh:

Bjornulf

Posted by: Han ()
Date: September 25, 2007 14:49

I love Albert. I hope he's going to be at the O2 - especially if I make the cut (cue hollow laughter...)

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: September 25, 2007 17:26

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill does not like to fly. In fact he hates it.
> That was one of the main reasons why he left the
> Stones. They use a bus to tour Norway, and they
> have always used a bus anywhere they have been
> touring in Europe. It is more or less crazy to
> tour with a bus from south to north in Norway - a
> distance like Chicago to Los Angeles or London to
> Milan, may be more, but when you don't like flying
> that's the option. I do know Bill went to USA one
> time after he left the Stones, to promote one of
> his books may be, and some shows, but I would say
> it would be your lucky day if he came to North
> America one more time. When he can do 17 shows in
> Norway he can probably do 500 in the rest of
> Europe. And they just love it - not because of the
> money, but because they have fun on stage.
>
> The band is tight and great. Teyyr taylor and Andy
> Fairweather Low are great guitarists. The first
> clean and sharp, the other noisy like Pete
> Townsend. Bill is in the background as usual, not
> liking the spotligts. Beverly Skeete is doing some
> great singing in the same league as Lisa, and the
> Route 66 version is as Andy says with a true
> replica of the Keith Richards solo. I wanted to
> see more shows during the tour in Norway, but I am
> too busy. He will be here still 2-3 weeks so may
> be I have some more chances.

bv, great that you finally detect the Rhythm Kings!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 25, 2007 19:45

A little below 500 attenders in Kristiansund. No Georgie Fame.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home