Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ABB songs on ABB tour - what happened?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 31, 2007 11:55

Beauforde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> aslecs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 1. Stones blew it. They were incredibly
> > inconsistent re: ABB songs, And then pulled
> them
> > completely (nearly) Bad move.
> >
> > 2. SOL Live was fabulous
>
>
> totally agree. sol was amazing live. so were back
> of my hand and rain fall down. oh no not you was a
> gas. infamy was fun. dangerous beauty woulda been
> awesome. same with laugh i nearly died. yep. they
> blew it.

ONNYA smokes more than anything else (with
the slight exceptions of LIS, Rambler & PIcool smiley in Brno.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 31, 2007 12:38

As they do usually, they started with a half dozen of new tunes (on a rotating basis) and finally stuck to those ones that turned out to be crowd pleasers. Unfortunately, there was not a single one among the ABB songs that got noteworthy crowd reaction (maybe with the exception of SOL, heaven knows why), and right so because the whole album is, imho, embarassing fake from the beginning to the end (sorry to say that). So it is understandable that the ABB songs were skipped.

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: August 31, 2007 12:38

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 31, 2007 14:12

In 2005 it was ABB tour. In the old days, tours lasted for maybe a year. This maybe changed in the 80s and still life was an example of this. Also, they used to put out a record a year.

So it's quite different now playing a set 2 years after an album was release to a distinctive whimper of appreciation from fans and the press alike - let alone from casual fans.

"Best since Some Girls" doesn't mean anything anymore. People say that about every album they produce. ABB was a good album but does not stand up against their classic material. I've listened to it plenty of times but it ain't BB or EOMS.

Personally, I would prefer to see them play brilliant songs from their classic albums than to play good songs from an OK album.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 31, 2007 15:53

Tantekäthe Wrote:
> As they do usually, they started with a half dozen
> of new tunes (on a rotating basis) and finally
> stuck to those ones that turned out to be crowd
> pleasers.

They were only doing 3 new songs a night for the most part at the start of the tour and it was the same ones, later in the tour they tried out a few others like It Won't Take Long, but they only played that twice and dropped it. Half way through the tour it was one new song a night and a few gigs with none.

Posted by: Landover 81 ()
Date: September 1, 2007 04:14

They lacked confidence in their ABB material. Just don/t know why such a great band can have doubts like that.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 1, 2007 04:32

Landover 81 Wrote:
> They lacked confidence in their ABB material. Just
> don/t know why such a great band can have doubts
> like that.

Maybe that great band didn't care too much for the ABB material - like the rest of us.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 1, 2007 05:42

I think Back Of My Hand would have been good if they kept playing it. I love that bluesy jam sound on it.

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: September 1, 2007 18:03

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Landover 81 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They lacked confidence in their ABB material.
> Just
> > don/t know why such a great band can have
> doubts
> > like that.
>
>
> Maybe that great band didn't care too much for the
> ABB material - like the rest of us.

speak for yourself. not the rest of us. many of the rest of us think abb is an excellent album. a damn fine album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 2, 2007 16:09

>> many of the rest of us think ABB is an excellent album <<

yep!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2007 16:10

ya mean more like YEP!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 2, 2007 16:24

what i really meant was actually [howlin:] ohh ~*YEAH!*~ :E

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: September 2, 2007 22:47

paulywaul Wrote in another thread:
"What exactly is it that you'd wish to see them do that they're so obviously in your mind failing to deliver ? The only reason your perception might be that setlists were becoming stale and predictable were if you went to show after show after show without a break. I saw 9 shows between 10th June and 6th July, and after that I took a break precisely because of the fact that I WAS BECOMING ABLE to pretty much predict what I was gonna hear next, and all in all the "excitement" factor associated with attending shows had begun to wane a little. I left it a month, that cured it ... seeing them again (especially for the three O2 shows) was once again as thrilling as ever. But assuming that lots of people do not or cannot treat themselves to 25 odd shows within a 2 year period, they might see a single show or perhaps a couple, how exactly are the Stones to provide this middle ground you speak of; "a concert with a balance of new material old material and some challenging off-center stuff" ? They have +/- 20 songs to play around with, a 2 hour time slot, and - lets not forget this - a LOT of different folks to please at any one time in any one venue ? Us "25 shows in 2 years" merchants are pretty well catered to, would you not agree ? But the person seeing just the one or two shows ... what about them ? I hardly think the Stones have failed them, and if you do ... then I have to say that I just do not understand what it is you'd rather have them do instead ?"

i think my answer is more appropriate for this thread. i saw 2 abb shows this summer and here were the setlists.

Frankfurt
1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Rough Justice
4. Bitch
5. Monkey Man
6. Sweet Virginia
7. Midnight Rambler
8. I'll Go Crazy
9. Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
10. I Wanna Hold You (Keith)
11. Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
12. It's Only Rock'n Roll (to B-stage)
13. Respectable (B-stage)
14. Satisfaction (B-stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Paint It Black
18. Brown Sugar
19. Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Lausanne
1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Rough Justice
4. Bitch
5. Love Is Strong
6. You Can't Always Get What You Want
7. Midnight Rambler
8. I'll Go Crazy
9. Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
10. You Got The Silver (Keith)
11. I Wanna Hold You (Keith)
12. It's Only Rock'n Roll (to B-stage)
13. Respectable (B-stage)
14. Satisfaction (B-stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Paint It Black
18. Jumping Jack Flash
19. Brown Sugar (encore)

basically the same show. monkey man was replaced with love is strong. sweet virginia was replaced with ycagwyw. keith replaced btmmr with ygts. but the point is that on the 2007 abb tour i got one abb song and the same song both concerts. from the 21 different songs i saw them perform in the 2 concerts only 2 were written in the last quarter century and most were 30 to 40 years old. if this 'aint nostalgia peddling i don't know what is. i thought the nostalgia tour was licks. most of the songs i saw i've been seeing the last 5 tours. it's almost the same show. to answer your question i would rather them play some new material lotsa older material and some challenging off-center stuff. they can still play many of their hits but to play a total of one song from 2 years ago and another one from 13 years ago and the rest from 28-40 years ago is not my idea of a concert that will prove their artistic vitality. their financial vitality obviously is not in question but i don't go see my favorite band to admire their financial and marketing skills. a little artistic courage would be welcome.

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: September 2, 2007 23:06

the stones could invade poland and paulywaul would find a way to defend it . . . he's not worth arguing with, Beauforde

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-02 23:07 by nikki bong.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 2, 2007 23:11

Agree with above that Streets of Love was amazing live. I'd rather that than RJ, ONNYA or RFD any day.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 3, 2007 02:47

What happened?

They got lazy...that's what happened. Though try explaining that to the sycophants and apologists here and they'd have us walk the plank.

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: September 3, 2007 02:59

it was a real chore to sit - or, actually, stand - through Rough Jvstice

Posted by: jagbo ()
Date: September 3, 2007 04:21

It's too bad they didn't play more from ABB - I rate this as a stones top ten album - I don't get why people think it's week. I think they played ONNYA and RJ every show I got to, BOMH twice, and it was a highlight (Hershey got BOMH; ADTL;MR right in a row - WHAT A TREAT!) The boot that I have listened to IWTL I think it's amazing. (Never got to see that, shame) Infamy and TPIE were both great to hear - Keef was sticking to those nioght after night at the beginning and it's weird, if there is one tune that brings me back to the whole ABB experience - all the parties, the short trips, hotels, taxis, parties, and SHOWS; it's INFAMY. When that one comes on the shuffle, whoa shit! it all comes back. What a great tour to celebrate and now enjoy the afterglow...

Back on original topic... would have like to have seen LWTCDI (my fave on the record), SSMC; IWTL; and been travellin' round the world, but, wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which gets full the quickest.

What a tour, what memories, - HEY! 2008 is NEXT YEAR!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 3, 2007 06:25

i guess i can argue both sides - wish they had done more from abb - but, i do think it's pretty much a pile of shite album, so can't really blame them for not

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: September 3, 2007 06:30

I agree! I wish they would of done a shit load of ABB, to bad and the bummer is on them! and why is this? They did not play any of them it was fresh and very good stuff iwas at Miniapolis with back of my hand i thought it was great! What happened STONES?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 3, 2007 06:32

The only thing amazing about SOL is that some people actually like it.sad smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: September 3, 2007 06:50

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> The only thing amazing about SOL is that some
> people actually like it.sad smiley

Some people liked it? what's that supposed to mean? scl?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 3, 2007 07:11

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> The only thing amazing about SOL is that some
> people actually like it.sad smiley

not really. either they just pretended to because they didn't know how else to react or they are not really real people.....

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 3, 2007 07:41

therollingmanu Wrote:
>> Ronnie Wood ...he mentions that he would have loved to do
> Look What The Cat Dragged In live. Too bad,noone
> listened to him...

Please God listen to Ronnie!!

Play ABB.

She Saw Me Coming would do nicely.

Better yet, for a next low key, No Security type tour, drop the after the B-Stage War-Horses,

Do the opposite, for the whole show, just a few War Horses, but everyhting else should be unusual.

PLEASE GOD!

I'll still dig deep, pay a lot for a ticket, sucker that I am for the Stones.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 5, 2007 03:21

I'm a bit disappointed, too. Still I do like the ABB album very much and I wished, it would have been a big part of a concert. The Licks-tour was maybe an oldie-tour (because of no new album). 2005-06 they had the chance to show their new material.

Rough Justice is a killer. ONNYA too. Back Of My Hand is a classic blues song, they could have done it instead of any cover versions (Little Red Rooster, Like A Rolling Stone, Night Time...). Rain Fall Down was some kind of a cool disco track, the new Miss You. On CD Streets Of Love is a low point to me, but live it was really wonderful. Keith could have played both of his songs, This Place Is Empty and Infamy. Plus some variations: It Won't Take Long here, Driving Too Fast there, maybe Dangerous Beauty, Let Me Down Slow, Under The Radar or Look What The Cat Dragged In. I'm not sure about live vocals of Laugh I Nearly Died... but it's a great tune, so worth to try.

2007 the new album was not new any more. So the latest setlist changes are more than okay to me. Also I can understand, that the new Stones countries (China, Montenegro, Romania etc.) got more classic hits.

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: September 5, 2007 04:44

at least play all of them once for gods sake how many nights did they play and they couldn't fit in a cuple new ones sh...t

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: September 5, 2007 11:19

Beauforde Wrote:
> in the 2
> concerts only 2 were written in the last quarter
> century and most were 30 to 40 years old.

Well, Rough Justice, You Got me Rocking, Wanna Hold You, Start Me Up (at least it was realeased in the past 25 years) and Love Is Strong - 5 altogether -were written in the last quarter century just to be precise with facts.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 5, 2007 12:01

ere we go... ive got an idea..

how about, the "B" stage became the "Warhorse" stage and it hosted a set of about 5 of the best....
The mainstage however was reserved for maybe 2 warhorse wildcards to maybe start or end the show and the rest of the show was for the lesser known stuff - but not absolutely unknown!.. just stuff like stray cat and no expectations...

it would be nice for the next tour... winking smiley

DOG

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 5, 2007 12:45

Best ABB songs LIVE ?

Rough Justice: 10/10
Oh, No Not You Again: 9/10
Back Of My Hand: 10/10 (on the RS.COM video superb!)
Rain Fall Down: 6/10
It Won't Take Long: 7/10
Streets Of Love: 8/10
Infamy: 4/10
This Place Is Empty: 5/10 (a good song but not live in a stadium)

Date: September 5, 2007 12:58

<Personally, I would prefer to see them play brilliant songs from their classic albums than to play good songs from an OK album.>

IMO good songs often become classics when performed repeatedly live.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home