Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: O2 London #1 - show reports & comments
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:12

sold out or not sold out?

Posted by: LolA ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:24

tylerdurden2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bloody awful audience, worst I have ever seen at a
> Stones concert and this was my 15th. I have NEVER
> been asked to sit down for christs sake.

Do you mean people stayed sat?? What if you don't? What about the front rows, were people sat as well?? No way to move around??

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:27

A fantastic show in London tonight, following a brilliant, highly enjoyable show in Slane on Saturday. Keith and Ronnie were both highly focussed and playing at the top of their game - absolutely brilliant to see. Awesome set list, with some of the best versions of Rocks Off, Let it Bleed and Beast of Burden that I've ever seen. And I have to say that Jumping Jack Flash tonight absolutely blew me away - it was without doubt the toughest, meanest, heaviest, most intense version I have ever seen the guys perform in 25 shows in 12 cities in 9 countries. Keith was absolutely phenomenal tonight, and surely tonight's show and the Slane gig should finally silence the naysayers who think he is past it - rest assured the Keith of old is alive and rocking and, judging from tonight's show, has many more years of great shows still left in him. A great show - I can't wait for Thursday.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:29

Yes, it was a quieter audience than usual (though not in the block I was in, we did some dancing). The "nosebleed" blocks really are quite steep but it means everyone has a good view even if the person in front stands up (which disappointingly few of them did.) Definitely NOT thousands of empty seats although there were a couple of hundred up in the rafters (so why were all these cheaper seats unobtainable almost from the first day they went on sale?)

But on with the show, as Keith would say. And it was a good one. The start-up trio of SMU/YGMR/RJ was brilliant, and Rocks Off too. Ronnie in great form, Keith concentrating and enjoying himself.

I was delighted when Mick announced Beast of Burden, and once it got going it was good, but for me there was something indefinably wrong with the intro - it didn't quite make sense until a few bars in.

GREAT CYHMK. (Now let's hope we get Midnight Rambler on the 23rd as I've yet to hear it live).

Keith and Ronnie have got YGTS down to a fine art now - lovely guitar and a vocal that sends shivers down your spine. And Wanna Hold You is now 100% better than the version I heard at the IOW Festival. Keith cheerfully ignored the smoking ban.

It took the dreaded warhorses (well, not dreaded by me, but you know what I mean) to get the audience going. We finished up with a real storming Jumping-Jack-Flash-and-a-half. Next to me were two young ladies at their first ever Stones concert - they'd been dancing along and during Paint It Black one just looked at me and said "isn't it BRILLIANT!". Absolutely blown away. At the end of JJF they thought it was all over - I told them there was still Brown Sugar to come and they learned the Yeah Yeah Yeah WOOOO! routine with great enthusiasm. Isn't it wonderful to see the band still making new fans.

I certainly saw some people from the floor blocks move about during the B-stage routine. I didn't take my little camera but I could easily have got it in as security were only searching bags, not pockets. I'll try on the 23rd when I'll be nearer the stage.

Couldn't make it to the Pilot Inn today as I had to come straight from work. Mick remarked that it had taken the band 40 years to get from Richmond to Greenwich - I can report that it took me 90 minutes to get back.

By the way, I noticed coming out of Richmond Station that the Station Hotel seems to have changed hands again. It's now painted a dark chocolate brown all over and called The Bull. I wonder if the new management will take a bit more notice of its history?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:35

john lomax wrote:

"Keith was absolutely phenomenal tonight, and surely tonight's show and the Slane gig should finally silence the naysayers who think he is past it"

I remember some fans saying exactly the same as for Ronnie, during the european leg of Licks or on the first northamerican gigs of ABB tour. "Shattered" predictions...

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:39

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> Nikolai Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Superb, simply superb!
> > She was not only having orgasms whenever
> > Jagger got close, but she whipped her tatas out
> > during Honky Tonk Women. Beautiful girl,
> > beautiful tatas.
>
>
> Well,it is TaTa Tuesday.grinning smiley

Geez.......do Lamont & Tonnelli still do that nonsense??

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:39

Just got back from the show, and I can report:

1. No worries about ticket sales. The Arena appeared full by showtime (9:00 p.m.) Reports of empty seats were probably caused by the half-full arena at 8:00 p.m.

2. The only reason the seats were empty at 8:00 p.m. is that there is so much to do at O2 Arena. It is an amazing venue. My family and I didn't know where to eat. We were tempted by the Pizzeria, but the line for a table was a little long, so we went for the take-out sushi place, which was pretty good.

3. The acoustics at the O2 Arena are, in my opinion, good, but not great by any means. There is a significant echo caused by the flat, hard roof. I think that the sound in MSG or the LA Forum is much better. But, it's not bad, and it was LOUD, which is good, of course.

4. Keith was clear-eyed, alert, and having a great time. He hit all of his intros, and didn't blow any solos. His performance of You Got the Silver was the best that I have heard.

5. Ronnie was terrific. Can't You Hear Me Knocking was amazing. Remember when we used to bash Ron -- not any more.

6. I've heard Respectable a few times live, and it is usually a mess. But, I thought they did a good job with it on the B-Stage tonight. Looking forward to some more new ones on Thursday.

7. Security is very tight. I was down on the floor, right on the catwalk, but no one was allowed to hug the rail until after HTW. They cleared the rail area regularly. People were kept out of the Front Section, and people in front were kept from going to the B-Stage.

8. People did leave early. I think a lot of people were worried about missing the last trains, which I can understand. I am planning on staying until the very end on the 26th, so I am curious about how others fared -- transportation wise. Did everyone make it on a train before they shut it down for the night?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-22 03:41 by drbryant.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:58

so, sold out concert. Is a fact.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 22, 2007 04:03

carlostones10 Wrote:
> so, sold out concert. Is a fact.

Yes, a full house - that's what everyone is reporting who was there - except for one sour lemon (but he wasn't even there, ha)

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: August 22, 2007 04:05

open-g Wrote:
> carlostones10 Wrote:
> -----
> > so, sold out concert. Is a fact.
>
> Yes, a full house - that's what everyone is
> reporting who was there - except for one sour
> lemon (but he wasn't even there, ha)

I'm in the other half of the lemon,open-g don't worry? to bad there not lemon 714 huh...lol

Posted by: seebee ()
Date: August 22, 2007 04:16

Just been reading through some of the threads and thought I'd add here was a great show. The one thing I'd say is that I think the sound is going to be an issue at the o2 for a while to come. I've been to a couple of the recent Prince shows and after tonight my overall impression after sitting in various levels is that the sound in the lower and upper tiers is sharper, the floor seems to be slightly fuzzy or muffled, but I'm guessing it's just the acoustics of the building.

Tonight definitely wasn't sold out, but was certainly close to it. The venue was still selling tickets on the door up to 9pm. Was a distinct lack of touts outside the venue which almost scuppered my plans for picking up a cheap ticket (a stroke of luck meant I got a £100 ticket for £20). I didn't see any touts, and the security seems pretty on the ball looking out for them.

Great night...roll on Thursday!

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:04

to be honest, i'd rather have empty seats than butts actually SITTING in seats . . . damn the london bores!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:28

Kind of funny that they never played Buffalo again after 97, as they only sold 45,000 tickets. It was called an embarrassment for the band, as the stadium held 82,000 then. That would be one of the biggest shows on this tour. They just hadn't figured out pulling covers over sections yet.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:34

No Expectations Wrote:
> sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> -----
> > Nikolai Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Superb, simply superb!
> > > She was not only having orgasms whenever
> > > Jagger got close, but she whipped her tatas
> out
> > > during Honky Tonk Women. Beautiful girl,
> > > beautiful tatas.
> >
> >
> > Well,it is TaTa Tuesday.grinning smiley
>
> Geez.......do Lamont & Tonnelli still do that
> nonsense??

Yes whoever you are(from or previously from the bay area). They still do.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:36

Ok, just a few quick thoughts...

FANTASTIC show. Perhaps the most enjoyable I've seen. I was with a really good friend of mine, and she started crying after they came on stage, she was so overwhelmed.... Really made me realise how lucky I am to be seeing all these shows, and how damn good the stones are...STILL.

To hear LIB, beast of burden, CYHMK, respectable... AMAZING...

The venue is fantastic...

Cannot wait until thursday...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:50

K I L L E R setlist

rough justice
rocks off
let it bleed
beast of burden
can't you hear me knocking

Never thought that I would ever hear LIB or BoB live in concert and for these songs to be played back-to-back was truly magical.

Ronnie was on the top of his game; best I have ever seen him and the whole band were clearly enjoying themselves. Sorry to say, I'm not so convinced about Keith, there is definitely a perceptible change to his presence and playing since I last saw the lads at Twickenham in 2006, God bless him.

The band did not deserve a crowd that lousy, beyond the bloody warhorses they were decidely unresponsive; casting around in a wide sweep during the set, recognition levels were appalling (in the rear floor and tiers). I hope the band get a better crowd for the next two dates.

SD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-22 05:52 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:58

SonicDreamer Wrote:
> K I L L E R setlist
>
> rough justice
> rocks off
> let it bleed
> beast of burden
> can't you hear me knocking
>
> Never thought that I would ever hear LIB or BoB
> live in concert and for these songs to be played
> back-to-back was truly magical.
>
> Ronnie was on the top of his game; best I have
> ever seen him and the whole band were clearly
> enjoying themselves. Sorry to say, I'm not so
> convinced about Keith, there is definitely a
> perceptible change to his presence and playing
> since I last saw the lads at Twickenham in 2006,
> God bless him.
>
> The band did not deserve a crowd that lousy,
> beyond the bloody warhorses they were decidely
> unresponsive; casting around in a wide sweep
> during the set, recognition levels were appalling
> (in the rear floor and tiers). I hope the band
> get a better crowd for the next two dates.
>
> SD

You know they willSD,i will be there! little do the Stones know it's called fan consulting? believe it or not you can get a crowd rearing and ready to go way before show time i've been doing it all the way through this tour,get it Stones when i'm around? the fee should be tremendous for what i do before show time! for the money there making but i rather have a good concert and jam with the band and the FANS!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 22, 2007 06:47

Many thanks for your reports!

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: August 22, 2007 07:33

Daniel Nienkemper Wrote:
> ...now I'm back at Heathrow and I like that to say
> that this show was really amazing! My favourites
> were "Let it bleed", "Beast of Burden" and "Can't
> you hear me knocking". My flight back to
> Duesseldorf will go in the morning and so I've got
> time enough to think about this great show!!!
>
> Hope that these 3 shows are not the end of Rolling
> Stones Live-shows...
>
> Hey Stones-fans, hope you'll enjoy the next 2
> shows at the O2! After Nijmegen, Frankfurt,
> Duesseldorf, Hamburg and the first London Show my
> Stones-Tour is now over :-(
>
> Maybe we'll see us next time ;-).

hi daniel,

see you next tour then,we will see the 3rd show on sunday!

robert from austria

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: August 22, 2007 09:06

Night Fever, Night Fever...

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 09:58

Its the first time i have not seen anything on the morning tv news regarding the start of the concerts in britain <well london>.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:10

a very, very enjoyable show.

Up in the nosebleeds (block 414), the atmosphere was electric, and the accoustics were terrific...and i can promise you,
i was not expecting myself, to be able to say that.

My previous 'nosebleed' experience, in Cardiff, last year, was a miserable, almost insufferable affair, but i'm happy to report, to all of you, with
'cheap seats' for the forthcoming shows, on thursday and sunday, that you will get a great view and great sound.

Beast Of Burden and Let It Bleed, were 2 outstanding highlights, and to look over my left shoulder , and see 2 youngsters singing along to every word,
was a joy.

I can safely say, i got my £80 pounds worth, last night, and to be able to say that, is a lovely, sweet suprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-22 10:12 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:21

There's a good review in the Telegraph, can't find it on the website yet to link to

odean73 Wrote:
> Its the first time i have not seen anything on the
> morning tv news regarding the start of the
> concerts in britain .

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:23

nikki bong Wrote:
> svendborg Wrote:
> -----
> > nikki bong Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > good crowd? or the usual london bores?
> >
> > London bores?
> > Someone told me a couple of days ago, that the
> > audience here in Denmark were the most boring
> of

I was disappointed by London crowd in 99 and 2003. Very sleepy ! strange because the crowd is warm for football with nice singings

Some suprises may still happen with the setlist. The yesterday one is great. At last Beast of B.
Was it juicy guitars on it ??
> > all....very interesting :-)
>
> wasn't me! i lurrrrv denmark . . . .
>
> sleepy london town on the other hand . . .zzzzzz

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:28

I was at the gig last night and was just as good as any other gig I've been to aver the last 37 years . I just can't understand why people think the setlist is boring, their fantastic whatever they play. Just watching the songs come up on the forum as they play them is no guide, you have to be there and experience the whole deal.

I looked around and couldn't see any empty seats, i sat in the forth tier and there were a few seat around me empty but i think all those people where at the top standing up and not using their seats. It was a really great gig and i hope they keep going.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:41

just seen following link on last night - hope it works..

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Dog

Posted by: warby ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:44

Sun Review Here

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Not much said, not sure about the speedboat bit?

Cheers
Warby

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:50

Adrian-L Wrote:
> a very, very enjoyable show.
>
> Up in the nosebleeds (block 414), the atmosphere
> was electric, and the accoustics were
> terrific...and i can promise you,
> i was not expecting myself, to be able to say
> that.
>
> My previous 'nosebleed' experience, in
> Cardiff, last year, was a miserable, almost
> insufferable affair, but i'm happy to report, to
> all of you, with
> 'cheap seats' for the forthcoming shows, on
> thursday and sunday, that you will get a great
> view and great sound.
>
> Beast Of Burden and Let It Bleed, were 2
> outstanding highlights, and to look over my left
> shoulder , and see 2 youngsters singing along to
> every word,
> was a joy.
>
> I can safely say, i got my £80 pounds worth,
> last night, and to be able to say that, is a
> lovely, sweet suprise.

thanks for that adrian, like you i was in the nose bleeds at cardiff and as you say a very miserable affair all together. I have got lower tier for thursday and c block for sunday so should work out ok.

also got a chance of a vip pass into one of the lounges which would save a lot of hassle regarding somewhere to eat & drink, trouble is i would have to go smartly dressed which would be a first for me at a stones concert and probably miss the chance of meeting up at the pilots pub.

Decisions decisions eh.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:56

I avoided all the set list discussions/moans before going last night.

Although there were no big surprises for me personally, except I Wanna Hold You, I thought the none warhorse songs they played early on (rocks off, let it bleed, beast of burden, can't you hear me knocking) and Keith’s set were excellent. The comments about the audience early on may have been that they were unfamiliar with these album tracks.

Ronnie’s solo on CYHMK made me think ‘what is all this crap about Mick Taylor?’ I doubt today whether he could have delivered a better solo. Ronnie was excellent all night, the best I have seen him play across 20 shows. It was good to see him back to his old self moving around and enjoying himself on stage. In 2003 and 2006 he seemed pretty static, concentrating on his playing.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:57

great to hear that block 105 is good thats where I'm seated. with a catalogue like the stones a setlist is allways gonna dissapoint some people.

I cant wait.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home