Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: O2 London #1 - show reports & comments
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 22, 2007 10:59

Ronnie's solos (especially on CYHMK) have all been excellent during the gigs I saw

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:00

odean73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for that adrian, like you i was in the nose
> bleeds at cardiff and as you say a very miserable
> affair all together. I have got lower tier for
> thursday and c block for sunday so should work out
> ok.
>
> also got a chance of a vip pass into one of the
> lounges which would save a lot of hassle regarding
> somewhere to eat & drink, trouble is i would have
> to go smartly dressed which would be a first for
> me at a stones concert and probably miss the
> chance of meeting up at the pilots pub.
>
> Decisions decisions eh.

If you get here, early enough, you should be able to do both!
- had a great time last night, dude...
i'm sure you'll have a blast,too

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:00

Right on Valeswood. Honest Ron was shit hot last night.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:04

What was the Q for tube like after the gig ?

Date: August 22, 2007 11:12

Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> What was the Q for tube like after the gig ?

i beat a hasty retreat, to the tube, during 'Brown Sugar'
and i experienced no problems.

Date: August 22, 2007 11:13

thtas a plan, but i dont really want to miss anything. anyway wait for the rush.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:23

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:26

Adrian-L Wrote:
> Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What was the Q for tube like after the gig ?
>
>
> i beat a hasty retreat, to the tube, during 'Brown
> Sugar'
> and i experienced no problems.

wonder how many will do this on sunday?.. winking smiley

Date: August 22, 2007 11:31

DoughboyUK Wrote:
> Adrian-L Wrote:
> -----
> > Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > What was the Q for tube like after the gig ?
> >
> >
> > i beat a hasty retreat, to the tube, during
> 'Brown
> > Sugar'
> > and i experienced no problems.
>
>
> wonder how many will do this on sunday?.. winking smiley

I left at the end of the show, easy access to tube and back in West End by 1130. No problem.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:35

Just to add my tuppence worth!
Loved the O2 - a bit Disney but a great all-in venue. Noticed the Indigo2 on the way out which should be interesting for smaller gigs.
Ronnie Wood is playing superbly at the end of this tour and Keith much improved from Paris back in June.
Agree with the comments on JJF - wonderful last night.
I'd call it a 98% sell-out.Just a few empty seats that I could see I know for a fact that there were empty seats where people had bought a ticket but not turned up. I know because I bought 3 tickets and only used 2! My view from Block 106 just fine and I don't think there's a bad seat in the place, though yes it does look a bit steep at the top. Security no problem where we were and I was up on my feet from the word go (sat down only for YGTS).
Cameras should be easy to get in. I didn't take mine cos I'm back on Thursday and Sunday so I'll get some shots then.
Crowd for me just fine - a bit restive on songs they don't know, is all.

Date: August 22, 2007 11:36

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
>
> I left at the end of the show, easy access to tube
> and back in West End by 1130. No problem.

good to see you and your pal, enjoying youselves, in the same block as myself.
acoustics were great, weren't they?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:36

Ditto. And the carriages were not that crowded. I even got a seat!

Posted by: warby ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:40

Another Review Here

[www.thisislondon.co.uk]

Here is the txt.

Stellar Stones prove time is on their side
By David Smyth, Evening Standard 22.08.07
More reviews by David Smyth
David Smyth
Not fading away: The Rolling Stones' latest tour showcased a barrage of hits, and proved that it is not only age that fails to wither this seemingly unstoppable band of rockers

Exactly two years since they set off around the world for the umpteenth time, the Rolling Stones' latest tour is finally put to bed with three London shows this week. Yet for once, no one is speculating that these concerts, the band's first indoor gigs in London since 2003, will be their last.

That's because this Bigger Bang tour has proved beyond doubt that it is not only age that shall fail to wither them, but also censorship in both China and America, laryngitis (Mick Jagger), rehab (Ronnie Wood) and a freak run-in with a Fijian coconut tree (Keith Richards). That they still seemed unstoppable when they took to the stage here was with good reason.

"Start me up, I'll never stop" was the first line sung by Jagger, who dominated the vast space with the same manic strut he has employed since the Sixties. His left hand was the busiest thing on the stage, constantly pointing, beckoning and sending away. Later he swapped his microphone for a hands-free headset and really let the gesticulations fly.

Both he and Wood sported clothes so tight they must have been borrowed from their daughters, only their sunken cheeks suggesting that their aged bodies might cave in on themselves at any moment.

Charlie Watts, in jeans and a white T-shirt, occupied the drum stool with quietly amused dignity, emphasising that this rock and roll lark is all too easy with the occasional effortless jazz fill.

Wood traded ragged guitar solos and affectionate embraces with Richards, who moved in slow motion and looked as if he hadn't slept in days, but still received the biggest cheer of the evening during the introductions.

With a watch on each wrist, shiny things dangling all over the place and recklessly smoking a cigarette, he even got away with the musical low point of the evening, his mangled solo vocals on You Got The Silver and Wanna Hold You, with a simple "I know I'm bad".

He may not get invited to any more cremations, but his appearances with this band are still adored.

Experts in what is expected of them, the group dealt with the promotion of the album after which the tour is named in just one song, the crass but lively Rough Justice. After that the classics came at speed, including Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice and the concluding Brown Sugar.

As with most sixtysomethings, they had a saggy middle - 1978's weary Beast Of Burden followed by rambling jam Can't You Hear Me Knocking - but spirited James Brown homage I'll Go Crazy picked up the pace again.

The most spectacular moment came during Respectable, when the centre of the stage moved slowly forwards like a launching ship and sailed to the back of the room, band and all.

A concluding barrage of hits including an epic Sympathy For The Devil, the fierce intensity of Paint It Black and a climactic Jumping Jack Flash, reinforced the reasons why thousands worldwide will never tire of seeing the Rolling Stones play live.

We'll now have to wait a few years for the opportunity to come around again, but undoubtedly it will come. Until next time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-22 11:41 by warby.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:55

Re: That Evening standard review above - more bollocks from lazy journo's who simply don't know their subject. The B stage got moving during IORR, not Respectable. Whilst anyone can have an opinion to say that the show sagged during BoB and Can't You Hear Me Knocking or that YGTS was a musical low point when Ronnies playing was simply outstanding, well for us lot here I'm sure it's plain offensive.

Much as I usually deride the Sun they did a better job; don't go into detail when you don't know the facts. And as a one line summary goes they said it all: "a class act that is worth the exortionate ticket prices."

Date: August 22, 2007 12:15

As Adrian-L has already mentioned, I can confirm that the view and sound in the 400 numbered blocks on the 4th level was far better than anticipated with far more atmosphere than I could have hoped for. An interesting 'birds eye' view on proceedings in fact and great to see the B stage float towards us from that angle - something you miss if you are standing right next to it.

Ronnie's guitar sounded particularly strong especially on CYHMK which was truly wonderful as was You Got The Silver - two real high points for me. During the B stage set, we did sneak in downstairs without any problem to join friends in their Block 101 seats and gain yet another perspective for the rest of the show. A fantastic evening in what is turning out to be a superb week of music around London.

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:15

LolA Wrote:
> tylerdurden2001 Wrote:
> -----
> > Bloody awful audience, worst I have ever seen at
> a
> > Stones concert and this was my 15th. I have
> NEVER
> > been asked to sit down for christs sake.
>
> Do you mean people stayed sat?? What if you don't?
> What about the front rows, were people sat as
> well?? No way to move around??

I was in the top tier and they stayed sat. I might be wrong be it seemed like people were standing at the front of the floor but not further back. I got asked to sit down after Let It Bleed and I kid you not, everyone in my section only stood for Satisfaction and Paint It Black, it was like they were dead. When I think of all of the hours I have stood in a crush at Wembley to get a decent view, these people couldn't stand for 2 hours in a reserved space while the band was on stage. I preferred the nosebleeds at Twickenham in 2003, I wasn't looking forward to that one but even though I was further away I felt closer to the gig because everyone was up and dancing.

My faith in Stones fans was restored on the way home though. There were a couple of blokes next to me giving the mentally ill's version of Stones history. It started out with one of them who seemed to have gone just because his mate got tickets - "Its a pity the Kooks didn't come out and do a number with them, Jagger was probably worried they would show them up". Then they started on about Brian Jones, and the Kooks fan seemed to have seen Stoned but even then hadn't taken it in. He asked his mate if Jones was still in the band when he died, which he replied yes, before it got completed screwed "That is when they did Stones in the Park, the film - what film, Stoned - no, In The Park - what park - Hyde Park - what has Hyde Park got to do with it".

I caught the eye of the bloke opposite me who was also listening and just rolled my eyes and as we were getting off he said to me he was just trying to work out which one of them he wanted to hit first, I pissed myself laughing. Problem is this prat probably got a better seat than me! Then I saw probably a 20 year old kid with his girlfriend on the second train, clearly excited as hell at having been to the show and talking to anyone walking by in a Stones shirt. I don't know why but I always love seeing people who have gone to their first show and are just blown away, you wish you could be that excited just to be there again!

Date: August 22, 2007 12:16

So is the security a problem or not? Mixed opinions? I hate being told to sit down, i won,t, i won,t i tell you.

Date: August 22, 2007 12:24

So yo can move to emtpt seats in other areas ? i'm in blk 105. I mean after all Ya Gotta Move !

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:33

Anybody on block 110? what was it like and anybody use the thames clipper?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:41

Harm wrote:

"Ronnie's solos have all been excellent during the gigs I saw"

That's my impression too!

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:43

madmaxx Wrote:
> Empty seats does not mean they were not sold.
>
> The touts were definately asking way too much for
> the tickets they held.
>
> $1879 for 1 ticket row 5 blk A 3 is seriously
> taking the piss.

LOL I gave my mate a ticket in that exact location and he still wasn't too impressed! He's not much of a fan...I'm trying to show him what he's missing...

Lee

Posted by: warby ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:44

Mail Article on Smoking fine for 02
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

02 bosses face massive fine after Rolling Stones light up on stage
Last updated at 10:26am on 22nd August 2007

Bosses of the O2 arena face a fine of several thousand pounds today after the Rolling Stones smoked cigarettes on stage.

Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood drew cheers from the 20,000-strong crowd as they openly flouted the ban during last night's gig and forced frantic stewards to warn onlookers that they would be thrown out if they followed the guitarists' example.

Scroll down for more...

One member of the audience said: "It was a great rock'n'roll moment. Keith looked around nonchalantly, lit up a fag and had it dangling from his mouth as he played a solo.

He didn't seem to care and smoked the fag for at least five minutes. People around me started saying, 'Well if he can do it, why can't we?' But the stewards warned them they would be turfed out."

Greenwich Council was today planning to make an example of the venue's owners AEG and show them that performers are not above the law. A council spokesman said: "We will be reminding the O2 of their obligations to enforce the smoking legislation."

The fine for a venue that allows the ban to be flouted is £2,500.

A spokesman from antismoking group Ash said: "Unless Keith Richards is going to claim that smoking is an integral part of his performance, he has no defence."

Last night's 21/2-hour sell-out gig was the first night of the UK leg of the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang tour.

O2 bosses are going to ask the band today to curb their rebellious streak for two more gigs planned at the arena for Thursday and Sunday.

It is not the first time that Richards, the flamboyant 63-year-old guitarist, has flouted the smoking ban.

During a gig in Scotland's Hampden Park last year he lit up repeatedly and flicked butts into the crowd but was not fined by Glasgow Council.

A spokeswoman for the O2 said today: "A band member appeared to have a cigarette on stage. We're sure it was an oversight and are grateful for the co-operation."

Date: August 22, 2007 12:51

> A spokeswoman for the O2 said today:
"A band member appeared to have a cigarette on stage.
We're sure it was an oversight and are grateful for the co-operation."

Lol, i'm sure it was

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 13:04

A spokesman from antismoking group Ash said: "Unless Keith Richards is going to claim that smoking is an integral part of his performance, he has no defence."

I think he could easily claim that!!!

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 13:07

tylerdurden2001 Wrote:
> Bloody awful audience, worst I have ever seen at a
> Stones concert and this was my 15th. I have NEVER
> been asked to sit down for christs sake. Surely if
> you want to sit and watch the Stones you could buy
> the DVD, it is cheaper.
>

Where were you sitting, tyler?
Certainly everybody was on their feet all the way through in my section.

Lee

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 22, 2007 13:48

Fantastic show and my seat was so much better than I thought it would be! Clear view and the acoustics were indeed great

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 22, 2007 13:52

Anybody sitting in C2? How was it?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 22, 2007 14:00

+++just in +++ by iorr correspondents TooTough, Thomas M and salar+++

So here is our small review from last night`s
first homecoming show:

venue: Like another poster wrote: a bit like Disney, no Stones
music in the bars, Stones fans from almost everywhere from Stonesplanet.
We met Daniel N., had a beer and shared some good old Stones stories
from our personal past. Hope you got your plane in time!

audience: a bit lame during the first songs, especially the A-blocks,
but the Stones know how to get them going, when they roll over to the
b-stage everybody is ON / fortunately the pitch blocks were standing
the whole show

gig/setlist: if you say it in a harsh way: it was a stadium setlist with
NO big surprises, Burden of cause was a nice treat, but a common song /
all the others were played very regularly, the last third was predictable /
if you put it friendly you won`t see or hear a Stones
show like yesterday in a stadium, the band plays, acts and reacts faster,
more intense and better than in an arena

band: Mick = master of the game

Charlie: safe as the Bank Of England, when he was drumming on the b-stage
we witnessed how heavy he was hitting the snare, HE IS THE MOTOR, impressive
to see and hear him so close

Keith: was welcomed warmly several times and was really touched / his eyes are
back, he is wide awake and slimmer / his performance was not as focused as
the other`s, he just could have played more, in "Gottaholdya" he just didn=t
do antything in 7/8 of the song, but all in all he is in better shape than 2
months before

Ronnie: reliable, he was carrying most of the show on his fragile shoulders,
80% of the guitar sound was his`, he was brilliant on slide and often covered up Keith`s rhythm part, a great show as we have witnessed all summer

highlights: Let It Bleed, You Got The Silver, Paint It Black, Satisfaction (the most powerful and stripped down version we have heard in years), JJF with distorted and brutal sound at the end - fantastic!

We are looking forward to the 2 shows, it would be great to add one song and shake the setlist up a bit, come on, it`s an arena show at home -

The Stones could risk much more here!

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: August 22, 2007 14:16

Hi all.

Thank you so much for all the reviews, related info and pics.

Next sunday I´ll be on the upper tier.
I want to Stand up, dancing and shouting oe, oe, oe, oe,
same as they do in BAires, Barcelona, San Sebastian or Porto.
I dond´t pay for a seat in the 02
I just pay for enjoy the boyzs´show.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 22, 2007 14:26

Thanks for pics and reviews guys.

Hope you all had a great evening

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home