Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Waiting On A Friend 1981 Video Shoot in East Village
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 9, 2017 19:36

Testify
Impressed by the pictures and the story. Thanks so much !

smileys with beer
thanks for looking & commenting

Date: April 10, 2017 15:55

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 04:34 by schillid.

Date: April 21, 2017 19:04

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 04:34 by schillid.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 22, 2017 01:33

schillid
custom dishtowels

LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 9, 2019 17:54

I visited that famous doorway day before yesterday. What a great vibe. I was sorry the recently opened "Waiting on a Friend" bar had closed.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 9, 2019 18:22

Date: June 9, 2019 18:35

so long ago

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2019 19:24

Always a great thread to revisit. thumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:42

Thanks for the stills! A cool surprise!
I always liked that video and also the song.

Re: 1981 VIDEO SHOOT in EAST VILLAGE Waiting On A Friend
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:46

mtaylor
schillid
Photos © schillid

Reposting these for posterity...
I'll add links to original iorr threads and re-postings, etc. regarding Waiting On A Friend video shoot in 1981 later...

Bill ready for all kind of "shots" smileys with beer

OMG There's Bill!
BILL, BILL!
Love me some Bill.
go Bill!!
i don't even remember him in that video but those girls look very talented.
i guess i got to watch it again; in slow motion; did someone link it?

Re: 1981 VIDEO SHOOT in EAST VILLAGE Waiting On A Friend
Date: June 10, 2019 03:14

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-10 06:41 by schillid.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: June 10, 2019 06:28

Somebody referred to Keith and Ron's actions at the bar as practicing "cool calisthenics". That phrase has always stuck with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-10 06:30 by keithglimmer.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 10, 2019 17:15

Wonderful post, thank you!

Re: 1981 VIDEO SHOOT in East Village for Waiting On A Friend
Date: June 10, 2019 18:08

Posted by: Ellipooh ()
Date: June 11, 2019 01:45

New to me, too. Thanks for sharing!

re Waiting video in the link: Not exactly a "high concept" video, but still one of my very favorites. I just grin through the whole thing.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

***Can't you hear me knocking?***

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 12, 2019 13:23

Palace Revolution 2000
Schillid, did you put Charlie on that trash can?

I put Charlie on the trash can. - Exile Stones

exilestones

New York City USA Rolling Stones travel advices
Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: July 21, 2023 07:52

I’m leaving Alabama and going to NYC. I was wanting to know if the 66 Stones shoot in drag and the stoop on St. Marks were safe to photograph. My wife and 14 year old daughter are going, should I take a cab to visit or ride the subway and walk? Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-06 14:46 by bv.

Re: Going to NYC need Stones advice on areas
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2023 08:02

I would not take the subway these days. NYC is akin to the ‘70’s version of the city these days.

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: July 21, 2023 08:08

Thanks! Are those safe area’s for a family?

Date: July 21, 2023 10:21

VoodooLounge13
I would not take the subway these days. NYC is akin to the ‘70’s version of the city these days.
Is this for real ?

(Serious question from someone who has plans to visit NYC in the next years)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 21, 2023 10:49

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 21, 2023 13:27

1975 tour announcement on a flatbed truck 5th Ave and 10th St.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 21, 2023 14:44

PaintMonkeyManBlack
VoodooLounge13
Is this for real ?

Not sure it's as bad as the 70s but has certainly gotten worse since COVID.

NYC Crime - NY Post

Re: New York City USA Stones travel advices
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 21, 2023 14:54

During the day, I believe you're safe on the subways but stand back while waiting for the train. I am an older woman who has taken the subway in the past and in recent days. Be aware, as you would be in any big city.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2023 15:26

PaintMonkeyManBlack
VoodooLounge13
Is this for real ?

Yes, I was being serious. I wouldn't take the subway. The East Village should be OK. But generally, the city is not what it was and crime is rampant. Even in broad daylight at times. Homelessness has increased, assaults/muggings are high. I've talked to folks in the emergency services and they say it's far worse even than what's reported on the mainstream media outlets. I would definitely keep your wits about you.

I saw a post from steffalicia indicating that she's taken the subway of late. I've not been to the city since last February with my X, and all we did was a drive-by. With everything going on, neither of us felt safe parking and walking around. There were folks - tourists - there moving about. Still not to the levels in was pre-COVID, but it all looked and felt different. Haven't been back since.

In a few years' time it could be back - I doubt it. I think it's going to take a long, long time for the city to come back, but it will eventually turnaround again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 15:27 by VoodooLounge13.

Re: New York City USA Stones travel advices
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 21, 2023 15:30

If you visit St. Mark’s Place, it is worth remembering that the shoot was done in front of the same buildings featured on the album cover of Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin.

[americansongwriter.com].

Regarding the subway. The first time I visited New York was around the end of Summer 1988 (which was also my first American trip). I used subway late at night, sometimes around midnight. I had to, because some of my rides were return journeys from gigs. I vividly remember a couple of nights there was nobody on the carriage but me. Fortunately nothing happened, but it was quite an experience.

Posted by: TooTight ()
Date: July 21, 2023 16:02

VoodooLounge13
PaintMonkeyManBlack
VoodooLounge13
Is this for real ?

Yes, I was being serious. I wouldn't take the subway. The East Village should be OK. But generally, the city is not what it was and crime is rampant. Even in broad daylight at times. Homelessness has increased, assaults/muggings are high. I've talked to folks in the emergency services and they say it's far worse even than what's reported on the mainstream media outlets. I would definitely keep your wits about you.

I saw a post from steffalicia indicating that she's taken the subway of late. I've not been to the city since last February with my X, and all we did was a drive-by. With everything going on, neither of us felt safe parking and walking around. There were folks - tourists - there moving about. Still not to the levels in was pre-COVID, but it all looked and felt different. Haven't been back since.

In a few years' time it could be back - I doubt it. I think it's going to take a long, long time for the city to come back, but it will eventually turnaround again.

This is a laughable fable about the current state of New York from someone who spends no time here.

Like any city, mind your surroundings and you'll be fine. Subways are as safe as any other city.

Waiting on a Friend stoop is photographable and you can sit on it (have done so). The original bar is gone, but there's a nice place there where it once was (it changes owners every few years from what I've seen).

There's a few more spots around that aren't from the Stones but Stones-adjacent. I have a few go-to's I'll put together.

Signed,

Someone living in this crime-ridden hell-hole

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: July 21, 2023 18:10

I have a photo of myself taken on the steps . Near by is what used to be the foyer of The Fillmore East ,Its now a Bank.A lovely area and not a far walk from Bleeker Street.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 21, 2023 18:23

VoodooLounge13
PaintMonkeyManBlack
VoodooLounge13
Is this for real ?

Gimme a break~!
You obvioulsy watch too much FOX news and take all their propaganda at word.
NYC is still a safe and wonderful place.
Yes there is crime and homelessness but that is in almost every big city in the USA.
The subways have gotten much better and you will notice a large police presence in most of the high volume stations.

"This towns in tatters, my brains been shattered"!!!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 21, 2023 18:33

welshphil
A lovely area and not a far walk from Bleeker Street.

It’s not that far from Bowery Street, either. I saw Tom Tom Club at the CBGB as a tourist punk. On my way back to the Times Square Hotel where I stayed (another dodgy place according to the locals), I was with a punter from Switzerland. There was nobody but us two on the subway train.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home