Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: exact adress of waiting on a friend house
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: February 27, 2014 19:14

Just out of interest, does anyone know the connection -if indeed there is one, as to why the Stones chose that very building/stairs to film WOAF. It has to be more than coincidental, there are millions of buildings not unsimilar around New York and it seems strange that they would opt for exactly the same one as Zeppelin. It's something which has always puzzled me and I have never found any reason for the connection.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 27, 2014 19:18

guitarbastard
i'm in NY right now and wnated to see the house/stairway where mick and keith are sitting in the WOAF-vid. i found information that its the same building as led zeppelins physical graffiti cover. but if i compare the streetview shots with the video it doesn't look the same. so what is the exact adress? thanks alot!

96-98 St. Marks Place

It's in the vicinity of St. Mark’s Bar (presently V Bar) on the corner of 1st Avenue and St. Marks’ where Mick & Keith meet the other three Stones.

St. Mark's Place is considered a main cultural street for the East Village, so the setting suited their NYC-based lives at the time. This from "Ray":

What a great video, bringing back great memories of a really great time back in the east village of NYC. Tosh at the time was hanging with Mick and Keith a whole lot (just having finished up Pete’s Bush Doctor album, which they both collaborated on his version of the Temptation’s “Gonna Walk and Don’t Look Back”).

Would see Keith hanging in many of the local bars and clubs (especially the Ritz) around that time…he had a loft somewhere near Broadway and Great Jones at the time.

I remember when they shot this video down at the St Marks Bar and Grill, was lined up for hours hoping to get inside as an extra…but no luck.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 19:34 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: February 27, 2014 19:39

On the Stoop of Rock ‘n’ Roll History

[eastvillage.thelocal.nytimes.com]

Date: February 27, 2014 19:42

crumbling_mice
Just out of interest, does anyone know the connection -if indeed there is one, as to why the Stones chose that very building/stairs to film WOAF. It has to be more than coincidental...I have never found any reason for the connection.

Peter Corriston

The cover for Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti was designed by Peter Corriston, a graphic design artist from New York. Peter said that he was looking for a building with a lot of character, which this building has with all the kings’ faces and it has that tenement-style feel with the fire escapes. He wanted a building that had symmetry and a lot of windows.”

Peter Corriston also did the design for ‘Tattoo You’ and ‘Some Girls’.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: February 27, 2014 19:53

Keith had been known to drop in at the Holiday Cocktail Lounge on the other side of 1st Ave.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 27, 2014 20:40

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 27, 2014 23:13

Cool to read all the history of the place, and thanks for the location info. I think I'll try to find it next time I'm in NYC. Hopefully it will be warmer outside then!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 01:08 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 27, 2014 23:43

I got the requisite photo taken of myself standing outside it, which thankfully I seem to have lost so I don't feel obliged to post it!

I'd wondered what the connection was, too, good to know.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 28, 2014 01:05

But then I remembered
[/quote]

This is what I really want to see in NYC!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 01:07 by latebloomer.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2014 02:36

There used to be a very nice little bakery named STICKY FINGERS just across the avenue. They had the greatest hot chockolate I have tasted, on a cold New York day, but sadly they are out of business now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: February 28, 2014 07:09

The nabe is being gutted by greedy landlords. I've lived there since 82.
Still see Michael Lydon frequently, author of Rolling Stones Discover America.

Date: February 28, 2014 10:20

Aquamarine
I got the requisite photo taken of myself standing outside it, which thankfully I seem to have lost so I don't feel obliged to post it!

I take it back.

And no, I didn't get any Asian Body Work.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 28, 2014 11:45

What years were these pics taken in? The shop to the right needs a new paint job.

Date: February 28, 2014 15:43

Great photos ! and a partial explanation, but still I'm wondering out of all of New York it still seems strange that the Stones and Zeppelin chose that building...seemingly without relevance to each other. Obviously the Zeppeling cover came first, so when the Stones decided they wanted to shoot a video for WOAF who made the decision to pick that street and why and surely it must have been in the mind that it was the same building Zeppelin used.

I'm obviously not a New Yorker and have seen only a fraction of that city, I understand it's in a trendy place, but was it trendy then? There must have been so many options regarding the location, even if Keith lived close I can't imagine that was the reason alone...maybe I'm getting too deep with this and it is purely coincidence...confused smiley

Date: February 28, 2014 17:30

crumbling_mice
Great photos ! and a partial explanation, but still I'm wondering out of all of New York it still seems strange that the Stones and Zeppelin chose that building...seemingly without relevance to each other. Obviously the Zeppeling cover came first, so when the Stones decided they wanted to shoot a video for WOAF who made the decision to pick that street and why and surely it must have been in the mind that it was the same building Zeppelin used.

I'm obviously not a New Yorker and have seen only a fraction of that city, I understand it's in a trendy place, but was it trendy then? There must have been so many options regarding the location, even if Keith lived close I can't imagine that was the reason alone...maybe I'm getting too deep with this and it is purely coincidence...confused smiley

From Wikipedia:

The album's sleeve design features a photograph of a New York City tenement block, with interchanging window illustrations. The album designer, Peter Corriston, was looking for a building that was symmetrical with interesting details, that was not obstructed by other objects and would fit the square album cover. He said: "We walked around the city for a few weeks looking for the right building. I had come up [with] a concept for the band based on the tenement, people living there and moving in and out. The original album featured the building with the windows cut out on the cover and various sleeves that could be placed under the cover, filling the windows with the album title, track information or liner notes."

The two five-story buildings photographed for the album cover are located at 96 and 98 St. Mark's Place in New York City. The original photograph underwent a number of tweaks to arrive at the final image. The fifth floor of the building had to be cropped out to fit the square album cover format. The buildings to the left and right were also changed to match the style of the double front. Tiles were added on the roof section along with more faces. Part of the top right railing balcony was left out for a whole window frame to be visible. The front cover is a daytime shot, while the back cover (above) was taken at night.

Mike Doud is listed as the cover artist on the inner sleeve, and either the concept or design or both were his. He passed away in the early 1990s, and this album design was one of his crowning achievements in a lifetime of design. In 1976 the album was nominated for a Grammy Award in the category of best album package. (Doud would later win a Grammy for best album cover of the year in 1980, for Supertramp's Breakfast in America).

The buildings on the album cover were the same ones that Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were filmed in front of in The Rolling Stones music video "Waiting on a Friend". There was a used clothing store in the basement of 96 St. Mark's Place called Physical Graffiti. There is currently a shop called Physical Graffitea. The building has been profiled on the television show, Rock Junket.

The original album jacket for the LP album included four covers made up of two inners (for each disc), a middle insert cover and an outer cover. The inner covers depict various objects and people (including photos of Plant and Richard Cole in drag) on each window. The middle insert cover is white and details all the album track listings and recording information. The outer cover has die-cut windows on the building, so when the middle cover is wrapped around the inner covers and slid into the outer cover, the title of the album is shown on the front cover, spelling out the name "Physical Graffiti".

Date: February 28, 2014 17:38

Yes, I;ve read the wiki stuff which explains clearly why they chose it for the Zeppelin cover...it doesn;t explain why the Stones chose to film at that particular exact spot!

Date: February 28, 2014 17:52

crumbling_mice
Yes, I;ve read the wiki stuff which explains clearly why they chose it for the Zeppelin cover...it doesn;t explain why the Stones chose to film at that particular exact spot!

Maybe as simple as Peter Corriston was involved. Or maybe they had some connection to the corner bar and decided to shoot there and decided on adding the Mick and Keith sequence at the beginning which is just down the street. Maybe decided to pay homage to Zep, so they added that building stoop. Or maybe....

Date: February 28, 2014 19:00

Ha ha ...yes, that's what I was thinking. 'or maybe'!

Date: February 28, 2014 20:09

Date: February 28, 2014 20:24

crumbling_mice

New theory: the guy at the window (in the video between 2:14 and 2:19) was Keith's pusher as well as it was JPage's before???

By the way... WHO IS THIS GUY? (am willing to pay 20 bucks for the info)

Date: March 1, 2014 03:23

MingSubu
What years were these pics taken in? The shop to the right needs a new paint job.

2010/ smiling smiley

Stones NYC Photo Locations
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 28, 2016 21:58

The Rolling Stones - Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow - 1966 - Location: in front of 124 East 24th Street, New York, between Park Avenue South and Lexington Avenue.

(Label: Decca (UK) / London(US) - photo: Jerry Schatzberg)

----------------

Here's another shot from the same session, with the Stones out of drag. This is a British version of their first greatest hits album.

(Label: Decca (UK) / London(US) - photo: Jerry Schatzberg)

[www.popspotsnyc.com]

Re: Stones NYC Photo Locations
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 04:40

Oh wow that's really cool! I saw a similar thing recently, but it was with some of Bob Dylan's album covers. I think it was even the same guy who did these, come to think of it. Thanks very much for posting this!

Posted by: Ryttern ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:13

Thats just amazing, how did you find out? Se attached image from Google Street view, looks pretty similar except from the AC´s in the windows.

Posted by: GimmieAnswers ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:53

Cool, more of this please !!!

Posted by: Ryttern ()
Date: March 29, 2016 16:11

Any other contributions to this list of locations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 17:28 by Ryttern.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 29, 2016 17:09

Ryttern
Any other contributions to this list of locations?

This has come up before, if you search the forum for "St Marks Place", you'll find a bunch of other threads. Make sure to set the search options to All Dates. thumbs up

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:22

I was researching everything I could find on the Waiting on a Friend video location. I came across this website. As always, I thought others would be interested.

There are more pages of album cover photo shoot locations but it's for other groups and various places...

[www.popspotsnyc.com]

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

[www.nycgo.com]

[www.buzzfeed.com]

[www.nydailynews.com]

The list goes on and on. Google: album cover locations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 18:25 by exilestones.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:38

the corner of west 8th street & 6th avenue

[www.google.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 18:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 29, 2016 20:04

1ST AVENUE............................{/color]

ST. MARKS PLACE

ST. MARKS PLACE

Google Street View

ST. MARKS PLACE

See: HERE

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home