Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Something is really wrong with Keith
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 30, 2007 20:09

I heard dr Feelgood didnt like this thread!

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: June 30, 2007 20:10

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-30 20:11 by monkeyman07.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 30, 2007 20:17

open-g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > he's half tone off -
> >
> > Happens to the best of us to be one fret off -
> > especially after indulging in party favors.
>
>
> Agree - it has happend to me, you get a fiercy
> look of your band colleagues - then it's over.
> next song.
> now if there's a bummed solo of Keith on YouTube
> it gets watched and discussed over and over.
> it didn't spoil the whole show for those who were
> there - maybe some cringed for a moment, but I bet
> most folks didn't even notice.
>
> just like RiffKichards above, innocently stated:
>
> >>I have checked.. It sounds OK for me.. a little
> bit unusual but OK.. I have heard worse from
> him..
>
> You think it is bad played ?<<
>
> and thats OK. Keith has proved many times that
> he's the Riffmaster - don't worry about one off.

One off? He has really proved he's not sharp, or in time this year. His playing is not just about the notes but timing, feeling etc and besides, he's sounded insecure and with the solos in the wrong key every other show I would say something happended yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-30 20:17 by LA FORUM.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 30, 2007 20:29

Spud Wrote:
> I keep promising that I'll leave these threads
> alone
> ...But I've never had any will power ;^)
>
> 1, It's hardly news that Keith Richards can be
> erratic. It always and still is primarily because
> his nature is to wing everything... and he
> sometimes get himself lost in that world of his
> own that he wanders off into

"hardly news that Keith Richards can be erratic" ?

ok, but in past I did not remember him playing nearly entire song (not just solo, listen to his last note at ending of song!) like HTW in Madrid in wrong key.

> 2, If Keith Richards started to LOOK healthy,
> there would be someting wrong with him.

oh, this old sex, drugs, r&r myth...but sometime its wise to grow up.

> 3, I haven't seen a whole show yet this year..but
> go and watch the IOW footage from Channel 4...and
> then tell me theres something wrong with him.

ok but thats two songs and they had a whole show to choose from. listen to Love In Vain and tell me its more than just kinda helpness noodling that Keith does...

Date: June 30, 2007 20:35

Check this from Madrid!

wipeacdc@hotmail.com

Date: June 30, 2007 20:36

And heres HTW from IOW and something sounds wrong here too, maybe his fingers hurt?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 30, 2007 20:41

LA FORUM Wrote:
> One off? He has really proved he's not sharp, or
> in time this year. His playing is not just about
> the notes but timing, feeling etc and besides,
> he's sounded insecure and with the solos in the
> wrong key every other show I would say something
> happended yesterday.

a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-ly agree, LA FORUM. this goes faaaaaaaar beyond "one off". apart from that, concerning HTW in Madrid, those people try to tell us that it is nothing wrong that Keith not only starts solo in wrong key, but plays through in wrong key until the very last note he plays in HTW - as if he doesnt even notice it! fact is that a professional like Keith should be able to notice that he plays in wrong key and be able to quickly change key!!! I mean its Keith and not your local guitar player from your local school band!!!!

and if he does not hear himself and there are often technical problems as some believe with monitors etc. its time to stop the gigantic show shit and play in a setup that emphasizes on the music (like halls or even clubs), otherwise Keith ends up like a clown who people dont take serious anymore - but of course there will still be people who applaud to the gigantic stage, the lights, the show effects like b-stage, and the excitement to see the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-30 20:43 by alimente.

Date: June 30, 2007 20:41

monkeyman07 Wrote:
> Check this from Madrid!
>

Yeah but who's playing?

Date: June 30, 2007 20:45

LA FORUM Wrote:
> monkeyman07 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Check this from Madrid!
> >

>
>
> Yeah but who's playing?

They are playing!
Kiff does it perfect with his riffs and sometimes with chukberry's solo licks and ronnie plays the damn solo!!

Date: June 30, 2007 21:34

And Blondie riffs too.

Date: June 30, 2007 21:38

C'mon , dont you see it , stop bashing the stones!

wipeacdc@hotmail.com

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 30, 2007 22:53

I'm very glad I've seen terrific Stones shows in the US during '05-06, with both Ron and Keith playing great and connecting more than they were in '03 (& consequently the keys/horns less dominant in the mix). I deeply hope Keith recovers from whatever ails him.

Date: June 30, 2007 22:59

john r Wrote:
> I'm very glad I've seen terrific Stones shows in
> the US during '05-06, with both Ron and Keith
> playing great and connecting more than they were
> in '03 (& consequently the keys/horns less
> dominant in the mix). I deeply hope Keith recovers
> from whatever ails him.

Now that is the truth, I like the sound, it's much better, but, in that clip monkeyman, Blondie also plays (a lot) and that's ok, but it's not really proof of Keith playing well, cause he simply is not. He sings great on YGTS though. And he probably is better in smaller venues. Anyone can hammer JJF. Only he can do it great.

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: June 30, 2007 23:03

He is just a human being - he is getting older and older plus he has a moustache - it makes him look different and well be honest - older too. And we - fans - started to pay more and more attention to details:
mistakes always happened since the early beggining - part of the gig;

Keith always had problems with singing while playing a guitar;

You Got The Silver is meant to be without a guitar, some reports from people that Keith was 'drunk' somewhere this tour during this song probably came from this that we are not used to Keith without a guitar. And his spectacle can be misunderstood - all his dancing to Ronnie;

he tended to have problems with remembering voice - when last time he did Happy 100% correct? My friend Ulf from Sweden used to say this song is always messy live and that's why he loves it.

It's because this song is meant to be like that - listen to original recording from Exile !

PEOPLE - calm down - support him - spread your love to him - enjoy The Stones on tour. This is Rolling Stones and mistakes are part of the gig. Not only Keith @#$%& up. Mick does. Charlie does. Ronnie does. It's not because they are unhealthy, drunk, wasted or "something is really wrong" with them.

IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS !

I love them they way they are,

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 30, 2007 23:06

that blondie cat does not play guitar for the rolling stones...
leave me in my blessed denial, please...
photographic or film evidence will not suffice...
if it happened right in front of my own eyes i would still refuse to believe it.
blondie does not play guitar in the rolling stones...
whatever they got goin' on...whatever...blondie does not play guitar in the rolling stones...
i can take a lot of pain...and do...but here's my happy psychotic break and i do insist on having it..."blondie" does not play guitar in the rolling stones...
something is really wrong with blondie playing guitar in the rolling stones

Date: June 30, 2007 23:27

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
And we -
> fans - started to pay more and more attention to
> details:
> mistakes always happened since the early beggining
> - part of the gig;
>
> Keith always had problems with singing while
> playing a guitar;
>
> You Got The Silver is meant to be without a
> guitar, some reports from people that Keith was
> 'drunk' somewhere this tour during this song
> probably came from this that we are not used to
> Keith without a guitar. And his spectacle can be
> misunderstood - all his dancing to Ronnie;
>
> he tended to have problems with remembering voice
> - when last time he did Happy 100% correct? My
> friend Ulf from Sweden used to say this song is
> always messy live and that's why he loves it.

Uh? Yeah, but that's why I love those 70s versions, they are messy, rollin cool versions. These arent. The same fans who complain about the sloppy mid 70s seems to like Keiths "correct" versions. I dont give damn about correctness, I want music and coolness, the soundtrack of their lives, what ever that means, versions. YGTS is a fine example where he shines again. Happy hasnt been ok since 1978. It belongs in the 70s. It's totally pointless without the Glimmers sharing the mike, being out of it and howlin for their lives about being happy. It's all about that Twin chemestry and that's why I seriously hate the modern versions of that song. Makes him sound like an old man. And me bitter with a hangover.

THe complaints are not about details. It's the whole picture. Still, they can, and he can be great, I think their overall sound has improved, I dont think Ronnie contributes a lot, I ve heard the "tinkety" melody on JJF a thousand times. Keith hasnt lost his spell but something in this tour, maybe the sound system, probably his health issues (hearing?, fingers?, the injury?) shows.

>
> It's because this song is meant to be like that -
> listen to original recording from Exile !
>
>
> PEOPLE - calm down - support him - spread your
> love to him - enjoy The Stones on tour. This is
> Rolling Stones and mistakes are part of the gig.
> Not only Keith @#$%& up. Mick does. Charlie does.
> Ronnie does. It's not because they are unhealthy,
> drunk, wasted or "something is really wrong" with
> them.
>
> IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS !
>
> I love them they way they are,

Date: June 30, 2007 23:41

LA FORUM Wrote:

> Uh? Yeah, but that's why I love those 70s
> versions, they are messy, rollin cool versions.
> These arent. The same fans who complain about the
> sloppy mid 70s seems to like Keiths "correct"
> versions. I dont give damn about correctness, I
> want music and coolness, the soundtrack of their
> lives, what ever that means, versions. YGTS is a
> fine example where he shines again. Happy hasnt
> been ok since 1978. It belongs in the 70s. It's
> totally pointless without the Glimmers sharing the
> mike, being out of it and howlin for their lives
> about being happy. It's all about that Twin
> chemestry and that's why I seriously hate the
> modern versions of that song. Makes him sound like
> an old man. And me bitter with a hangover.

So - we are talking about individual tastes here ? I like this, but I don't like that? That's taste. That's not there is "something wrong with Keith", is it?

I do like 70s versions. I like modern versions.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 30, 2007 23:46

I'm not trying to hijack the board as I posted the following on the Madrid show thread, but this is my opinion on what I saw on that show, which is quite closed to what seemed to start this thread...

You can pass, if you fell it's too long.

(witness mode on)

"

Hi all. Finally back home after a trip to Madrid. Some people has stated before that they have mixed feelings about the Madrid gig, and I share that. It was a sometimes great, sometimes not-so-great show... As the journalist from El Pais, the main newspaper here in Spain, wrote the next day, the show had very great moments and some moments where all you could think was "my god, how old has become grandpa in the last year"...

The setlist: despite some people complaining about it, well, I must admit it was a pleasure for me seeing them perform She's So Cold, All Down The Line and Sway, all of them first-timers for me. I was looking for a surprise, but I honestly didn't expect for three of them, as the Stones here in Spain usually tend to do greatest-hits shows. BUT... I honestly find somewhat sad that 1) They finally managed to do a BIGGER BANG tour show with a grand total of songs from the ABB album of NONE. And 2) the newest song in the setlist was.... START ME UP... Amazing or what? The newest song in the setlist is 26 years old... But I repeat, after seeing All Down The Line for the first time live, I almost forgive them about those facts 1) and 2).

Mick and Charlie were as consistent in their performances as they always are, so it's not great news that they both work hard and deliver the goods as a Rolling Stone is supposed to do. Mick was amazing as always, he ran to the midfield during the encore Brown Sugar in a way that everybody in the audience older that fifteen would have spitted their lungs out of their body in case somebody would have the guts to run those seventy meters after two hours of dancing and singing as he did. HATS OFF TO MICK!!!

Ronnie deserves another HATS OFF to RONNIE... After being out of the wagon for some time he has become THE guitarist of the band, as hard as it sounds. He is not the soloist he was in the seventies, but he did some good solos and in my humble opinion he carried the show guitar-wise. My god, he even taught the chords of a few songs to Keith, who was noodling with his guitar more than the usual. Great performances on All Down The Line, You Got The Silver, even Sway and YCAGWYW had som good solos from him... He carried Brown Sugar and he did what he could to save some others... (On a side point, and dedicated to our dear Ssssoul, he showed a good collections of guitars that were new to me, like a SG Special, and a weird shaped guitar that looked something like a National or Versoul or something rare...). First hour: 80% playing-20% posing and laughing. Second (warhorses) half: Two thirds playing, one third posing. Woody has always been MY BELOVED Woody.

And finally Keith, the man himself, my rock'n'roll hero, the man that made me love this music, as well as blues and R&B, and that made me try to play something on guitar, and the man whose photos I download, and... Well, MY Keith... I honestly feel very sad after attending this gig. He seemed to me like somewhat out of this world (not that he was on earth on a good part of the seventies) but not like he was coked up or stoned or drunk... He simply seemed old... As the journalist wrote, grandpa suddenly has become old... And maybe he was a little drunk, too. The first hour of the show he was almost out of stage, at least to my ears, with Ronnie very busy covering his ass while he was noodling and trying to remember how She's So Cold was going (not that it is a song with 328 chord changes...) He recovered to play a great rockin' All Down The Line and the best ever version I've heard of Monkey Man. He did an average YCAGWYW and lost some of the plot on Sway. You Got The Silver: he did a good performance vocal-wise, but almost fell back on his bottom while going to where Woody was. When the song finished, Ronnie joked as he was to kick Keith with his guitar, as saying "the man is doing like a little kid". I almost prefer not to remember how sad "Happy" was, I know Keith never has been good remembering the lyrics to HIS TRADEMARK SONG, but he almost didn't play, missed the cue and clearly did signs to the rest of the band to end the song as quickly as possible. Honky Tonk Women also featured Keith almost falling out of the stage (thank god Darryl was near in case the man was too near the edge) and one of the most awful solos I've ever witnessed in a top act, he didn't end it, even, and all that after missing the intro to this song (how the hell can a guitarist noodle with the intro to HTW????). SFTD featured the now usual three-key-attempt-poor solo of nowadays. And then, some kind of a miracle happened: he did two great, great, @#$%& great Paint It Black (always loved by the spanish crowd, by the way) and JJF. While playing JJF, I went back to remember why Keith is the one, the best, the riffmaster, the king of cool: he was playing his ass off, smashing his black Custom Tele and made us remember again who is the power behind this band, that even nowadays, and after an not-too-great performance (or even near to poor and sad), he can deliver the goods although it's only for one song, but, hey, man, what a song, the greatest rock'n'roll single ever: JJF. (The encore Brown Sugar had again Ronnie carrying the weight of the song...)

I felt somewhat sad what I had witnessed: the Stones can deliver a good or great show, but after seeing Keith, I'm pretty sure that I never will see them live again, at least here in Spain... They are a great band, and if a guitarist has an off-night, the other will cover him (after all, the ancient art of weaving is a way to hide the mistakes the Tune-Up Twins make, innit??, LOL), but I honestly don't think Keith has the strenght to do another tour. In fact I highly doubt he has the interest in playing guitar as he had... He can be a lonesome bluesman, but I feel he can't carry the weight of a guitar driven rock'n'roll band anymore...

Anyway, I spent a great evening, jumping and dancing through two hours. I managed to meet a norwegian fan (Hi, Arve!), a great, great fan that I hope he enjoyed the show. The crow wasn't as hot as I had experienced in my five spanish gigs before, but maybe it was due to the spanish hardcores being somewhat spaced between four gigs in Spain...

(P.S. I'm not going to do the usual people-left-the-stadium-whith-smiling-faces comparison, because there were too many casual pimps there that would have left the stadium with smiling faces even if it was Christina Aguilera who had performed, such is the magnitude of the pyrotechnics our beloved band uses)

AND, HEY, WHAT A @#$%& GREAT JUMPIN JACK FLASH, MATES: YOU ALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE...
"

(witness mode off)

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Bob05 ()
Date: June 30, 2007 23:48

Well, LaForum, as I've written here before,

"Those among us denying that there is "something" wrong with our hero sure have difficulties in listening and watching correctly.
You do not have to be a doctor or neurologist to see and feel that Keith is far off his abilities (and usual behaviour) he showed us on past tours - your emotional intelligence should tell you that there is something severe that has happened to his state of health...
As I've said before, these days I would rather not see Keith on stage at all than seeing him in such a state because it's hurting."

The numerous YouTube clips that you've mentioned show exactly what you're talking about - and it's not just one or two songs or one or two bum notes. People who do not recognize this either belong to the mainstream concert goers or have a problem with hearing.

I play myself and definitely know what I'm talking about. What old Keef is showing here is hardly up to amateur standards. Man, it's just a shame, I feel sorry not only for him but for the whole band. The last tour I would have imagined to be a big bang - but in a different sense.

Posted by: brainer ()
Date: July 1, 2007 00:52

Ok now i see. In another thread someone tried to tell me Brian was an amateur and now poor Keith "is hardly up to amateur standards( as bob05 posted).I honestly think one should stop jumping around in front of young people when you grow a little older.What i feel sorry for is to hear him called "grandpa ,old uncle Keith etc.!!

Date: July 1, 2007 01:22

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
>

>
> So - we are talking about individual tastes here ?

No, it's not that and you know I'm right. BUt it doesnt mean he can't play, itmeans he has some problem, some real deal, this tour. I'm not deaf or blinde and yes I too play the guitar and the piano (took lessons in classical piano from the age of five to twenty) and I have a trained ear and he is my old hero.

> I like this, but I don't like that? That's taste.
> That's not there is "something wrong with Keith",
> is it?

Can you honsetly say there is nothing wrong with him this tour? This is not just about being strung out. It's the energy and the fact he plays almost a whole song in the wrong key and stops playing etc. No, despite being strung out and sometimes totally in the fog he alwyas delivered in the 70s and 80s, he was younger. Is it his age? I doubt it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 1, 2007 01:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 01:44 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 1, 2007 01:42

I have only hung out here for three years but I sense
a very déja vù- or repetitive feeling around this...
last years coconut accident, the very start of ABB tour...
EVery new leg, esp. US & Europe...
Always this bashin'.

Date: July 1, 2007 01:45

LA FORUM Wrote:
Can you honsetly say there is nothing wrong with
> him this tour? This is not just about being strung
> out. It's the energy and the fact he plays almost
> a whole song in the wrong key and stops playing
> etc. No, despite being strung out and sometimes
> totally in the fog he alwyas delivered in the 70s
> and 80s, he was younger. Is it his age? I doubt
> it.

WHEN he played the whole song in wrong key?
WHEN he stoped playing?

you mean Happy in Paris or wherever - he stoped playing to continue the song after the bands get directed and it was great.

he is getting older
and I think we are freaking out a little bit
some will defend Keith
some will bash him
but maybe it's these are just different ways of espressing our fears

but...for now Stones are in Europe?

let's have a party ?
hm?

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: July 1, 2007 01:59

PiotrRSpl Wrote:

> but...for now Stones are in Europe?
>
> let's have a party ?
> hm?

Well it seems that people experience different things at the same show. Some reports tells us that Keiths on fire and never been better and others tells us that he can't play a single note.
Well I've heard things from this tour that didn't sound that great, but I've always heard things from live Stones shows that didn't sound well. It's a part of this great band. Sometimes they just hit it and other times it's just okay.
I am a bit concerned over all the reports about Keith...I've seen the photos and watched and listened to Youtube. And I really don't think he looks that well.
But for now I'll look forward to the concert in Copenhagen and will give my oppinion after that.

And how sick was Keith tonight? Any experts...
Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: July 1, 2007 01:44

Keep the health diagnosis comming. You self made doctors.

Re: And how sick was Keith tonight? Any experts...
Date: July 1, 2007 01:49

Keef RULEZ!
I don't care what anyone says!

It's just Keef being Keef

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 1, 2007 01:59

They went stuff themselves.
They're back tomorrow.

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: July 1, 2007 02:00

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> They went stuff themselves.
> They're back tomorrow.

Well get them then

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 1, 2007 02:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 02:08 by NICOS.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home