Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Revisiting 1981 and "Tattoo You"
Date: June 22, 2007 09:44

p.p.s hang fire kills!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 22, 2007 10:21

Those were the days.

I was about 13 years old when ER was out as a single and I thought Micks falsetto was really cool at the time. I must have been a nightmare for my parents and little sister, going around the house using this horrible voice 13 year old boys have to cope with, singing "Is there nothing I can say nothing I can do" all the time. I must be the only fan around here who became a fan because of ER as a single.

Then I bought the album ER and discovered all those grooving songs. Basically there is not much wrong with the album, when it is the first thing you ever hear from the boys. It's got rock, it's got reggae, it's got blues, it's got disco, it's got punk, it's got a latin shuffle, to cut it short: it shows the enormous diversity of the Stones and I loved it at the time (edit: still do actually).

Before TY came out I bought myself a double-album collection that was out in the Netherlands with the name "Stones Story" which gave me a good overview of their work so far. I must have played it 1.000 times, discovering new great songs every time I played it.

And then the moment Start Me Up was played for the first time on the radio. I had my tape recorder ready and recorded the introduction by the DJ as well in my nerves. I played it over and over again at first and could even mimmick the introduction from the DJ at the end.

From that moment on not a day passed by without listening to the Stones I guess.

The album TY followed soon and Long black limousine, T&A, Slave and WAY were the highlights in my opinion at the time. By now it still is one of my favorites that I play at least once every week. Heaven is not only a good song to chill to, by the way winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-22 10:23 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 22, 2007 12:59

The entire slow side of Tattoo is along with side 2 of Exile( Sweet Vagina to Loving Cup)probably the most cohesive work they have ever assembled. It just flows perfectly baby. BTW HEAVEN is a great song.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 13:10

Tattoo You - is the last classic Rolling Stones album!

Posted by: Marked For Life ()
Date: June 22, 2007 16:23

I go tinto the stones in 1988 by a freind. It was the summer, I was 13. We rented Let Spend The Night Together, Man was I hooked that video opitimzes every thing i loved and love about the stones, Tattoo You subsequently followed and was the meat and potatoes of my summer listening experience along with Rewind and Some Girls. The album is a perfect 10 in my book. We used to blast Neighbours as loud as we could on our holidays in early in the morning after i slept over to try and get attention from these two hot sister that tanned next door. LOL, the song was perfect, it was snooty and rebelious with a tongue in cheek sort of way. Start Me Up is the ultimate instante make you feel good song. And i have alwasy loved Jaggers sly and sexaul conviction when he say "Spread out the oil, the gasoline I walk smooth, ride in a mean, mean machine", I love everything about Tattoo You. Heaven is great too it is a cool tune to chill out to while tanning in the hot sun, when the ground is like hazey from the heat and your kinda in a trance from the sun beating on your face. I think i will have to blast Tattoo You today.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 22, 2007 16:24

Theres a great 2 cd boot called "Tattoo Too" which has many alternate versions & mixes. Well recommended.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: June 22, 2007 17:03

Heaven is my favourite song on the album!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 22, 2007 17:24

Tattoo You is sniffing on the big 4, for me too
Marvellous sound on that album - and somehow I don't like to listen to the CD, it's like it HAS to be on vinyl. Especially the last 4 songs on side A, it has such a windy feel - and the CD don't capture this.
Great cover too - reminds me of Aladdin Sane

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 22, 2007 23:36

SMU was the song wich got me to the Stones. But after the years, well, maybe it´s overrated. But Tattoo you is really a good records but I also won´t call it a LP because of it´s making. I think only two songs (Heaven, Neighbours) were recorded and the rest are leftovers. So it won´t represent any phase or time of the stones. But anyway, it´s a great record to listen to. Emotional Rescue, the album is quite good because there´s really this feeling about the end of the 70´s and the beginning of the 80´s. But in a kind of way it´s the pardner to Some Girls or maybe, please, don´t kill me, the second record of a double LP...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 22, 2007 23:48

1981 was an AMAZING Rolling Stones year for me.

I shook Keith's hand and watched the Stones shoot the video for "Waiting On A Friend" a few blocks from my apartment in NYC.

Then later that summer... from an old personal sketchbook:

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 23, 2007 00:40

The second half of TY is brilliant. I would describe it as "grown up" kind of music.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: June 23, 2007 00:59

bluesinc. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I think
> only two songs (Heaven, Neighbours) were recorded
> and the rest are leftovers.

Neighbours is a retake of Send it to me with different lyrics...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 23, 2007 01:03

i belive Heaven is left over from ER sessions

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 23, 2007 09:00

Tattoo You is the last really good Stones album when the old magic could still be found in many of the tracks. Start Me Up was a typical Stones style song many of the longstanding fans could relate to. I disagree with the remark that Emotional Rescue was a poor song. As much as i love Start Me Up i'd hate it if the Stones just kept remaking that type of song over and over again. Emotional Rescue was remarkably effective and very different although Emotional Rescue the album could have done with songs that were a little more fully developed - it's a little sketchy although i love the general direction the Stones were going in at the time.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 23, 2007 16:48

it's_all_wrong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Start Me Up is not overrated, it deserves all the
> fame it gets.

I disagree. It's frequently mentioned as being in the same league with "Honky Tonk Women", "Jumping Jack Flash", and "Brown Sugar" and I don't think it's nearly as good. Just my opinion though. It's a great riff but lyrically, it covers the same old theme as alot of post-"Some Girls" Stones songs.

Date: June 24, 2007 14:37

Start Me Up isn't quite in the same league as Jumpin' Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women and Brown Sugar, i agree. As a song it's not as memorable but i love it's raw energy and in that respect i do think it's one of the Stones best. It seems a lot heavier sounding that the stripped down style of the Some Girls and also the more experimental Emotional Rescue tracks.

The only songs i'm not particuarly keen on on Tattoo You are Black Limousine and in particular Neighbours, which at the time of the album's release i disliked intensely. My dislike has mellowed however after the poorer quality of much that has followed since. I always thought Worried About You was a great track and i'm pleased of its higher profile in more recent years. The albums that have followed are merely a shadow in terms of quality when placed alongside Tattoo You.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: June 24, 2007 14:44

for the longest time i was never a big fan of 'waiting on a friend' but then i gave it a closer listen and it one of the finest songs that the stones have ever put out. from start to finish it is perfectly constructed with an almost spainish feel,it is almost a book end to 'sweet black angel'. just seems like this song should close out the album...

Date: June 24, 2007 19:19

Waiting On A Friend, Start Me Up and Worried About You are the 3 best tracks on the album in my opinion.

I've always considered Waiting On A Friend as a Stones classic alongside other classic ballads like Wild Horses and Angie. It could hold its own with any of their other songs.
Worried About You is a fine example of how effective Jagger's falsetto can be at its best and it contrasts well with his more typical raw vocals later in the song. The falsetto's great because it shows the Stones were still prepared to incorporate new elements into their sound as they did also with Emotional Rescue.
Hang Fire and Little T+A are very entertaining but don't quite reach classic status and Slave is a very effective groove song which perhaps wouldn't be to everyones taste.
The ballad side of the album is a touch stronger, i feel. Tops is a fine soul ballad, Heaven is a very unusual (for the Stones) atmosopheric song which again shows the Stones breaking new ground most effectively and No Use In Crying again shows the Stones trying something a little different although i won't pretend it's the albums most effective ballad. It's highly effective nevertheless even if the chorus meanders a little.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 27, 2007 20:51

recording of neighbours & heaven started oct 1980, emotional rescue was released in sumer 1980. it´s true that these are the only originals recorded for tatoo you. heaven was a jam wich was started by mick jagger while waiting for keith in the studio.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home