Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Revisiting 1981 and "Tattoo You"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:07

For those of us old remember, let me take you back to 1980. I was sitting with some buddies in a car cruising down the interstate, and the new Stones single was announced on the radio. Then came "Emotional Rescue". I didn't know what to think. The general consensus was that it was a sucky single.

Now, let's fast forward to 1981. I was at a beer shop with my then-girlfriend, and the place had a great sound system (for that time). Here comes the opening riff to "Start Me Up" over the radio. Damn -- they are back! I was tempted to start dancing in the aisle. It was an unforgettable moment. Faith restored. That was also the year I saw them live.

So, I'm now listening to the remastered CD, and am reminded of what a great album "Tattoo You" was (and is). A rockin' side, and an experimental side.

You had to be there to fully appreciate how special that reaffirmation was.

Re: Revisiting 1981 and "Tattoo You"
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:10

i was there and i remember my first radio listen to SMU - very exciting, indeed. It was essentially THE song of the summer of '81. But, ER was no disappointment to me at all - still isn't. Proved they still had some originality and a sense of humor about them. Album-wise ER remains among my favorites....

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:13

Except for HEAVEN...the album is close to a master piece...probably their 6th best album after the big 4 and some girls.

PECMAN

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:15

First time I realized the Stones were existing. I was 14.

Tatoo is a MUST : "heaven" a great Mick thing, unique. I wish he could make more like that one.
Waiting on a friend remains one of my favourites.

the remaster has the extended version of slave : great

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:16

I think "Slave" is an absolute masterpiece!!!

Date: June 22, 2007 01:18

Pecman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Except for HEAVEN...the album is close to a master
> piece...probably their 6th best album after the
> big 4 and some girls.
>

yeah, i think that argument can easily be made. However, although its probably not a legitimate gripe, I personally tend to downgrade TY just because of the fact that it's mostly a collection of leftovers from other albums...and, in a sense it really doesn't actually "sound" like an album nearly so much as its predecessor....

Date: June 22, 2007 01:19

StonesTod, I agree about ER -- the album had many better choices for an opening single, though. That's what spoiled it for me. The punk spirit was still there, but the band chose not to exploit it for airplay. I still can't figure that one out. Hell, I would've picked "Where The Boys Go" or "Send It To Me" over "ER" as the single.

Date: June 22, 2007 01:20

Hey - Boys Go is right there in my top 10 favorite stones songs...i hear ya. But, ER (the song) sounded "fresh" and unique in 1980 and I gave them credit for not going "safe" this once....

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:21

"Where The Boys Go" is one of the only stones tracks that I really dislike.
I can't really explain why, it just gets on my nerves. Otherwise, I love the ER album.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:24

I, too remember when Start Me Up first came on the radio. Some buddies and I had the radio on when the DJ announced the new Stones single. One of my buddies said "they better come up with something better than "Emotional Rescue", because that sucked and they'll be done". Well, SMU came blasting out of the speakers, and was just what the doctor ordered, and blew us all away. We listened to that record all summer, and had an awsome time at the 2nd S.F. show.

Date: June 22, 2007 01:25

Back to "Tattoo" -- side 2 is a great late-night listen. "Heaven" is just that, which is why I call this side an experimental one. The band explores "new age" before it even had a name.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:27

at a kegger on cape cod, little T&A blasting on the sound system...cute boston girls in shorts, T-shirts,and bikinis...smoking marlboros and letting it hang from our lips like keith as we jammed to the solo worried about you...beer in go cups on the back deck yelling say what the hell hang fire...such a great summer...

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()

tattoo you is a great album.

all great songs.

start me up is overrated though.

Posted by: svendborg ()

Great album.
By the way Pecman...the big 4? Could you mention them, would to see if we aggree on that one :-)

Date: June 22, 2007 01:30

svendborg Wrote:
> Great album.
> By the way Pecman...the big 4? Could you mention
> them, would to see if we aggree on that one :-)

sorry for interrupting here - but there is no debate allowed about the Big 4. BB,LIB,SF,EOMS. always been that way; always will be....

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:40

StonesTod Wrote:
> svendborg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> sorry for interrupting here - but there is no
> debate allowed about the Big 4. BB,LIB,SF,EOMS.
> always been that way; always will be....

Well not a bad choice. If BB means Beggars banquet...I totally aggree :-)

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 03:09

I really like Tatoo You. I do think "Start Me Up" is quite overrated. Not that it's a bad song. It's good, it's just not GREAT as far as I'm concerned.

"Slave" is good and so is "T & A" but the second side is the part I really love. Never been that keen on "Heaven" but I love "Worried About You" and "Tops" and "No Use In Crying". "Waiting On A Friend" is great too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 22, 2007 03:23

Just great - start (me up) to finish. My first tour also. Still near and dear to my heart.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 22, 2007 04:52

'Worried About You' and 'Little T&A' kick ass! Those two songs alone make the album worth having, even for non-Stones fans. Dang.....how can anybody NOT be a Stones fan??!!!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 05:01

I've always loved the rockin' side.
Side two has really grown on me since '81....the older I got the move I've liked it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 05:10

Pecman Wrote:
> Except for HEAVEN...the album is close to a master
> piece...probably their 6th best album after the
> big 4 and some girls.
>
> PECMAN

Heaven is one of my favorite, if not my outright favorite tracks on the album.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 05:15

Heaven is a beautiful song...well, it's not really much of a song, but the dreamy ethereal soundscapes are fantastic, and really unlike anything else they've ever done. It's a great track to chill out to.

Posted by: Landover 81 ()
Date: June 22, 2007 05:19

If SMU is overrated then Slave is most definitelty underrated.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: June 22, 2007 06:03

Tops is damn catchy

Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: June 22, 2007 07:24

Start me up en tattoo You made me a Stones fan and that's why that song and that album are stil special to me. As a 12 year old kid I wasn't really into side B for a while. When they released WOAF as a single I thought: Hey, what a great song is that on the album too??? Then I started listening to side B as well and all the songs became my favourite and became to me the soundtrack of spring and summer 1982, so a year after the original release. But I got into the rest of Stonesmusic after hearing Start me Up in 1981.

Tattoo You is still my favourite Stonesalbum

P.R

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 22, 2007 08:10

>One of my buddies said "they better come up with something better than "Emotional Rescue", because that sucked and they'll be done".

How did you & your buddies miss "She's So Cold" on the radio??

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: June 22, 2007 08:53

Start Me Up is not overrated, it deserves all the fame it gets.

Althought the title track is the best song on ER, they could have definitely picked a better single.

Date: June 22, 2007 09:37

whilst its probably not their technical best, tattoo you is indeed my favourite album. despite the fact that i was a glimmer (twin) in mick's eye when it came out . . .

p.s. you go, tod! ER is hot hot hot!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-22 09:38 by the singer not the bong.

Posted by: Disco Boy ()
Date: June 22, 2007 09:43

I've heard SMU so many times I find it a bit dull but there is a great rough mix of it with the guitars much more to the front although I can't remember which boot it's on now.

Date: June 22, 2007 09:44

p.s. black limousine, tops, and worried about you are all in my personal top 10.

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home